Why does vidya love to spam the documents folder? I hate this shit. Who started this meme?

Why does vidya love to spam the documents folder? I hate this shit. Who started this meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/
archive.is/DbmnX
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'd rather have all vidya save in the exact same place, instead of having to google where the games puts the saves files, because there are games where the save file is not in Documents, nor in AppData/whatever, nor in the Game Folder.

Why the documents? Why not just the game folder?

blizzard is fucking retarded

Well, games nowadays can no longer write into their own installation folder (no write access to Program files for nom-admins), they have to save shit in the user folder. So it's either a new folder in Users\, cluttering everything, or using some subfolder.
The 'games' folder is relatively new, pictures music videos and downloads would be nonsensical. So that leaves devs with either the documents folder or those shitty 'AppData' subfolders which no one understands

tl;dr: blame Microsoft

This. Standardization is good for this kind of technical stuff.

It's much easier to enter Documents and have a list of folders with the game name and in it just the save files, instead of going through all the places where the games where installed(some might be in Program Files X86, some in Program Files, some in Games, some in Steam Folder, you might even have multiple drivers with multiple games on each one of them), but even if you install all your games in the same folder, you still have to go through the hierarchy of the game's folders, because the save file might be in something like Game_Name/Application/2/x/h/Saves.
Another reason, and I am not 100% sure if this is true, but because the default installation is in C:\Program Files you need Administrator privilleges to install, and even if the game is installed in C:\Program Files, it might not have the privileges necessary in order to create a save file. Every time you would try to save the game a Windows alert windows pops in asking if you allow the game to create a new file, but again I am not 100% sure about this.

That's how it used to be. It's a pain in the ass to backup saves when they do that.

all games should just be portable

What do you mean by that? Not requiring an install? Well if it's running from a DVD/USB stick then you WILL have longer loading times and worse performance, because it takes longer for the CPU to access the data from a DVD or external hard-drive, than the internal one. If ti's to put it in the RAM, that's not a good idea, for several reason, plus you would need to download more RAM :^). If ti's just to copy and paste the installed version of the game, it can work, and there are games that work this way, but you will have problems regarding Hardware and Software optimization among other stuff, plus you still need to install the DLLs.

Fucking this.

you need administrator access in order to write into the Program Files directory

Not really, the way it generally works is that the program checks the folder that it's located in for DLLs first (unless it's designed otherwise), and then it checks places like System32 and SysWOW64.

Fuck this meme, I'm going to Linux

SysWOW64 is a subdirectory located in C:\Windows that is like System32, but for 32-bit stuff. It's obviously only present on 64-bit Windows installations.

maybe if you're retarded

The guy was joking, autismo

Tell me why do some games create folders in Local, while other create in LocalLow, and others create in Roaming?

welcome home

just install mint and use the proprietary drivers they actually work

Everyone has a mydocuments not everyone has my games

Because Windows. Programs can and will shit folders and files wherever they please.

Microsoft's UWP app shit was supposed to fix this but nobody wants to touch windows "apps" so it will be like this until Microsoft stops sucking dick, so effectively forever.

something to with muh multi-users and permissions.
You wouldn't want FUCCBOI user to play on your save file, that's assuming you let degenerates play on your computer as well.

Simple. Remap the users' documents folders on the file storage HDDs instead of the ssd.

Windows can do that, right?

Yes. It takes some effort but you can make it so every time a program tries to put/look for a file in say C:users/fuck it'll instead look in F:fuck
I don't remember how but I remember doing it to my desktop because I use my desktop for large files and my C drive is tiny and an SSD.

But the Desktop is on the C drive.

Not anymore.

So, microsoft is trying to be unix-y without any of the good parts of being unix-like?

If you are moving to a new machine, it's easier to transfer saves if they're all stored in the same directory as your other documents

Microsoft wants Unix(inb4 the GNU+Unix copypasta) to be part of the Winodws operating system.
zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/

Also archive link archive.is/DbmnX

I remember along time ago when I was like 13 some old computer tech wizard recommended when I install windows to change the C: drive letter to something different because most viruses look for the C: drive. I really don't know how much truth that was then or if it even applies to now or if he was just full of shit.

There are also games that expect you're installing them on C: and completely shit themselves if you don't.

Blame M$.

Since Windows 7 you can easily pick a different folder to save the shit in and every program will know, even older ones. It aint as much of a fuckfest anymore.

The whole folder-system in microsoft is a fuckfest.

Forget that, someone explain the fresh hell that is AppData structure is
.>>12587176
EXPLAIN THIS

I had to do that for an entire install of XP when my drive letters got fucked and permanently stuck with XP on D: through some clusterfuck.

THIS

But not all games save in the same place so it's not true that it makes it easier. I also don't put games in program files that's stupid. There's a specific directory I have just for games.

How does going to /games/YourGame/ a hassle? How does that make it harder to backup saves? I always know where my games are but if I want to know where the saves are I have to check PC gaming wiki. That outright tells you what's the fucking hassle.

Not mine.
My desktop is in E:\