Why there's not a lot of 3D roguelikes?

Why there's not a lot of 3D roguelikes?

Probably because they tend to be pretty bad. Can you show me one that isn't?

I know there's minecraft, but autists will complain is not a roguelike.

Because it isn't

Because they are called diablo clones.

Only Diablo 1 is a Roguelike. The other games you're talking about are hack n' slash / ARPGs

If serious, japan has lots of fugushi no dungeon types of games, and they tend to be the closest thing for 3d roguelikes. Like Shiren the wanderer for wii or Nightmare of Druaga for ps2.

Din's curse i posted is very much like diablo 1 compared to other games.

Dead genre, good 3D is expensive (and good low poly 3D requires an extremely talented artist), meanwhile any asshole with zero artistic talent can churn out bottom-tier pixel art, especially with lazy shit like 3 frame animations.

It's not as hip as the retro 2D indie style versions, grandpa.

Don't forget about that state-of-the-art procedural dungeon generation.

Ziggurat is kinda like a rougelike.

ASCII art looks like shit in 3D.

You blew your load too early. Learn some tact.

What differs roguelikes from common RPG's? There are quite a lot of procedurally generated RPG's out there. Even Fallout 4 has random enemy and item spawns everytime you re-enter a dungeon.

check the berlin definition:
permadeath, procedurally generated dungeons, random items, weapons, focus on deep gameplay with chain of reactions, tile based, turn based.

This is the worst part of roguelike, agree with it.

oh what a meme

Elona sequel has partial 3d graphics.

Ziggurat is pretty fun

Because that needs depth and modern developers have no fucking idea what depth is.

Your life is a meme

Level generation. If there's one thing games like Ziggurat, Strafe, Desync, Tower of Guns, Warframe and Heavy Bullets have it's that they are very lacking in the levels department.

It's usually because making 2D pixelshit and drawn sprite work can be done by anyone with a tablet and patience, whereas making 3D models and premade rooms requires knowledge on modeling, and is way easier to fuck up.

you just answered your own question

Why not just call rogue clones "rogue clones"?

A roguelike should definitely have more than just "procedural generation", though.

Roguelikes are games that are like Rogue. They aren't called Rogueclones because very few of them are clones of Rogue. Games that are not like Rogue are not Rogue-likes, they can be called literally anything else.

You've reminded me that Risk of Rain 2 was announced and will be 3D. Feeling mild hype.

More of a Roguelite than Roguelike, but still.

ASCII graphics would look silly in 3D.

Time spent on graphics is taken away from all the fine details that define most roguelikes.

You can call modern indieshit roguelites if you really want but you shouldn't make a genre out of design decisions (i.e. permadeath and procedural generation). This is the exact same stupidity as using 'open world' as a genre when it's simply a design decision.

Well since all genre names are shit it doesn't matter anyways.

What if you just had talented graphic artists work on the graphics entirely separate from the team making the mechanics and details? Then there wouldn't really be any time "wasted".

Fair enough.

Pssst
Soulsvania

this is the worst thread on Holla Forums right now.
you called minecraft a fucking rogue-like in the very second post and people still actually replied to it.
…and their posts are almost as cancerous as yours.

fucking kill me.

ROGUE-LIKES are called as such because they are influenced heavily by the pioneer of the genre, a game called fucking Rogue. if it does not look like and play like Rogue, then it is not a fucking rogue-like.

>>>/reddit/
>>>/suicide/
>>>/oven/

What are you going to do, put the ASCII characters in a volumetric display

Add verticality. Like flying enemies and jumping. Somehow.