What are the best campaigns/story/etc in the FPS genre? I wanna shoot some shit

what are the best campaigns/story/etc in the FPS genre? I wanna shoot some shit.

I feel like there hasn't been a good campaign in ages

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/elite-force-graphic-overhaul-project
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Voyager_–_Elite_Force#Widescreen_resolution
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cuck of Duty has sadly the best singleplayer FPS campaigns. They are always filled with good voice acting and cutscenes. But the gameplay is still worthless so it doesn't matter anyway.

If I had to recommend a solid story-rich shooters it would be The Darkness II, Spec Ops The Line and Singularity. Everything else is mediocre at best, unless you enjoy crap like Metro.
Of the 3 games mentioned above, The Darkness II is my favorite. Great shooting, great story and great voice acting. Little bit short though.

i've played all of those but the line, isn't that a third person shooter?

i should mention i don't necessarily need a great story so long as the action is pretty solid, kinda like FEAR

oh i forgot to mention one thing i disliked about the COD campaigns i did play is how enemies infinitely respawned until you reached a certain point in the area, made playing on harder difficulties a drag

Any FPS game that lets you carry 10 weapons or more at the same time.

The Darkness 2 is Garbage when compared to The first game, The frist one was made by the same guys who did Escape from Butcher Bay. It's a real shame it was never on PC.

Perfect Dark

The Star Wars Battlefront games are fantastic.
Doom/Quake community content could keep you busy for eons.
STALKER is a little more RPG-like but is much more of a world and story.

i played gunslinger, got it for like a buck and ended up loving it, shame ubisoft can't keep quality consistent

Their good shit is made by their B-team or they just publish the game.
>tfw Scott Pilgrim

Blood dragon maybe ?

Bulletstorm is a lot of fun.

i tried a console version of it ages ago, i liked combos and getting points for various kills, but i got hit with a game breaking glitch so i returned it to whoever i borrowed it from at the time. i'd be willing to give it another shot if it wasn't under gearboxes name

Obvious answer, especially given OP pic

STALKER has a pretty good campaign

most of those aren't even FPS

You've got some extremely shit taste of you think any of the COD campaigns are better than F.E.A.R., Half Life, and even NuDoom. There is nothing enjoyable about any of CODs extremely scripted sequences, qte and whack a mole gameplay. The only COD campaign that was ever any decent surprisingly is Black Ops 3 because it at least gives you a little freedom on how you play.

I count 13 FPSes which is more than half of the list

Spoken like a true console cuck

this is a faggot of the highest caliber and should be ignored.

OP, i will give you a definitive list (yes there will be some repeats from people who have already posted in here)

metro 2033
stalker shadow of chernobyl
doom
star wars dark forces
star wars republic commando
chronicles of riddick dark athena and butcher bay
call of juarez gunslinger
black mesa
dark messiah
FEAR
various wolfenstein games, namely rtcw and tno
if you want a great laugh, rogue warrior
red orchestra 2
pretty much any medal of honor
EYE
judge dredd vs death

Its got a great single player campaign actually. I would say for sure download this.

RO2 has a campaign? i didn't know that, i could go for some WWII themes so i'll put that higher on my list

Fuck off you autists.
OP asked for FPS with good stories. A.k.a. cutscenes, voice acting and a plot. Whether you retards want to admit it or not - Call of Duty has the best story-focused FPS campaigns when it comes to story thanks to great cutscenes and voice acting. Metro and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. have almost no story at all. FEAR, HL2 and the other classics are things that every single person in the board has already played and there is no reason to mention them.

OP here, i didn't really ask for that but i guess i didn't phrase it well. when i think of a good shooter campaign i think of something that's got fun levels and scenarios and good feedback when shooting the AI

It doesn't really have a real campaign, it's basically a bunch of bot matches with a loose set up about where the fight takes place and its strategic importance.

Titanfall 2 had a surprisingly enjoyable campaign with some nice bossfights and most of the levels having really enjoyable gimmicks, though I don't think I'd recommend buying it since it's from EA. I guess if you've got a console you can probably find a used copy dirt cheap though.
Vermintide was alright for a couple playthroughs though I don't know if that's really what you're looking for since it's a co-op game.

I'm backing Titanfall 2. I actually recommend buying it since it's cheap, the MP is great, and it sold poorly and that makes me sad. There are plenty of great recommendations in this thread.
I'll get plenty of flak for this, but Doom 4 has quite a fun campaign. Try to pirate it because you shouldn't pay for that awful MP and Bethesda doesn't deserve a cent.

This man is bait incarnate. He is not to be trusted.

A more specific question, what are some games with minimal or subtle story-telling, anything where you can shoot not just FPS. Shit like Doom and Blood don't count and Half-Life is already known.

I'm surprised it was never released on PC too, that game was great in making you feel like a fucking predator.

Unreal 1

Here's a game that suits your criteria while at the same time being so obscure that you can't shit on it in a few greentext lines without having played the game or making it incredibly obvious that you skimmed over the Wikipedia page for a minute

My man. I just reinstalled Marathon this week. Great games.

I suggest BF Bad Company 2. Fun campaign, nice guns to chose from, somewhat open maps and a tank level.

This board needs a purge
Holy shit

Try Timeshift, it's sorta like HL2 if HL2 had focussed on the shooting instead of the adventure and physics.

Shadow Warrior 2 is pretty good OP, certainly better than NuDoom and one of the better modern entries.

I actually want you to kill yourself for posting this tripe here, jesus fucking christ your existence is an abomination in the face of good taste.

You could try CoD 1 and its expansion UO, neither of those have infinitely respawning enemies or indeed regenerating health.

Is this bait? Granted Singularity isn't bad but it was lost potential: the game given how much they cut it and tried to turn it into Bioshock lite (Bioshock a shit anyway).

If OP is still about you want either FPS games with a good story or FPS games with good action yes?

Its mediocre at best.

Your weapon builds are shit
and the fact that builds exist brings the whole game down, I know, but the game is still great and fast as fuck

Also I realise the third and fourth pics related are not strictly speaking FPS games but they're heavy on the shooting, play like an FPS game with the camera pulled back and story is pretty emphasised so they should scratch the same itch in my opinion.

Can't think of many more right now that haven't been mentioned. Sin I'm not sure I'd say has a good story but it's kind of enjoyable in a B movie way.

What makes the second SOF better than the first? I really enjoyed the first and reviews (mainly the jungle level) make me feel meh on the secons to the point where I don't feel like playing it.

I've replayed this campaign probably 7 or 8 times over the last 8 years.

RO2's campaign is a slap-on to add on more content, everything about RO2 should be avoided.

The 2nd is just slower and tacticool, people didn't like it because it wasn't like the first.

As much as I enjoyed NOLF1/2 the game's combat was… questionable at times. Really great games though, but the shooting was the worst part.

True, particularly in the second game.

doom

Explain this autism.

United Offensive is superior

For MP sure, for SP I'd also prefer 1. The slav campaign in UO is inferior with the exception of the scale of some of the missions.

You really must be retarded if you mistake explication for being a story. A story in a good game comes together naturally through the player's actions, it isn't shat into his face by epic cutscenes and QTEs.

I'd say thry're pretty much on par aside from the intro mission which is one of the most memorable fucking things, especially if you played it at the time.

I think TF2's campaign is pretty good

The only thing Staker and Metro lack are the excessive cutscenes, so it figues you rather let the game play itself like a visual novel.

1 also has Red Square (to this day I can't hear the theme without also hearing the ingame sound effects) and Pavlov's house.

I mean I still enjoy the fuck out of UO it's just that I think 1 is overall better. UO's bomber mission is the tits though.

You're a nigger with taste, I'll concede
American foxhole defense in the snow is still the tightest shit and gives me a Bulge and the Prison/Boat missions are still pretty shit

Is there a good HD texture mod for it?

Oh yeh, both it and Kursk really took advantage of the new MGs and the fact the average customer had better hardware.
True, I also liked UO's Navarrone mission.

No idea but it isn't that bad looking honestly, just make sure to run it in widescreen (you'll have to edit a config file probably, check pcgamingwiki). If you're gonna play it try and get the expansion pack too.

Timesplitters Future Perfect. I haven't had fun in a singleplayer FPS campaign since this game came out. If you want a gem, a reminder of when arcade FPS action was still good, and to laugh, this is the game you want. Spoiler: The first level is supposed to be a straight-faced dry satire of modern shooters from that era. When you move to the next level suddenly the entire tone changes and it's like a completely different game.

A quick look turned up this but it doesn't look finished. moddb.com/mods/elite-force-graphic-overhaul-project
See this for widescreen you technically don't need to use an autoexec file since you could manually edit the .cfg files but whatever, that method works. pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Voyager_–_Elite_Force#Widescreen_resolution

Fun fact: both CoD 1/UO and Elite Force run in the same engine.

Shittons of games at the time used the Quake 3 engine though, its not too surprising.

Not if you know your history sure, I wonder how many younger anons have grasped that though. It's helpful knowledge because they all use the same method to set widescreen resolutions.

Haze
Breakdown
Resistance
Clive Barkers: Undying
Messiah
Blacked

Thanks

Metro is literally Call of Duty in the book's setting

Nobody mentioned deus ex? It has the best story of any FPS game, for reasons I will not attempt to explain.

For terms of fun story, Vanquish will do. Its coming out for PC in 7 days.

Deus Ex is an RPG.

So is Stalker, but they're first person and you wave guns around and sometimes even shoot bullets out of them

STALKER is more FPS than RPG, or if you prefer RPG-lite: it does not limit the player's actions based on the skills of the character.

Strife

Its not a perfect game but its fun challenging and you can fuck up alot in realistic ways.

Its worth the try to see if you would like it.

The Halo games caused a lot of issues in the genre, but they themselves actually have pretty good campaigns.

The first one hasn't aged all that well though.

First and third are the only good campaigns, ODST too but that was an expansion that Microsoft made full price to milk Halokiddies.
Halo 1 has aged pretty well, stop being a fag.

What the fuck are you talking about?
Halo 2>Halo 3>Halo 1>>Reach>>>>>>The Rest.

i liked the first one, but 2 looked like it became a looter-shooter which is a bit unfortunate

i'll always praise binary domain, i grabbed it back on initial release too, been meaning to grab PC version on a sale or something

i am not a good pirate

i musta played halo 1 and 3s campaigns a million times each when i was younger and still had an xbox/360. Halo still might have the best use of generic soldiers to fight with, i'd always go out of my way to keep them alive and in 3 i'd give them my power weapons like the rocket launcher when it had one shot left since the marines got infinite ammo

Absolute fucking trash

Recently, Titanfall 2 had a fan-fucking-tastic campaign.

It was actually given away free a while back, shame you missed it.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is kind of like playing an action movie at times. I thought it was pretty cool.