Pathfinder cRPG announced

owlcatgames.com/

I'm cautiously optimistic

what the fuck, man? I thought the whole draw of tabletop shit was making and sharing your own campaigns.

something tells me it'll be resoundingly shit on like every other throwback crpg when it's literally what all the crpg autists have been begging for.

I wonder if they'll ever realize those classic CRPGs are just pretty shit

into the trash

Great, if there's one thing Paizo needs, it's more shekels for making a lazy 3.5 clone. The fact that the Silent Storm devs still work is the only good news about this.

/tg/ laughs at you.

It's based on a module that's actually pretty good. If they don't fuck with the mechanics it should be at least as good as Temple of Elemental Evil .

Nope, it really irks me to see black people in medieval gear.

gotta get those quota shekels

It really shows their mindset and its a big red flag.

GET THE NEXUS AND NEVERWINTER VAULTS READY, IT'S 3.5X TIME BOOGALOO.

We're still probably getting lesbian arab preist, dyke elves, trannny halflings and gnomes, tranny dwarf, and Super awesome Asmodian run-3rd Reich tho.

And Great Old Ones trying to kill the Pozzed universe and it's gods.

If it's like NWN the first Campaign will be shit but everything else after that, including patches might be salvageable.

But the most important thing is-
Conjuration and necromancy summons minions hacing a cap or not, an not being ONE FUCKING MINION

A benefit to PF Undead is that Liches take from their older 1e rules in progression to Demilichdom, and the Vampires are pretty much the Ravenloft campaign setting ones, nosferatu, regular, and asian (Missing much more here, but it's a start) And it's dependent on toolset, and who they hire for the music.

If it's Jeremy Soule, we may very well have a hit, but we also run the Risk of PF's MASSIVE TRANNY DEV TEAM ruining everything with ugly models, bloat, or even repeats of issues that plagued the Like of Infinity engine games and NWN games alike.

lastly, Persistant servers and online play, or even better, Campaign Co-OP.

This- Plus Pozio's Spelljammer clone may very well shit all over 5e and just how little they've done to market their shit, Neverwinter Online, and the sheer Poz in their works have not done many favours, nect to present Achetypes as if a new feature, despite having done it in 3.5 themselves with "Class Variants" All PF did was adapt it to functionality removing some difficulty in progression where that comes to term.

PF has many copyrights to boot, we -May- get something out of this.

Best not to get on release, Wait say 6 months after for modding tools, patches, fixes and DLC (Please god let it not be a clusterfuck like Pillars of Eternity with all that Day 1 DLC, pre order special event crap)

Eh, just wait and see

NOPE

I thought he was a cuck these days.

If all goes well we get a Semi decent Game engine with moddable tools, active community on the Nexus, online support, persistant servers, Co-Op, no nerfing or cut corners on NOT converting P&P to actual fuckign game code which can fuck so many things over it's not even funny, We are dealing with Pozio, we may get Bioware level shit here And we may be dealing with Texture overhauls because I expect the least ammount of decency in that area where anything AAA is in the works is concerned.

I grade A guarantee we're getting the Tranny Dwarf ((Lizard)) Spirit Shaman though, or an NPC doing the nu-5e-thing of saying they're Trans.

Worse Case scenario?
Something worse than everything bad about Sword Coast Legends, Pillars of Eternity, and that "Homage To Planescape" crap that came out recently.

It will be shit, doubly so because it's Pathfinder, the most pozzed setting this side of Numenera.

NWN campaign with other Holla Forumsirgins when?

So, mpreg.

Honestly I wish we got a better 4e gme thn fucking MMO, that shit was built for vidya.

I have no idea how you expect this not to be shit after basically every other "remember the golden age of cRPGs guyze" nostalgia bait ended being complete trash.

It's good seeing this genre become popular again but
Is literally writing for 4 other CRPGs. His name is just a meme at this point.

Fairly sure there are VAST number of aberrations, and horrors in PF that do that.

I would make a 4e game, but I dont know how acquiring the license would work

So, these pronouns for your new game come in boxes of 50.
For how many boxes can I put you down for, Xir?

If you had asked me four of five years ago I'd have been ecstatic, but after PoE, Torment, Wasteland 2 and Tyranny all turned out to be complete trash I have no faith any of the old "legends" have what it takes to make a game that isn't shit.

All the more likely they'll shove a few of them in there.

Everything is shit and this will be no exception. but I hope I'm wrong.

This is going to be absolute fucking shit and I'm going to laugh all the way to the bank when I get so say "I told you so".

Is this more turn based wank?

What does it matter when the writing will make Inquisition look positively right wing?

Holy fuck just stop with the boring ass fantasy rpgs

The real tragedy is that they're not even medieval in nature. They all play just like a bunch of San Francisco hipsters stuck in a renaissance fair. What's the fucking point of a fantasy setting if it's just a cosplay convention?

But yeah, some more novel settings would be great. Why the fuck is there no Western with supernatural elements cRPG?

cause crpgs died in the 80s and 90s with devs who were more passionate about them. The only thing you can do is make one yourself and try to get it into the public eye

1: It will be interesting to see how good avelone still is, if hopefully they let him off the leash to do whatever the fuck he wants with the story/characters

2: As said, it'll still depend on whether or not the engine is actually good/fun. I'm sure I'll pirate it once it comes out.

wait, what's all this shit about Pathfinder having tranny shit in it? I thought it was some DnD setting?

There was this Divinity Original Sin 2, gamemaster mode

Im not having any hope for that either, not when the devs went "50% of all gamers are female and we want that audience". Good fucking luck trying to get women to play a fucking CRPG

Pathfinder has gotten pretty pozzed in the last couple years. D&D 5e is only slightly pozzed, only touching the Curse of Strahd campaign. This was recent though, so it'll probably get worse. UA has been pretty decent so here's hoping they don't shit the bed.

/tg/ is my shitty hobby salvageable?

Fuck off nigger

My only interest for that comes from it having a DM system similar to what NWN had.

I liked OS but seeing certain red flags just makes me lose all hope of a decent sequel. Maybe these devs prove me wrong though

you know the dumb bitch who wrote the baldur's gate enhanced edition DLC dragonspear thing? she used to write for paizo in their defense, they fired her because her modules were overwhelmingly panned by everyone

Actually, that's a cursed belt enchanted with Zagig's Gender shift, the grade a most useful spell when stacked with the Book of Vile Darkness's Sacrifice rules, and being a vampire, because Midnight Bliss

Also, in PF the Gender change potion comes DIRT cheap, which makes the tranny forcing even funnier.

Same here. Monkey paw is true. The moment there is a game where you can play as undead, has useful polymorphic magic, and summoning creatures is more than "spawn friendly but mostly useless creature," there is plenty of bad to match it. Why can't they never understand that desperately chasing one segment of potential audience might alienate significant portion of their old one?

Pathfinder is caster edition for fags who got mad at 4e for being good and not more 3.5e caster edition crap.

So this game had fucking better have good mage gameplay or it's trash.

Yeah okay.

t. caster edition fag who thought 3.5e wasn't irredeemable garbage

Or I'm a DM and don't want to organize my dungeons around fucking MMO cooldowns.

3.5 is irredeemable garbage, but that doesn't make 4e good. Combat is incredibly tedious unless you house-rule the shit out of it.

Hey great. PF is one of the best rulesets. 4e and 5e are garbage, and 2e is too arbitrary and archaic.

For my tabletop group, I'm going to make an Arcanist archetyped into a White Mage for spontaneous Cure spells, be neutral, and multiclass into a Cleric for spontaneous Inflict spells. I'm going to archetype the Cleric into an Ecclesitheurge so I can change my secondary domain on rest, and at a higher level I will take levels in Mystic Theurge so I can swap my spell slots around

I should still note that Paizo and the setting itself is still SJW garbage, I just like the rules and mechanics

Prepare for a game where casters are OP and Martial class will be nerfed to hell…and you need third party mods for the martial characters to be useful.

It's funny because having rogue talents and barbarian rage "powers" is completely stupid in terms of feeling, and it still doesn't help them compensate. But just as well, Wizards have always been the strongest class in any game.

Yeah, but at least the Barbarian and the Rogue used to have something to do even when the casters became gods. Now? Everything can be subsumed by the casters.

Instant trash.

Name a game where Wizards don't eventually become OP as shit
Hard mode: Melee classes don't get stupid "powers" to compensate

Legend of grimrock

Y-yeah, well, I haven't played it so that doesn't count!

How dare you! Raging Swimmer is the shit!

People actually play that?

It's hilarious and probably amazing in an aquatic setting, but we're talking about raw power. It doesn't really contribute anything

Yes, people actually played some good games. This is your first and final (you) from me

kek

Its either that or even worse mostly Vita bound Japanese Dungeon Crawlers.

I had one faggot here arguing that Japanese Wizardry was good.

Do you not know what "cautiously" means?

There's Clandestine, but it's more of a stealth game with RPG elements. There also is a pirate RPG in Risen 2, but it's crap

Aw shit.

Don't get your panties in a twist. I am just amazed that people can stand that game's asinine control scheme
They gave it a freaking automap, adding some sort of keyboards for attacking or using known spells wouldn't have killed them

Did they give up on that mmo they scam funded?

How does it feel to be fucking failures at table-top you d20-system loving motherfuckers?

Oh how the mighty has fallen

Book of Weaboo Fightan Magi- I mean Path of War when? People in DSP also worked on the ToB. Oh, and Psionics when?

huh, really makes me think its going to be trash.

Okay so there are plenty of things that can go wrong with this, but I'll say its doable.

Temple of Elemental Evil was really close to being a really solid game, it decided to go with a giant dungeon crawl and not have much of a story. The combat system proved 3x mechanics can work in a video game. Though the devs mentioned something on the facebook group about it being real time with pause. It worked in IWD2 with 3x stuff so it can still work here. Pathfinder is the same fucking game after all.

Kingmaker was a pretty solid AP, built specifically to be exploration and open world. They're going to need to add a lot more shit to make it work though, the encounters and quests in an AP take longer and are more involved than in a video game. They had better not lean on whatever paizo put out.

I really really hope they do something about the kingdom building mechanics, because thats going to need to be made from scratch. The pathfinder rules were shit and heavily exploitable. Sure in a table top game these things can be changed and stuff can be thrown out but as I recall your best bet in kingmaker was siphoning all the money you could from the town and crafting magic items like an asshole.

That being said there's no way wizards can pull the same shit in a CRPG that they can in tabletop pathfinder, so the town shit worries me less.

Sadly, I foresee this shitting the bed and ending up with no substance what so ever. I hope I'm wrong. Have fun making friends with all those poorly built iconic.

I fear your optimism is unfounded.

I mean rogue talents we're always shit except maybe crippling strike, but you're working your ass off to make that useful. Barbarians eventually got a couple good ones in one of the fuck ton of supplements. Come and Get Me lets them make a ton of attacks and there's some stuff you can manipulate with rage cycling blah blaah blaah. It requires a fair amount of 'tism to make it viable.

In the end you're right, by 13th level both classes might as well be free harder to transport summons for the wizard. God forbid you give that fucker more than a week of downtime.

Another bonus to pozfinder, arcane archers are actually good.
I don't think they have many prestige classes this time, so the character building won't be as good as NWN or NWN 2.

Chris is not a good writer

Would you rather have a DnD 4e game? Or another of those Pillars shitshows?
3.5 isn't great but it has been proven to work well in games.

Skyrim. End game spells take forever to cast and are too situational. Early and mid game spells do not scale and are barely usable later on.

In original Fable, each play style is equally powerful in the end.

Magic in around a half of Final Fantasy games magic is less useful than other approaches.

He was just a guest writer in both Tides and PoE. Didn't know he had anything to do with Tranny.
I'm surprised you didn't mention him working on Prey considering how shit the writing is in that game.

Looks nice but god who put fucking women in here to present that kind of nerd thing ?

The original, or the new one?

The pozzing of Pathfinder is somewhat exaggerated. The worst offences were made by a no-talent hack who was fired because literally everyone hated her and her work.
The rules really need to be rewritten to nerf casters down to 2e levels though. I'm saying this as someone who almost always rolls a wizard. Forbidding casting after a five foot step seems to be a good place to start, and fighters should get the combat tactics options from Unchained by default.

That's literally the opposite of what he was implying you fucking donut

I want to believe.

Is there a decent PNP RPG that isn't completely pozzed at this point?

I love how people still post this video I did and linked to Holla Forums the day that expansion came out. Faggots still argue on my youtube channel over it, but I consider it a win having caused Amber McStinkyCunt whatever her name was to get fired by Beamdog.

It's not exactly what you want but you may like it.

Fallout Tactics 2

xD

How is that?

It's alright but the luck aspect is a hole load of fuck.
Basically every character has a luck bar that they can use to perform special actions and shit, the luck bar increases when you get hit and decreases when an attack on you misses. I don't really remember this part but I think luck also influenced how the % to hit when an attack was made on you.

FATAL and RaHoWa, naturally. :^)

Also Myfarog, but you're better off just playing something else and adding a "fags go in the bog" houserule, which is in Myfarog's RAW.

Now that I think about it, the FFG Warhammer RPGs are generally considered good and unpozzed by virtue of the setting.

I just can't seem to muster any enthusiasm for cRPGs anymore. They're one of my favourite genres, but after Pillars of Boredom, Tranny, Planescape: Nu-male era, and other shit I just don't have any hope for it. It's going to be shit and probably a SJW mouthpiece. Reminder that while Avellone is a decent writer, he's still a libtard that won't oppose others inserting gender politics and shit.

My face is tired from dealing with all those pathfinders.

Look for security in OSRs.

The new one obviously, he was hired by "Arkane studios" after leaving Obsidian. Which means he definitely worked on nuPrey to some capacity.

I want this to be good, because kingmaker as a campaign concept is actually pretty rad, but if they actually use pathfinder its fucked right from the start.

Their organized form of play, 'pathfinder society', only covers level 1-12. It also has pages upon pages of edits to their existing rules in a desperate attempt to balance the system, usually by removing the very content they publish (which you have to buy to use goy). The fact that the megadungeon they published not too long ago only went to 13 is basically Paizo admitting that they have no fucking idea how to balance things late game in a mechanics heavy dungeon crawl, which makes up a huge chunk of what crpgs are.

Actually, they don't really know how to balance the game at all. They publish shit like 'Sacred Geometry', a feat that lets you do simple addition to do max damage on a spell for free. Or their old ring of continuation, which used to just make any spell you wanted permanent. And then there was the free action errata with Bulman pretending to be a heroic adventurer by tying his mouse to his hand. Or nobody fixing the Ice Tomb witch hex until the devs got bullied by a crowd on REDDIT of all places. Or the fact that Glorious Heat STILL isn't errata'd like they wanted to even when its been republished. Or the 'no double dipping on stats' errata with things like charisma synergy and yet their own published adventures break those rules.

The only way I see this working is if they just use the Paizo name and nothing else, because that ruleset is a hot pile of dogshit.

I still can't believe somebody is actively working on that mmo

MOTHERFUCKERS LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT CASTER EDITION

NOW Y'ALL IN VIDYA LAND MIGHT NOT KNOW THIS BUT IN PEN AND PAPER LAND BALANCE IS A DIFFERENT ISSUE ALTOGETHER.
Basically, in vidya, balance is meant to do two things: It's meant to allow for competitive variety (not everything playing is using x) and for gameplay variety (there are more options to play than x). In pen and paper, balance is so that everyone in a group of players can contribute roughly equally. Everyone is meant to have fun, it's not a competitive measure. What this boils down to is that everyone of level x is meant to be of roughly the same strength - it's why 'levels' exist at all as a construct. If a level x class y is stronger than level x class z, then there's no point to levels at all and the whole mess falls apart, since a lot of encounter design and DM stuff is centered around the average level of the party. So if one class is simply /better/, then it's harder to make challenging and enjoyable content for a party with one or more of that class. They might steamroll the content, and make it impossible for the other players to have fun as well (because they don't get to do anything.)

This has basically been a problem since the early editions of Dungeons and Dragons. Since the wizard has many more options than the fighter, having a variety of spells, it's very hard to balance around them except at the very early levels of play. As levels progress, the wizard gains many more options than the fighter, even excelling at areas of play that the fighter is supposed to. The balancing factor is SUPPOSED to be the fact that the Wizard can't cast forever - he has limited supply of spells. The fighter can go all day. But many players work around this, and there are even wizard spells that do the same (by providing a safe place for them to rest even in hostile territory).
Pathfinder almost solved the problem in a number of ways, then THIS FAGGOT ruined it by trying to adhere to realism for one class and ignoring it for others. Basically, basing the capabilities of trained and talented fighters on what HE, MR. PASTY MCGAMER can do. He limits at every opportunity the capability of martial (that is, fighty and not magic) classes all the fucking time with this shit, from crossbows to punching to weapon cords to quick draw. You wanna know why I have little hope for this sort of game?

It's this guy and the fact that he's allowed to do this sort of fucking shit.

Fuck him with a cactus.

Shit

I've been wanting to play a Leprechaun for years.

Don't forget that martial classes were garbage on their own merits, though. The book of Weeaboo Fightan' Magic was the best fucking thing to ever happen to 3.X martial classes.

4e was the best thing to happen to martail classes. The bravura warlord, the brawler fighter, the monk, they were all amazing as hell to play. Granted, they changed the monk to psionics, but that change made a lot of sense anyway.

Have some more.

Also, to really explain how fucked balance is when comparing martial with magic using classes, consider the following:

At high levels, a fighter can do the following:

At high levels, a wizard can do the following:

And thats just pathfinder. If you include the full list of 3.5 spells it gets even more retarded.

welp, garbage

Mostly just because it turned them into melee casters. Also, he specifically mentioned Weaboo Fightan Magic as the best thing that happened to 3.X martial classes, which is entirely true. Because it also basically turned them into melee casters.

The only way to ever get martial classes to be on par with magic classes is basically just to give them spells.

which is funny because a lot of the stuff in the physical attacks doesn't really get all that crazy, i mean bloody path excepted most of them make a lot of sense. it's just allowing the fighter to do more than "i swang sward"

A DnD 4th Edition might actually be better than Paizo's shitfinder whose setting and ruleset are both unredeemable trash. At least 4th Edition had the Warlord class and Martial classes that weren't hot garbage. Optimally I'd have a FantasyCraft setting but that's not in the cards now is it?

Underrail came out a couple years ago and that was decent

What, you make it sound realy bad but it was released december 2015. Thought I was losing it for a second there

Guild Wars is the only game that has actually balanced casters and martials well.

it'll be pozzed to hell, sorry user.
surprised we finally got a D&D 3.5 game but I am gonna guess that they simplify the hell out of the system.

sorry user, it's not going to have module building or DM tools, it's all about a (((crafted narrative experience)))

nope

The "Invisibility" listed there isn't a spell, it's a Psionic discipline, which goes in the back of the PHB in Appendix A, and not in the Spell section. Invisibility as it appears in 1st Edition, in spell form, is not mind-affecting, which is what lets it be of use against Mr Skeletal. However, high level characters, or ones who are intelligent, can still sense you; Dragons, Fighters of around the 10th Level, and so on will all be able to battle against an invisible opponent at only a slight penalty.

In terms of direct balance, level by level, with some variance? Yes. I'd go so far as to say Warriors specifically are even at an advantage over casters in a lot of situation.

BECMI was the best thing that ever happened to Martial Classes. When you're entering the game of Domain Play, it doesn't matter that a Fireball can shoah 50 people, because there's literally thousands of them on the field, and god fucking help you if they brought a Dragon or another mage with them.

That's putting aside things like magic items actually being useful for Fighters and having certain restrictions, feats and skills not being there to allow ridiculous shit, magic resistance actually meaning something, different XP scales for different classes, and all of the other shit that let classes actually have balance.

The feats that can be accomplished by a Fighter at different levels in different editions are telling:

20th Level Fighter, Pre-2nd

20th Level Fighter, 2nd

20th Level Fighter 3rd

20th Level Fighter 4th

There is literally no reason to use anything which has ever been put out for D&D after the acquisition by WOTC, or any game - Pathfinder included - that is a derivative of these.

What was wrong with it?

Final Fantasy Tactics.

Only if we're talking about Wizards specifically. There were several casters that did, undoubtedly and unarguably, break the game. Namely Calculators.

Well they don't call the genre "fantasy" for nothing.

Hey, the guy asked for Wizards specifically…but honestly, I barely used casters in FFT. Oracle? Beowulf got me covered. Healing? Chemists. The only "caster" I would use is the Mediator..and that's only for the Equip Gun passive, just so I can turn back into Wizard, give him a gun and be useful instead of whacking folks with his rod.

Even then, Black Mage summoners were pretty stupid. Not that it matters because everything's stupid when done right in FFT.

Made by the russians/ukrainians?

Could be good.

Dat nigger doe.

Gunslinger Black Mage? Monks who can break stuff with his fists? Done those.

Yeah, how about no.

Report to /tg/ if you want to know the details on how pathfinder has become the most pozed setting (besides WoD) lore-wise AND has the most retarded design team crunch-wise.

Pic related, illustrated design decisions: my mouse and my poor motor skill sucks = chain weapons sucks…

I've argued this before on both sides. Bottom line is. Spell casters are suppose to be fuck all rare and powerful by comparison. Fluff and lore supports this. Characters with heroic levels are also suppose to be very rare in the the context of Pathfinder and DnD. Key word, hero. NPC classes and commoner classes are suppose to be 99% of the population and hero classes are 1%, if not actually much less. If your DM gives random mobs Hero classes, he is doing it wrong, it even goes into detail in the DM guide to don't do that shit.

Considering all that, mages are suppose to be rare even among hero classes. Wizards especially since gaining arcane knowledge is a fuck load harder and dangerous then being born a shitty scrub mage class like sorcerer or any spontaneous memorizing spell caster. Also, fuck Clerics and gods giving them powers. Still, it should be worth mentioning that Cleric and Druid spells are suppose to suck ass compared to Arcane Wizards and sorcerers.

Also mages generally are suppose to have a hard time to ever make it to higher levels. Its much more likely A fighter will reach level 20 then a wizard, because wizards require a college degree and mages never tend to make it pass level 5, with all those commoners trying to kill them because of witchcraft or something. Which also bring up the point, that no one ever reads the fucking spell caster rules. Half of those spells people like to abuse they probably can't even use, or aren't suppose to be using at all. Between spell components that doesn't exist in you spell component pouch, or at all, or rules like verbal, somatic, and focus.

Final point to make though, and this is the most important point, DnD was never suppose to be pvp. You are suppose to work as a team. Usually starting from level 1 and getting to level 20 as a group. You won't be able to pull that off with a party of level 1 wizards. Mages are suppose to be that shit early game, magickarp late game god.

Anyway, I think I wrote too much as it is though.

Dragons also aren't suppose to play fair. If that dragon isn't flying 100 feet in the air and breathing fire on you, its a shit dragon that desires to die.

Martial characters always got shafted because of "this is realistic" never mind the fact that a strength of 10 is suppose to be what an "average" health person is suppose to be. No actual person is suppose to have anything over 14 strength. Which is why you are playing a hero. Hell, I recall one D20 modern that gave Einstein a 15 or 16 in Int. Then explained how he could still get a +40 on knowledge checks despite being at most a level 5 expert.

Hell, the best thing about that book was the Warblade. Nothing the Warblade did was even "physically impossible". Doing something like fucking jumping as a swift action? that should have been something my raging Barbarian should have always been able to do without needs 4 god damn feats.

Supposed.
Supposed god damn it.

how does that support a system where your basketball team is several midgets and one Kareem Abdul Jabbar? they're all on the same team, but four of them are watching the fifth guy do everything.

that's what hirelings are for. besides, this is pathfinder, you level in one adventure, and your wizard starts being able to break the game over his knee between 5 and 12.

It's not like PVP is specifically out of the question, given that the whole game is a chainmail mod.

Yep. The toolkit you got was absolutely wonderful - passive bonuses, offensive and defensive actions, specialized builds, the works. All ranging from "what Fighters should have been" to "holy fuck I love anime" You want a DORF who can stop a charging giant in its tracks and hit hard enough to crush a boulder? Go for it. You want an unarmed character that can throw people through walls and dance over obstacles like in a Chinese action movie? We got that too. You want to lead troops into battle and fuck shit up from horseback like you're the king of Rohan? There's an entire discipline just for that.

I honestly think that the reason ToB had the mixed reception it did was sheer butthurt over how much better they were than the extant martial classes because the "casters should be stronger because MAGIC" line of thought was even more prevalent then than it is now.

Which is rendered irrelevant when one character can do everyone else's jobs better than they can.
I bet I could. Let me have a Cleric and I know I could, and they're just as broken as Wizards at high levels.
This is shit game design. It's fine for Magikarp because that's in a game where you control the whole party. In a multiplayer game, making one character irrelevant at lower levels and everyone else irrelevant at higher levels is retarded. If you feel like you absolutely have to make magic feel powerful and dangerous and special compared to the other classes, couple the power with making it hard to control and actually dangerous to the user and his companions. Make magic something that can win a battle for you almost instantly if it works, but will kill you or worse if you fuck up. Make casting powerful spells something players think twice about.

Its better to help the fighter reach his full buffed potential with a few lower level spells, then burning some spell slots on higher level summon monsters spells or area stuns. Its more cost efficient. You will need them for that demigod in the other room. Thats probably one of the bigger mistakes of a lot of campaigns, where there is only one fight a day. Still though, some one like Gandalf is just powerful. The lore does not mix well the the game play. Still though, action economy is what gets most mages. You really shouldn't be able to cast more then one spell per turn unless you are doing something special. A few rules everyone always seem to forget when playing.

I have never had a DM actually let me use hirelings, or the Leadership feat for a cohort. I've actually had DMs get angry about animal companions for classes that specifically gain them. Also, "Level per adventure" is a mistake. Exp cost for items and spells was intentional. Spells like wish and miracle where powerful since they effectively de-leveled you and cost an ass load of gold. Crafting magic items is another reason that fighter will get to level 20 before that wizard. In anycase, all classes get ridiculous after 12. Its a pity that the game starts devolving into save or die, or, my planned out combo is better then your planned out combo. All the spells up to 5th and 6th level spells inside the core rule books are arguably fair. Its the expansions that really starts turning it on its head, but damn it, you just expect a wizard to turn someone into a magic jar, book, or newt.

In theory yes, but shit like spell resistance, damage reduction, and energy resistance, might mess up a wizard with the wrong spells prepared. Not so much at the highest levels though like I mentioned earlier.
Which is why I said Wizards. At level 1, its very easy to fully deck out your cleric in medium armor and a heavy shield and be effectively untouchable by anything at a level 1 challenge rating. Especially if you have good dex, or just become proficient with a tower shield. You even get one free good weapon that your god uses. Not to mention the Domain powers. The less said about Druids the better.
Funny thing about level one campaigns. Everyone does about the same amount of damage and will have the same accuracy. I once had an Elf sorcerer that ended up being the best long-bowmen for the party because of her high dex. She just couldn't take a hit. So she just stayed in the back, where she belongs.

Except you can't buy any of the books now and there won't be anymore editions released by them because FFG no longer is working with GW's. Thankfully you can download everything now.

Honestly, I just fucking deny my players the crafting skills. Of all the things, they're the one that most easily breaks everything and leads into a stupid arms race of player vs. DM buffing.

The future is just an endless parade of poorly written Marxist propaganda turds with a different coat of paint, that all play either like Fallout 3 or Baldur's Gate.

I hope Colony Ship RPG comes out before I decide to kill myself.

That would still be better than the PoE system.

I'm just tired of poorly thought out RTWP games. Freedom Force had that shit figured out years ago, and that was a game dripping with Silver Age comic cheese.

Even a bunch of drunk Slavs that can't code for shit can make a functional system in 7.62 that excels at what it set out to do despite crashing every five minutes. Why can't Western industry veterans at least get the combat right?

People need to start copying Guild Wars 1. Seriously, it was a perfect template for making good, balanced party-based RPGs.

I don't think Freedom Force was made by slavs, was it?

Quit being faggots and play DCC.

Nice idea, but every player has access to the same list of classes and races, and they can be anything they want to be. If you feel that you need to arbitrarily restrict them according to your perceived notion of rarity in order to try and maintain some semblance of balance, then the game itself has utterly failed at balance. Not to mention, every GM is free to make up whatever world he wants, and that can include one where any family with any wealth sends their children to schools where they teach magic.

Yep, and here is the thing about a fun team-based game. Everyone needs to feel as though they are contributing in a meaningful way. If a summoned creature or animal companion is on par with your ability to fight, while its owner is throwing around spells on top of commanding the pet, you begin to feel redundant. If you've been building up a set of skills, putting yourself into a couple of niche roles, only for someone else to be able to magic up a solution that could involve invisibility, flight and mind control, you have to begin to question why you should even bother. If the game design drives you towards one form of attack, making you go through feat chains in order to specialise in doing one single thing every turn, while others get a toolkit of anything and everything they like with little commitment, do you think you'll be enjoying yourself session after session as you roll to hit, roll for damage, repeat?

Which conceptually means that you're making a class that's not fun in the beginning, then swapping it around so other classes are inferior later on. And that's assuming you even get to play across a wide range of levels in a single, very long-running game.

I don't know, the whole article about wanting more women playing his games was surely concerning, but from my observations it seems like Swen is a guy who wouldn't lobotomize his own game to achieve that goal, he's just someone who wishes more women were playing, because he's surrounded by gamers with gamer wives and had different expectations or something, his top priority is to make the best RPG after all.
Watched all the kikestarter updates and the game looks alright so far, actually looks like an improvement over the first one.

I know people love to hate on 4dnd, but I love the way it takes on previous balance issues.

What's your fucking point? Perseus didn't stand on the ground to kill a sea monster - he flew. High level Fighters don't cast spells, but they have access to just as much magic shit as a wizard. More than that - they can use more of it. 3rd Edition fucked all of this by letting anyone use any magic item with a very small number of exceptions, and putting a dramatic dip to the power.

To give an example, looking over some old 1st Edition notes, one Paladin had a Holy Avenger which - on top of the bonus to damage against chaotic evil creatures, the field of 50% magic resistance it provided, and the dispel magic he could use with it being a Paladin - would "dispel evil" on any creature it hit at a save penalty (effectively the equivalent of a OHK on most summoned creatures), while also letting him detect magic, traps, and use telekinesis three times a day on up to 250# of weight.

In 3rd Edition, you don't have special swords and shit outside of artifacts, which are supposed to be "maybe one per campaign" sort of things. Magic is neutered for everyone except for wizards. Which is a complete break from older editions, where ancient magic items make what a PC magic-user does look like shit.

When you consider your high level characters, you have to compare them to actual characters in mythology, and what they did. Herakles could literally lift the whole planet on his shoulders. Perseus went into battle not with just some random shit, but with a set of divinely crafted magic items. Those characters are Fighters.

Fresh from the oven lands!

The game is another PoE/Tyranny/Torment Marxist turd.

zzz

Holy shit, you people just have to sperg out about pen and paper trivialities at every opportunity?

ugh!

bitching about how a particular game is unbalanced is as Holla Forums as it gets, I think we can forgive talking about D&D in a D&D game thread.
I think 4e got a bad rap and I think in particular it would make a good video game – the rules required minis and a game board with all the 'shift enemy 1 square' effects. On a computer all that stuff would be pretty great. I've thought for a while that a roguelike with multiple characters in a party would work with 4e rules.

user shut the fuck up and get the hell out.

I think he was joking, you know with the whole sounding like a SJW thing. He even added an "ugh"

That's a large part of the reason it got a bad rap. It's more akin to a system a video game uses than what a P&P uses.

I actually think I would like to play a 4E-ruleset video game, although I think the chances of that happening are pretty low now that WotC has killed it and moved on.

Everything else fine, I don't see this as a downside though.

Will I be able to make a fairy character? I haven't had the chance to play a proper pen and paper campaign in so long.

This is NOT a DnD game thread, although that other one is.

when have you ever been able to make a fairy in DnD esque vidya outside of Wizardry?

Any where you can play as an Elf.
Because Elves are faggots.

talislanta

bingo, also, i like what it did with halforc stats and making the dragonborn less /d/ tier

I can dream, can't I? I've been wanting to play a DnD campaign as a fairy for a long time; either as a cleric that's focused on healing/buffs and guidance, or a bumbling fighter aspiring to be a knight.

When was the last good crpg? Bards tale?

Talislanta is the shit.

not when it comes to nostalgiabait, no.

Well, into the oven it goes.