After dusting off my ps2 slim i found out i can't use free mcboot anymore to load games

After dusting off my ps2 slim i found out i can't use free mcboot anymore to load games.
Tried every combination of swapping original ps2 games before, during and after loading but won't load. Should i just buy a swapmagic or is there an official guide for latest version of free mcboot so i can update mine?

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/gynuhg.ELF
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Have you tried letting it load the game automatically?

If you're intent on using ESR, then try cleaning & calibrating the lazer? other tgan that, I'd say you're stuck using the OPL SMB method

Can't that not handle games like Dynasty Warriors that use swap disc features?

if you mean power it on with the burned game inside and lid closed, yes. It acts like there's no disc inside, giving me the normal ps2 menu and not the free mcboot

I cleaned the laser but i don't know how to calibrate it. i'll look around how to do it and try again.

No, can't do it. Stuck on shitty old laptop.

Check if your laser work with a legit game.
If the laser isn't the problem then try to launch a different version of ESR like ESRGUI (the one included in bundles) from a usb stick.

I am guessing you only have one memory card. I dont recommend you try to reinstall free mcboot like that unless you are confident you can do it in one try.
Basically launch uLaunch elf then go into the free mcboot installer, format the memory card, and reinstall freemcboot.
Or if you have another MC then install freemcboot to that one instead

Have you tried not living in the past?

Fuck off loser, he is much better off buying another PS2 than sticking to this turd you are offering

Already did. original games don't have any issue.

As for the reinstall i'm hoping to avoid that since i read it's not raccomended because of the possibility of fucking up and have to repeat all the reinstallation process from start (and i don't have the game to do it). Also yes, only one memory card. I'll look into esrgui for now.

Just to add a not: The game i'm using is patched with esr so that's not the problem. To be sure i'm using one that worked without problems in the past.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

You've got to let the past go and play the best AAA games on the market.

Fun fact: the artist in OPs pic mad3 a concept image series of "sweet dreams", basically him trying to sleep on a cake. Asshole photographer sold the pics to a stock image site without his permission

Reminds me of that monkey selfie, where the owner of the camera (or the monkey i do not know who) tried to sue for use of the image without their permission, it was resolved the rights of the picture are the property of whoever took it, in this case, the monkey.

I can't find ESRGUI and the dowload link on psx-scene are dead.
At this point i'll try my luck with OPL even though i remember there was a reason you couldn't use it on a ps2 slim.

Back when I used free mcboot with my fat ps2, it could play the original ps2 games fine - but the copies I burned just wouldn't work since the laser was old and I guess the discs weren't high enough quality copies.
I eventually gave in and bought the network adapter to essentially stream games to the ps2 - which works great by the way - but since you've a slim ps2 you should already have the ethernet port at the back of the system.
Another option would be using usb, but I've heard there can be slow downs and bugs that you wouldn't get with ethernet.

Here you go, it comes in the bundles i told you

my.mixtape.moe/gynuhg.ELF

mixtape fucks with the names but that is ESRGUI

Thanks man. Do i have to rename it, format the usb to a certain file system or i can just copy it and boot it from mass:/?

It sucks having to connect your PS2 to a computer to play games, plus you had to format a hard drive in Fat32?
I managed to repair the laser on my slim twice, it was very easy, but you need to do it with care.

The usb needs to be in fat32 which is the default for most usb sticks, all you have to do is boot the elf from mass using uLaunchElf

Still no luck. After loading i select launch cdvd but it won't start.

Try starting with the DVD already inside, or try opening and closing the lid, that is all i can do to help, well i tried.

Thanks anyway, i really appreciate it.

Shittiest emulator ever

Go SMB (bit of a setup but far better than USB, worse than HDD though) in the meantime, either you're doing something you shouldn't and you'll realize it sooner or later or the laser is fucked and you'll have to repair that wouldn't recommend fixing that yourself unless you're comfortable with that kind of things.

Does just fine just don't be a retard and click reset when you swap disc.

Works for me. Sorry sub human faggots, but computers arent for everyone. Go back you ur pathetic consoles.

Just get a fat ps2 user,they re pretty cheap

Get a fat PS2 with a hard drive
As a rule of thumb emulate the games that run well in the emulator and only use the console itself if it doesn't.

i barely slogged through ZOE1 with this thing. the terrible framerates combined with the god awful story and camera was one of the worst gaming experiences i've ever had.
ZOE2 was good though

In the end i installed OPL and tried to play a game on usb stick out of curiosity and yes, it was terrible. I knew about the loading times and cutscenes but it ended up having problems (like loading parts of areas in-game).

HDD or SMB? what do you guys suggest?

Shit taste fam.

HDD, the network adapter and drives are cheap as fuck and easy to get, and Fats are also common and cheap.

You have a slim, go SMB.
The FAT+HDD is gonna cost you around 100 bucks for little difference in actual compatibility but no stuttering in FMVs and obviously you won't get the HDD loadtimes either.

Now it works. The solution? it was just the cd and it doesn't make sense.
In the end i tried with a different dvd out of desperation and it fucking worked, and i'm fucking mad since the first one didn't have a problem in the past and i was able to play it (i still have the savefile on the memory card). This entire thing doesn't make any sense, but i'm glad it's over.

CRY HARDER BITCH

No it's not.

Yes it is, for the most part (GSdx has a few HLE shader replacement for some effects that are too slow to emulate properly, the rest is LLE though (wouldn't use the BIOS otherwise and it wouldn't make sense to HLE everything but the BIOS), LLE doesn't necessarily mean very accurate.

There are certain slim ps2's that cannot boot free mcboot automatically, you have to manually boot it through ulaunchelf or other methods. Also I'd recommend not using esr and using openps2loader instead. You can connect your ps2 to your network, share the folder on your computer that you keep your ps2 isos in. All you have to do is drop any iso in that folder, load up openps2loader and the game should be right there for you to play it. Also since you are playing through the network directly from the iso you don't get any slowdown, stuttering or games not simply launching issues you get with esr. When I had it I tried multiple games and all of them worked flawlessly.

But user, ESR has a much higher comatability rating than OPL's SMB & HDD methods combined. If those two ways don't work, then your best bet is ESR. or figuring out how to make a pressed dics like those guys that made swap magic did

That looks really good. I have a WD MyBook with 4tb where i store everything, i'll try with that. Otherwise i have another smaller hd lying around. I use it just for my wii.

Here's another question: I know the best option would be using a crt but i have to use a lcd. What would be the best set up? is it worth buying hdmi/component cables or the difference is so little that i shouldn't bother with it?

Composite wil look like JPEG hell on an lcd

Not so much; just looks like TV without scanlines from ye olde tymes of yon nyne and ten eighties.

If you can't get a crt I'd get a wiiu and hack that since it will look better, the wii2HDMI stuff uses shitty composite signals and upscales them. Component is the best most likely the best bet unless you live in a PAL region in witch case you can use RGB/SCART. It may or may not look better on your display but it will most likely look the same.