Autism Sim General

Sim City, OTTD, Terraria, Factorio, Banished, and all your autism needs. Post the fruits of your autism and creations here.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=766190099&searchtext=moveit
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=433567230&searchtext=road anarchy
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=650436109&searchtext=quay anarchy
bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/releases/LATEST/docs/html/get_started.html
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698395457
wiki.factorio.com/Replay_system
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

When will this fucking stop.

Same time that
stops, I'd imagine.

So, never?

To the average "gamer", it very much is.

it's not just knowledge and patience. Any normalfag can make a functional city in say SimCity, but it takes real autism to min/max it.

post comfy

FIRS is autism fuel.

The "average gamer" is a soccer mom who plays bejeweled in her spare time.

I remember making a world without anything but a small town and pretend i was colonizing it so i had to make everything and keep the population growing, comfy times.

Noice. I'm about to retool my base into something different but I was thinking of leaving it as is and going all the way out to some new spot to rebuild but I think that might be a bit too much effort compared to tearing everything down and starting again.

We're not using the term in a literal sense you know.
Actual autists are shit at this kind of games as they are at tasks such as programming because they are completely disoriented and unorganized due to lack of proper connection between the hemispheres of the brain and single-track thinking.

Here's the results of my Factorio autism from the past week or so. Need to set up another iron dropoff/smeltery, apparently 80 furnaces isn't enough to supply my base even though steel has dedicated iron smelters.

I was struggling for quite a long time with getting more iron because of the catch 22 situation it has. In order to get iron I need to expand, in order to expand I need weapons to kill aliens, in order to get weapons I need military science, in order to get military science I need tons of iron. Also ran out of oil and the only good option was pretty far to the north west, so I had a similar problem with that.

I like to play with a lot of enemies since they're so easy to purge anyway, although the new science made it a bit tricky.

Started today, this i what i have so far. If i could supply enough iron and copper i would produce 2 science packs per second, but even with all these fucking smelters it's impossible to saturate a single red belt.

Do the Patrician games count as autism games?
Lord Mayor is for chumps.

Is there anyway to fix that instead of training yourself.

I was just about to search something /cbg/ alike
but where is

just had a confygasm

I made a 4-bit adder in Terraria but didn't save the world. It was messy as fuck anyway.

Children of the Nile

I haven't played Banished but I'll bet that once you get a supply chain rolling the game's over and it's not fun. Same goes for those type of games.

Nigger, please.

By endgame I was producing laser turrets and walls by the thousands, and had blueprints and lots of robots, so plopping down endless lines of perimeter walls was a cake walk. I got tired of expanding outposts one at a time and going through the whole song and dance of putting walls around them, so I just started murdering biters by the hundreds and playing connect-the-dots with the lakes.

My next factory is going to be a lot more challenging, because I'm going for the only-use-gun-turrets achievement, but also no logistics bots. It will be interesting to set up massive walls but also keep them supplied with ammunition; I've never done that before. Behemoth biters getting nerfed in 0.15 (and the addition of depleted uranium bullets!) should help this a bit.

There isn't one for Skylines. Some guy posted some screens in the SimCity thread, but we chased him out. Feel free to make your own thread for Skylines, but I don't expect it to have much traffic.

don't come up with lies….

I like dams, but damn I'm pratically having to redo the whole map so it make hydraulic sense

the problem is though,
I spend so much time just fixing up the map it self, barely feel like building the city

Unless it changed it in the patch, you're still allowed to use flame turrets. Guns backed by a few flamethrowers kill shit so fast you wont actually need repair bots before behemoths start showing up in large numbers, and even then it's only the occasional spitter that gets lucky enough to get a shot off before being roasted. The logistics are a little harder though.

The problem with Banished is that you need to keep expanding and getting bigger or else you'll suffer a population collapse. So you can't stagnate per se, but it does get repititive

Do the damns in Skylines do anything? Or are they only cosmetic? I like dams as well but my computer can't handle Cities Skylines to try it

Happens to me every time.

You need to constantly add houses and increase food production, only a growing population is viable in Banished.

Damn nigga that's tidy as fuck. I just can't into tidy factories.

The pain will only stop when you stop being autistic about memes

There is a water simulation. Each map has water spawn points (where water appears from nowhere if the water surface falls below a set level) and drain points for water (same in reverse), and it slowly flows between the two. The water is really thick and slow to move, taking minutes to do anything interesting, but you can flood your city if you do things wrong. You can sort of have waterfalls if you use the map editor, or at least rapids.

Dams do work, like building a wall through the water and blocking the flow. Water will pile up on the high side of the dam but slowly go through. The amount of power produced by dams is related to the difference in height of water on each side but can be a bit random.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=766190099&searchtext=moveit
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=433567230&searchtext=road anarchy
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=650436109&searchtext=quay anarchy

Still a lot of work to be done on my city.

That's pretty cool actually, it's a nice touch that dams aren't just a structure you place over a river that has a set amount of power generation but more like an actual dam that you have to worry about the logistics of

Oh yeah, protip, don't build a sewer outlet just before a dam or you can end up with a giant lake of poop. (polluted water is a different colour, and you can it see it stain the water flow)

building dams down stream is a good ol' beginners's mistake even the chinks irl made.

Here, a pooptastrophy.

What is FIRS?

Is there a similar game out there that lets me build a JRPG type of town?

If you didn't need new houses for people's kids to have kids this wouldn't be a problem. Although after you get big enough it stops being a problem as you will have some of your population constantly dying off so their children can replace them.

That's really cool, are sewer systems a thing you have to worry about as well? I saw in that youtube video they collected all that sewage, how is it dealt with normally?

I always find that you end up having a lot of houses with a lonely old man or woman occupying it for way too long and not allowing new families to be created, so you have to either keep adding houses and expanding your population or you'll end up with a lot of citizens who get to be 40 or 50 years old who never move out of their parents house and never get married or have kids, causing a population collapse

Yeah that's why you can't expand too fast or all your people will be around the same age. You need to spread out your expansion and not just do it when ever you can. That way you start to have generations instead of 200 elderly and their middle aged children.

Of course nomads help with this as well so you could use them to alleviate this problem until you get your generations all sorted out.

Only the water pumps / outlets seem to be part of the water simulation. Pipes you just draw onto the ground like roads, they don't do anything except keep buildings watered and cost maintenance money.

Normally you just place sewer outlets downstream or far away somewhere convenient, and eventually the brown water will flow off the side of the map. In the video they dug a big thin walled crater, put outlets on the side and probably used time acceleration to fill the thing up to the top.

Oh, another tip, don't pump drinking water from contaminated areas or everyone will get sick at the same time.

The cool thing about the water pumps is that if you have enough of them you can actually drain your water supply.

Yep. It's hard to do that accidentally though.

It's easier to dam a large fast river a bit too hard and end up with the water whooshing up out of the river and flooding the streets by accident. Water has a lot of inertia.

I like that, I always felt the sim city games were lacking in terms of water/wastewater infrastructure management. Maybe one day when I get a computer that can handle it I'll check out Cities Skylines.

Still when it comes down to it, you need to still expand or collapse. You can't realistically maintain a stable population

In 0.15 you can barrel all types of fluids. So do that, and keep them in chests. Saves a TON of space compared to those massive arrays of tanks.

There are 387.44 million simulated buildings that I have created since I started playing SimCity. If the word 'hate' was written in microtext on every pixel of those hundreds of millions of buildings, it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for modern city builders for doing pulling this shit.

FIRS > Industries+ > vanilla > YETI > ECS
fight me nigga

FIRS is a newGRF (mod) providing new industries and cargos for OpenTTD.Online docs for FIRS can be found at bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/releases/LATEST/docs/html/get_started.html

In short, instead of the regular "x needs y and z needs a and b" industrial chains, you get exponential dependancies and loop chains. It's the best thing if you're tired of the repetitive "acquire coal, get winrar" gameplay

How the fuck do people build such neat looking factories and not get ruined by aliens?

I either try and build everything spread out and end up getting more xenos then I can handle or its a compact clusterfuck of a mess that spits out barely enough science for 3 labs and can't scale. I've barely made it to 4/5 science packs, no idea how I'm going to fit the 5th one into my current factory.

I'm trying to do this without a guide but goddamn am I stupid

They nerfed aliens and buffed weapons it seems, last i played was in 0.12 and it was much harder. There are many strategies, a simple one is to get a machine gun and red ammo and just kill shit, it wrecks them pretty quickly. There's also grenades to get rid of multiple worms and packs. Or you could try a slow advance with turrets, basically
and repeat till the enemy base is destroyed, it's pretty safe as turrets should kill everything before they can damage you or your turrets.

Also try lowering pollution a bit in the options when creating a new game, i find it annoying after a while and it allows you to spread out more before you start getting attacked.

>>>/9gag/

Build a few turrets and walls with one square free space in front of them.
One factory producing regular ammo is enough for the whole game.
After that laser turrets and some repair bots.

t. 12.x and 15.9 player

Any particular reason for the empty square between walls and turrets?

Also why is the game 20$ on steam and 12$ on GOG, is there any difference? Is it just regional and showing up like that for me? I know it's not on discount, since it's been like that for quite some time, and the devs said something about it never getting a discount.

I'm not even sure if that was intentional.

just because

there is actually only one water spawn tool, it serves to spring water and also to drain it,
it works by setting and strength outflow (size of the marker) and then dragging its height (level at which water will settle)
if water levels go above the marker's height it will act as drainage
map makers use this extensively so they can get proper water levels without much fuss, this is how you get "ponds" with large supply of water but without flooding everything else
and where my autism triggers in most cases, if you try to get a "realistic" constant outflow of water, will almost always end up need very deep and wide rivers,

very nice indeed, already have all those mods, extremely useful

there is also a new mod that simulates rainfall and creates a need for drainage systems
seems reaaaaaallly cool but likely a huge mess for my autism to deal with

oh yeah, almost forgot, how do you end up doing those farms? they look scrumptious
I'm looking to do a asset mod in the near future, using assets from the game itself along with the RICO mod, making big farms with fields and whatnot, same for other industry

So, the game only lets you zone for a 4x4 farm building. Keeping that in mind I typically wall off a relatively large chunk with a nice farm fence. Then I zone one residential 4x4 and one or two industrial 4x4 off a small road. Then I fill in the rest of the area with nice farm props/decals. Screenshots of how I typically handle it. Hopefully they help. Also, bonus screen for an intersection I'm quite proud of (thanks to moveit)

Also, make sure your farm roads follow the terrain in a natural way. Don't plow through or over mountains, go around them. Same with forests

Have you played the new banished?

damn those are some pretty nice looking farms, having a house mixed in there was a really nice touch
I was hoping to accomplish that without going full autismo and having to prop everything manually

one of the hardest things btw, is finding really decent maps with real topography and water flow, eg reason I'm stuck fixing my map
this is the rainfall mod: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698395457

???

Most people go with a main bus system. This essentially means you run all your stuff down a series of belts in one direction, and build factories in the perpendicular direction next to it, splitting off the resources needed from the bus to each line. This limits the amount of room you need to expand at any time, but allows for infinite expansion in both directions.

Also, use the turret creep method everyone mentioned until you get a power suit and can simply outrun the biters. Then you can just do donuts around them while using whatever weapons you have (I prefer poison capsules until I get the combat shotgun, and basically just run in circles making the huge groups of biters do loops inside the poison clouds until they die; it saves on ammo).

Yes. Larger biters can actually attack THROUGH walls (or more probably, reach over them because they're fucking huge) and cause damage to structures one square past. So if you put your turrets right against the walls, they can damage them. If you put a gap, you only have to worry about spitters, and because they have less HP your turrets will probably kill them before they can get any shots off.

How do I into nuclear in Factorio?

It doesn't make any sense, the temperature of my heat exchangers and steam turbines is at 500 and they are full of steam, but the steam turbine performance won't increase.

It's like these steam turbines just refuse to generate power. I had this problem much earlier in the game and I thought I just needed more heat, but now I have 4 reactors at 1000 degrees and it's still not any better.

Ask yourself what happens in reality if you produce excess electricity in the system?
After we exhausted all ways to "stockpile" it, we use energy plants/turbines "in reverse" to destroy it and reduce the output of most plants to around 20%.
In Game Terms:
You produce as much as you need, if you increase your capacitor farm or build more factories you should see an increase in your numbers.

No. But kinda.

When an electrical grid is overloaded, damns have their turbines working backwards and dragging water upwards since it's a way to store energy. But it's really the only example, coal power plants, wind turbines and those fancy geo-thermal generators don't work in reverse.

Actually I just disconnected my boilers and that fixed it. That's what was confusing me; the boilers are still working to a degree, I expected nuclear to be like solar in that it completely replaces as much of boiler production as it can. Even worse it didn't do a 50/50 either, the ratio of boilers/nuclear doesn't make sense to me.

Looks like I've completely misunderstood how the steam turbines need to be set up, I tested a bit and 1 heat exchanger was only able to supply 2 steam turbines when I was straining my power completely. Since the heat only goes up to 500 anyway, you need to use heat pipes to try to get the heat reach into as many heat exchangers as you can before it falls below 500 degrees.

In an optimal setup I think 4 reactors would be completely overkill for my base.

I was thinking that your main problem was the complete fucking lack of demand. You're operating at about 5% of capacity in that first pic so naturally they won't be putting out more power than the system needs.
From the system entirely? Doesn't make much sense to me at all either but I'm yet to start building mine.

Yeah. If you have boilers connected to your system, then the boilers keep using coal to produce power even if the nuclear has way more potential left. I know it won't produce more than I need but I thought the boilers would shut off if my nuclear setup was sufficient.

Anyway, here's my updated nuclear setup, testing out 2 reactors for now but it has space for 4, and I can add more turbines horizontally. Using ~70 MW currently while researching and the nuclear is not even breaking a sweat. Heat is about 850 at the bottom left heat exchangers, but I'm not sure how exactly heat is "consumed" so I dunno if it's indicative of anything. Nuclear fuel is being used up very slowly, maybe 1 per minute?

I am definitley going to check this one out it looks interesting and confy af tbh.

The only other game like that which I have been playing are Rimworld but it is not as heavy on the management or the building. I seen Hearthlands not long ago and was tempted to check it out. I really like the city-building elements but I'd really like something more orientated around defending or sending out warriors to bring back lootz. I am sure there are a tonne, thankfully I have been finding so many more games I have never heard of since steam updated the store and its reccomendations. I have seriously found so many fuckin games.

Why do I feel like I play this caveman style?

oh im stuck on a pirate copy so im not all the way up to date

Just pirate 0.15 then, it's a pretty big update. Your boilers will get fucked though.

Play more, git gud, buy gaem.

I cant find one of the most recent update. I'm fine on this version tho, it's just before 0.15

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:98a975b3f05d65c924485a4a4059ea2768118f3c&dn=Factorio.v0.15.6.rar&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.zer0day.to%3a1337%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2f9.rarbg.com%3a2710%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexplodie.org%3a6969%2fannounce
There you go, mate.

Oh you mean the steam engines. I found that a bit weird too. I have so many solar panels and accumulators that they should be self sufficient but it still uses the steam engines. Only after the solar panels aren't putting anything out the accumulators kick in. I'd have thought accumulators would have been the first port of call because it's essentially free energy but apparently not. I don't think I remember it being like this in earlier version either. Maybe they've changed the prioritisation of energy production sources.

Accumulators aren't free energy, they're like batteries that store excess energy and use it when there's nothing else to provide the required energy. I can understand that because otherwise they would just deplete immediately. I think it's always been that way.

For example I use them to deal with the power spikes that happen when laser turrets start shooting, even when I was still using 100% steam for my power they were useful.

Solar+accumulators don't use any fuel to give up their electricity so they should be first priority is what I'm saying. The game seems to only use the accumulators when the solar panels aren't putting anything out at all. I'd have thought the accumulators would slowly kick in as the solar panels died down and then when they were empty the steam engines would follow.
Now that I think about it though, this way is probably best. It means the accumulators are a last resort for power and always able to be there in case of emergency spikes and such.

Oh okay I get what you mean now. The game can't really know how you want to use the power, so yeah we kind of need the ability to tell the electric network which power sources to prioritize. That would also solve the problem with nuclear.

Might be cool to be able to use the power switch and circuits to manually do some magic that switches them up, but I don't know if it's possible. You can read accumulator charge level and you may be able to do some trickery with that, but I'll have to experiment later.

That is a retard over-simplification and misinformed idea of what actual autistic behaviors are. Autistic diagnosis is spectrum based and sketchy at best. The reason people say repetitive, intricate time consuming games (like Aurora) are autistic is because the majority of cases that hit the papers or media are kids that can do rain-man kind of shit, or ullilia who while he was at his worse would fractal himself into inactivity and tiny tiny details for mundane things.

Its not about disorganization its about shift of interest and focus to either repetitive, stagnant or seemingly inappropriate things for calming because of sensory overload. This meme always was about the average Holla Forumsirgin not having their priorities in order and spending 1000 hours in shit like Roblox or Terraria building a 1:1 replica of the empire state building instead of going to work / school / showering. If you're going to justify a meme, at least know the reason behind it, you autist.

So far as I know, energy prioritation is:

Solar Panels
Nuclear
Steam Engines
Accumulators

So your coal-fired boilers should just be idling so long as there is enough power coming out of the nuclear plants. I'm not sure if this was patched IN or patched OUT, though, just what I noticed.

Although, it shouldn't be that way. In reality, nuclear power plants take a long time to bring up to power (or power down; the reason why Fukishima happened is that you can't just press a big red button to shut down a nuke in five minutes — there's a checklist of thousands of steps that takes DAYS) so power plants that burn coal, oil, or natural gas are used to moderate small changes in demand. It would be more realistic in Factorio if it took a while for a nuclear generator to "spin up" to maximum capacity, requiring you keep around some old-fashioned boilers to fill that gap in power.

Build clusterfuck factory that kinda works, conquer some land, build a neat factory, tear the first one down, take screenshot.

It's like these steam turbines just refuse to generate power.
I'm pretty sure they only consume as much steam as they need to consume your current power needs. The black part of the production bar is basically the unused capacity. If you had a tank between the heat exchangers and the turbines you'd see it filling up pretty fast.

They're supposed to work like that, but at the same time the steam engines are trying to charge the accumulators as soon as they have less than 100% charge.

Its only autistic if you are autistic about it.

It's only autistic if the game is meant for autists.

Kinda what I do, except it's more like:

That's basically exactly what I was thinking about.

I was also thinking whether it would be possible to have accumulators that are paired with solar panels, and extra accumulators that are meant to deal with power spikes. So steam starts running if your accumulators go low, but you'd still have another set of accumulators to deal with laser turret power spikes. Maybe you could just set the steam condition to be high enough so you still have reserve power in the accumulators.

all I want is autistic product development, stock markets, and futures trading in one game. Maybe even transport systems too.

MULTIPLAYER SERVER WHEN

the reason I think these games are autistic is the implied hours sitting in front of a computer and the lack thereof of social interactions and social life
sum that up with the irrational drive to have everything perfectly put and working, the OCD,
then you're more likely to gasp the range psychiatric aspects these games attract

What are some good mods for factorio? Bob's mods seem to be the most popular but his image on the forum is a fucking furry, not sure about those.

Bob's mod is pretty good but needs other additional mods like the one that lets you grow trees to make it functional.

Why do you need wood? However he does have something to make wood called greenhouse, one of the many modules.

Basic computer chips in bob's mod use wooden boards so you need shitloads of it to make your first-tier electronics like inserters. Bob's mod adds shitloads of stuff and changes a lot of the recipes.

wow, fuck that furry. I'm not even gonna bother with such bullshit, wooden circuits boards holy fucking shit. The more i think about it the dumber it gets.

The shit you use wooden circuitboards to make have a limited lifespan

It's not actual WOOD. It's more like a polymer made from wood. If you check the recipes in Bob's Mods, they're actually amazingly, autistically accurate to reality, much more so than the base game.

Now this is something I didn't count on. Regular inserters can't pick things up from the inside of a corner of a fast belt.

City Skylines is really comfy. Kind of stupid when a ton of your industrial buildings are called Ice Cube Factory though.

That looks really nice.

AKA office work, that's not even as autistic as assembly work.
Besides, of course you're not gonna have "social interactions" while playing the game, these are mostly singleplayer. That doesn't mean you do that only every day and never go out for a beer with friends.

It's a puzzle. You're meant to look at it and solve it as a puzzle but the solution isn't matching shapes, it's coming up with ways to optimize the system. You're clearly not an engineer or anything similar or you'd understand the beauty of looking at something and thinking "Hum… How can I make this waste less time\resources and produce more things per second?" and actually doing it.

Your post, with the bad grammar and stereotypes, lets anyone grasp more about what kind of person you are than about these games.

Corners have always been buggy. I never allow inserters to pick things up from them.

Then again, I also never allow them to pick things up off of the start/end pieces of underground belts, because that just seems like cheating.

Simutrans or OpenTTD?

simutrans

I'd assume you at least see other people while at work, the very least getting orders from the boss
no, its a open ended game which may have arbitrary or personal objectives (depending on the game)
and making something more efficient is different than going at every nimble and fixing it,
I'm not saying about factori, but for example going on cities skylines and fixing every single highway intersection so they look just right

I have dislexia so fuck off

Currently trying the 111 crafted items challenge, holy shit the start is slow as fuck

Doesn't look like a bug to me, just part of the simulation.

I remember trying to math that out once. It's just enough to get everything you need for a single lab, power station, and two assemblers, isn't it?

I think if you build the second assembler by making all of its components in the first assembler it's only +1 craft, you should have 5-6 spare crafts if you just do the lab, steam engine, offshore pump, 1x craft of power poles, boiler, and 10 research packs

R8 my factory.

Yeah, reusing the first assembler allows you to use the other crafts for things like picks and chests that make things just a bit less tedious

anyone that isn't literally autistic is g oing to reflexively use their first craft on an iron pick so they can stop holding rmb for 5 years to pick up placed buildings or chop trees

Spaghetti/10
Also fucking upgrade your mining equipment.

It's possible to actually do it with only 100 crafted items. Also, that's one achievement I will never attempt. It's useless tedium that adds nothing to the game experience.

Looks like my second ever playthrough.

I didn't even get to the point where it was plausible to launch a rocket until my fourth.

I think it does.

I'm still handcrafting all kinds of shit at endgame, when I tried that achievement I realized how much it really pushes you to automate everything that you need, because you don't want to reconfigure your assemblers every time you want an oil pump or something. It's especially apparent in early game where you probably wouldn't normally automate a lot of things, but now want to automate everything.

I also learned to start going really large scale when I tried it, because you need to automate so many things and make so many assemblers and belts that feeding everything from 2 iron supply belts is not ideal.

I suppose the beginning is tedious before you can automate more drills, but it didn't make me feel like I was grinding, it compelled me to put the game window to the side and do something else until my burner drill had collected enough iron/whatever to make something new.

I think the new minimum in 0.15 is 106 items.

I'm experimenting with fenced off lawns.

are you making the mods? really don't it suits banished, since its more of a common wealth kind of thing
any clue what the "new banished" banished user mentioned earlier means?

Factorio is truly the best anarcho-capitalist simulator

Long inserters have the same problem with blue belt corners. Even fast inserters have problems grabbing shit from underground belt entrances sometimes if the belt is not backed up.

surely you've learned by now the best way to lay out something larger than the source in the center is by using a swastika pattern.

I like to layout my solar panels in 2x2 squares with a pole on each corner because I like being able to walk through my solar parks.

That used to be my favorite too, but I rarely want to actually walk around in the middle of it. I just punch holes into the typical 8x8 pattern for car access now.

Those diagonal patterns rustle my autism, are hard to make paths through, and waste space at the edges anyway.

Trying to make a comfy base.
It's been awhile since I tried.

Pick one

It looks too autistically geometric. Also has fucking 1 tile walls

that's what this thread is for
:^)

I haven't, but it's good to see an efficient solar power setup that generates 100% white power.

I've been meaning to look at alternative designs since there's this annoying ass line of space in the old setup I used

Make the outer wall thicker. That roof on the right looks like it's about to fall in pieces. The background doesn't look very logical when behind the tall roof, change it to red bricks or something. All the rooms are the same. Those prison-tier dungeon doors aren't comfy. Use a block that merges with dirt on the base of your building. Entire building lacks "warm" materials, stone and glass are both cold. Add furniture other than tables and chairs, and put something on the tables. Add trees or something on the outside.

Best pattern coming through

By the time you're using solar panels you should also have substations, so it's a bit pointless.

Also, I've always just kept my solar panels and accumulators in separate places. It just looks stupid when they're crammed together in geometric patterns.

Substations don't fit the solar panels without any crossover in their power supply's reach. They do fit accumulators perfectly though.

I don't mind a little bit of crossover. I find playing a game to be completely pointless if you're going to min/max every tiny detail like that. Might as well just plot all the production statistics on a spreadsheet and call it done. Save some time. Kludging together a horrible mess of spaghetti to solve a problem is more fulfilling than assembling the puzzle of a plan you've already completely figured out.

Mah nigga.
I love it when people post screenshots where the factories are complete fucking messes of pipes/wires/belts everywhere and nothing follows any sort of logic.

and seems like this one is gonna break tons of shit, get ready guys….

I don't mind things being tidy or not, but only if you don't have issues with lead times and backups. Tidiness helps you mentally organize and modularize but it doesn't matter if some machines are idling and others are not producing fast enough.

Should I use a train to move my second circuit production over to my main base's circuit production, or just wall off a corridor and put turrets around it?

At this point the cost of producing green circuits at my main base is getting exponentially large, and all other production is being negatively effected by it because of how much iron it sucks through the main belt.

I mean the bases are pretty close to each other so it wouldn't be too much of an iron cost to wall off, gun up, and put down a long feeder line, but that's kinda spaghetti lookin.

You know they can run in both directions, right? That distance isn't very far so you could get away with belts pretty easily. I like to centralise my production so the only thing I'd do offsite is mining and smelting.

I bet you aren't even at 1 GJ.

Problem with this is that you can't scale up if you make a spaghetti bolognese out of your base. Factorio can scale up A LOT, and you will need to if you want to send rockets faster than 1 per year for example.

I once tried to min/max my circuit production. Actually made a spreadsheet so it could automatically back-calculate prerequisite requirements. I wanted to get up to some arbitrary number of modules per minute. After the thing spit back at me that I'd need something like 200 red circuit assemblers, I decided "fuck it" and just went back to guessing everything (now such a thing doesn't really seem that absurd, but I'd done this following a factory that had maybe 30). Now I just make every factory about twice as big as my last one. It's worked out well so far. Not everything ends up spaghetti, though, just some things. Usually the fiddly shit that I automate late and don't require a lot of throughput, like engines and pumpjacks.

Fuck making a corridor; build a wall straight up and straight down to those lakes (like in pic related). You'll probably need the space later, and will definitely need the resource patches. Also, keep in mind that biters will sometimes get a hair up their ass and decide to chew through a section of train track if it's exposed. If you run a section of track without guarding it with turrets, you might lose a train to the little fuckers (as well as all the resources on it).

I've had problems with them eating my power poles that run in the middle of 2 rail tracks. Entire outposts can get unpowered and become defenseless when that happens. Haven't found a solution that doesn't involve running 60 miles of wall and turrets into every direction. May help to run normal power poles instead of the long distance ones, since they have smaller hitbox.

What I was doing for a while was giving each power pole two turrets and a wall surrounding it. But this wasn't really much better than just walling off literally the entire train line, considering the distance between power poles, and if the biters decide to come with more than a handful of big 'uns, those two turrets will get overrun, anyway.

I don't think there really is a solution, besides going out to clean up your borders of new nests every once in a while.

It's too bad you can't make a roboport carriage to drive through the tracks and fix things as it goes.

Trains and outposts are strangely satisfying, until trains start hitting behemoth biters and getting stuck. Next version of the game is supposed to have battle trains though, which might take care of that.

At least you can always run red/green wire on those poles and use it to detect if power is cut.

You could also put together some kind of automatic backup defense network. Something like a series of tanks filled with steam that will dump their contents into steam engines when they detect a power outage, which activates a secondary electric network, hooking into a series of inserters that start dumping ammo from chests onto belts leading to gun turrets that are alongside the usual laser turrets.

I mean, of course it would make sense to just have the ammo inside the turrets to begin with, but this method has the advantage of being TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME!

Decided to go with your idea, got plenty of wall for it, but turret coverage is going to be lacking for a while, and now blue natives are appearing

How is nuclear power by the way? I have access to about 64k worth of uranium right now but I dunno if it's even worth the effort to push the sulfuric acid around to get it going.

Oxygen not included

It's rimworld in an asteroid. You have to build a base, produce oxygen, food, water and pay attention to stress levels of your guys. You get to play with gas pressure and temperature. You can cool down oxygen so it becomes solid and you can purify contaminated water by dumping it on lava. It's extremely fun. Currently in early access.

Any tips on organizing the base anything I make turns into shpageti mid-game.

Don't build over or near your ore. More often than not it only spaghettis out of control when you try to build around something.

It's shit. Lots of meta-knowledge you need to know about to have any chance that you'll only get with trial and error, lots of digging for new resources since it takes a fairly long while before you can be self suficient, and even then you'll always be somewhat dependant of other resources.

It could be fun, but early game and the first few attemps are ruined because there's so much shit you don't know and there's way too much crap to worry about at the same time.
Lategame is also ruined once you realized how dull and contentent-less it actually is after you finish the research tree.

It can certainly be a bit fun but it's not worth the price they are asking for it.

tbh 64k is just barely enough to start enriching if you aren't too unlucky. Nuclear power is basically compact* power for late-game. Not really worth the trouble until you you need hundreds of gigawatts.
*compared to covering the planet in solar panels

Nigger, fucking please.

I like to build my base from the bottom up.
This means that I first place the number of labs I want/need, then place the assemblers for the actual researchpacks, then place the assemblers for whatever the packs need, then place the assemblers for whatever they need etc etc etc. Only when I am done do I connect my smelters to the actual structure.
This means that any spaghetti is avoided, and if oyu do it properly you can even expand the system as far as you want to.

from the letsplays I watched, the game seems to be pretty fun, but far from rimworld,
while rimworld seems to be more relevant to the roleplay, surviving at best, and how fun your crazy villagers tend to be
oxygen… is much more like a fluid focused builder, and of course its very early release still, so surely lacking in content

There's a rock that produces oxygen out of nothing and dumps a large amount instead if you break. Real world physics, uh?

That's not what I said but I guess I wasn't that clear with that.
In the beginning of the game, you can easily produce oxygen just by mining around those rocks, but that doesn't sustain you for long.
You can make a machine that consumes Algae and produces oxygen, which seems a nice idea.
Until you find out that you can also build one that requires Algae to be built to produce oxygen.
At that point, you might have already consumed all the nearby algae if you didn't knew beforehand about it, and even then, said machine requires water, that's not as easy to move around as algae.
Funnily enough, the same problem repeats itself again once you find out there's a machine to produce oxygen out of water (and power with the hydrogen) but you'll likely have wasted all the nearby water.

You can sorta mitigate this by focusing research on that alone and rushing those machines, but you'll be lacking decent food production and will starve.
You can also just mine around for more water\algae but that just increases the amount of time your replicants take to drag those supplies back in, especially for water.
And in the end it doesn't even work that well since before you have a decent oxygen making facility, you'll require decent power that you won't have available.

Now couple this with research slowing the game some more, forcing you to solve food problems along the way for more frustration and realize that, once you have a small base up and running, the only thing left to do is mine further to collect sand and extend your pipes to gather more water into a central reservoir.

tl;dr it's only chalenging because early game has you overloaded with multiple elements you have to wrangle, where failing one spells doom for the entire game. Solutions are abound but they sabotage each other, the lower tier ones screwing out of supplies to build the next ones, the later ones screwing you because you won't need the previous ones ever again. And after all that is done, there's really nothing interesting going for the game afterwards.

It's fun to optimize shit but your third playthrough will not be as fun as you'd expect it to be, since you'll skip a lot of shit and notice the lack of content easily.

Never make walls with corners; always make them with 45-degree bends. The reason for this is that a corner will only have a single turret in it, so any biters/spitters who attack that corner can focus-fire on a single turret, and only that one turret is in range to hit them back. That turret will quickly be destroyed, creating a weak point in the defense. If they attack a 45-degree bend, probably two or three turrets can shoot at them at any one time, and the damage will be spread among them. You'll use fewer turrets overall, too.

Compare the differing sizes of the areas representing no-overlapping-coverage, in this simple diagram. In the one with the corner, biters can practically get right up to the wall and still only be in range of a single turret.

Always give yourself a lot more room than you need. When you're just starting out your base, leave huge empty spaces in between your smelting areas and production areas, and space out all your production areas. You'll very likely find something to put in there, later. Playing through to the endgame a few times will give you an idea how much space you need for certain things; it's stuff like: half your factory's resources will eventually go into making the variety of circuits/modules; making rockets will probably require you to double your steel production; robots need a LOT of batteries and electric engines; if you think you have enough light-oil-to-petroleum crackers, add ten more anyway.

but does it fix the shit gameplay, stop airports from being too fucking good and actually makes roads useful? Or the game still can't handle track/road crossings without killing a truck every minute?

Basecosts GRF is your friend. With a proper configuration, it can really differentiate the games modes of transport without being depressingly low income or total money printer

Sounds like Rimworld.

If you don't know that blight can come out of god's asshole and wipe out almost all of your food, you can just starve with no way to deal with the situation.

If you don't know that boomalopes do a ridiculous explosion and set everything on fire when they die, they can obliterate everything you love in the first pack they attack you in.

If you don't know about heatwave and cold snap, they'll kill and/or starve everyone unless you prepared enough supplies for it.

If you don't know what diseases are like and the RNG decides to throw some at you early in the game, you'll die unless you happened by chance to plant a bunch of healroot and the RNG didn't also decide to blight or cold snap it all to kingdom come.

The world is infinite m8, leave more space between things. Even when you leave a bit too much space you may eventually find yourself wishing you left more.

Separate the production of different stuff, most importantly separate your ore mining and smelting from everything else. This allows you to give plenty of space between them for future expansion (and to make belt lines straighter), and if you want you can add hacky assembly machines in the middle of them to hijack materials from then and craft some items you haven't properly automated yet.

Nuclear is extremely effective. Here's how much fuel my setup uses for 80-120 MW of power (with 2 reactors, so it's more like double this speed).

It costs about 20-25 ore per fuel cell, it's very easy to fuel this thing compared to steam engines IMO. You probably want the enriching science so you can make more of the bright nuclear material.

Did they changed that on the last version? I recall that the world size is by default limited by the RAM amount and that 8 or 16 GB of RAM I forget which one equals the size of Luxembourg.

Which isn't exactly large, you can't back out of a parking spot without finding yourself in Belgium, Germany or, may God help you, France.

Do we have a Factorio serb?
If not, we should get one going.

Also, how do I get good? I'm able to set up a pretty good mining/sorting operation, but when I get to needing to expand I always fuck myself, get confused and need to rebuild everything. Namely when the assemblers come into play. Fuck me, I hate working out assembler grids.
This game is so much fun, but I'm slightly too retarded to actually understand it.
I've only played for like 16 hours, but I still feel lost.

I don't think I'll ever get this good.

Make a belt with iron and one with gears/circuits and build your assemblers between them. 80% of what you need can be made that way.

Play the campaign, it has some cool example setups to ease you into things. And also just always remember that you're only getting better at designing factories by making shit that implodes at a certain level of scaling, then fixing the mistakes in your next design.
As an example, this is my current factory. It started out pretty efficient and easy to use, but just devolved into spaghetti over time, can't really handle the requirements of purple science and can't even begin to think about yellow science, and the ore field's running out at the same time. I'll need to scrap it and make something more scalable, with an easier way to put ore in. That's just what happens all the time in this game.

Good shit. How's the gun turrets working out for you?

Only on Holla Forums

Are you just unaware that beltless is how you scale big end-game or are you refusing to play the winning strategy because of a belt fetish?

Beltless is ghey.

I have a belt fetish.

Robots remove all the interesting challenge.

There's no challenge organizing robots, that's one. Two, robots eat bullshit amount of electric power and are more computationally expensive to run. But yeah if you hate fun and have like 50% energy extra to blow on logistics then go ahead.

Power is infinite end-game.
But that's not true. It sounds like it should be true, but it's not.

Enjoy.

Blue ones can stretch up to 8 tiles now.

Updated to 15-something, started new game. Ho boy did they increased research payload, and that's on normal prices.

Built a decent basic factory (it's not big but powerful enough to supply all the shit I need), now I can start railroad expansion. I remember by the time I could build railroads in previous versions I've almost had research tree completed.

Wonderful. That's going into the ol' porn stash.

I don't put turrets in corners; they can't take from a belt line, so they can't automate themselves. I'll keep that in mind though.

Well, I mean it's effectively infinite; you'll never be restricted by map space or even find the limits unless you specifically run off to find them.

It's like saying Minecraft isn't infinite because it's a 60 million * 60 million block square. It would take you almost 3 real life months to travel that distance on a minecart but yeah, I suppose it's technically not infinite.

Surprisingly well. Haven't had to set up repair roboports yet or even fill the spaces completely (using every other turret spot in some places), and I'm saving tons of power by using bullets instead of laser. The material cost for ammo is trivial too.

I just saw my first behemoth biter though so we'll see what happens.

Fun fact, it takes less than two months to round trip around the earth at that speed.

Wont you fall off the underside though?

Shit if I know, the farthest I ever travelled was quarter-way around the planet.

Warning for those trying the 111 challenge; you can't auto building your first oil refinery due to needing 5 materials, so save a craft

Seriously fuck that shit

Not enough Terraria

First pic is a joint effort mf me and a friend, he really liked the skyblock and sky island idea, I was the one who put in the sunrise background. Looks kinda shit, but it holds a special place in my heart.

Second one is a much older base. Made it on a server with about 3 other friends, we were all playing characters based off of the Axis leaders, I got to be Hitler. The original building had a tunnel leading down from the bottom of the swastika cone, leading to a large room that i planned to make into a tiny city, but i decided not to.

Third picture was a shitty motel that i made, since i didn't feel like making a nice base for the character i was playing. Instead, i just turned my Russian housing unit into that by sticking a sign on the top. Lazy build, still neato.

Fourth is the original home base of the character I used to take the screenshots. I started Terraria back up for moonman, and found the granite blocks. Decided to make my house out of it, not disappointed. Fish bitch got to live under the stairs.

Finally, my magnum autis. I built the giant crescent moon temple in tribute to the infamous Mac Tonight, the only moon lord I care about. Eventually, I moved out of the granite base, and lived in the moonman temple.

If i can get my modded terraria to run again, i'll get the pictures of the Boreal wizard tower I built for the same friend who made the sky tile house, and anything else notable from that server.

Source: actual autist. The definition Holla Forums uses is appropriate, as autists are usually detail-focused, so a game with a fuckton of micromanagement is appropriately 'autistic'. By extension, managing those intricacies to accomplish a bigger goal is 'autistic', it's hardly a derogatory term unless you find all of those things to be a waste of time, at which point it's simply a case of 'stop liking what I don't like'.

Got it running, here's the tower. Not exactly comfy, but it looked good, minus maybe the side part, and it served its purpose. I also really like the bridge that I made next to it.

Second pic is the grinder house. In the modpack, we got to the point where we could tank the pumpkin moon on our own, so this was just where we dumped out stuff and looked good while doing it.

Last pic was the normal mode server we made before we found out that a lot of the mod content was stuck behind expert mode, so we manned up, and went into expert guns blazing. We managed to beat every boss, including Calamity's Ragnarok, which was fucking hard as shit. Anyways, it was going to be a huge mansion castle house inn, but since we swapped worlds, that never happened. Oh well.

I dunno, it seems like it has a pretty good headroom, if you don't craft useless shit you'll be good.

so first base, after doing the first few tutorial missions in the demo.

Not even the worst part. solve the food die off problem by planting a buffer crop your wealth for the early game doubles get larger raiding party, plant heal root your wealth goes up. get high level constructor to build nice beds. Wealth level goes up. you start the game and before your have researched machining your are dealing with raids twice your population with guns or worse yet 7 fucktards with melee weapons and shields because melee weapons need to be viable.

Every solution to a problem drives up your wealth that drives up the number of fucktards raiding your base. witch will always exceed any decent way of dealing with them, so you are forced to build a killbox. at witch point the dev figured that out he decided to make raids that "go around" your killbox. insects drop pods and other random your colony is wiped style raids. for the late game building that dam ship is largely dependent on getting caravans carrying ungodly amounts of plarasteel. even with your beckon and requesting caravans you cant garentee that they after paying them to sell you shit will actually bring what you want. all this missing a huge opportunity to have the late game conquering the warring tibials and driving the pirates off the planet. but with no natural population growth or real diplomacy options and the fact that every faction is scattered about randomly. (think starting on an island by yourself will be safe? think again)

giggled

I hate this with a passion. You'll never get the throughput you need and at one point will need to pull twice from the same line between two balancers and will have practically nothing going to the second assembly line.

It works out much better if you just have lines going straight to whatever they're needed with no interruptions (particularly circuits), and if necessary split at the END of the line. Then if you have a shortage in one sector, you can increase the resources for it, instead of increasing resources to everything and hoping when it evens out there's a significant improvement in the one sector that needed it.

(Did they change the recipe for green circuits so it's 1:1 for copper cables instead of 2:3?)

Not on normal but there's some kind of hard mode where the recipes are different.

What are they for? Are you measuring science output or something?

Don't build over your ore jesus. You're gonna regret it when the shit you're mining now runs out. Though it's pretty neat compared to a regular first base.

Hang em' All

thx yea i know i kinda got into a clusterfuck watched some demo about serial bus style conveyor systems

still don't get trains. currently running a pipeline for oil

So, is the Village a good game? I played it a while back,
but it was kinda limited and had terrible performance.

I split based on priorities, they may be messed up now because I only fix them if there's a problem, but there was at one point a reason for the way I split my belts.

Circuits are crafted so fast and require 3 coils each that I couldn't be bothered to deal with the belt and inserter speed issues it causes. It was just simpler to do it that way. I'll figure out a proper design another time.

Fluids have some kind of pressure system so long pipes aren't very good for getting oil etc over to your base. Throwing a pump every radar's range is enough to keep it flowing though I use the fluid carriages because you can split one carriage into three compartments and the rail infrastructure is usually already there.

That's banished, son.

This is 5 hours of me fucking around.
Why am I this retarded? Can somebody help me? I've never really grasped how to set up a good transporter system.

holy shit what are you doing?
Is this what it feels like to be triggered? Jesus. If you're going to have mixed belts just have coal on one side and one type of ore on the other side. Then you can have a regular electric inserter running your smelters' input.

Separate belts for separate resources man.

That's the problem, I don't know how to separate belts beside having two come from the side and join one going up the middle.

who /aurora/ here

Well, I got the name wrong, but I did mean this game.
Where you get to build a village and try to get though the winter and shit.
Just saw the steam reviews and apparently it's well liked. I'll give it another go.

I don't know when I became this retarded, maybe I've always been. Fuck me.

Everyone creams themselves over the colonial charter mod but I've never tried it. I remember that wooden houses are fucking pointless to build because of the fire hazard and needing a gorillion times the amount of fire wood to keep warm.

as long as you don't have them both coming from the same side to begin with you should be sweet. Inserters always place things on the far side of the belt too if that helps. No idea why you have your iron ore join your copper ore belt though.

Your design is inherently flawed because you're putting 2 different science packs into the both sides of a single belt. Inserters put items into the opposite end of the belt, so you need to put red science in one side and green science in the other.

You should ideally make different things in different places, have a dedicated spot for red science, and another spot for green science, and then combine them somewhere just like you combined your copper and iron plates. Green science is more complicated, so you should try to make belts and inserters separately, otherwise it'll be difficult to route all the materials in.

Also, you don't need those filter inserters, they don't pick up items that can't go into the machine they're pointing at.

Most people just do three cable assemblers inserting directly into two circuit assemblers. I prefer putting all the cables on belts and running them to the circuit assemblers, but that's just because I prioritize aesthetics over efficiency, and shittons of things on belts makes me happy. Seeing thousands of cables whipping by at a hundred miles per hour, every time I grab a stack of Level 3 modules and the whole factory kicks into overdrive, is just fantastic.

And I've been doing three circuit assemblers for each two cable assemblers all this time like a special kind of retard.

Any better? I don't know why this is so hard for me. I mean, I really do have autism, but this shouldn't be that hard.

Better, but keep in mind you're going to need a lot more of EVERYTHING, so it's best to leave room for expansion in some direction.

That's a big improvement. There's a lot of tricks that you learn as you play, for example these stray belts that "flatten" the conveyor belt so the items only go to 1 side. If you add more furnaces, your copper plates are going to mix with the iron gears if you don't do something like this to your copper.

Shoot, I had a conveyor there, I must have removed it by accident. But thanks though, I really appreciate it. And I plan to leave more room. I'm going to expand the science centres to the right, and the manufacturing area is going to go down and left.

A good place to start is building a Main Bus system. The idea is that if your resources and products flow in one direction and your assembly areas are perpendicular, you'll never run out of room to expand by running into something else you've built. It's not the most creative or pretty or efficient method, but it will help you get through your first few factories and learn the basics of the game, so you can anticipate what you need later on.

I wish this game had some kind of replay/timelapse function so you could see how your world changes over time.

Finally got around to try nukes too. Not really worth their cost IMO but holy hell are they effective. Why spend time killing aliens when you can just toss a nuke from out of their reach and wipe out the entire base.

Didn't know nukes had a higher range but my regular trick of throwing poison capsules from beyond the big worms' reach until they're all dead then carpet bombing them with cluster grenades works pretty well. Two exosuits is enough to never be caught by anything so just one teir one shield is more than enough to protect against any stray spits. When I tried out rocket launchers I kept killing myself because of the splash catching me when I slowed down to shoot.

A timelapse like the one at the end of Civ V games would be fucking sweet though.

There's no way you'd make it out alive if it didn't, that explosion is like half the height of my screen at max zoom distance. I'd love to use them but I think uranium is much more valuable as a power source than a neat way to clear enemy bases.

My tactic has been running by and shooting everything with explosive rockets from as far as I can, and then running away while flamethrowering anyone who follows. It's not working too well now that I'm getting behemoths though. Cluster grenades are very good for massive crowds but I never end up using them because they're kinda expensive compared to rockets, so I can't bother to automate them.

It actually does. wiki.factorio.com/Replay_system

Unfortunately, it just follows your character, so you can't get an overview shot of the entire factory growing over time.

The flamer is all you need really.
Also viable:

I never really understood why anyone would use gun turrets over laser ones. Sure, ammo is cheap and easy to supply, but with coal/steam engines you can get power for practically nothing, and a few hundred capacitors in a single farm cost almost nothing compared to hundreds of thousands of topped off ammo supplies for the gun turrets. Just mine out a single large coal field and have it supply your energy needs exclusively.
I like the idea of placing mines though. They may require explosives to produce, and half of their explosive energy is wasted (since they will explode on the first enemy, leaving the ones in the back unharmed), but some sort of directional mine could fix that problem, and to be honest, I like to have a large explosive factory anyways to fill up a crate of tank ammo and rocket ammo each, just to be ready for some purging.

Shit man, what are you doing? Never ever place anything in the middle of anything else. This layout prevents you from expanding your science bay as needed.
You are also building on top of your coal supply, which is bad, since you will eventually need that coal.
Looking at your map, I guess there is a lot of open space at the bottom? You should relocate there and make sure that each part of your factory can be expanded as needed.

Why on earth are you using substations for power transportation over long distances? They may have long cables, but the large electric tower got far longer ones, and cost far less to make.

All you need to know is that miners place on the near side, while inserters place on the far side.
If you want to run coal and iron ore to your miners for example have one belt running along the coal miners, and the other running along the iron miners. Then have one belt run into the side of the other and all of your iron will be placed on one side, while the coal remains on the other. Pic related.

Waaaay back when mines were first implemented, I thought they could be a pretty effective first-line defense, but ONLY if they would be automatically replaced by robots right after exploding. Otherwise they're nothing but a nuisance that requires you to constantly replace them after they explode.

Seeing how now there's shit ton of different science packs, I've decided not to go with trusty old "multiple belts choke full of science shit" approach and instead made assemblers only produce packs when there's none on the lab supply rail. Lights are just for kicks, they show the amount of packs on the rail, on logarithmic scale.

Somehow happens more often than it sounds like it should.

Well, something like five to ten percent of the map is covered in water. If you spawn on a random tile every time you generate a new map with standard setting, you have around five to ten percent chance of being inside a lake. Kind of poetic actually. Reminds me of Napoleon.
Kind of wish

That five to ten percent chance is only true if the spawn position is fixed and a tile is generated there if necessary. If the spawn tile is selected as the closest walkable tile to the spawn point, the chance will be far lower since usually, way less than a tenth of a sea are islands. And to prevent it, it should be fairly easy to run a pathing algorighm that checks whether you can reach at least 10000 tiles, at which point it can reasonably be assumed that you are not on an island, before spawning the player on a tile.

Hosting a dedicated server for vanilla Factorio 15
Address: fagtorio.dynu.net
Password: vidya

This is what I get for sloppy walling.

They are. And you can walk/drive over them without detonating them.

Is that an older version? The missile design screen looks different.

those substations are used for planting turrets. My "early game" strategy with clearing out xeno nests is to constantly push laser turrets on top of their nests. Of course at the point where big biters and spitters are spawning, this tactic is much less effective, so hence why i'm using an entire substation to power multiple instead of a medium power pole to power a few.

It says you're hosting 0.14.23

And looking at your screenshot, that's completely correct.

Ah fuck, got the wrong server files and Steam hasn't updated my local game for whatever reason so it just worked. I'll switch over in a bit.

Factorio releases on Steam require you to re-opt into beta every time a new major version number changes. You're probably still subscribed to "0.14.x", and not the newer "0.15.x".

Okay, it's on 15.12

Robots do replace them, but you end up going through robots like mad as spitters snipe them as they obliviously replace equipment in an active battlefield. You could probably do some circuit shenanigans to block mines from the logistic network when an attack is in progress, but I'm not autistic for that yet

To a point. These green hobos don't burn so good.

Except the cost of having to constantly expand to new coal patches not to mention worry about it in the first place, it wastes my time and space personally to have to supply that much more power to my base no matter which power source I'm using, bullet cost is nothing once the turrets are all set up.

It costs nothing but the idling drain of inserters if the aliens aren't attacking while laser uses 10s or 100s of megawatts just idling there. If my power gets messed up the turrets never shut off. If I want I can eventually upgrade to uranium bullets for like 3X damage boost.

There's plenty of advantages for using bullets. I use laser in my mining outposts anyway because I can't be bothered to set up all the ammo stuff there. Whether it works at endgame is another question, haven't had massive behemoth attacks yet to find out with.

Is double thick just placebo?

I can't remember my wall ever being molested before. Behemoth biters get pretty close though.

How to trigger elves, aliens and your power supply with one just simple trick

Experiment: Flamethrower turrets #1
Results: Exceptional. Nothing got damaged at all, even with a massive manually initiated enemy invasion.

Experiment: Flamethrower turrets #2
Results: Utter failure, biters reached outer wall which caused the turrets to set it in flames and destroy some of it. No camera footage due to panic in the office.

Notes: Phenomenon present in test #2 cannot be replicated on subsequent experiments, exact cause remains unknown. Further testing required. John suggested that a large frontline attack may reach the wall, as Flamethrower has some travel time and thus cannot hit the first biters properly.

My spaghetti base is ready for oil processing. Is this a decent setup for far?
Also, should I have the oil from my pumpjacks coming in through multiple pipes, or just one?
And how many should I have?

This is embarassing.

I'm not sure if it's still true, but in earlier versions biters had an attack range that allowed them to attack a turret standing immediately behind a single wall. This of course can also be avoided by leaving a space between the wall and the turrets. And of course, a double wall needs twice as much damage to breach.

The acid one is also missing a water feed.

Actually, this is entirely the wrong picture and everything is fucked up.
Nevermind, I'm going to stew in my idiocracry.

Supposedly the blue ones have 1 tile extra range and the green ones have 2. No idea if it's true anymore though, I always use triple walls.

This is the one I meant to post.
For some reason I'm not getting any plastic out of the one plant. Could it be a shortage of oil?

I'm going back to bed.

Maybe it's a shortage of petroleum, since your pipes aren't hooked up.

The chemical plant making plastic is backwards, it's not getting petroleum.

While we're at it, it looks like the inserter for the acid plant is holding copper.

got to go do something with the light and heavy oil or store it as it chokes up the refinery.

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't notice that.

I'll sort that out, thanks.

It's going into those storage tanks, is that not enough? I'm just trying to get the production for batteries and plastic going first.

You'll probably run out of space before you get around to researching cracking. Not a huge deal, you just need to add some extra tanks when it happens, or set up a little solid fuel production to burn it off.

Factorio Question:
I have a long double-tracked railway and want that trains can only move in one direction along each track. Is there some trick to ensure that?

Put signals on only one side of each track?

Yeah, I definitely ran out of space. I just tore down my factory again and I've been looking at other people's. I have a better idea of out to set this up now.
It's better if resources are all coming from one direction right?

is this what you meant?

Early on it's definitely nice to have iron, copper and coal coming from the same direction so you can feed your furnaces easier. Mostly iron and copper though, since you only need one belt of coal for 12 belts of ore. Beyond that it's not a huge deal.
Though, if you're going to be using trains later it would make it easier to connect the unloading station(s) if your base is set up to receive resources from one side.

Build it in a way so that they can't turn around.

Yes, two parallel tracks like in this pic which should be one-way only. I don't want two trains to meet head-on and deadlock.

My railroad systems tend to become very large and complicated. Ensuring they can't turn around while keeping it efficient will be hard.

Are you illiterate?

so you guys playing mp?
there has been some streams of the yogscast where they host like big mp sessions, like 100 each team,
and what ensues is amazing, apart of course from the regular bakas, they managed to turn up huge bases

guy said he had a server running 15 witch is 15.12 not 15.10 so im looking for a "Barrowed" copy first one was just the file but now i got a "skidrow" setup.exe and i'm contemplating running it.

multiplayer
its not pirate friendly
don't think anyone will bother cracking it all proper like with the single player working
guess i don't get to hang out with ancap Holla Forums.

Rail signals are pretty simple. I think they detect the entrances and exits to your rail track.

Look at pic related, your rail can go to either direction in the 2-way track. Pick a direction and build things based on that.

You've got to get an inserter to hand over the sulfur to the acid plant.

Rail signals and chain signals. Easiest way to figure it out is to make sure they're on the right side of the tracks for the direction you want the train to go then put chain signals before you'd enter a junction and rail signals after you exit it.

Multiplayer works with pirates but a legit copy has to host and the versions have to be the same. I'm running this version. It's 15.something but not the very latest one. We had a Holla Forums server a few years back where the host just posted their drm free copy to the vola and everyone downloaded and joined. Was some good shit. The amount of times I got run over by a train though. Holy shit.

it's not literal autism, it describes games that require a lot of time and attention to detail. This is based on the stereotype that autistic people spend a lot of time playing video games because they can't socialize and they have a tendency to acquire life-consuming obsessions, plus the idea that autistic people are good with numbers and other fine, minute, detail-oriented things.
If you weren't a newfag, you would understand this. Or maybe you're just stupid. Either way, go back to tumblr.

Rail signals divide lengths of track into "blocks". Only one train is allowed to be in any block at any one time. So if you make an intersection of tracks a single block, then it will prevent collisions. If a train is in a block, the signal directly preceding that block will turn red, stopping another train from entering it. Chain signals check both the block that it precedes AND the next block, so if a train is in either block, then it will stop another train from entering. This is useful for things like roundabout-intersections (my favorite on double-track rail systems) because it will only allow one train on the roundabout at any one time, preventing the possibility that two trains will enter it and then block each other from going forward, bringing the entire network to a standstill.

But seriously, if you've never dealt with them before (like played Transport Tycoon) then rail signals are very unintuitive and difficult to understand. I'd recommend watching a tutorial.

Look idk in get this loginscreen whenever I get to connect to the server. If you got a link to a cracked version, provide then thy will receive

does lab research speed just speed up research speed, or does it consume the science packs faster to do so?

That being said, people who actually have autism are terrible at games like these.
Having aspergers (functioning autist) is one thing, actual full-blown autism means you can't even string together a sentence. Most people with aspergers are still shit at logistics.

I hate banished.

mainly because by the third winter i've expanded so much that fuckers won't share their fucking food so the farmers starve first then everyone else dies because I can't allocated them fast enough and they don't seem to work when hungry. I want slaves, damn it! Breed and give me slaves!
is a good game tho

Aww yiss.

Is Colonial Charter still the best Banished mod or is there something else out there that's pretty good? Failing that, is there another alternative to Banished that's pretty good?
I like the way Banished works as a village builder, but I'm running out of steam 180 hours in…

Build markets.

rolled a nice comfy map, complete with a private fishing lake and natural dock. No natural borders, and in fact where all my setups are there was a nest sitting right above it so the natives are mad already.

Don't remember ore frequency being this common on normal settings though, what the fuck happened.

Christ there's no reason watching this should be so satisfying. Why does watching an automated system work so satisfying?

I tried so hard not to spaghetti at the beginning but then it just happened

This is what peak performance looks like

A few more examples of what all of us should strive for

It's 15.12 now, as long as you're on the same version it should work with pirated copies. I turned off the verification check in the config, that's all you need to make pirates able to play as far as I know.

Also here's a magnet for 15.12 from KAT
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e97291836dadac3b53eba5cc259133c75f4a11e7&dn=Factorio+v0.15.12&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

Why are you putting only two miners per belt? That can't possibly be enough to saturate them.

Goddamn otterdragon following me everywhere.

Opinions on this game?

I like the music.

And i like asian stuff, so how's the gameplay? Is it worth spending days into it?

This game makes me question whether I really am autistic

I need a reason to build stuff, Terraria kind of just ends when you complete everything, there's no reason to keep going on. You don't need to sustain resources or defend your home or do anything, an arena for invasions/events and maybe a plant farm are just about the only things that keep being relevant at endgame. I'm a drawfag so building these massive elaborate structures that serve no purpose feels like a worse version of drawing.

I'm not much of one for city builders but I enjoyed it for a few hours. I remember the timescale was weird.

By the time you research those levels those miners will have run out.

Solid sierra city builder.
Not as challenging as Pharaoh/Cleopatra and not as fun as Zeus/Poseidon but still very good.

If you have borderline OCD like I do you might find the feng shui mechanic a little frustrating because while is relatively east to get perfectly adequate feng shui its virtually impossible to get absolutely perfect feng shui without having weird looking blocks.

I want to delve into transport management autism with Cities in Motion, but I don't know which one is better. Could some user give a quick rundown on the differences between them?

Sorry, but you have terminal phase's retardation, only God can help you.

Pick one.

They're both sub-par games. Play OpenTTD or Simutrans.

that game nearly killed me with lethal levels of autism

OpenTTD looks a lot like the Transport Fever which was released last year. You have to transport people and goods, stations have a catchment, there are trains, plains and trucks. What makes OpenTTD so good?

i accidentally a penis

Care to elaborate?
I tried OpenTTD, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I want to build efficient and realistic spaghetti interchanges, and Cities: Skylines just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

god damnit I knew I should have censored my name

anyway I dont know I thought it'd be enough. It's keeping up right now

24 fucking smelters isn't enough to supply this spaghetti of it's iron, what a pain

and before the criticisms come up, the random speed module table is so i can rush for logistics robots asap

the solar panel table is to get solar power running because holy shit is this setup power hungry

and that disconnected blue science is in case I decide to add more labs to this setup.

That is just plain silly to say such a thing. Does minecraft end when you get that diamond pickaxe as well? There are lots of these games with clear end points where progression stops but a creative person knows they can continue building for thousands of hours. Or if you're one of those guys who likes to impose some self made handicaps that's a pretty fun way to do stuff too. Making hardcore/mediumcore playthroughs using only one specific weapon type or adding even more interesting rules like not being allowed above ground. There is always much more to do with a little imagination.

Terraria is much more linear, you go to the end and then what? You can do essentially everything forever without a base, you don't need to craft anything except maybe ammo if you're ranged.

Minecraft still requires you to farm food, craft armor/pickaxes, get enchantments, mob-proof your base unless you want to get it blown up by creepers, you can set up beacons in important locations, you can do interesting automation with redstone, and you may want mob farms for bonemeal/arrows/gunpowder/experience. There's a reason to build and use a proper base no matter how many diamond pickaxes you have.

Doing a new run on hardcore or whatever disincentivizes you to build fancy things, because once the run is over you probably want to go back to your main character/map anyway.

Factorio is more like minecraft in this sense too, you can always scale up and speed your production and expand to new ore patches, the game never runs into a standstill like Terraria does.

Locomotion is superior to openTTD

send help

user please, my boner can't take it

I think you reversed an underground belt here.

There's vomit on his power armor already.

Finally automating rockets and satellites. Running into space issues in my base so I can't make it faster without doing some significant reorganizing. I thought infinite research would be very difficult to do, but each satellite gives 1000 science packs and I underestimated just how many that is.

Also since when does rocket fuel give vehicles a 180% speed boost?

Yeah I also forgot to connect the plastic on the right side. It was pretty difficult to get all the different stuff fit in there.

I'm playing Bob's modpack since vanilla got boring, and it's the polar opposite of satisfying. Everything has a vast list of requirements, and many, seemingly minor, items need some complex component which requires a rare ore that lies under hundreds of biters and some obscure chemical which needs half a dozen steps to produce. This piles up into a huge mess of compromises, temporary solutions, shoddy fixes and spaghetti that makes me ragequit after three hours of building and noticing that I again only made minimal progress towards my goals. It's not even a good pain, yet I still keep coming back.
Kill me.

It's more fun in multiplayer since you can have someone else work on the obscure chemical and you can do the other steps or vice versa. In vanilla there's only so many steps and someone else it probably going to start working on it before you and if you try to help it just ends up fucking up their design.

Oh yeah, different fuels give different speeds now. You can't just fill your trains with fucking wood and expect them to not suck, now.

Beautiful.