What are some games with fun archery mechanics?

What are some games with fun archery mechanics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4MS1sC0zKY0
youtube.com/watch?v=QC0pHZUBBng
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dragon's Dogma

Skyrim

>fun

thief, but the game isn't built for combat. There aren't really any solid archery games which is a real shame.

Nintendo Land.

Only if you're stealthy.

Crysis 3

Chivarly medieval warfare, they give you 3 types of bows, 3 types of crossbows and even a fuging sling

That one minimalist flash game.

Ninja Gaiden 2 has a pretty fun to use bow

None really, since most techniques you see used for archery are completely fucking wrong.

This, it's the only game I've ever enjoyed archery in.

Vermintide does it reasonably well. It has rapid-fire shortbows, regular longbows, crossbows and repeater crossbows.

How would you even make a good archery game? Maybe base it around that ADHD fag who pretends ancient archers used to jump around with a 5-pound shortbow and have something like Max Payne? That's about the only way I can see archery being more than just "hold to pull, release to loose",

There's more to archery techniques than just shooting faster. The way you draw, the distance you draw and the arrow you shoot all have clear effects that will change your accuracy and power.

That flash game where you shoot the apple on the dudes head

Pic reminded me of Apotheon.

Twilight princess on Wii

The only game I can really think of right now is shadow of the colossus. It's not realistic but I liked the way the bow felt in that game.

Mountain Blade, obviously. Not very flashy, but very satisfying when you get the hang out it. Hitting circling targets on horseback at full speed never gets old.

archers are pure evil in Chiv

The Archers 2

Breath of the Wild has some really fun archery. Bows have different ranges, you've got different types of arrows to create environmental combos, you can get bows that shoot multiple arrows, you've got cool bullet-time effects while in mid-air for precise aiming, and the aiming is good because you've got analogue stick control for broad movements and motion controls for fine-tuning before releasing. Using stealth archery to clear an enemy encampment is pretty fun.

Playstation Sports. It had a great archery mini-game while it lasted. And Volleyball.

This exact picture is why I use arrows a few inches longer than I need.

How do you even fuck up that bad? I've only shot a bow a few times with a friend who has one, but I can't see how someone could do that.

None tbh. Guns are superior in every way.

Is he okay?

By using too short an arrow. Compound bow users don't use the arrow for sighting, so it's easier for them to overdraw if they didn't set their gear up correctly.
Accidental dry-firing is a problem as well, I've had a guy next to me get distracted by talking, forgot to nock an arrow, aimed and let go. It really fucked up his bow. Pic isn't his, but it's similar damage.

jesus

I don't understand these giant bows with 20 gadgets on them. They seem clunky as hell. If I wanted a more sophisticated bow I'de just get a gun since the only benefit I can think of using a bow over a rifle is silence. Using a classic bow is fun though. I'de get more into archery if I didn't live in such a windy fucking area.

Mountain Blade

I really wish Dying Light's archery mechanics were better. Despite making the crossbow the focus weapon in the expansion, it's still pretty basic. The part that annoys me most is it's partially set around an Olympic village so there should be all kinds of modern recurves and attactments, but there's just the 2 basic kinds.

Makes being accurate easier.
They are, but it works.
There's also being able to turn nearly any ~20m stretch into a target range, as long as you've got a safe enough backboard (IE: a brick wall)
Try Indoor if there's a club in your area

while Farcry 3 and blood dragon's bows aren't anything unique, I did find using the bows fun as all hell and only used a different weapon for enemies that didn't die in one shot from the bow

Kinda goes back to my gun point. Can't you be perfectly accurate with a well made bow at a good distance anyway? It's just hard to take compounds seriously in any context. I actually live next to an archery club and it's in the middle of a clearing surrounded by trees so wind is minimal, but they charge a fucking criminal amount so it's not worth

This is like asking why people make optics and other accessories for firearms if you can be perfectly accurate without a them, it's a matter of making it easier and more consistent.

Not bad.

That honestly depends on you. Learning traditional shooting is going to take you a lot longer than setting up a compound to get the same accuracy, but there is a method called Gap shooting (the video will explain it better) that will get you at least as accurate as a recurve if you're using a longbow. Something most people don't expect is you don't just learn what you bow does, it's what your arrows do as well.

The biggest issue with gap shooting will be getting good arrows. Carbon arrows are fine for target shooting, but if you ever plan on hunting you'll want aluminium.

More fun without them imo.

Noted. I'll probably stick to traditional bows.

That should be a banner.

If you're hunting for deer in basically anything but a treestand or a blind a scope is ideal. Especially if you only see 1 or 2 deer in a season. You're not going to wan to miss

dubs have spoken

Groovy.

Except the realistic method is far more fun.

compound bow faggots are the ricers of the archery world

he seem to have dropped his fedora

Remove the distance cap, make sure to have draw distance as high as possible, remove the auto-aim for some decent fun. Any decent archery mod should do most of that and remove the ridiculous arc from the arrows flight. Play on easier modes, otherwise the ludicrous health bars ruin everything. With heavy modding, Blackreach some of the best fun I've had in a long time.
Had fun with it, despite >Skyrim

Loosing shaft after shaft into an incoming horde, getting kill after kill before the tumultuous clash of armies is highly satisfying. What's even better, is to ride on horseback and harass anyone and everyone with your bow. Nothing quite feels as good as getting a headshot on the enemy lord, during a high speed chase back and forth as your armies clash all around you.

Kai is pretty fun, but the game is grindy gookshit.
youtube.com/watch?v=4MS1sC0zKY0

Played only 3, but I suspect 4 and the caveman one are more of the same. Pretty fun for trickshots and sniping.

Ranger is kind of fun if you like to stand still and pretend you're a fantasy machine gun. Strider is fun for run & gun kind of high mobility archery who has flechette artillery.

Combo heavy fighter where you can use a bow.
youtube.com/watch?v=QC0pHZUBBng

He's using a low poundage bow and warbows by definition are very high poundage. He's a trickshooter, nothing more.

Mechanically speaking compound bows are so superior to anything else that not using them is essentially being a that guy who walks around with his 80's carphone.

Thats why they are the weapon of preference for infantry all over the world I guess

That's a fancy way of spelling Danish.

Obviously he's talking in comparison to other bows dipshit

mechanically speaking, a crossbow would be superior to a compound bow, while still being based on the string and arrow principles

A crossbow is also a lot slower than a compound bow, but yeah otherwise you're correct

that's why it's fun, winning 1v1s as a wimpy unarmored faggot against knight with a huge ass sword just headshotting them and then just giving them a small poke with a dagger is priceless

How the hell does that even happen?

It's a third person action game, why would you play it with a keyboard and a mouse likr a poor person?

Its just neat tricks and showmanship, you get more viable archery footage from watching Arrow

Next you're going to tell me sword fighting in movies is more viable as well.

If you link me a vid of some faggot doing knife tricks then yea

Swords are useless against plate armour and chainmail, hammers, maces and other blunt weapons are better as they can just crush it.
Katanas are also the worst swords ever made, they shatter and break stupidly easily.

modern hunting and military crossbows use arrows, while old war crossbows used heavy bolts for piercing shields and armor, i wonder if their is a comparison today of it. Because I've never heard of one.

Also, heavy javelins are literal sex. Best weapon in the game.

The only relevant parts are maybe the first two minutes and 3:30 to 4:00. Rest is him making meme shots.

Shame about that NO DAMAGE though.

This game was fun as hell.

Stop watching history channel or whatever the shit is where you pick up your drivel.

It does really good damage but then you run out of coatings.
X/XX should've fixed it by giving you an art that let you produce/get more power/element coatings but instead they made a bunch of useless shit.

Mount and Blade: Warband
Rhodok Veteran Crossbowmen will fuck your shit up.

I fucked up.

And sarranid niggers will fuck them up.
I wish it wasnt so since I'm a vassal to rhodoks and I have to go save our shitty castles every time.

Even in online hunts bows are worse then longswords.

Lmao baby's first medieval game has shitty bows. The arrow arc is shit, and the draw animation is fucking awful. The source engine can't support projectile weapons, they should have just made the bows hit scan. I honestly cannot believe anyone genuinely finds that game fun though, its god awful, and basically unchanged since the source mod.

Spread is shit unless you're close and trying to stack status/element. Rapid 5 is where the damage is at.

I find bows sort of frustrating or too slow in most games.

Tomb Raider (2013)

The bow and arrow was the main weapons that I used for the majority of that game.

I'm happy idiots like you arent the ones making anything.

Just go outside and lick up some dogshit instead. There's nothing you could do to make chivalry a worse game.

I forgotten Elder Scrolls and the Lord of the Rings games, picking as the elves.

Just get Rhodok Sergeants for sieges and Swardian cavalry for open plains battles.

I remember hearing about this years ago.
It was at a Bass Pro store, an employee was letting a customer test a bow out, but the arrow was far too short for the type of bow it was. I think I got that right, anyway.

katanas were made more for sliding through plated armor and stabbing motions. could also be guy in that gif did what i did and bought the finest katana made out of chinese steel folded over 1000 times for $5

There's no reason to ever use arc shots unless you have exhaust coatings and a focus spread and think you can go for a KO.

My negro.

Katanas are good swords and bad swords. The reason why I say that is that they were invented because the japanese had a scarce supply of iron, and the iron they had was shit. So they had to make the best of it. In the end katanas are worse than basically everything but for what they are they're great. They even developed autistically complex techniques to get the best of their shitty swords.
People didn't necessarily wear a complete set of armor like in the movies and the few who did weren't even necessarily good fighters (they might be a diplomat or someone of noble birth doing it by obligation, or a wealthy merc) and you could just shove the sword up a creak in the armor. Armors were made for mobility but ultimately anyone but extreme fatties can move faster than a dude with 25kgs of metal attached to every piece of their body.

Pretty good.

Call Mark, this needs to be a banner.

Don't forget that many swords made in the heyday of armor were basically big, sharp-ish sticks. there was a lot of heft and weight behind a big lunk of metal. You might not cut that asshole in chainmail, but the looseness of chain results in almost all that kinetic energy carrying on into the flesh and bone, resulting in broken bones fairly easily. A lot of sword techniques of the time revolved around using the heavy weight of a large sword in ways other than cutting - grappling, hammering people with the handguard, pommel strikes, etc.

While a mace is better as a general weapon, it has a limited striking area (the head) and is limited in its techniques, whereas a sword user has what basically amounts to a sword, a staff, and a hammer all in one.

You are legitimately retarded, the absolute majority of the shots he does are trick shots at short range. He asserts that art having archers drawn doing the shit he does proves its validity despite the fact that there is plenty of art that also DOESN'T have his shitty meme technique and despite the fact that plenty of people had never touched a bow in their lives just like the majority of people alive now have never touched a gun.

There's also the incredibly blatant attempts at trying to act like everyone else's methods don't work

The thing that really gets me about that video is how he keeps going on about "historical accuracy" yet he only hits things a few feet away, which would have a been rare scenario for actual bowmen to have encountered. They weren't exactly on the front line.

pmt
Finngol Pekka Khan horse archer Khergit cancer horde game of mountain blade is shit for about 4 hours until you start turning the enemy into unicorn-lookalikes at 30m

Probably Dark Souls. Sneak attacks with the great bow is pretty dang fun. I really like the wanderers bow too from SOC. I took me hours to master it,but o felt like a god when I finally figured out how to time/angle each shot.

You'd be surprised at the ranges archers from historically. They'd keep shooting right up until it was time to break out the sword and buckler. I think this happened at Agincourt with English archers vs French knights.

Of course even at close range they would have been shooting at the highest possible draw weight to penetrate armor, not halfassed shots like Lars.

Drawing a shaft too short, and not paying attention when the arrow is off of the arrow rest.

Here's the game itself.

This version doesn't have birb.

Look at this plebian.

Oh well. Here's some games with birb.
I downloaded this Bowman from Albino Black Sheep. I don't know of any with birds.

Warframe

The natural punch-through of a fully drawn shot was always fun. Shoot through doors! Shoot through walls! Shoot through rocks! Shoot through people!

Mechanically speaking, firearms are so superior to anything else that not using them is essentially being a that guy who walks around with his 80's carphone.

I hate this kind of shit because it's like comparing oranges to apples.
"look, the orange won because it's more acid !"

You must be part spearchucker yourself to be that stupid.

I remember my mum being mad at me for playing violent things on the computer when I was playing Matrix Bullet Time Fighting and then showing me that. No idea if she was trying to shock me out of liking violent things or quite what but it always confused me because little me saw that penguin game as insanely violent beyond anything I was used to.

kek
katanas and plated armor
keep on with for honor brah

Thank you for making my night user.

Thank you for making my night anons.

Managing to knock someone off a ledge with the dragonslayer bow is the true path to feeling like a badass.

Pleb please. It's a good banner though, mods if you're looking, I recommend adding it

Is it actually solvable or is it just a sandbox? Because it looks really interesting.

It's solvable but it's fucking insanely hard. Especially on the later sequels. I only ever beat 1 and that was through incredibly dumb luck and several hours of grind.

Is this thread bumplocked?

Yet isn't.

Fuck this shit.