Never played Alan Wake

Never played Alan Wake.

Is it good? Because it's getting caned in the name of music license.

Other urls found in this thread:

alanwake.wikia.com/wiki/Cultural_References_in_Alan_Wake
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's like watching steven king write a novel he is living through, but not one of his really good ones.

Tries really hard to be a movie.

It was good to finally prove to retarded fanboys how overrated Remedy is.

It's decent. Worth atleast one play-through.
You can just pirate the gog version easily if you don't feel like paying for something you'd only play once

Pretty much this, worth it if you're into Stephen King, just expect a really milquetoast malevolent entity and a shitload of pondering about the nature of creativity.

Why is this a thing?

you already know the answer

I assume the music being licensed is Poets of the Fall's, but it's strange the contract would only be temporary, given how central the music is to the game's plot.

Correct. It's about as much of a game as Uncharted or TLOU. Still a decent experience if and only if you play on Nightmare, which is the only difficulty where you aren't given several times more ammo than you need to deal with enemies, and booking it fleeing is often the best option.

You disappoint me.

Fuck, that's sad.

Twin peaks is deadly premonition m8. Alan Wake is set in maine, about a writer, features alcoholism and ill-defined eldritch malevolent forces. What it doesn't feature is a focus on small town life and comfy but odd day-to-day meandering. It's Stephen King.

Its got very miserably boring game play.

wow just wow. I don't care about the game but it getting removed from stores because of music licences is fucking bullshit

alanwake.wikia.com/wiki/Cultural_References_in_Alan_Wake

Already happened to Scott Pilgrim and to Outrun 2006 because of car licences.

Thanks, humble bundle.

i thought i had heroes in my world

Was scott pilgrim a good beat em up?

It's ok, I think you can emulate the x360 version by now.

I'll pass if it's just okay. Besides this pc can barely emulate some PS1 games.

It's pretty alright. The atmosphere is one of the best I've seen, even if it is repetitive. Gameplay is a flat 7/10, as it's essentially a movie-game.

Definitely worth a playthrough once, but I don't see myself replaying this in the future.

It has some cute female sprites from what I remember. If anybody's gottem postem.

It's a more linear Resident Evil 4 with the atmosphere and story of Silent Hill, made by the Max Payne devs. Nothing super interesting, but a good game nonetheless. Definitely worth it at $3.
I havent played it in a while had it on 360, so cant recall what kind of side content there is. Pretty sure there was a harder difficulty, and all the pages of the book to collect

They could always do like Daria and bring it back with changed music. Though, that would be a horrible mess, just like Daria with the changed music. That's why it's best to just make your own music instead of relying on licensing it because licenses expire.

Than why are MP1 and 2 still on steam?

I doubt it's Poets of the Fall. The announcement says American Nightmare will still be available and that had their music. It's more likely to be one of these artists

At least two of those artists are dead.

I bet it is Goy Orbison, Depeche Chode, or the remaining lawyer army of the Bowie family trying to wring the last few cents out of a corpse.

You're a cock user, and that still doesn't make it Twin Peaks the game. It has a few references to Twin Peaks but it's clearly far more influenced by Stephen King.
-t. Twin Peaks fan

Re-read the post chain, fam. You're backing the wrong horse.

The game had a ton of licensed songs beyond just those too, I recall it having "Put the Lime in the Coconut" and a few others.

No, I'm not. You're saying Alan Wake is mainly a Twin Peaks game and you're horribly wrong. It's a Stephen King game with a few small Twin Peaks references. Jesus you're fucking sure of yourself and not listening to anyone.

Plus a lot of stupid design ideas like always announcing boss fights by having tons of health and ammo right before.

It's basically a B-game with a B-movie story.

Where did I post this? Again, you're backing the wrong horse and I think you got lost in the conversation and inferred things that were never said.

Quit saying this shit you smug faggot. Quit trying to tell me that I'm confused when I've told you I am not. I've read your whole 4 fucking posts, faggot, I know exactly what they are and all of them are pants on head retarded. It's not like the debate was some grand confusing string of comments, you've said four fucking things faggot and they've all been retarded shit.

You didn't answer my question, and I'm absolutely feeling smug right now when you knee-jerk sperged out and appear to be getting angrier by the second. Re-read and then answer the question, fam.

You're damn right I'm getting angry when you dismiss everything I'm saying and ignore it by TELLING ME that I don't know what I'm talking about and that I got "lost" in a conversation with FOUR FUCKING COMMENTS. God damn right I'm mad, you're acting like a fucking jackass. You don't even deserve further (yous). Consider suicide faggot, no one likes you.

You still didn't answer the question.

F
Cant they just use something else?

Oh, I hate this. Games don't deserve this kind of end. If it sucks, it deserves to be at least held in a place where its shame can be viewed, analyzed and mocked. And obviously, if it's anything else, pulling it just hurts fans. Digital and online only games are just the worst with this junk.

At least it still has physical copies, but it's something people need to fucking watch out for.

FIFY

It would depend on what song is pulling it down but really I don't think they care enough/won't be allowed time to do it what with Microsoft being involved
I just want a proper fucking sequel. Alan Wake is one of my favorite "fuck you I like it" games

Possibly, but I imagine they decided that it was more profitable to send the game out with a bang via a massive sale and leave it as-is, than pay someone to compromise the original work via a patch (and piss off all current owners in the process).

I agree that it sucks, but that's just a cost of doing business when you're dealing with (((record labels))). Anyway, it's not like your Steam copy is getting deleted, and anyone who didn't buy it after the sale is over, and wants to play it anyway, can head on over TPB or their preferred tracker and grab it just as easily as before.

Might be one of the better narrative shooters I've played. Solid tribute to Twin Peaks and Stephen King. Gameplay is mediocre, but gets the job done.

It was pretty fun. The protagonist is a weak old guy who smokes and can't run for shit. The enemies can be overpowering if you try and yolo that shit.

ITS ALWAYS BECAUSE OF JEWISH MEDDLING
I DONT EVEN CARE FOR THE GAME BUT THIS PRECEDENT MAKES ME UPSET

Better it live on through piracy instead of being gutted like Rockstar does with GTA soundtracks.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see more of this happening, as the music industry is in shambles with licensing fees probably getting jacked up as a revenue source.

The goddamn camera pisses me off. Check the pics, see the difference? Max Payne is centered and zoomed out enough so you get where he is in relation to the environments. Alan Wake is off-center and zoomed in, so it feels clumsy to control.

They're both pretty good. Gameplay is only serviceable but they have some great atmosphere, characters, writing, etc.

I actually don't mind the OTS camera for AW, but I can see why it would bother some people. That said, I don't think the MP camera would be an improvement, since the primary reason the camera is zoomed out like that in MP is because it's very important for you to know where your entire body is at all times to effectively dodge bullets, which isn't a thing in AW, and I think it would feel awkward.

Wait but I still have a retail version with the steam key unactivated
Does it mean I can trash it now?

What about the GOG version?

Couldn't stand the first one. Boring gameplay and a story that constantly references Stephen King in order to boost itself.

Alan Wake is 15 hours of running through barns and woods, the repetition gets tiresome after a while. Fights in particular are a chore and feel precisely identical.

Remember that time when Alan Wake was supposed to be a pc exclusive and a game so far ahead of everything created up until that point that it would make the games of past look like horse carriages to cars?
Dynamic changing weather, day and night cycles, gigantic open world to explore with no loading times, live city with people in it.
Remember how it then it became a console exclusive?
Good times.

I liked it. Really did feel like being dropped into a Stephen King miniseries.

It was a much better attempt at capturing the feel of a miniseries whereas Quantum Break was a train wreck that went too far in the wrong direction.

Was boring and felt like a chore. Below average for me, althoguh I wouldn't call it complete shit.

Wasn't it supposed to be more like Deadly Premonition. Like it would have been great. Microsoft ruins everything they touch.

Thinking about alan wake makes me want to fly into a murderous rage, I fucking hate that game.

Who the hell agrees to a temporary license for a product that does not expire?!

Someone dealing with kikes. Probably was forced to either pay too much just to keep the license or a basic fee to have it for so many years.

Alan Wake sticks in my mind more than it should, considering ti was a slightyl above average game.

I liked how the guns were appropriate for the setting, and they sounded pretty good. The music was used well for some nice set pieces.
The game also looked great at the time, with the fog and the lighting effects.
Story was also passable because it didn't take itself too seriously, so it's just a shame that the gameplay was pretty standard.

And then American Nightmare came along and shat over everything that I liked about the original game.

I'd say it's definitely worth a buy at 90% off, but avoid American Nightmare like the plague.

Does American Nightmare at least shed some light (pun only partially intended) on the story? It's been years since I played Alan Wake and the DLC but I remember thinking at the end of it, "I don't know what the goddamned fuck is going on anymore."

It's shitty

As far as I can remember, the original went off the rails at the end, but ended ambigiously enough that it didn't matter.

American Nightmore continued from that removing the ambiguity and turning Alan into some kind of time/space travelling warrior fighting against himself. Or something.
What really pissed me off was that American Nightmare went all action, when the action was the most average point of the first game.

I've had Alan Wake for years, never finished it, I got to the part with the steam roller and quit last October or the October before, but this year I might just play through it again.

probably because you were too busy playing the pedophile game for pedophiles

ZACH

WE WIN

American nightmare is really good out side of the back tracking.

its most likely the song in American nightmare that keeps playing

Kasabian - Club Foot most likely

You made the right decision, Alan Wake is absolute shit.

Probably Bowie

I'd bet you 10$ it's the army of kike vultures that descended on his corpse

Why didn't they just replace the cars with non-Ferrari look-alikes?

It plays like a shitty River City Ransom. I didn't like it, but I fucking hate cartoony artstyles in video games.

May 16th license to pirate?

I hope it wasn't depeche mode. They're still cool right?

The first game is alright. The main failing is that they couldn't decide whether or not they wanted it to be a survival-horror game, so the forced combat is tedious as hell and the spooky parts aren't spooky at all.

The second game abandons all plot or atmosphere in favor of pure action. It does hugely improve the combat though.

Don't even bother with the DLC, it's garbage.

It has really good music and a twin peaks/ deadly premonition vibe but the combat gets a little repetitive and frustrating at times.

There are atleast some good setpieces

The intro missions were nice but got boring fast.

Wait, you can't sell a game any more if the music license to it expires? Does that mean DVD stores can't sell DVDs of old movies if the company doesn't continue the license to their music as well?

They shoulda made it free, like Interplay did with the Fallout games on GOG before Bethesda forced them to pull them.

It's good, but not great.

Technically yes, but its harder to impose that on physical stores than digital ones.

The older GTA games went through something similar a couple years ago but Rockstar just released a patch to remove the expired songs, I guess Remedy can't be bothered to do the same.

That's bullshit. Imagine paying for a game and then over time having the game get worse.

Its better than stopping to sell the game altogether, its not like there weren't mods to put the music back less than an hour later.

What is every MMORPG ever, Alex?

m8, thanks for mentioning it. Was just considering spending the 4 bucks on steam, and then I see your post mentioning it's also on gog.
Its on sale over there as well (and apparently I already own the first game for whatever reason)

Even better, the physical copies of the games still retained these songs anyway.