Levels that aren't exactly good or bad, but really fucking tedious Thread

Post em. I've been replaying Banjo Tooie recently and I just finished this level today. Jesus christ this last felt like it lasted forever.

This entire fucking game.

Any shitty fighting game with cheating fucking AI.

I remember despising Grunty Industries even back when I first played it at release. Just a really fucking confusing level.

Any mission that involves protecting something with a lifebar while you are being attacked.

This is why Yooka Laylee was gonna suck, DKC and Banjo were successful accidents.

I think Grunty Industries was as bad as it was because they tried to overcompensate and add too many detours you need to accomplish before going onto what at first glance looks like the main path. I'd imagine it was at one point in development much more streamlined and changed it because they thought it was too simple or something, especially for a later level.

And the level design could have changed this for the better, but instead they decided for the most linear game possible.

Grunty Industries wasn't nearly as bad that ship level from DK64. DK64 was a fucking mess but I love it for that.

I'll never really forgive this game.

When it said that it was a massive map with a single alien that they focused on the AI, I imagined a game where you have to outsmart the alien. Figure out where it is, throw it off your trail and try and lead it to the other side of the map before you start doing repairs, attempts for sealing off sections of the ship or other things.

Instead I got a linear 'throw the distraction' stealth game that just sends the alien at you when you pass a trigger.

Pathologic, holy shit. Great atmosphere, great story, fuck the gameplay.

Sewers from VtM:B. I didn't thought they were bad or good, or tedious for the first time but after replaying it they're really tedious

So much fucking backtracking.

Nigga that shit lasts like 10 minutes…
Not even ah uge Cave Story fan but THAT's your reason for not replaying?

All of Dark Souls 2 outside of most of the DLC

Fuck this whole side quest. As if repeating the game 4 times isn't tedious enough, here's a map that you have to fight 6 of the most aggravating mini-bosses just to enter, that's filled with annoying as fuck monsters and shit items, all for a class that's only useful for abusing the fuck out of the brave system.

dude cave story is a shit game.

Childhood is thinking the Water Temple was hard. Adulthood is realizing it was really just a tedious mess.

Dude like totally dude… like dude Call of Duty WWII looks so rad, like holy shit duuuuude.

This isn't exactly a "level", but much of the post-game of Environmental Station Alpha is tedious as fuck. For example, one of the very last puzzles involves equipping one upgrade at a time to access different room, each of which contains a hint for a specific area on the map. You then have to go to the exact locations described by these hints and type in a code that you had to find by exploring a nonsensical maze. These places are all over the map. With this puzzle and several other post-game puzzles combined, I think you end up running around the entire map at least three times, assuming you know exactly where to go and what to do. It's a shame, because the rest of the game is great, and it's incredibly interesting discovering the secrets of the game in the post-game. But I just completely lost interest in doing it "legit" by the last third of the post-game and just found a guide.

Childhood is opening the wrong door first and having to start the entire fucking game over again.
Who in the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Inverted Clock Tower in Symphony of the Night.

By the time you reach it nothing there can damage you for more than one point, but there are not clear platforms for the gear puzzle and medusa heads everywhere so it takes way longer than it should.

the biggest problem is having to equip the boots from the start menu

You don't ever have to restart the game. There's just a single key that's a bit out of the way that some people have difficulty finding.

I'd argue the entire inverted castle. There's nothing new to explore, and the castle isn't really designed for traversal while upside-down. And half the castle is filled with some of the most tediously repetitive music in the entire franchise.

This man speaks the truth

Halo CE: The Library and the Flood-ship level in Halo 3 bit hard ass.

Is it worth playing?

That game emulates really well. I should replay it. The 3DS version just felt really different. Water Temple wasn't bad, the rest of the dungeons were pretty darn fun

Swamp levels. Fuck 'em they're always so tedious.

I actually had a pleasant surprise when playing through Hexen the other day. Darkmere immediately starts with you on a ledge and some rotten trees you destroy. Next room is a rotting building in a swamp, which leads to two paths full of more flowing swamp, hidden enemies, and more ruins.

It ended up being a pretty fun level, because right after the swamp was a small castle. It had enough variety to be different, and the swamp bits weren't as sloggish as I thought they'd be. Overall I'm actually really enjoying the varied level design here.

Not as bad as the Labyrinth imo, can't get over how long-but-cramped the rooms are

The fucking Junkyard from Legend of Mana.

Actually, that game had so many tedious levels I don't know how they managed that, but Junkyard is probably the worst offender of them.

I never even beat this game. I almost killed myself when I finally played Doom as a teenager and realized what I'd missed out on.

i would agree but i enjoyed how surreal it was. however the music did eventually drive me nuts

this shit is the worst

The Helm's Deep level in The Two Towers in the PS2. The whole game was tedious to be honest.

Dont know how different it was on the ps2 but it was my favorite level on the xbox version.

Venus Lighthouse was a fun, challenging end-game dungeon but fuck me if getting into the level was tedious.
Babi Lighthouse and the Tunnel Ruins were beyond tedious and filled with monsters that could body your party if they were underlevelled.
Also good luck farming for the Kikuichimonji if you're a completionist or want the best weapon for Ivan

This, I normally hate dark souls pvp, but the most fun I can have with this fucking game is being a cancerous shit with an ultra greatsword in belfry sol.

The library from Halo 1.
It's just 3 corridors copy pasted over and over again with a "wait here for couple of minutes and fight waves of enemies" garbage.

90% of the levels randomly generated by Daggerfall fit perfectly in that category.

Dark link's room and presentation and the tone of the dungeon do a lot to save it. Not enough obviously.

I started playing Dark Souls 3 for the first time recently and the first few levels come to mind, but especially Crucifixion Woods and Farron Keep.
Plus none of the enemies in either area are interesting to fight and the environments don't have any particularly memorable features, just a swathe of indistinct blobs of brown. They're boring to fight through because all of the enemies, apart from those jumping faggots, are easy to kill and they're boring to look at to boot. There's nothing really to explore, either, other than a handful of ruined towers (though to be fair one of them does lead to an optional, much better area). The rest is just flat pools of knee-high water and a few hills, which every other swamp level in the series has managed more than. Demon's and the first Dark Souls swamps had impoverished and rickety settlements to explore, Bloodborne's had lots of caves (and took place during daylight so it stood out from every other area in the base game) and Dark Souls 2's at least had a giant windmill to serve as a landmark.

I feel the game gets considerably better a few levels after that but the first couple of hours of Dark Souls 3 are such a massive slog.

It's not a particularly hard level, it just takes so long for such little payout and XP.
You could do Cook Off in the same amount of time and get $10,000,000+.

the levels that are not terrible in dark souls 2

Any forced stealth level in an otherwise action game.

Jedi Outcast comes to mind. Guns, lightsabers, force powers galore, and then out of nowhere it's random stealth mission time.