Cartoony Games

They pop, stretch, slap, scream and squeal. Give me good games with zany saturday morning high-energy vibes, bonus points for feeling like a 40's-60's Jazz/Disco fever dream.

I wish we had way more vibrant, colorful, western-like games in this stagnating shithole of an industry, not even actual cartoons are cartoony anymore. What the hell happened? I NEED this. It's like a drug.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

I'm on a whole lotta crack/

I understand. Have a good time, friendo.

Thank you m8ey

Is this you?

Tempo for the 32x and the sequel for saturn

Amazing music for both of them.

Holy fuck, Cuphead was a disappointment.
Tfw I was the only one retarded enough here to get an xbone and manage to get into the beta testing program

There's ToonStruck, a point and click starring Christopher Lloyd.

Not exactly of the Saturday morning variety, but it fits the cartoon category. One of these days I'll restart it. I hit a damn wall where regular enemies were beating the ever loving fuck out of me. I guess I was drastically under levelled, or maybe they scale in brackets and I was at the lower end or something. Don't know what exactly happened, but it was a main quest area and every encounter was significantly harder than the 4 or 5 bosses I had faced and I didn't feel like grinding.

try out the answer sony/treasure had for super smash brothers 64. it's also better than smash

Why is it bad? I've been looking forward to it.

They are literally incapable of game design and essentially everything is a boss that expects you to have an idea of all the mechanics in the game.
The last beta patch they put out for a "Level" was just a stage with two bosses in it and a light walk inbetween them.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Frankly, I'm not surprised since the leading designer is a black man but nonetheless–

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So the reason you don't like it is because it's a boss rush and there's no tutorial? Sounds fine to me.

(checked)

I thought it was supposed to be a boss rush to begin with.
Which is why I stopped being interested in the first place.

Okay
Imagine metal slug right?
Take literally ALL of the level besides the boss out of it
Give yourself infinite lives
And you CANNOT lose anything if you die, score, items, nothing.
It's fucking boring.

You still have a point, but if you're bad at something, just avoid it and hope no one notices it

Sounds fine to me, never play a Cave shmup or you'll die.

boss rush games are bad, boss rush game play mdoes are fine. level design is a vital way at introducing mechanics and bosses are the ultimate way of testing them.

I guess not liking that aspect of it is understandable but it isn't enough for me to write it off. If the boss fights are well designed and fun to play they'll stand on their own.

This, DK: Tropickle Cheese mastered this.

the bosses in tropical freeze were kinda lame a lot of the times. I liked the owl at least. but level design is some of the most fulfilling content and some of the stages in the game (embed related) are a master level thesis in level design and how mechanics are best embraced.

It's not a shmup you dickhead, it's a metal slug clone, a run and gun.

Hire Retro to take over Cuphead.

tropical freeze and returns were better than their entire metroid prime trilogy

So is Punch Out trash?

Tropical Freeze is the best side-scrolling platformer I've ever played.

Also Career mode happens before the elimination boss rush mode you fucking faggot.

punch out uses rounds as levels and naturally teaches you techniques that become more and more valuable over time and works on a very basic level that makes it enjoyable. It also has solid mechanics like interrupting. It makes use of the same level design theories as a traditional game would.

I never said that it was.

Returns was fucking worthless garbage, the original DKC trilogy shits all over it. I'd like to play Dong Freeze but I'm not retarded enough to buy a Wii U. Although I may consider buying one used for $200 and hacking it. Switch is about to be another big disappointment, and Nintendo is actually retarded enough to not port all of their good Wii U games over. I hope Wii U emulation comes around soon.

Jokes on you, I never played Metroid, but how can you even compare genres that are wildly different?

The platforming is MEGA MAN X levels of god-tier, but it will never have the unforgettable charm that rare originally gave it. At least not without WinkySteve.

You're a faggot for making a direct comparison regardless, and you're a fucking faggot because CAVE shmups, DO have levels leading up to the bosses.

I'm comparing them anyway and judging them holistically, tropical freeze is better and more enjoyable as a game

It's already here, user. If you have a good PC then don't worry about buying a Wii U, the OS is slow, unresponsive and at times and feels like it's built out of twigs. It's the piss poor hardware, at least, the processor.

That's a fucking weird comparison.
That's like comparing Tembo the Badass Elephant with Pokemon.

you could do it on a technical level, how it manages to deliver its mechanics through its level design and game play scenarios, the directing, etc.

it's very possible, it's not the best way to do it, but for example there are a lot of useful things developers of say, a beat 'em up game might learn from doom or quake

The levels on Cave shmups are just filler, so much that one of their games got a boss rush edition on the DS. Stop being so angry at words in your computer.

Except the levels in the stages demonstrate mechanics in a less tense environment in order to familiarize a player with the nature of the game and the mechanics there within, and you're a fag for pretending like it's good game design to have a game that is literally just bosses in a game engine when someone who has literally spent more than 1 hour with a simple game development kit can tell you why it's a shitty idea to make something that is literally only boss fights.

The GBA FE games were pretty cartoony.

Tell me why you think this

Because a boss fight is not only a testament to the skills honed by the player by playing the game it is also the total sum of the mechanics put into the game by the developer and their usage of them into a coherent complex challenge that demands an intimate knowledge of their own game engine, in addition to typical entity interaction.
Making only bosses for a game engine is a literal statement of I am too lazy to actually work on this project and will instead opt to take this functional engine and apply the only base level knowledge of what I have programmed so far and just make a few very "strong" enemies. It is a distinct lack of discipline and respect for your craft and is essentially the application of the Dobson philosophy of art to game design that you are in fact good enough and the rest will just come naturally and you do not need to actually practice your skills to make a more impressive craft.

Or perhaps they just really like boss battles.

Shadow of the Colossus is pretty much only boss fights, with some exploring on the way to them. It's kind of in a category all its own though, as they're kind of moving puzzles disguised as bosses.

shadow of the colossus is half boss fights. you underestimate how much time you spend actually reaching the colossi.

LOL

You can really like boss battles and still make a good game.
See Daisuke Amaya.
Look at all the shit he put out for Kero Blaster.
HE PUT IN TWO WHOLE CAMPAIGNS TO GO THROUGH BEFORE YOU PLAY THROUGH THE BOSS RUSH
AND APPARENTLY
THEY'RE PUTTING IN A FOURTH CAMPAIGN WITH IT'S OWN BOSS RUSH.

What the hell is that?

They made another NERF vidya?

It's $10 new, is what it is.

Where is that quote from?

I loved the shit out of SNES Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse, great music