Can late 90s/early 00's games be considered retro now?

Can late 90s/early 00's games be considered retro now?

Also since modern games are shit, recommend me some good games that can run on a toaster.

NO

I can't, Holla Forums. I fucking can't!

the PS2 is 17 years old.

Did you not consider Street Fighter II or Super Mario Bros. 3 retro in 2007?

You can even try early 2010s at this point

I don't need these feelings of desperation and misery.

I've never even played this piece of shit
Does "Open World = Instantly Good?"

I still don't know why so many casuals hated the game. I thought it was a pretty worthy successor to Stadium.

I doubt GameFreak is going to make another dedicated Pokemon Battle Sim (Stadium, Stadium 2 and PBR all sold around 5 million copies which is considered horrible by Pokemons standards) But if they ever do again it would be nice to have a sort of freeroam where you can just walk around PokeTopia and play mini-games just to give it more substance beyond being just a battle sim (without it being just another RPG I mean) Also VR actually sounds like it would be kind of neat

It would be even better to have it as a "Battle Frontier" type post-game for the third game, if they ever bother will that.
Who am I kidding though, they'll separate them to make extra shekels. VR Sounds Badass

Anything before 2004 is retro for me nowadays.

Oh shit forgot Dolphin has a VR branch but it looks like its still wonky as fuck.

PBR starts at 2:55 right after Metroid Prime 3

Some collectors do go be de facto definitions
at least 20 to 50 years old is retro
at least 50 to 100 years old is vintage
and 100+ years old is antique

The steam awards were proof that absolute retards are the main demographics playing video games nowadays.

this made me so fucking angry

I don't even think Deus Ex was on the fucking list of nominees

STOP

I'm only 25, I'm too young for this shit

That's kinda stretching it already

Consider that in that game list though, the oldest game is TF2 which was 9 years old at the time of the awards. AoE2 is older yes, but that specific version was only 3 years old. The rest of the games were ~5 years old.

I think the definition here isn't "What game can you still play two decades later and still enjoy as much as when it came out" but rather "What game have you played that you haven't thrown in a pile or sold to FUCKING GAMESTOP for whatever new $60 bullshit release" which is why Skyrim won. It's old enough to be looked at as retro when the modern gamer ends up trading in their games when they're finished with them only to get the next title rather than keep them around and play them for years after they've died.

I would think that at least 60% of the active posters have reached maturity.

This disgusts me greatly
I have friends that are younger than me whose first console was a PS1 and I'm barely qualified to drink in the US.

You stopped developing, user.

Halo is missing.

??? Next you'll claim anyone born in the 90s is a child.

Nah nigga, you got old.

1998 to 2001 was the golden age of gaming.

xD

Fucking stop.

Fuck you.

It's 1995 - 2007 actually.

Yeah, that decade or thereabout should cover most of the good releases.

How about you kill yourself nigger

Oh yeah those games are hard and obtuse.

My first console was literally an NES. I was about ten-years-old when I got it.

And I am currently closer to fifty-years-old than I am to ten-years-old.

the first half of the 2000s will never be topped.

No, it's 1985-2007. Every year before or after this period only had 2 or 3 good games, at most, made during it.

Although the early 2000's were aesthetically great, a lot of bad shit in videogames took effect in 2004-2005

I feel as though "retro" will always refer to 16-bit and before, and if it doesn't there will probably be another word for them to come up. Kinda like how cars must be pre-WWII in order to be considered vintage.

I can guarantee you at least 60% of the people who voted Skyrim for that award did it as a joke.

The reason I don't count, say, Xbox as "retro" is because it's essentially the same thing we have now, just less shiny. The paradigms that were established then are still here and still the same.

i think anything with pixel graphics will always get hit with the "retro" label no matter how much time passes. probably due to the fact a game with good pixel graphics can withstand the test of time but what was considered top of the line visuals during the 90s/00s will show much more visual age so normalfags won't like it as much

So pic related is the only non-retro video game?

Why the fuck are you wasting your time here

Late 90s yes, early 00s not yet unless you mean specifically 2000. I'd say the cut-off is the end of 5th generation.

Nigger that golden age would be almost a third of the total time vidya has been around.

Not him but we were missing at least two entire fucking genres until 90s, that's pretty. I mean maybe you could have different golden ages (one for arcade games, one for home consoles, one for PC etc) to cover that.

Dreamcast is the most recent thing IMO that can still be considered retro.

Wii is retro

I think you underestimate how casualized our hobby has become

Not him, but I live a single hick's life. Not into hunting or tinkering with shit, not especially social either, so what is there as a better alternative?

You could try getting saved.

I think you underestimate how much the steam community loves memes.