Out of all of the "Classic" RPGs that have been made in the last few years is this the only good one?

Out of all of the "Classic" RPGs that have been made in the last few years is this the only good one?
I remember people hyping up the CRPG renaissance but I remember only remember loving this one.
Are there any other good ones I missed out on?

Other urls found in this thread:

resurrection.cz/en/
irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7363.0.html
divinityoriginalsin.wiki.fextralife.com/Skills
exult.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OS was cool.
I tried Pillars of Eternity, too, but it failed to capture me.

It was honestly the best RPG to release in years. Anyone have the caps of all the casuals on half chan Holla Forums, reddit and steam calling it too hard and bullshit?

How's that coop garbage any good? Honest question.

And yet it was fun. Weird.

It was /okay/. It was a pretty dry modern quest grind that kept the player from just going out and having fun like old CRPGs. If you prefer quest grinding to more sandboxy experiences like U7 then you're the reason everything now is shit.

It didn't take itself seriously and had a lot of jokes. Sorry the story wasn't deep enough for you.
See above.
The enemy encounters were all great and varied. Since enemies don't respond after they die every single encounter was designed rather than randomly spawned.
But I played the game with a lot of mixed classes.
Good gameplay, a lot of content and fun writing.

How is it a grind? You literally can't farm enemies in the game because they don't respawn after being killed. You could literally go nearly wherever you wanted at the start of the game too.

Do you even know what grinding is? Is just fighting an enemy a grind to you?

Gee whiz, those sure are a lot of assumptions you're throwing around. All I said is that it was fun.

Let me guess, it was it generic grunt of an apologist fanbitch /comfy/? Fuck off. Even Dragon Commander made more of an effort and Dragon Knight or the Original game were actually interesting.

They made a half assed co-op bait game that needed years of patching to reach bland.

Kek.
No, the game had fun writing, a lot of content and great combat. The Co-op only added to it.

Is it good in singleplayer too? I might pirate it and play it both ways.

Yeah. You play the game with 2 to 4 party members and having another person on the team gives them control of it so playing it by yourself works just as good. I really enjoy playing it with a friend though just because it makes fucking up a lot more fun rather than frustrating
Stuff like that is a lot of fun and why the combat is so good.

Your "counter-argument" amounts to nuh-uh, you mongoloid. Now, I hate this game with a passion but I'm open to saying look - they actually improved because ((related)), so, got any related or are you simply full of shit?

Try stepping outside the lines in the game and see how fast it blocks you from doing it. You're forced to grind through the quests even if they're no challenge as you're led by the nose on a snooze cruise. Putting words on top of "Kill X of Y" shouldn't hide the fact that it's a forced grind, user.

I actually gave reason why you were wrong. It's obvious you are just mad and found a random thread to shitpost in.

It doesn't. You can travel across multiple locations easily even at the start of the game.
The game rarely does this. Instead optional quests are to investigate a specific area of the map and you have to fight through specific encounters to find or get what it was looking for. I don't think you played the game. It's not grind if every enemy encounter is different and they don't respawn.

You didn't even bother telling him he was wrong or how specifically. Why? You sure could have. I'm sure he's wrong, you seem sure he's wrong. Give it a go. Try arguing.

Was the co-op really the highlight or something?

What quest(s) specifically tell you to kill X of Y? What percent of the quests do you think do that?

No, you didn't and (You) bet your ass I'm mad. With some effort you could get even Holla Forums to talk vidya but you shitters take it to a whole new level of cancer. The whole pretending to be retarded was never funny.

Last time, got anything concrete to shill/showcase about how's this game any less shit than it was around launch or are you full of shit?

Show me cases of that in the game faggot. I don't recall doing that in the game at all and even if it is an optional side quest or two I never did then it's AN OPTIONAL SIDEQUEST

Nice autistic screeching. Now instead of being able to find arguments for why the game is bad you are just full on butthurt posting.

How come every time there is a CRPG thread on Holla Forums someone decides to shitpost it to death?
Is this Todds doing?

Yeah, it's on sale on PSN I might buy it.

I think you might be right, I see tons of people shit on CRPGs using arguments that show they expected some action adventure game with a few RPG elements like skyrim.

because it's that easy
guaranteed replies โ„ข

I mean it's technically possible since it's turned based, but why?

The combat became a lot less fun though after they patched it to remove >100% elemental resistance. Having a warrior/tank charge into a ton of enemies and a mage casting fireballs that both killed shit and healed the warrior was fun as hell.

It's a shame though that the game forces you to focus on only one primary attribute (aside from the mandatory hp/ap dump stats) which makes it impossible to create viable archer/rogue+mage or warrior+mage multiclass type characters and even if it's fun to combine different elemental effects there isn't enough variety among the spells that actually kill shit for you to ever need more than four or five of them with the combo of rock drop, fireball and deadly spores being ridiculously overpowered and the odd lightning/ice spell only being used in situations where you're facing enemies immune to the former. Then there's of course the matter of the air and ice "ultimate" spells being complete and utter dogshit.

You're so easily distracted from what the game actually is.

Yeah? Fuck you and your shit sjwgame.

I doubt it, but it sure helps when the OP's doing most of the shitposting himself.

It was fun in a "HOLY SHIT LOOK HOW OP I AM" sort of way but it made the game far too easy when you literally couldn't take any damage.
It was impossible to die.

Oh my god I am dying

Ok, this bait is too obvious.
Funny thing is you actually didn't have to kill them. If you were good enough at stealth you could stealth past them.

Read the thread.
Good combat
Fun writing
Lots of content
It has been said more than once in this thread. I know you are just baiting at this point like this user (assuming it's not just you) but it's time to stop.

FUCKING GAMESTOP

Fucking videogames, I wish I was watching a movie. Why cant they be more cinematic

Well yeah, if you're min/maxing and going lone wolf + glass cannon while buying every goddamn tome you can then >100% elemental resistance is overpowered as all hell (as if you weren't already) but I feel as if the more appropriate thing to do in a situation like that is to buff the enemies you're facing rather than cut back on the gameplay depth afforded the player.

If you are smart you can make the game your bitch. Which is why it is funny that so many people called it too hard when it first came out on halfchan Holla Forums. In fact that is the biggest gripe I have with the game is that once you spent the time learning the game mechanics and crafting you can make your characters far too OP even on the hardest difficulty.

I realize this gets said a lot, but 'It's More Fun in Co-opโ„ข'.

I honestly think it's rather bland solo, but in multiplayer with a friend I more welcoming to the goofy humor and honestly I just find it a lot of fun to teleporting my buddy's warrior into a pack of skeleton before "accidentally" setting him on fire with the rest of them.
The combat suck at first since you have no skills unlocked, but later it becomes A LOT of fun. Especially if you play wizard.

My ยข2, take it as thou wilt.

This, Pillards, Underrail and Shadowrun HK are the best IMO.

How are the dialogue choices handled in co-op? I only ever played the first hour or so co-op so im wondering how it unfolds later in the game

Exactly the same.

Read what? Repeating how something's fun and not actually showing a single example of supposedly "fun writing" or whatever doesn't magically make it fun. It makes it low effort shilling.

Absolutely the same as in SP.

Ah shame, hoped it was different for co-op.

If you and a different player disagree you do rock paper scissors to see who wins the argument.

No, but multiple anons saying it has fun writing and you just having an autism fit doesn't make it not fun either.

Shit, got me there. But it's funny how I'm talking to multiple anons and they type the same, offer the same shit-bait and even reply for one another.

We hi/v/emind, truly.

That expedition expansion can't come fast enough.

Hold the fuck up, that game sucked dick.

Sorry some people like a good game user and aren't all ultra contrarians for the same of autism.

Now, now, it's was fun:^)

The only good parts of the game is the drones, that whip and Rachter/Gaichu.

Anyone who isn't a complete pleb will recognize that the main quest is complete wank but that there's plenty of worthwhile writing that's gone into the actual meat and potatoes of the game.

Curse you! You caught me, user. It turns out there are only 2 people on the internet, you and me.

I don't know about that. Shadowbbs shitposing was pretty entertaining, and some missions like the one with Kai Feng, the Korean smugglers or the convention were entertaining.

Are you saying we should fuck?

But yeah, fuck Duncan, Is0bel and Gobbet.
I still want to climb the Eiger.

That is exactly what I'm saying.

The one time I actually felt anything during any of the missions is during one of the very last missions, where you meet Emily, because it implies Blitz fucked up and sent her into exile.

Grenade launcher and combat taser worked just as well.

Jesus Christ, was that thing broken.

Pretty sure she and her buddies got bullied out of Germany by Lofwyr no matter what Blitz did.

You will not tempt me away from the path of wizardry. Away, vile wench.

What jokes? The story was just boring, no matter how you turn it
There were characters in that game?
I agree, the combat was the best part of the game
Sure, cause the game is rather easy, still, the balancing is questionable at most
Well, the combat is good. Story, characters and pacing were meh.

I'm not saying the game was bad, but it wasn't good either. Fun combat, shit everything else, with
being the shittest

Also, related popped today if anyone's up for some FI brand of so junky it's actually fun gameplay.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:Z5P2D33VZLMIYLBORSWBLCIFCG7CXTFW&

Is this the Fallout 2 sequel I always wanted? Had it on Desura right before they went under.

When given the choice I picked Desura key. I must be retarded or something.

D:OS isn't really "classic"
It's a series that's been running for over a decade.
The older games are better, honestly.

Completely different genres, all of them.

I assume you mean just Divine Divinity? D2 was acceptable.

Still bitter about Dragon Commander. Larian said it was a huge rush job because they wanted to get more time for D:OS. Not a fair trade in my opinion.

Have you played the game? Literally every tomb stone has a little pun on it.

I don't understand how anyone can prefer HK over Dragonfall. Even ignoring that the characters in HK are almost all far below the (still largely mediocre) characters of Dragonfall, they straight fucked up the new decking mechanics.

And still have not fixed the absolutely ludicrous oversight that to use any etiquettes the player character has to spec into Charisma, which is entirely worthless to 90% of builds, even when there's no reason one of your teammates who is in a relevant archetype (Gobbet/Isobel for Shadowrunner, Rachter for Academic, Raichu for Corporate, Duncan for Security, etc.) couldn't chime in. It would add at least a little more reason to bring along some of these assholes on missions.

No this is, enjoy resurrection.cz/en/

DFDC's probably a better game but I found the side missions much better in HK. Simply more reactive. Charisma being meaningful wasn't an oversight and to be fair hacking was pretty shit in DF as well.

Oh yea, thatโ€ฆ
"Here lies Brie. Something something cheesy."
Okay, there were 'jokes'. I kinda forgot since they weren't funny at all

Why don't you just play DnD (3.5e or pathfinder) with your friends (or on the Internet)? It's definitely better than, well, this.

There's the Age of Decadence, but the cutscene/dialogue system is overused to the point of being a Choose Your Own Adventure game unto itself, so some people consider it more of a CYOA / combat simulator. It's fairly hardcore and has lots of builds, decisions, playstyles, and story paths. It has very high replay value overall.

This video sums it up pretty well.

DD and BD were the same genre.
BD was shit, though.

Certainly 10 times better than Pillars of Eternity, but If Divinity was the best one made recently then the genre is dead.

Any fun builds for D:OS1? I remember starting this game totally lost and never getting back to it. I'd like to try it again.

2 wizards, 4 elements. 1 gets 2 elemental disciplines, the other gets the remaining 2.

You can get up to some crazy shenanigans combining all those spells.

Incidentally, it is doable (and fun) to make hybrids, but you have to be clever and careful about it. I think the Praetor plays more naturally to a hybrid playstyle.

Have you played Fallout: New Vegas? That one wasn't made by Bethesda but Obsidian. It was more true to the original fallouts and had old fallout staff working on it. Other than that I might as well mention Age of Decadence. It's basically post-apocalyptic ancient roman low fantasy fallout, and it was made by a colossal fallout fan. Still, it's also its own beast, and it takes the noncombat route and dialogue checks further than fallout did.

AoD is rough but I am looking forward to their next game which is set on a generation ship.

I can't wait to play it, too bad it's 4 years away assuming everything goes right.

I wasn't a fan of the "lolsorandom" reddit humor writing nor the bullshit RNG in modes higher than normal, but the customization and spell combos allowed me to endure the experience. It's good fun otherwise.

One common theme among the new wave of CRPGs, from Wasteland 2 to Pillars, is the hokey writing. The one exception was Dragonfall. I'd even call that one good.

I see this is your first RPG not made by Todd Howard.

I just looked it up. These are the stats. It literally sounds like something written by Holla Forums or /christian/

Volatile (-5 comatose, +5 always ready to fly off the handle)
Opportunist (-5 a man of principles, +5 what are principles?)

In fact, I am pretty certain this was made by a Holla Forumsack.

This actually made me cringe. I bet a lot of conservative anons will call the game "GOTY" because of this but this literally read like some shit you would read here and that would take me out of the game.

So games with fair hit rates are made by Todd Howard? Games that give you 20-30% while giving the enemy 70-90% accuracy are good games now? I call it bullshit not only because of everything you do being a coin flip even after buffs, but because it's cheap way of giving you hard mode. A better game would have given enemies better AI and more spells.

Yeah, one of their previews has them the line,
I see this as a good thing.

You have never played a pen and paper or classic RPG before user. Just stop while you are behind.

Welp. Now I looked it up too. Those aren't the character stats. Those are reputations and values. See: irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7363.0.html

Age of Decadence NPC. If you've ever played his questline, you would remember him. Pic related. It's him.

If your idea of classic RPGs are this shitty it's no wonder they died off.

Ever heard of dice before in an RPG?

That isn't anyones "idea" that is literally what a classic RPG is.

For some reason I'm feeling much better about myself. At least my fingers are still fast enough enjoy actual well-designed games.

Look up my Myfarog.

Are you really calling classic RPGs shitty?
user, we get it, you are 17 and just found Holla Forums.
But I guess Fallout and every other RPG made in the 90s is trash.

Riiiight.

Oh yeah, Morrowind, Fallout, Shadow Warrior, Divinity, Plane Scape, Neverwinter, Mother, nearly ever Pen and Paper RPG, ect, ect, ect are all bad now.

Shadowrun

No user, all of those classic and well loved as well as critically acclaimed videogames are in fact horrible. Also I am 12 years old.

Are you retarded?

Some people refer to computer RPGs as classic RPGs. Classic also doesnt mean old

Are you? He's using "classic" to distinguish the type of RPG, as opposed to the age.

FUCK YOU VARG

man that is setting the bar very low

first one didn't have enough bellegar hopefully they fixed that in this new game

So you just hate it because a member of their dev team is a sjw?

This game is probably the only CRPG I ever finished, let alone enjoyed, since the days of playing proper pen and paper style RPGS with friends.

It has all the appeals of the classics like baldurs gate and planescape torment, while adding a level of world interactive only comparable to any bethesda title post morrowind. On top of that, they delivered a game that actually adjusted to my choices, and left no character immune to what I might attempt as a player. It had stellar voice acting, an enjoyable story full of humor, great tactical gameplay that allowed for very gimmicky and silly strats, and even offered coop as icing on the cake?

There is only one other game that delivered so much in a single package that I could compare Divinity original sin to. Fallout new-vegas.

Go back to your gamergate containment threads, you le ebin "red pilled" faggot.

People who go into Underrail thinking that it's gonna have Fallout 1/2 tier quests and character development are going to be sorely disappointed. It's a game focused very much on combat, with quests being a device to push you forward or into new areas. I would know, I've completed the game twice, and even though it always turns out exactly the same in story, the different builds make for very varied and fun experience. Again, do not expect focus on story and branching paths.

NV was good, though Fo3 seemed to have more of the familiar vibe. I'll check that out though, thanks.

If I can put up with a constant stream of progressive faggotry, I think people can deal with a minor note of the contrary. Decent cRPGs aren't exactly everywhere these days.

Original Sin's best feature is how it handles co-op. I've only played a bit of it at a friend's house but want to get it on sale some day. Did that new special version they released have any negative impact on the game? I really hate it when they fuck something up and the original version is no longer available.

I can't even tell if this is bait.

Nobody said they hate this game because of one misguided person in the company. Everyone else here seems to think the game is okay, bar a couple who said it was bland.

The reason SJW devs are so hated is because their "games" are either pure garbage or just a vehicle for politics. Any criticism is deflected into an opportunity to further play some agenda.

Obviously D:OS is not that, so why fall back on that strategy? I've played all of their games at least once except BD and they've all been good, sometimes great. Still, it's obvious to me you are seriously shilling beyond suspension of disbelief, even for a Larian fan.

Everyone who likes RPGs should at least play DD, but to claim BG/Planescape-tier asks too much.

Are you replying to right person or are you just retarded?

Oh wait, I'm on Holla Forums, so it's obviously the latter.

So, a dismissal instead of a rebuttal?

I thought we left all you faggots behind.

Try Serpent in the Staglands.

I'm dismissing you when the very first point you tried to make is flat out wrong. I directly replied in context to a specific poster whom was the 3rd poster in the entire thread. First of which was directly aimed at pointing out the SJW developer. This poster also directly stated that he hated the game because of this reason.

I'm going to be taking my smug blank check to the bank as compensation for wasting my time and energy.

Stop being autistic user.

If you are referring to the screengrab of Swen Vincke embarrassing himself and the same poster referring to it as an sjwgame, he posts his many grievances with the game.

By reducing every point to something incidental that he said, you are just hearing what you want; affording an opportunity to post your 10/10 "stellar" review. If anything is a waste of time, it is that.

How fitting, reddit memes from someone who enjoys a bottom of the barrel crpg filled with reddit humor because they miss the good old days.

No just Original Sin. Those games had redeeming features to shit game mechanics in addition to a legion of fanboys to assure you that you have good tastes.

Fucking retarded lefty bald cucks, the good thing is they're genetic dead ends so they won't reproduce, the bad news is they'll try to indoctrinate your children instead.

The game was shallow as fuck, it had some neat ideas like physics and element combinations but there was so little you could do with it and massively lacking on skills and spells playing it just made me want to go back to go play BG2 or IWD again instead every single minute of it.

This is some low tier "trolling" but you got replies anyway.

You are a bigger faggot than he is if you need to strawman this hard.

Good luck trying getting that through the heads of these fanboys. Elemental combinations were wasted on Cheapass game design. It was actually better before the deluxe edition when they were the only reliable ways to deal with enemies.

But I said they're good in spite of it. And no RNG isn't bad just Original Sin's cheap usage of it as difficulty.

It's not a strawman, that is literally what that underage fuck said.

How is Original Sin's RNG worse than the RPGs listed in this thread? Oh wait, you would have actually had to play them to know this.

Divinity Original sin literally does this. Why are you complaining about a game you never played?

i spent four hours sneaking into houses and robbing them blind of all their art and had a great time

CRPGs have been shit for so long that any discussion about them becomes shitposting

Yea the revival hype was a lie but Div;OS was decent no doubt. Dunno about the sequel. There are plenty of old games to play anyways.

BUT WHATEVER YOU DO don't trust anyone who says Pillars of Eternity was good. Fuck don't trust steam reviews either.

WRONG ITS NO FUN GB2GAIA KID STFUUUUU SHIT REDDITTARD KID LOOK AT ME MOM

But the only good RPGs to come out in the last 5 years have been CRPGs. Divinity OS and Wasteland 2 are the best RPGs I can think of to come out in the last few years.

You must be the underage faggot here if that's what you read it as, he clearly said it was about the hard mode.

It's sad that there are anons who are so bored they go into a thread about a game they never played and act like they did so they can make up non existent complaints to pretend to get mad about. I can't think of anything more sad.

I'm glad they focused it that way instead of trying and failing to make it more story driven and potentially failing.

Making them more likely to use skills is not the same as giving them more skills/better AI

What kinda fucking idiot are you summerfag?

it's boring when you dont have art to steal tbh

Except Hard mode doesn't just do that and the fact that you are defending an underage user makes me think you are him.

How about making a CRPG that has a weaker gameplay and less skills than WoW while also having a weaker story than things that came out over a decade ago?
No offense, the game was a 5/10 at best and it's probably the best in the genre we got in a while, but it was really a terrible RPG by all standards.

Enemies literally get new abilities they don't get in the harder mode. Also AI also gets better. For example they pick their targets better or use their surroundings to fuck you up. I once had an AI teleport 3 allies onto lava killing us all in a single turn. That is something they only do on hard.
Objectively false
divinityoriginalsin.wiki.fextralife.com/Skills
Why are you bullshitting?

Wow is a MMO that is 13 years old with many different expansions. Of course most RPGs are going to have less skills than it.

Dude only 2 good games coming out in 5 years doesn't mean the genre is doing good

The genre is doing better on average than most modern RPGs. If everything else is shit, having 2 good games makes it infinitely better than everything else.

Giving enemies more health is not even worth mentioning.
Just go play one of the challenging BG2 mods, base IWD, ToEE if you want to know what a RPG combat should be like. Original Sin was shallower than WoW which is fucking terrible.

Why don't you go to half chan and shitpost instead of coming here and doing it? Why would you shit in your own room user?

He probably mains half chan and comes here to hurt us evil gamer gater nazis!

Your standards are terrible, Original Sin is decent enough, but it is to RPGs what Halo is to FPS, a massive leap backwards.

As it has been said. The enemies literally have more spells and act differently on harder modes. The enemies are also positioned different as well.
There are literally over 100 spells on that page.

Sorry I forgot that good classic games are pushing us back and we need to be progressive like skyrim.

user, it's called bait. It's clear this is just some asshurt samefag coming back to test his "troll" skills. It's obvious when he literally denies the number of spells linked to him on the page.

5-7 spells per tree, each character can master 2 at best
If you make an archer you pretty much end up spamming ricochet and arrow rain because the rest of the abilities are simply entirely useless all game.
Earth mage? Enjoy your boulder spam and deathly spores forever because that's all you'll be using.

Even 5 year olds can count. No one in this thread can think you are this stupid.

Name 3 worthwhile skills for archer.
Name any tree where you'll be using more than 3-4 spells.
You know the combat is garbage when Planescape has a deeper combat system than that.
Mixing water and electricity or poison and fire is fun the first 10 minutes I'll give you that though.

Oh, the classic goalpost moving and then "that doesn't count" technique. You said there were only 5 skills and now you will cry and say "W-Well only a few GOOD ones".
Yeah, no. By a third into the game I had 6 archer skills on my archer character and she was OP as fuck.
I know how this game works, I name a skill and you go "No, that isn't a good one" for about 2 hours because you find that fun. I ain't falling for your shit bait. It's already been shown in this thread that you and (you) have never played the game or are purposely making up bullshit about it. Good night user, I hope no one else responds to your shit bait tonight so you will get bored and leave so the thread can be fun tomorrow.

Honestly I've seen the same shit happen in WoW and Halo threads here, underage toddlers think a subpar game is god's gift to mankind and throw a tantrum anytime someone dares to point out something along the lines of Fallout 2 being better than 3.

If that's what you have to think to have fun with every character using the same goddamn 2 skills the entire game more power to you.
Also, the crafting system was fucking garbage they just threw in half baked, neat idea to actually give you recipes too bad they didn't really develop it or polished it properly.

Well, I guess you wouldn't be an arrogant douchebag without the stupid douchebag response, even when someone is unsubtly pointing out what a tool you're being.

There are some idiots who think Holla Forums is just for hating on things and collecting e-cred by acting like a sandy cunt. These idiots collectively belong on halfchan or reddit or wherever-the-fuck-else, but they think Holla Forums is their secret club or shit so everyone else needs to go until the place is just right for their faggotry.

I actually restarted the game on hard mode for the achievement after chapter 1 because of how retardedly easy the game was. The difference between normal mode and hard mode is that strategy you usually use to steamroll enemies works less often because of the bullshit hit rates. The RNG is artificial difficulty user. Dice rolls only work in pen and paper because the game master plans scenarios for failstates. Here you just restarted from gameover till RNG doesn't screw you over. This is the difference between a mediocre "classic crpg" like Divinity Original Sin and an legitimately good one like Dragonfall.

I'm sorry people's lack of reading comprehension of this "baby's" posts has so much stress to this classice RPG game collective. People underestimate the effects of stress on people in older age brackets especially when senescence sets in and they become less rational.

See this is the kind of tribalist thinking that causes your threads to turn out the way it does. Go create a safe space on reddit or something.

pick one

Divinity OS is garbage.

It damages your weapons and alerts guards/breaks stealth, so yeah, there are penalties, just not many because you're in the first town, AKA the tutorial area.

nigger

But 3 points into Charisma (6 Karma) literally pays for itself and then some over the course of the game in karma returns alone. Etiquettes are just bonus ways of bypassing dialog checks, that also allow you to slightly flesh out your character's background. The primary draw of putting points into CHA for non-shaman is the straight CHA checks, of which there are a fucking lot of. If you're dumping points for Etiquettes you're missing the point entirely.

Seems like you never actually completed it as a Decker, which gives you tons of karma bonuses and allows you to bypass an obscene amount of shit, while still being strong enough in meatspace to kill any non-boss target in 2 AP.

It's alright for a kikestarter title, still far from a good RPG, the entire design is pretty half assed, from the crafting system, the environment manipulation and even the combat system just never really progressing much, once you've made it to the lighthouse's boss you've already seen all the game has to offer really, while in any well designed RPG things would get progressively more complex, D:OS just never takes off.

niiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr

nigger

Underrail

Pillars of Eternity

Wasteland 2

Shadowrun Returns, plus Dragonfall Expansion

Age of Decadence

Fallout 1.5 Resurrection

Grim Dawn

Did you play the garbage enhanced edition that ruined all of the fun shit? 2x LW+GC mage/warrior in the original D:OS is insanely fun. Funnel every single bonus book into your mage, throw an elemental shield on your warrior so he's an invulnerable meat shield, and just effortlessly destroy the entire game on Hard.

I played D:OS after beating BG2 Sword Coast Stratagem in my 4th replay of the game and finishing IW: Hearts of Winter, I wasn't feeling like starting Wizardry 8 again and started checking the new games like this, Wasteland, Shadowrun and Underail.
Out of the 4 Divinity was certainly the weakest, some neat ideas but they certainly feel like the devs just never bothered developing them properly so gameplay is stagnant through the game.
It got a bit better when you reach Silverglen and access to some new abilities but there just isn't enough depth in the combat system and the story felt far too weak to keep you hooked either.

To clarify, that might be biased, Wasteland 2 was pretty crappy too but I have a massive boner for RPGs with guns.

Oh look, it's a nigger.

oh that looks neat.
that also looks kinda cool
โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€“
can you call that a real RPG?
garbage
the Remasters version is better and it had some potential. Ultimately it falls flat. Overall disappointment
trash
people say its good but I don't trust them because Returns was pure shit

too be honest Dungeon Crawlers have recently been my go-to for old school cRPG's. Clouds of Xeen, Legend of Grimrock 2, Eye of the Beholder etc. I have lost my love for Isometric "story driven" RPGs over the years. Which reminds me, I've meaning to finally take the time and play Ultima VIIโ€ฆ that is one game I never took the time to get into.
exult.sourceforge.net/

There's only so much replayability in story driven games, BG2 had some really autistically challenging mods which are totally worth a playthrough if you enjoyed the combat system, as is IWD and ToEE, but out of the entire subgenre Planescape Torment is probably the only MUST PLAY for the story alone.

Either that or you're not a learning animal. Most people would realize that maybe they should try a better build and strategy to deal with the worse success rates from a harder difficulty, but not you. You attempt the same strategy on a higher difficulty where its success rate is shit and just blame the RNG for not letting you win, as you save-reload over and over again until it does work. And then you blame the game for its hard difficulty being so unengaging and repetitive. That's the kind of tool you are. Psst: Maybe the problem isn't the RNG but the shit way you deal with it. Maybe you're just a bad player who doesn't realize that maybe he is doing something wrong if he finds himself reloading constantly.

I reckon your mother called you clever one too many times as a kid, and you let it go to your head, but you've really got to come to terms with the fact that you're just being an idiot.

Also:
Maybe the picture in my last post was too subtle for you to understand, but you're wrong and I'm not a redditor.

How to tell someone is shit at games.

You sure post like a Redditor if you ask me boyo.

Sure thing, kid.

I wonder how many the 50 year old Liberals hangs around Holla Forums? Did you vote for Hillary kiddo?

BG2 is trash tho

So are the Expeditions games good? I am having fun slaughtering indigines in Conquistador but the combat system needs balancing hard.

If you think it's fun to have a warrior character that only ever uses the same 2-3 damage dealing abilities all game plus maybe 2-3 buffs/debuffs then you're a fucking pleb, plain and simple.

It's also impossible for man-at-arms characters to also spec into another tree since you won't have enough primary stats (even with tomes) to support anything requiring int for example.

Everyone says pillars is garbage but no one explains why.

Balanced in the most NOT FUN ALLOWED way possible.
Words for the sake of words.
Generic fantasy.
Rtwp.

I haven't played Pillars yet but from what I read the combat was garbage when it was released and got better at the latest version, did you try that? Also yeah Sawyer is pretty obsessed with balance

It was so shit when I pirated it I decided it didn't deserve a second chance.

wrong. I had a warrior character that also specced into witchcraft and it did pretty damn well.

I beat the game on the hardest difficulty that doesn't delete your save on death.

Divinity original sin was, honestly, a game with golden combat mechanics.
The rest kind of sucked though, from the lore to the character and the items you got.
Many of the traps were tedious as well, especially the ones that had lava.

You tard, that completely destroyed your weapon doing it and destroys anything of value if it's right next to it.

see

No user, this is the new Holla Forums where every time you are an idiot it's the games fault!

SO I NEED TO HAVE MAX LOCKPICK TO UNLOCK A DOOR RIGHT AT THE START OF THE GAME AND YOU THINK THATS OK

It's not mandatory to go behind that door or anything.

Yes. Are you retarded?

Git gud, son.

Yes, heres a hint user
You can go back to the door later in the game

What is the combat like in D:OS? Is it a Real time with pause shit show or did they actually made it good this time?

Turn-based. With turns and shit. Actual turn-based, not "baldur's gate is turn-based" shit you see around here.
You and your enemies take turns.

How is the spellcasting and character building(is it like Gothic or TES)?
Are there party members?

There are both full party members with (boring as fuck) backstories and personal quests and henchmen without personalities.
There are no classes tho you choose a template at the start but you can change skills and stats.
More similar to Gothic than TES in character building, you gain skill points, stat points and "talent" points which are basically perks/traits.

1) Party members, except for Durant, are all entirely uninteresting. Some are just bad concepts (the male mage with some kind of female tomboy alternate personality and whatever the fuck Grieving Mother was supposed to be, for instance), but the majority are just plain boring. There's little point in suffering through their presence when you can make more effective custom characters and place them in your party.

2) Cliche and at times nonsensical story. Normally I don't count that too much against a game, but PoE seems to take far too much pride in its purple prose to let it slide here. I won't even count the horribly written KS backer self-inserts here, as those are easily avoided; the game's writing is just self-indulgent navel gazing.

3) Endurance as a mechanic makes no sense. If you're not familiar with the system, it's something like this: characters have Endurance and Health, two separate stats (Health is 3 or 4 times your Endurance). In battle, you take damage to both stats simultaneously, but spells (including ressurection) can only heal Endurance. Endurance is restored after a fight, but is capped at a percentage of Health (if you're at 75% Health, your Endurance is only restored to 75% of its maximum after battle). Health is only restored by resting. If your character falls to 0 Endurance in battle they faint but only die when they fall to 0 Health. I've oversimplified some details abd left out one or two things, but that's the most important ideas.

It's fucking stupid. The stated reason for it is to prevent the party from resting after every encounter, but you'll want to do that anyway most of the time for a very simple reason: spells follow the Vancian system, i.e. each spell has a limited number of casts rather than drawing from a resource like MP. Either you use your big spells on an encounter to avoid damage, or you save them for something important and take permanent damage (remember that Health cannot be restored by spells, so once it's lost you're fucked on getting it back until you rest). Plus, the further you go without resting the lower your maximum Endurance in each fight, because max Endurance is a percentage of current Health and because it can't be stated enough there are no spells to restore Health.

4) No buffs outside of combat. See that big fucking dragon over there? Want to get your frontline all big and tanky before you attack it? Well fuck you. They'll just have to take permanent damage until it finally casts after they've drawn aggro.

5) Because of this system, the Cypher class is completely fucking overpowered. It's basically a caster class that doesn't follow the Vancian system. It's resource is gained while in combat, and it has several very damaging AoE abilities with very potent status effects. I don't know how this class made it through playtesting.

6) The engagement system, where you take opportunity attacks if you move while in melee with an enemy, is interesting, but its design is flawed. Big boss enemies are always tanky enough that they don't give a single shit about the piddling damage your tank does when that caster is over there slinging fireballs, so they can move regardless. And hordes of enemies don't care if they take a casualty or two. It only hamstrings the player, not the enemies.

7) I don't know whose idea it was to lock the most important equipment upgrades to non-respawning secret bosses, but they're fucking idiots. Who am I going to need to use this on now that the hardest enemy in the game is dead, and why can I only get it on one character?

Also whoever wants single player rpgs to be "balanced" needs to off xirself.

Thanks for the detailed response

What, they're garbage and full of leftist nonsense

Since this thread seems like as good of a place as any to ask this, does this game ever get good?
I am currently on chapter 1 as a priest in the mines and its tedious as fuck as you have to dance around to avoid poison because you can't buy the spell to cure it and the exploration is asstasstic.
If it gets good I need some tips to power through it before I get frustrated and uninstall it to play another game.

The story gets better but the combat remains just as tedious. Especially since a couple of spells really trivialize it.

Can you give me some build tips then? Which schools should I focus on and which skills to avoid?
The plot is pretty neat even if the writing is needlessly long winded and verbose.

Shit, you should've caught me two years ago. The few utility spells like the use health to cast, the unlock ((shit)) or identify all, levitate and shields. So, inquisitorial and heretical to do the heavy lifting with tier 2 miracles, pagan and faith for support.

As for skills you can do everything with magic and enough stockpiled potions.

And try not to piss too many people off or at least save often.

Was anyone else totally blindsided by this? Did all the talent leave the studio? I mean, they worked with DnD enough to learn how to use a fun, if flawed rpg system.

As i said i broke the door down with no penalties. enjoy your shit game.

This guy's fantastic. Not only catching him get offended by elitism after posturing about his idea of "classic RPGs" but also getting him to reveal himself as a redditor.

B-b-but user it ruins your weapon that you're going to replace at that point in the game anyway. Th-there are consequences in game. Acknowledge them or face the wrath of our functionally illiteracy.

Dragonfall doesn't have much any of that, except for a bit with a social justice troll guy but you can tell him off. Returns is pure shit though.

You ruined your weapon and any treasure that might have been near it. You don't have to upgrade your lockpicking but it is a great skill to have.

What treasure gets broken by destroying doors? And is there any downside to just fireballing it/repairing your weapon after the fact?

this thread is apparent that Holla Forums does not enjoy video games

sage for meta, enjoy your tainted thread

It's kinda cute, really. Feel free to delude yourself by insisting that I must be a redditor if it makes you feel any better though. You're only proving what a tool you are.

Holla Forums enjoys video games in the same way that taxidermists enjoy animals.

The combat is just too fucking shallow, that's exactly the issue, just play BG2 where there's a complex rock paper scissor system with magic instead of just spamming Rockfalls followed by any flame spell, or in the case of enemies being immune to fire using ice and electricity instead.

BG2 had mods that rebalanced the game to make every fight be a agonizing game of chess, the base combat was pretty garbage though I'll give you that. Mage fights require a lot of thought in the game since there's a huge amount of buffs, shields and contingencies.

The game rolls for treasure when you open chests, so breaking chests deletes items that would drop if picklocked instead based on the roll, not sure why they are saying it affects breaking doors.

Pillars of Eternity is bad, but the White March expansion is a genuinely good adventure that adds a lot of meat to a really bare bones game. It fixes a lot of the problems the base game had.

The shadowrun games are more like X-com than traditional crpgs, but are still pretty fun.

Also tyranny is not a flaming bag of shit like I thought it was going to be but is actually pretty cool. I only just got passed the first act, but I am really enjoying myself. It might be because I am playing it after Torment 2, which was a bigger flaming bag of shit than I thought it was going to be.

go back to whatever shithole you crawled out of.

It's not particularly good, either. Short as fuck too.

I keep hearing this but I can't wrap my head around it. I genuinely wanted to like PoE but I don't think I've played a less fun game to this day, Dead Man's Switch and OP included. Maybe Wasteland 2

Shadowrun's revival has been pretty fun.

Wow it's almost like people disagree with you.

Yeah user. Are we going to disagree about the number of days in a week as well?

You just have shit taste.

Not quite classic RPG but Banner Saga was so good, Chapter 3 was best story and adventure there have been in gaming.

Fuck off Todd, I am not going to buy your shit games.

And how many spells could you actually cast with that warrior/witch? How long were their cooldowns? How big were the sacrifices you had to make to AP in order to pull it off?

The fact that you're whinging about it makes whatever you have to say obnoxious. Stop fucking whining you fucking faggot. It's a fucking imageboard thread.

Sorry I am upset that Holla Forums is turning the way of half chan. I guess I should just be a cuck and watch it happen a 2nd time.

You already are a cuck but if you want to watch that's cool, Mona.

This is your board too user. You are the faggot cheering it on as it's happening.

What the fuck are you niggers even whining about?

I haven't seen that reaction image posted outside leddit in ages. You might want to update your meme folder before before doing any more takes, my dude.

Being autistic because they read a post incorrectly and then shat up their own thread.

I hear the writing is filled with left-leaning politics and NPCs talk like 21st century neoliberals. How true is that?

Calling you an underage kid? Well yeah, thats what's going to happen when you act like one.

I'm not even the same user.

It's a little late to pretend you are someone else at this point user.

Honestly with how bad the genre has been it's not that hard to be the best but still.

I'm hopeful for D:OS2, but the developers' apparent desire to change their vision to casualize it for women is worrying me.

Devs need to realize that all you need to do to pander to women is add customization at the beginning and costume options throughout. If they can screenshot it, that's all they want. Leave the rest of the game as is.

Are you so old in the head you forgot we have IDs?

Original Sin was already dumbed down and casualized. They're just following the trend, user.

Very. Kingofpol himself verified marxist liberal agenda pushing, sanfran accents and literal Karl Marx literally appearing to shill Holla Forums.

The game's got two real problems: it's going to suck playing anything but nukem mage and there's half the game including the ending missing.

I don't play censored games.

You're upset because you're a piece of shit and the game called you out on it?

Oh look the Cranky old liberal is posting Simpsons again. You know at this point you are basically an avatar fag. Why don't you start name fagging as xXCrankyOldLiberalXx.

Hell you could even run it through a text filter like ๐•ฉ๐•ฉ๐•”๐•ฃ๐•’๐•Ÿ๐•œ๐•ช๐• ๐•๐••๐•๐•š๐•“๐•–๐•ฃ๐•’๐•๐•ฉ๐•ฉ. But I will just call you Donkey from here on out. ๐’˜๐’‰๐’‚๐’•๐’…๐’‚ ๐’š๐’‚ ๐’”๐’‚๐’š ๐’Œ๐’Š๐’…๐’…๐’???

,-' `._ ,' `. ,-. ,' \ ),.\ ,. / \ /( \; /'\\ ,o. ,ooooo. \ ,' `-') )) )`. d8P"Y8. ,8P"""""Y8. `' .--"' (`-' `Y' `Y8 dP `' / `----.( __ ` ,' ,---. ( ),--.`. ( ;,---. ) / \O_,' ) \ \O_,' | ; `-- ,' `---' | | -' `. | _; , ) : _.'| `.:._ ,.::" `.. | --' | .' """ ` |`. | :; : : _. |`.`.-'--. | ' . : :__.,'|/ | \ ` \--.__.-'|_|_|-/ / ) \ \_ `--^"__,' , | -hrr- ; ` `--^---' ,' | \ ` / / \ ` _ _ / \ ` / \ ' ,' `. , _,' `-.___.---'

this was meant for

god damn it Simpsonsposters always throw me off.

but I guess I will still call Simpsonsposter donkey to be morally consistent

:^)

the fuck are you on about

bill goi that science SJ Jew