GIANT ROBOTS

What would Holla Forums like to see in a mecha game title?

Personally I've thought of something involving teenagers with machines clashing out in Tokyo or something, like Jojo's bizarre adventure but with giant robots instead of stands.

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24097.0
youtube.com/watch?v=JwNApZMTKj8
pixiv.net/member.php?id=34624
droidgamers.com/2015/08/13/games-workshop-and-pixel-toys-team-up-and-announce-warhammer-40k-freeblade-for-android/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fuck i meant

But that's just discussing already made games, I wanted to discuss ideas anons would like to see in a mecha game. Things other games haven't done before, or have failed to achieve.

do you have any real promise of something actually coming from this talk?

I want a game where you get in a giant robot and punch giant monsters in their giant faces with your giant fists.
My dream is a game like that with a mechanic revolving around the psychology of pilots and the things they fight. Like taking a lot of damage will make your character too shaky to use precision weapons or really technical attacks but more willing to use extreme measures to end the fight quickly like ripping off your machine's arm to use as a bludgeon. It could be extended to the monsters like using weapons certain monsters are afraid of will make them more savage and unpredictable out of desperation. Dodging a lot will frustrate them and make them cause more collateral damage. Shit like that

I still just want a monster hunter style game where you beat up giant monsters with a robot and use their bits to upgrade it in meaningful ways, like constructing a jetpack for it out of dragon wings and flame sacks and using that to chase flying enemies when they take to the skies.

I'd play the fuck out of a Pacific Rim XCOM like that.

you know what sucks dick? titanfall seems to have exactly what i want in a mecha game, infantry and mechs fighting at the same time, mid-small size mechs, and jump jets. unfortunately its an EA game and locked behind origin

alternatively my dream mech game is ace combat, except with mechs

I just want all those Macross games to get translated.

VR support and good motion controls preferably with gloves so I can control a giant robot G Gundam-style.

fair enough. i just want something like gundam operation troy or battle operation on pc, but newer, faster, better. and with vr support with manus gloves it's basically battlefield: gundam
titanfall doesnt count

All I've ever wanted to do in a mech game is to power glide into an enemy mech and slam him through a building while punching the shit out of it
At least I have RAD

Shit, man, I'd love for someone to start translating Macross Triangle Frontier.

If it's any consolation the translation for a turn based strategy game on the PC-98 is nearing completion.
romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24097.0

I'd love for someone to translate Gihren's Greed and UC Climax, maybe the Dreamcast Gundam games too.

I want a mech game where it actually feels like I'm a mech, rather than a regular guy in armour

I'd love something like mechwarrior or steel battalion, but with gundam style mecha rather than walkers (nothing against walkers, but mecha with hands are cooler to me) Would be awesome to have optional VR as well, to look round the cockpit. Maybe underwater and amphibious stuff, too

Failing that, I'd love a silly tokusatsu style game where everything looks like oldschool props and the monsters have obvious zippers on their backs

Extensive customization is the key to any good mech game.

This would be good too.

Beyond that, mech games could start implementing features of other genres. What if there were more mech-focused RTS games? Or a mech game with a sanity meter? Or one with a realistic physics engine?

I think the only true genre of mecha which anyone can actually agree with is simulation

What about a game where the parts of your own body can actually fall off, this will force the Player to use the rest of his mecha limbs to survive, and even pick up fallen arms to smack against other enemies.

You mean a mech game with a realistic damage system instead of health points? That would be sweet.

There are more racing games out there than just sims like Gran Turismo and Forza. You've also got Mario Kart, F-Zero, Star Wars Episode I Racer, Diddy Kong Racing, Extreme G and lots more. Why wouldn't mech games be the same way?

I wasn't saying they're not but more as in fans of mech games want a level of simulation which is acceptable *unless they're weebs**

You just need to make sure that destroying the leg merely slows you down (like in MWO) instead of resulting in an instant kill, otherwise you end up with clusterfucks like the singleplayer MW games where everyone aims for the legs.

Imperial Knight game when.

A few things, not necessarily in the same game. I say these things as a guy who has played practically no mecha.

1. Weight behind movement, attacks, blocks etc. Whatever your opinion on Pacific Rim, the Kaijus and Jaegers attack slowly and with weight. Punches aren't too quick. I'd like that in a mech game.

2. Some kind of co-op mechanic. An easy way would be one player pilots, another shoots and perhaps a third gets to run around the mech and fix stuff.

3. Classes of mech, from exosuits, to larger exosuits, to small mechs and then to Goliath mechs. All can be equally viable, exosuits are obviously going to be very weak, but very fast and hard to hit. You're goal more than anything is to probably just get close and plant a tracker/hacking device or something. Goliath is very slow but very hard to kill and hits the hardest. Simple stuff, but always cool.

4. Lots of weapons, armours, boosters etc. for customization. Go full melee, glass cannon speedster or go full lumbering tank with stupidly strong cannons. Repair rays/devices to help out your allies and weaken the enemy, hacking devices, shields (ones you carry as well as the shielding on your mech and even spheres of shielding energy).

Getter action game. Or just any Super Robot action game would do

I'd rather have a titan game, just imagine the scale and then sounding the horns to make everyone shit their pants.

Walking around unopposed doesn't sound very fun in the long run.

when you get better tastes

Titans are still threatened by ground troops if they outpace their supporting units and there's always other titans about to challenge them.

would u fug a mech

Dating mechanics.

Strike Suit Zero is breddy gud if you want fighter stuff with mechs. It's like the western gundam/macross release that never was

I want a mecha game where mecha kill kebab and head pat aryan little girls. They can head pat honorary aryans, too. But they need to be super suspicious while doing it.

Mecha that protects dogs is good, too.

Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes is worth a try.

Exosuits are badass, but they're fundamentally different from mecha in a number of ways. A game should generally focus on one or the other unless there's a really good reason to have both.

Another big one is that we need more transforming mecha. Plenty of other games have the player able to change forms to get through different challenges. We need games where your mech can transform into a tank on the fly when it makes more sense to be in the form of a tank. Xenoblade X did both that and an open world, but it wasn't utilized all that well.

I'd be and fug an SD Zaku II.

I want more realistic mechs with some varried cockpits.
I prefer my mechs covered in massive guns, without gay ass arm trash. I want fast moving tanks, not some gay ass anime shit.

You know those charts comparing the sizes of sci-fi spaceships from tons of different universes? There needs to be one of those for mecha.

What we need is a good power armor sim. The only one that was ever made was Terra Nova.

there's a chart for everything, including other charts

How the fuck is it supposed to stand back up if it falls down?

Gay

It uses its legs, faggot.

shooting, and if youre going for the gundam thing then punching too.
thats all

Why don't you lie down and try to stand up using your arms?

how does a non mechanical chicken get back up? its fucking magic

It has wings for arms you numbskull.

Its harder with regular legs. Non chickenwalker style. Chickenwalker allows better control over that way. Easier to slide under the body. Additionally, the human frame is much longer or taller than would be a chickenwalker-style mech.

It's all about balance, you see. Look at a bird, how they stand.

That's pretty easy if I can use my arms.

maybe the chicken walker can use its guns for stubby little t rex arms.

Do not fuck zakus

Looks similar to one of the Proto-Metal Gears from Peace Walker

Why not?

It technically can use those "arms" even for melee attacks, tho at +2 penalty to hit due to lacking lower arms or hands. Not that there's ever a good reason to as you can kick, charge or shoot instead, but it's possible, no matter how laughable it would look.

What about a comedy mech game with an inflatable mech? We could have Conker's Bad Fur Day with giant robots.

Now we're talking. The more legs it has the more redundancy. Tachikoma with the wheeled legs are the undisputed kings. I wish more games featured them, instead of just the PS1 and PSP ones.

the form of a crab is the ultimate in utility

thats easy as fuck

Too many weak points.

A bipedal form has even more. You take out one joint on the legs and you've immobilized them.

six legs a shit, eight legs are the objectively superior amount of legs to which no other amount of legs is acceptable in every way shape or form

Immobilize, sure. But we're talking massive damage here.

>input delay

that not a practical strategy at all

what else would cause massive damage though?

So basically a Phantom Crash Remake?

this is going to turn into a conversation about historical japanese battle doctrines and i just dont think it applies. war changes

Mech games should have other forms of locomotion besides walking. Some of those would be covered by transformations, but there could easily be add-ons or even standard components for the mech that add new movement capabilities. The Tachikomas from Ghost in the Shell can climb on buildings and jump from rooftop to rooftop. Why can't more mecha do stuff like that?

well at least all the feels will be the same though

I take it you've never played Armored Core.

C'mon niggers.

like walking with 8 legs instead of 2? good thinking get this man a medal!

I just couldn't find first gear

well played.

youtube.com/watch?v=JwNApZMTKj8
Why haven't I heard of this before?

To answer your question, basically but on a much larger scale and with some power range esque elements inside it. I want to see governments turn over backwards because of some stupid teenager with hot temper and a giant robot.

I basically want this too, but with a lot of aspects of simulation
It'd be the comfiest fucking thing ever

I was thinking more like slithering or burrowing into the ground.

I wonder.

eight legs are useful in digging but slithering I fail to see how

would a open world lost plant 2 be exactly what you want then but with bigger mechs and more craftans?

Yes, more angsty japanese teenagers with superpowers, we don't have enough of those.

I'LL DO WHAT I WANT

That's quite possibly the least economical kind of movement there is
Every inch would damage fucking everything, to say nothing of the energy requirements that would be second only to replacing your legs with rockets
Giving your mechs fucking roller skates or something would be a better idea than that, and would also for allow for the previously mentioned wallriding and rooftop jumping

Yeah pretty much
Though lost planet mechs are a great size already as far as also having on foot gameplay goes, something maybe twice as big as those would be the limit or you'd end up with shit level design
Also just running over puddles of ayy cum for warmth is pretty dumb and very action-focused, I'd prefer a system of hand-removable power cores that you'd carry around on foot

lost plant 3 is like this only very cut content and rushed tbh

At least angsty jap teens get a little more character development than snarky cropped hair nu-male or bald, grunting (space) marine. And none of those are as cancerous as STRONK PROGRESSIVE WYMYN OF COLOUR

Honest to God I wish more mecha protagonist were like Berine.

LP 3 also features a mech you have to rappel in and out of like you're breaking into a skyscraper, which causes those level design problems
It's also just shit in general

aye, comfy though

ahah oh wow
look at this weeb go.
Let me tell you something, faggot. A no character bald space marine dude that only ever grunts is a better character than some cookie cutter edgy mentally traumatized japanese teenager. No character is better than shitty generic character.
But now you'll just backpedal and go on how I want wimpy nu-males and STRONK WOMYNS in games. Because obviously if i don't like one i must want the other.

Need a Mecha Game where the characters you play are Genetically Engineered Catgirls breed for piloting Battlemechs designed for Removing Degeneracy

>nothing explicit whatsoever

If the next Armored Core is on PC I'm set.

No need, Mechwarrior Living Legends just got updated.

Madcat a cute. Also checked.

I want a Gundam game that plays like Shattered Horizon meet fucking instagib mode from UT, and have a locational damage system like in Deus Ex. With a cockpit.

Also I want Blue Destiny translated.

Fuck you. Nothing else gets translated before I get my hands on Gihren's Greed.

Now there's an idea I can get behind. It'd basically turn out like the Megabots mech, except that instead of one big track base it'd be two big skates.

T-that too

VOTOMS and Code Geass got you covered there. VOTOMS even has a pretty good PS2 in moonrunes.

I'm still amazed Code Geass never got a good game considering how huge it was.

To be fair I'd love your Shattered Horizon Gundam game. Would be pretty great to see in practice why MS got to dominate in space.

I mean, I was thinking along the lines of some wheels that flipped down over your normal feet for an armored core-style movement mode change, but shit if we're getting retarded we might as well go all the way

pixiv.net/member.php?id=34624

His work's mostly girls w/ guns, fyi.

anything with objective the superior option eight legs?

doesn't look like it. Either 8.

Come on, you know it'd be awesome. Maybe add some jet boosters to the back and you'd have rocket skates.

into the trash

Are you trying to secretly shill your artwork?
it's breddy gud

Also yes, because of the cuteness specified earlier. So perfectly simply designed and cute.

Here's one that uses tension and power thrusts to scale buildings. Gasaraki has some awesome, but short, fight scenes that attempt to portray what it would be like - similar to Armored Core 2 with its HUMAN PLUS injections to surpass human limitations.

Also the anime Ride Back portrays small sized mecha with wheels. Its a quad legged mecha that can also become a motorcycle. Or was it two legs..

That sounds pretty sweet. We need more vehicle mecha.

What about drones? Most of the big bots from most mech games don't carry any little bots. I've played a lot of RPGs that have summons in them and that ought to carry over to piloting a mech. The drones should be just as customizable as the mech itself, or nearly so. Drone minions would open the way for massive customization options and new play styles.

Like the skate mode straight out of heavy gear. But with more rocket boost.

And on that note, I would like a game kinda like Macross 30, set in the heavy gear world. Perhaps a bit more open world, with some management sim aspects. Upgrading your gears, getting cash from mercenary missions, upgrading your mobile base. Managing your crew and team, then have some sort of training/stat/dating sim system for their abilities and how they interact with each other. And of course custom paintjobs and custom badges baked right into the interface.

The real question is why this thread exists on Holla Forums and not on /m/? Do you not Respect the Robot?

I want to see a mecha game where a team of teenage pilots search for your lost heterosexuality

American race is no less bullshit.

Well yeah but Bloodtype makes it patriotic as fuck.

You know, if two pregnant women got into a fight with each other, it'd be like the unborn babies were having a mech battle.

I think you've just started a new fetish user.

Aren't Eva Units just Flesh-Mechs carry kids in them?

Only if the babies are in control. Which did happen for a bit in Betterman.

I have a mental image in my head of an Eva Unit giving birth to an Asuka

It's been done already.

Technically they unbirth and rebirth them every time they're deployed and brought back in. I guess that makes Rei the first living miscarriage in history.

(checked)
Kek'd

Flesh mechs are already a thing.

yeah but it hasn't been done good yet.

done well.

Mechas in people clothes? Now that's just silly.

Byes.

We're hitting some advanced tier autism here. But lets keep going and see where it takes us

It's a real shame Roly went full degenerate.
He mostly draws really gross shit nowadays.

anime tiddies

Bumping for new mech designs and gameplay concepts. This thread is a treasure trove of degeneracy.

Now I want a Xabungle game.
>eventually get your hands on a transformable landship

Rocket punches. Even if your mech doesn't have that as an inbuilt function you should be able to manage it.

Now.

droidgamers.com/2015/08/13/games-workshop-and-pixel-toys-team-up-and-announce-warhammer-40k-freeblade-for-android/

I would like to see Mechwarrior 2 and Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy remastered edition with multiplayer and coop options (IE in some missions instead of having AI in your lance your friend can take up the extra tonnage available). Also a fucking competent developer for a new battletech fps title that isn't PGI either.

shit idea.
Why would you ever want to use monster bits, when you have superior mechanical one crafted by human engineers?

Dragon wings and flame sacs? Fuck that, I'm using rocker fuel or anti-gravity generators.

It sounds like it would work better in a silly Mac Gyver kind of way where you would no have access to technology beyond the Middle Ages.

That was actually happening under Mektek, they were remaking Mechwarrior 2 from the ground up in their own new engine till PGI shut them down

It's shit. It's a pay to win rail shooter and you hit the grind/paywall hard within 30 mins.

Bump

it looks cooler

How has no one posted this?

and Holla Forums will still complain about it

a year ago at least
also

it's just too easy to trigger you guys nowadays

it's not even that, I just don't remember Battletech lore being filled with this much diversity before which could indicate that the game will be shit

Are you trying to list positives? Because these are all bad things.

Might not be your cup of tea, but I'd take proper turn based over the mixes that end up with you just manually doing the same thing by pausing every couple of seconds to give new orders.

Will pirate it three years after release once they finish releasing the DLC that should have just been in the base game.

Speaking of Giant Robots
The fuck happened to the mech battle that we were promised.
Am I just failing to find any mentions or did the whole thing fall through the cracks?

Megabots has been regularly updating their youtube since
If you're not following it,, of course you won't hear anything about it

Aren't we just brains controlling meat mechs anyway?

Thanks