Etrian Odyssey

There was a thread up for a couple days and I completely forgot to stop in and ask:

Which is the best one on the 3ds? I've heard the 3ds games are when the quality started to become questionable.

Other urls found in this thread:

totomono.jp/term3d/media/paper_crafting/dwarf.pdf
emuparadise.me/PSP_ISOs/Ken_to_Mahou_to_Gakuen_Mono_3_(Japan)/158380-download
mega.nz/#!8gEXCL4J!2R5YHPYeLFIySKQukt1MtiBIPeH4NXpfHEtWNebhjAE
mega.nz/#!V9sQzKDZ!-YAiT56w64d4nv3Iyq7yA5smMvSyMDkMSpNdwxwrzFU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

IIRC- I was recommended the one that was the remake of the first game. Untold something-or-other (the second one on 3DS).

But I was also recommended 4 in the same post (the first one on 3DS).

EO4 is fucking great, it's Untold 2 people hate because it is loaded up with DLC and poorly balanced around story mode's incredibly OP main character class.

and right off the bat, conflicting opinions, though it seems 4 is a safe bet.

wait, what are the chances EOV will get localized?

Our opinions aren't in conflict. He's talking about Untold 1, which is perfectly serviceable. I'm talking about Untold 2.

Slim but hopeful.

4 is very good, but a little more different than the others. Instead of one long dungeon, its split up into a few big dungeons and a bunch of small dungeons. Personally i liked the one big dungeon myself, but EO4 is mechanically sound, so you cant go wrong with it.

ah, gotcha, I thought they were the same.

I'm leaning more towards 4 now, but I may wait a couple more months and see if 5's localization gets announced. I've played a bit of 3 and really like it so I figure I'd pick up the better one on the 3ds before it gets rare and scalped.

Nah, the untold series is remakes of the the DS games for the 3DS. Thus far they've done the first two, each which adds a story mode with preset party and conventional JRPG style story and party dynamics, and an OC do not steal original class and brings one class forward from the next game in the chronology. EOU1 adds the Highlander, a spear fighter who can sac his HP or his allies for massive sweep attacks and EO2's Gunner class, which is granted a skill that lets it act twice, which can be given to any character due to the way skill customization through equipable stones (grimoires) works. EOU2 adds the ludicrously broken fafnir class, which transforms and does explosively high amounts of elemental damage and brings for EO3's princess class as well as fuckloads of DLC. EOV hasn't been released in the west yet but doesn't have DLC out the ass due to how poorly EOU2 went over.

cool, then fingers crossed it gets over with a decent localization and if not I'll just pick up the first Untold and IV.

Thanks for the info.

also, seeing as there was just a long EO thread and the purpose of this one has been served I'm gonna delete it here in a couple minutes so it isn't taking up space.

Nigger are you serious? Leave it. Half the threads today are fucking retarded.

that's fine, I just didn't know if I was pushing it making it right after the last one 404'd, I suppose the posts would be good for other people looking to get into the series as well.

Never delete a thread like this unless it went completely off topic. These threads are good for discussing the game, and we dont really get EO threads too often.

When's EO5 translation

EO3 BEST GAME

For starters- I really like RPGs, but I wasn't sure on drawing my own maps in EO4's demo. Felt like busy-work That, and I ran into the boulder pig like a dumb ass. Does it get better?

Also, story, custom characters, or is the game's replay value strong enough to do both?

The FOEs get really cool late game, and you have to draw their paths and how to get around. Personally i like the drawing aspect, but ive been doing that with graph paper for a long time. Some FOEs only chase you if you go in a certain range, some follow a certain path, some bounce between tiles, and its really fun to observe them, and make a safe path around them.

sorry for the double post
Avoid story mode in EOU1. One of the main features of EO is the ability to make your own party, and story mode removes that. EO games have really good replay values too, since there are alot og different parties you can use. I think its even possible to solo the game with a fighter.

EO4 and Untold 1 (Classic mode, stay the FUCK away from Story mode) are gud.
Untold 2 is dogshit, don't even pirate it, just get the original EO2.

I generally recommend people play in release order, but sub out EO1 for Untold 1. It's a bit rough going from U1 to EO2 because of the quality of life changes, but it's not that bad.

EO4 is the localized 3DS game, EO5 is the best overall 3DS game

The localization gonna be announced at E3, Atlus has a huge floor space and EO games almost always get announced the same way; releases in japan and you get months of radio silence in the west. Then it randomly gets announced.

Any of the main numbered titles are fine. 4 is the best one you can get on 3DS BUT the localized version has some minor bugs that may or may not break some character builds. Untold 1 is also fine. Untold 2 a shit because DLC and fucked up balance.

It wasn't hard but goddamn was it boring, even with the reduced enemy encounters just walking back and forth dragged man

Chronological order is the correct way to play these games, optionally subbing in EOU for EO is you so desire.

Still waiting on EO5 announcement and details. If they remove the seiyuu there will be hell to pay.

They'll leave them in the same way they did for Seventh Dragon VFD. Not worth the effort of changing.

Well as atlas PR keeps saying "we have no plans" I'm willing to bet you better learn niponese

AKA
"WHY DIDNT YOU BUY THE DLC, GOY?"

Actually the best part is, the DLC riddled mess that was EOU2 sold massively better in the states than japan, it's really just them being lazy shits and not wanting to deal with the voices

I still don't see the voices as a big issue, as Sega brought over Code VFD with the same amount of voices with no problem, and that's an even nicher title than EO.

yeah, but this is atlas "we have to have an english vocal track or WE WILL DIE" we're talking about.

Where and when was that said?

I find it hard to believe they won't localize an Etrian Odyssey game. The text is limited and mostly utilitarian in nature (menus, skills, places), and the fan base doesn't seem like the kind to insist on local dubbing. Plus they've brought over every single other EO title. They may be delaying it for strategic purposes to avoid competition, but it's unfathomable to me that they'd just leave western revenue on the table for no apparent reason.

It's been almost a year since EO5 came out in japan, and there's been absolutely nothing. I have no idea if it was just P5 or what. But I'm willing to bet money that it's just due to them wanting english voice acting in order to justify more localization money getting pumped at them.

Can you get her on your team?

Yep. Those are the default class portraits for the Bushi (samurai) class. I'm not a fan of it mechanically but it has a lot of exploitable stuff.

My interest has been piqued. between this and class of heroes I'm happy

and just ordered my copy.

Might as well emulate the others while I wait.

You won't get her until the 3rd world map zone about halfway through, just warning.

That's fine. I like dungeon crawlers and have been interested in this series for a while. This just finally pushed me over the edge into getting one.

Fucking furfags get out of my EO

no

EOV is even furrier.

FEDA?

I SAID GET OUT FURFAGS

OUT OUT OUT

no

I'm not the design team, nigger. Go learn to yell that in chinkanese if you have problem.

Yep, I believe Shining Force has the same artist as well. Always loved that guys fantasy art.

Shining Force was great though- the one on the GBA was the bomb.

Speaking of GBA Shining games, Shining Soul II was really enjoyable. A delicious Diablo-like game with fun classes to play.

What do you EOfags think of pic related?

Best dungeons in the series, easiest battles. Best Persona since 2.

Clarification: puzzles and FOE interactivity wise, not aesthetically.

Basically persona 1 with persona 3 and 4 characters. My 3rd favorite persona game.

This man is absolutely correct

Music and boss fights are especially good.

The best boss fight possibly in the entire series except for nyx avatar is the preist guy in dungeon 2.

Shame Hitler isn't harder

I enjoyed the 14 heath bars and how forboding it is. It really felt like a final boss.

I was a bit dissapointed it wasn't more visually distinct each phase, but it was a suitably difficult mechanical test, one that balances the cutscene that is the final final boss. Slightly on topic, a very well done sequential final boss is WA3's one where you fight the entirety of evolutionary history.

That sounds fucking awesome. If i still had my ps2 memory card i would grab WA2.

WA3*

WA2 is also incredibly fucking good, but is for the PS2.

PS1. Fuck I am a nigger.

since this is sort of branching out to other japanese dungeon crawlers, are there any good character building guides for Class of Heroes 2?

You got a link to that papercraft?

scratch that, here ya go
totomono.jp/term3d/media/paper_crafting/dwarf.pdf

EO5 soon? Dare I even hope?

I've only played EO4 so far, I hear mixed things on the Untolds. what's worth a shit and what's not?

Untold 1 is okay, Untold 2 is garbage, and Atlas has said "no plans" for EOV in the west

Fuck.
When did they say that??

some people emailed them and that was the response they got. I used to have one saved

also should I play untold 1 story mode or the classic mode?

Do you want an EO game or a generic JRPG?
Classic is how all of them were, and Story makes it into a generic JRPG with a preset party

Story is worse than a generic jrpg because it has a fucking Leaf.

Not only that, but her mere existence ruins the only plot-twist this narrative-light series has. Fucking story mode is dildo-deluxe.

Usually they have to give responses like that when something hasn't been officially announced.

In the case of this though, I'm willing to bet it's the case. I really doubt P5 was putting that much pressure on the localization team that the entire Atlas USA branch was doing nothing but persona.

Maybe, like others have said I'd wait till after E3 to call it quits on the hope.

Is 3DS emulation a thing yet? Asking for a friend.

Honestly I like the Mystery Doungen spin off but I really wished they kept the same old soundtrack and those monsters that come from nowhere are like OP as fuck and its kinda all over the place like I lost half of my good weapons when my team dies but they level up so fast? Its unbalanced, but so far I enjoy it. Wish there was a 2nd fleshed out game of this series.

I'm that friend. Need answers.

Just get a 2ds

A 2nd game is coming.

This may be heresy, but is Persona Q's dub "good enough"? I've already installed the regular version and its DLC.

Yeah it's fine. Still has the shitty Chie though.

Definitely like it more than 4. 3 Is probably the most fun I've had playing an RPG ever.

Speaking of, is the ISO for CoH 3 uploaded anywhere?

emuparadise.me/PSP_ISOs/Ken_to_Mahou_to_Gakuen_Mono_3_(Japan)/158380-download

dunno how well it works yet.

It has burch as rei, but it isnt awful voice acting, not as bad as burch as rise.

I've been following the conversation and was about to buy a copy but man is that putting me off. I'm guessing there's no option for the japanese dub?

There's an undub for when you pirate it like an actual human being, only subhumans buy games with dlc and burches.

Lol, no. Here's the undub for when you join the CFW master race, courtesy of 3dsiso:

Game
mega.nz/#!8gEXCL4J!2R5YHPYeLFIySKQukt1MtiBIPeH4NXpfHEtWNebhjAE
DLC
mega.nz/#!V9sQzKDZ!-YAiT56w64d4nv3Iyq7yA5smMvSyMDkMSpNdwxwrzFU

You can buy a copy and keep it in the box if you want.

also nice digits

pretty sure my 3ds is updated past the point of being able to do that. Also, I didn't know there was DLC. Perhaps I'll just keep that one on the back burner till 3ds emulation is a thing. Thanks for the links though.

This is the worst possible option.