What a bunch of overrated hacks

Not gonna bother mentioning Doom 3, Quake 4, and Rage, because as you know, they're SHIT.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P5C2rZf2GbY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The next thing you're going to say, "Videogames where the only thing you do is shoot is fucking stupid, I want menus upon menus and things that slow down the gameplay!"

How is this a bad thing. Carmack did pull a Griffith around Quake 2 though but this thread is bait at best and stupid at worst. Let's have an FPS thread, and let's actually talk about an overrated hack company who only made one original game and the rest were mods and other projects absorbed by them.

Is "overrated" Holla Forums's favorite buzzword? Because it's a pretty overrated word imo tbh

Romero dindu nuffin, Carmack just had one of his Asperger flare-ups and got pissy.

Honestly both Carmack and Tom Hall had great ideas for DooM. I would have loved to see them both, but I'm grateful we got one and I hear there's a half-dece DooM RPG mod out there.

Buzzword is, actually.

Fun is a buzzword

Nope, fun in that sentence carries meaning. Buzzword does not.

Check my dubs.

I actually like Quake 4.

The only ID game i ever liked was return to castle wolfenstein. Turned out both the MP and SP were outsourced to other studios.

Doom is fine you sperg. We need more focus on the technical side of things if anything because awfully buggy and unoptimized messes made by just graduated students for cheap labor is shit.

I don't know what it is about Raven Software games, they're so second-tier yet so fun.

Quake was lackluster garbage for anything but multiplayer, but not making Doom a story-driven rpg was the right decision.

Rage wasn't THAT bad. It certainly wasn't the hit new IP they wanted it to be. And it was poorly optimized for PC. I wouldn't call it "shit" though.

I was about to go full sperg on your ass, but you're actually right. Even Half-Life 2 was subpar garbage.

The original Half-Life, though…that shit was lightning in a bottle.

It was an improvement from Quake but still kinda bland experience. It already feels like an older game compared to Doom.

If it had Co-Op it would have been a lot better. I had a blast playing through the few co-op missions with pals a few times, felt a lot better than Co-Op in many other FPS I've played but there was only maybe an hour or so of missions.

Didn't Wolfenstein 3D come before Doom?

So why aren't Doom and all the other clones called Wolfenstein clones?

How was it lightning in a bottle? Half-Life's way of telling a story was ingenius meaning it would've been surpassed eventually, the controls are finicky how you're always sliding on ice and are stiff as fuck at the same time. The thing I can praise for it though is the amount of mods it had for it and how Valve was consumer-friendly but that was probably just to build up the company's staff and get games under their belt.

Why is it that Half-Life is never explained why it's le best game evar made, it must be fucking nostalgia because the game itself is in no way significant.

Because it told a good story without shoving cutscenes down your throat every 5 seconds.

Pure gameplay from beginning to end.

And nowadays Raven is stuck being Activision's bitch for some CoD's multiplayer or some shit
FUCKING KILL ME LADS

Doom had a shitload of graphical and gameplay aspects that Wolf3D did not:

Overall it was a much more complicated and demanding game. You can make a top-tier Wolf3D map in under an hour without even really knowing what the hell you're doing; a good Doom map takes just about a whole day (and that's only if you've got several maps already under your belt) if you're really fine-tuning the lighting and secrets and stuff.

But really, DooM is more of a Marathon clone :^)

I don't know about you, but endless action in Doom got me bored real quickly. Also, the 3 keys system is absolutely simpleton, repetitive, and really unoriginal. Tom Hall's vision of Doom (which is basically action oriented System Shock) would at least have a lot more variation and elaborate interactivity.

How so?

Then go play Marathon

You know what happens when you get over ambitious with the scope of a game?
Stuff like Too Human, Spore or, for a more recent example, Star Citizen.
Learn what you can and can't do, be realist about your scope. Keep things simple, something complex is harder to develop, improve, adapt and is crash prone.
If you see a developer bragging about how their game is complex, be cautious, it can easily end up stuck in development hell or drop features if released.
Learn to enjoy simplicity. Simplicity is not the same as laziness, you can have a simple game with a rich gameplay. The Atari 2600's controller, for instance, has only one button, but see games like Yars Revenge or cinematic platforms like Out of This World, Prince of Persia and Heart of Darkness, all these game have simple controls, but rich gameplay.

Good thing we have System Shock and Deus Ex then, Doom isn't pretending to be complex and the game while very good is overhyped that people think it's a 1,000,000/10 before ever playing it where it's a 10/10 like how Tetris is. Also if you played Doom 2 then I see your problem, Doom 2 has the worst level design of the series besides 3.

The environment of Marathon is honestly boring compared to Tom Hall's concept. It has no item management too.

But SS has shit controls, and Deus Ex is shit at every action aspects it has. Come on, Tom Hall's Doom isn't even intended to be an RPG, it doesn't sound complex, and at least it has a lot more variation than Carmack's Doom.

Quake 4 was made by Ravensoft, OP.

Also you sound like a faggot.

None of these things are problems. The real issue with id is John Carmack being in charge. He wanted to be unchallenged so he could make the technology. When he was challenged (John Romero) or if he didn't believe a person served any purpose anymore (Tom Hall, American McGee,) he'd fire them or force them to resign.

So, was he autistic?

YeahmmMMM
You could say thatmmMMMM.

kill yourself m8

He turned into a bird demon and raped Romero?

He fired everyone from his team for his vision/dream.

Yes

I mean HL2 was still original.

id software and their contributions were incredibly overrated by PC drones who hold their games as some sort of treasure and blessing to the industry.

that said, doom, quake are far better the games they are than the games they could have been if retards like tom hall got their way.

oh, and also serious sam is awful garbage.

I don't think you know how release dates work.

Yes Elog, we know.

Lost Coast was a tech demo.

Tom Hall was… nice but bad.
I hope he was let down easy.
Also kudos to Carmack for having the guts to cut the dead weight.

I wish this guy would stop posting his shitty videos here.

I wonder if Columbine would still have happened.

You're missing the point here

You are a complete retard if you think DOOM had any influence over them wanting to kill people.

The Matrix was arguably more influencial than Doom in that shooting.

Actually the myth of evolution had the most influence.

You're wrong, the fact that they were alive was what allowed the massacre to occur in the first place. If everyone was dead no one would've died. Checkmate.

I replayed Serious Sam recently. While the fighting was intense and the weapons were fun, it did not hold up for one simple reason:

The level design is fucking hot garbage.

The secrets are cool, but everything else about the level design is either frustrating or boring.

I also gave EYE another try recently, and found it several thousand times more fun after being given the simple tip of "upgrade your cyberlegs as much as possible and as soon as possible". Honestly, I kind of wish that the game would just drop most of the RPG elements, give you super-cyborg powers from the get-go, and just use brozoufs to unlock new weapons, psi powers, and cyber-augs, but oh well, it's still tons of fun.

I also find it incredibly entertaining that you can shoot ANY NPC in the game, including friendly ones, and not only can you continue the game (though in some cases you might have to restart the level), but you are REWARDED for it with brozoufs. I've made it a habit to shoot those two guys who tell you about the challenge areas before actually going into one, because it's a nice little brozouf bonus. And don't even get me started on how fucking funny it is to shoot that cryptic little shit with his stupid hat every time you run out of resurrectors. I'm kind of sad that you can't somehow shortcut to any of the endings by just shooting the Commander in his office instead of at the final confrontation, but I guess that would be a little too easy. It is funny that you can shoot and kill him, then just reload the area and he'll be alive and won't give a shit but you'll keep the money you got from killing him anyway.

How would you do it right, then?

Because standing around and doing nothing is considered gameplay
fuck off

i'd "software", if you know what i mean

hurr you stupid

So much better than the Obama vs. Romney battle.

Edgy.

Philosophical naturalism/materialism.

Not wealth and property.

>>>/reddit/

No, it's "meme".

id games were absurdly ambitious, way beyond any concept of that we have today, which is why they had the whole industry hanging off their dicks for years. Quake 1 not only had full software lightmapping so heavily optimized it ran well on a 486, but it had modern-style client-server multiplayer server selection over internet. This was such a new thing that we had to scramble to figure out how to use it. B&W TCP drivers for DOS plus whatever the paid predecessor to SLiRP was (tia?) over 7 bit serial was were hot topics and you needed a PhD to get it all working. It had a modding toolchain with its own portable language which was unheard of. And an integrated console with an API. And native Linux ports back when doing that with a game was a nightmare. On top of that it standardized mouselook (eventually - he didn't make it the default and the community initially tried to stick with keyboard and would argue against mice).
Not going with Tom's faggy shit wasn't for lack of ambition, it'd just have sucked.

leftycuck pls

Is Tom Hall's Doom even that complex?

Terminator Future Shock did it first, and it was far more modern than Quake with it's hip firing weapon perspective, default crosshair, default mouselook setting turned on, and dedicated grenade button. SS and Marathon had mouselook as well.

You wouldn't know, it wasn't even tried at all. At least Tom would get rid of the boring 3 key system with better method of interactivity.

A game zero people played standardized nothing.
No.

are you still shilling this shit? It's one of the worst shooters of the time.

I guess that's true. In HL, the world is occurring around you while you wait for NPCs to finish interacting, but that's different from watching the protagonist interact with other characters while you, the player, are off to the side in a third person view. Subtle difference, but it matters to the experience of the "uninterrupted adventure."

Games moved to optical media and people got used to stopping to listen to people yapping, and to stepping out of "your" body to watch "yourself" talk to people. Which isn't altogether a bad thing, but people really don't get the significance of the distinction.

cutscenes were at least skippable more often than not.

Go back to reddit cuck, if it weren't for oldfags telling you kids how the 90s really were, you newfags would believe in whatever retromarketers cooked up for you.

you usually fuck off and shut up whenever I post this, so here you all go, the revolution the industry and especially the greatest genre of all time - first person shooters - needed and got in the early 90s. Also it was so important that it wasn't until several years later where better and more popular games started doing similar things and clearly obviously stole from the todd mastermind's progenitor that the influence of the game was truly felt.

so very influential. oh wait it's fucking shit, and your taste is too.

I'm 39, Todd. No one played this or talked about this for years after its release. I didn't even run into it on pirate servers.

>BETHESDA
>BETHESDA
>BETHESDA

kek

Nice job, faggot.

You are a complete retard if you think it didn't. Literally everything around you is influencing you even if you don't realize it. I didn't mean to imply it was Doom's fault so you don't need to autistically defend the honour of your favorite vidya.

I've thought that before but never heard anyone else mention it. Is there any evidence they watched it?

Communism is extreme materialism.

god did you see when that 26 polygon walker bot died and rotated and until it landed on a blurry piece of geometry and exploded

you can even see the intense action with the monotone ambient track playing as the player shoots a dozen shots into the walker that is stuck on a piece of fucking geometry magnetising towards the player. Fucking based. Truly this is why this game is so influential. The mouselook (that doom also had just not vertically), the ON SCREEN CROSSHAIR ACTION that totally isn't a concept that dates back to the 2600. Man, Todd, what will you innovate on us with next?

Meanwhile, in a good game from the same year

I can tell you are a man of perception.

Yes, who could forget about the superior FPS games on consoles in the 90s.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

lol, console warrior. time for you to take a break.

Sorry, I'll add sarcasm tags next time.

BUT DOOD GOLDENEYE LMAO

1. remove the Reptilioids (both demon and normal) from the game entirely. They're not fun to fight, they're not challenging to fight, and pretty much every time I just end up sitting back and wailing on them from a safe distance with pistols. Which takes forever due to their overinflated health bars.

2. less gigantic, wide open spaces of absolutely fuck nothing. It's bad enough when it's just a horde of enemies on flat land, but it's even worse when there aren't even any enemies to spice things up. What's even worse is when you trek out to try and find secrets and after three minutes of walking and finding nothing, you realize you've found a dead end and have to walk three minutes back too. This is probably my biggest complaint.

3. no more platforming segments. This is a lesson we learned in Half Life 1: first person platforming is just not fun.

4. make the traps interesting somehow. Most of them were either boring or annoying, and usually there weren't even any enemies around them to make maneuvering through them fun.

5. add more variation to the combat arenas/hallways. Just adding a little building or two, or maybe some destroyable statues or some elevated terrain might of made them more interesting, and sometimes there are present, but 95% of the time, it's just a gigantic flat square or hallway with endless hordes of spawning enemies.

That's off the top of my head at least.

oh right, and the bouncy room and wind rooms? those are NOT the right way to make an arena more interesting. Not being able to aim at things does not a fun battle make.

Isn't this dot of points more aganist TSE? TFE I think had better enemy variety when it wasn't a thousand werebulls or kleers. The part where you're in a room of pillars and the floor starts to crumble down it's more interesting when items from that floor also fall down is alright except when you land on top of a enemy

those gimmick kleer rooms can be avoided and most likely MUST be avoided with a serious bomb

Rage was a knockoff of Mad Max (2015). Prove me wrong.

At least Masters of Doom was a fairly interesting read.

Rage was a knockoff of Mad Max (2015). Prove me wrong.
What do I win?

wtf i hate doom now

This video is awful.

Not an argument.

git gud.

You wot? How could they have ripped off something that didn't yet exist.

That's not how time works, pea-brain.

Do explain

user remember most of us can't perceive time in both directions

sure you can, you just aren't trying hard enough, try closing your eyes and screaming while you do it

holy shit it works
so that's how all those fuckers win the lottery

Decalcify your pineal gland first. Then maybe you can comprehend the true nature of reality.

good thing I keep mine locked in a secret box hidden wouldn't you like to know you fucking reptilian bastards

Doom certainly came first.

Marathon certainly was better.

Kill yourself nigger.

Tom Hall was fucking hack, just look at the Rise of Triad and its extremely shitty game design. Not to mention that his doom maps were also dogshit.
Yeah, they're SHIT precisely because they're NOTHING like original Doom/Quake, and more like Tom Hall's vision of id games.

nice dubs thread

On a side note, exhausting and tedious action and cheap gunplay (unlike Painkiller, at least Painkiller's gun handling is pretty beefy and solid) made Serious Sam a shit series more than everything else.

Zero plays it today due to the lack of mainstream appeal and open sourcing, but back in the day, Future Shock captivated some critics and gamers. The mouse control was especially controversial. It also was the grandfather of WASD, movement keys were bind to A+left shift+Z+X. It only gradually got forgotten after Quake and Duke3D came out. Marathon wouldn't be remembered either if it stayed on Mac.

Indeed, not many people played it even back then, but those who have played it were inspired by it's mechanics. WASD was first used by a Quake competitive player who quite likely have played Future Shock.

The reason why Panzer Dragoon looked so great was because it's a rail shooter with limited draw distance and mostly flat terrain. That water ripple effect looks nice, but it looks like fake 3D, more like 2D texture with distortion. It's like comparing Starfox to Doom on SNES. Doom definitely has less polygons, yet Starfox runs better.

RoT has absolutely nothing in common with the concept he proposed for Doom. That's like saying Romero and Carmack are hacks for making Daikatana and Rage.

Doom 3 was shit due to mechanical issues such as weak gunplay, cramped corridors, enemies spawning out of nowhere, lack of meaningful mechanics, and poor lighting. Rage was shit due to it's pitiful attempt to milk Fallout 3's and modern shooters' popularity.

Nice work you fucking shitty mods

Goldeneye has better level objectives and enemy damage responses than anything id has ever made. Shooting enemies in the head, the torso, the feet, the hands, and the balls give different response animations.

Why can't Holla Forums stop being retarded.

This famalam.
Did Doom 3 better than Doom 3.

It's a 1995 game.

Exactly. He was throwing shit fits because no one was going with his retarded vision ("hurr durr gams are sirius business, we need story, we need realism, who cares about fun"), and when he finally got a creative freedom, he didn't went with it either. And where did he ended up? Making mobile games with Romero and unsuccessfully trying to kickstart shitty games.

it was on windows in 1996, but it is still the le mac shooter (its also a bad game)

why do you talk about things you don't know anything about? Learn about infinite planes, perspective correction, quads, etc. before you talk about shit you dunce

hey anyone ever notice how the more of these first person shooters get passed around, the more are revealed to be really bad, its almost like the genre barely has a dozen games worth the time

system shock did it better

The only thing I dislike about DooM is not being able to disable mousewalking from the menu.

I wonder why they haven't made that an option in Doom 2. They were perfectly aware that people were playing KB+M by then, because pretty much every new monster in Doom 2 was geared towards fucking over challenging circlestrafers as a revenge for them thoroughly humiliating the Cyberdemon.

Nothing edgy about the truth.

I like them and I like you OP.

if either romero or carmack wasn't listened to, none of those games would be remembered at all

That skybox will always be associated with huddling in fear from cyberdemons for me.

OP is a faggot that can't put in the effort to have good reflexes.

id Software was, until it fell apart, a dynamo team much greater than the sum of its parts. They're only overrated hacks because they don't want to work with each other any more and because their desires in making video games were too divergent. Carmack is perhaps the smartest and most talented, but he only cares about technical research. Romero is and always will be a dork who thinks he's a rockstar. Tom Hall is like Romero but understood almost nothing at all about video games at the time. Adrian Carmack, the not-blood-related artist for Wolf3D and Doom, is a decent artist but never seemed to evolve past his infatuation with Giger. None of these people spell amazing video game success on their own, quite obviously.
I'm a programmer and I respect Carmack's work as a programmer. But the fact is he never cared about video games. He saw video games as the vehicle for his actual obsession, virtual reality and simulation. That was not a recent thing; it's always been his ultimate goal. I believe he advocated playing it safe because he was worried money wouldn't flow in and he wouldn't have his own personal platform to do graphics and other technical research on. He is especially obsessed with realistic visuals and graphics tech.

To be fair though, Tom Hall was a fucking faggot and his Doom Bible is mostly cringe material. But causing John Romero to leave and become yet another uncontrolled auteur with an overinflated ego when he could have been making masterpieces with a little external discipline – much the same way Tim Schafer is now – is pretty fucking unforgivable and a total waste. Romero went on to fall to his own ego but he was correct when he chose to leave because Carmack was holding back the true game making potential of the studio. Romero's idea for Quake wasn't even really that off the wall. Just a Lovecraft inspired gothic RPG. At least we got the best set of 3d levels for a shooter ever made out of it, but Carmack scrapped around a years worth of work on Quake simply because it wasn't a shooter.

Just my two cents as an id "fanboy" who became disillusioned as he researched more about his role models.

Is that you gene?

I do love Half Life 1
HL2 was really mediocre, and HL2:1 was way too short
HL2:2 was pretty good though. Not as good as HL, but still good. I haven't played Blue Shift or Opposing force yet
Also, what does Holla Forums think of Black Mesa? I enjoyed it

I'll, uh, assume you're talking about PWAD situations.

Stay mad retard.

mad max is an old setting yo

Romero had to beg Carmack into keeping multi-player in Doom, carmack wanted to remove it.

Back in the BBS days we got a few nasty letters from id Software because Carmack saw us reverse engineering the .WAD format and making multi-player levels as "competition".

The cease and desist thing was so nutty that WAD makers started coordinating their releases with BBSs, sysops would organize to release new sets of wads all at the same time just so Carmack couldn't track down where they were coming from.

That was how mega WADs and map packs got started – where a single .WAD would have maps from many map makers.

Romero begged Carmack to help us mod by releasing the node builder tool – one of the last things to be reverse engineered, but he refused. Due to Carmack's modder persecution we had regular monthly mass release of wads, and Romero was finally able to show spikes in game sales that corresponded to just after we'd released new WADs.

Then Carmack finally relented, and released the node builder tool, but we had already developed a superior nodebuilder by that time.

Doom became successful despite Carmack. The evil and elder magic ideas were all Romero. Romero was the one who playtested and tweaked the shit out of Doom to make it fun.

Carmack never understood multi-player gaming and the mod community. That's why Rage had a fucking racing game bolted on.

Carmack retcons himself as the champion of modding and fast frenetic competitive gameplay but that asshole tried to kill multi-player gaming and user generated content – the two things that made Doom a hit game. Those game elements were preserved, honed, and published due to Romero.

Also, the graphical tricks the doom and quake engines used did not originate with Carmacks. There were many examples of such textured 3D effects which predated Doom, and a whole community sharing those tricks. Besides, I was playing stand up 3D VR Dactyl Nightmare games at the mall a year before doom even came out. I had a VR helmet for playing Descent. I don't see what all the hype is about. With VR you get a headache because your eyes do not change focal length, and some people get motion sickness because the inner ear doesn't match the visuals. Reducing latency has nothing to do with these, they can't be fixed until we have Trans Cranial Stimulation to make us feel like we're moving, and true holographic displays that allow the eye to focus at multiple depths. Oculus Rift is a shitshow. Pic related is what my VR gear looks like today. Sunglasses. And they even work with my mobile phone. I've had them for years and I will never strap a toaster to my face again.

Everything id has done since Romero left is shit.

He specifically said Mad Max (2015).

My only problem with Painkiller is the fucking bugs. They just annoy me so much every time they happen, that i just don't even bother replaying it.

Hey John.

Hmm. I don't remember that at the time, but then my memory of 1993-ish is a bit hazy although I think the game shipped with the -file parameter enabled, so take it for what it's worth. Even if that did happen it didn't last long at all, that's for sure, because I do remember in 1994 that the WAD community wasn't having much in the way of problems from ID, until DeHackEd was released. I EXPLICITLY remember that Jay Wilbur said that it violated the license for the game and there was a controversy over that at the time, some rumors got kicked up that ID wanted to use legal tactics to increase profits (which ended up not happening long term, obviously). It was around May or June that it happened.

Anyway, enough of that. Here's a random video of what -left and -right would do if they worked in post v1.1 releases of Doom.

[citation needed]

No. SJW is Holla Forums's favorite buzzword.

id Software were all a bunch of fucking retards whose individual strengths made up for each others' retardation. Unfortunately John Carmack is a super-retard and his retardation overwhelmed the others, eventually destroying both the company and himself.

They should have ganged up and drowned him in the Shreveport swamp tbh

john carmack is the only reason games like doom and quake were actually fucking fun

For fucks sake.

Do either of you have any memory of what the community response to TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment was like? Were people up in arms about "paid mods"?

what? is this a .wad I can download somewhere?

That's Doom 64.

also i finally played doom 3 (2004) recently, online is a whole lot of fun and is the closest thing to doom about the game. it is not as bad as people claim and while the multiplayer maps are small (as only 4 players can play together) they all really work well with that limitation

there is something called doom 64 absolution, which is a pc port of the nintendo 64 game. give it a shot its great

Are you alright, user?

Dont use the absolution, its not doom 64. Use doom64 ex.

I have to disagree with you on everything except for the wide open areas. I know they where trying go for a wide open desert feeling, but when I can go 2 miles outside of the playarea, things get retarded.

Then in the secret level right before great pyramid there is a secret area where you get to walk around an giant (not the largest but still big) pyramid. I was literally having to use rockets and the akimbo revolvers just to take out the Reptilioids half a mile away.

Thankfully the gave you a sniper rifle at the start of Serious Sam the Second encounter, which makes the wide open area more enjoyable and more playable.

he was the one who wanted to keep story out of doom, his famous quote "Story in a game is like a story in a porn movie. It's expected to be there, but it's not that important." and he was responsible for scrapping quake as an rpg to be what it is today. i think doom and quake are near perfect games and they wouldn't be anything near what people love about them today without carmack

I do recall the flame war in regards to Final Doom, it was mainly focused around Evilution since it was set to be a normal "public domain" megawad…before it wasn't. Plutonia OTOH was a contracted expansion from the get-go, although that didn't stop instances of "area bombardment". It was fairly intense for a little while but it ended up dying out for a variety of reasons (Quake was coming VERY soon, Final Doom ended up not drastically changing the equation of the modding scene after release, the Doom source was eventually released which smoothed over a lot of things on ID's side and Team TNT were involved with the Boom sourceport which did the same but for them, and so on).

In retrospect I don't see many parallels overall with the much more recent Bethesda+Steam situation; Evilution hadn't actually been released into the wild yet so it wasn't a case of ID profiting off of prior work (which Zenimax and Valve were very much trying to do). Also the distribution model that would allow for a true paid mods system - namely Steam - didn't exist yet. Basically the threat that you have now was (at the time) structurally impossible. And I also don't think that it was the end goal of John Romero ID anyway, I think they wanted something they could slap together quickly that was alright quality-wise but where they did the least amount of work possible.

However there was a problem with an "in-development" community project becoming officially licensed just hours prior to a normal release. That was really a big part of the whole situation. There likely wouldn't have been any controversy at all if ID had given the Casali's extra money to make 64 "contracted from the start maps" - post TNT, after a normal release - rather than walk into a "buy one half and make the other" situation which is what ended up happening. Even if they needed two megawads quickly, I think there were other projects that could have been used instead (even a compilation of single maps into one big one would have sufficed). All and all Romero made a mistake here (and I guess TNT did as well since it takes two to tango), but then this was mid '96, he was on the cusp of making several worse ones.

Don't forget Natural Born Killers.

Next time I'm editing these longer posts in a word processor.

Interesting read. I do agree that what happened with TNT isn't exactly applicable to the current situation with Bethesda/Steam. Thanks for the write up.

Romero had a good sense of game feel, but not a great technical understanding of it. Not a bad thing, really. Some painters are Bob Ross and know the exact steps to make a perfect painting, others just let it flow and still come up with something beautiful. Romero was more of the latter.

Carmack was an autist who could do impressive things with code (though as has been mentioned, he wasn't the first to do any of these things), but for the most part his autism made him very no-fun-allowed, both with the team and with the game itself (on the flip side, it also steered him away from a story-heavy Doom, which was really for the best).

Hall was booted because he was just retarded.

Let me just say this: When I'm in the mood for EXTREEEEEEEEME ACTIOOOOOOON!!!, to this day there are few games that top Doom if any. Sometimes I just want mindless insane crack-fueled action.

Speaking of crack, any recommendations of substances to enhance the Doom experience?

Try adding some red food coloring dye to some anabolic steroids, mix it with bull testosterone and administer it with a hypodermic needle. Boom, instant IRL berserk pack.

No, he wasn't. Actually he'd probably be the first to admit it. A fair amount of the technical stuff was inspired by previous work by Michael Abrash (who developed Mode X for VGA - or at least was the first to publish it in detail - which was used in everything ranging from Duke Nukem 2 to Earthworm Jim). He's a good hand for technical stuff (even now) and Carmack used some of his stuff for the Doom Engine, specifically Mode Y which was a variant of Mode X. It wasn't the first time he did it either (happened with Keen and Wolf 3D), hell even Raven cribbed Abrash work for Hexen and Heretic.

Quake was originally going to be an RPG based on the same concept as Daikatana (although less retarded). It seems like you just kind of take your own interpretation of it all and superimpose it on top.

Carmack was their DM, most of id's early games were meant to be recreations of Carmack's RPGs.

The gunplay are worse than Half Life 2, and Half Life 2 had shit gunplay. The graphics weren't as good as Half Life well. The only thing Doom 3 excelled was the lighting system, but the lighting wasn't even implemented properly.

Doom and Quake lacked long term progression and meaningful interactivity. Well, I don't mind the first games in the series being action oriented to introduce the engine, but the sequels could've been more elaborate. What Carmack did was scrapping Tom Hal's concept entirely, but proceeded to make a watered down ripoff of it with Doom 3.

There's no dynamic lighting, it's all static and tied to the sector (BTW, you can set the light level from 0-255, but only increments of 16 really make any difference). You can do some limited effects with special sector tags and linedefs, but that requires extra work on part of the level designer. All the fancy shadows and lights you see in some maps like that maze in Halls of the Damned (E2M6) were carefully constructed, and not just the result of placing a light source. Quake was their first engine that could do dynamic lighting on its own.

It didn't run that good on a 486. I first played it on a friend's 486DX4/120 with PCI video, 16 MB RAM, and the turtle icon showed up a lot, so it was dropping frames constantly, even at the lowest resolution. But on my p120 it ran smooth even at several vid_mode's above the lowest. I had the same basic 1 MB PCI video card, and 32 MB RAM. The processor made all the difference (Pentium FPU was much faster than the 486 one).

Really neat to read this. I was alive during that time, too.

Try telling this to the VR Hype Krew. They insist that all this have been fixed and people will tolerate a sweaty, itchy, nauseating brick on their head.

I use HMDs for immersive 3D but just disable headtracking altogether and set the near depth high enough that focus isn't an issue.

the guns felt great, and while as a doom game i found it lacking the multiplayer felt like a mixture of quake 2 and doom 64 which i feel like it pulled off very well
youtube.com/watch?v=P5C2rZf2GbY
also doom 3 is directed and designed by tim willits, carmack didn't make the game he made the engine. if he had any say doom 3 wouldn't have been a shitty half life ripoff