Favorite atmosphere in video games

Personally, I adore both an animated or dark fantasy setting. I love the feeling of angsty, emo bullshit mixed with a castle's many hallways and an assortment of weird characters. Twilight Princess was a perfect example of this done right.
Ironically enough, this kind of style is what I absolutely despised in high school, but as I got into college, my tastes developed and slowly the "dark" genre started to grow on me.

Anything animated in a manner to really portray a sense of "other-worldliness" can be really fun. Okami, being the best example, felt like it took place in another dimension entirely. God, I loved every minute of it.

What the fuck is my first picture I didn't fucking post that picture what the fuck

I'm confused, are you asking for my favourite atmosphere in vidya (i.e. that from a single game) or my favourite type of setting? It seems like you want the latter.

Remove papist.

Can't beat these two in terms of atmosphere.

You were predestined to post him.

Ancient ruins a best, especially ones that convey a loss of grandeur rather than just scattered random pillars

i desire late that 80s/90s anime vision of cyberpunk in a video game so badly. they accidentally achieved an insanely cool atmosphere in most sci-fi because they dressed like the 80s, had technology still impossible in the present, but at the same time didn't successfully predict things like the cell-phone so you get this dated charm despite there being efficient space travel or sentient AI

>>>/christian/

You don't have to be a Christian to know that the Reformation was a good idea and that Calvinism lead to some of the best mainstream branches of Protestantism (e.g. Presbyterianism).

You're clearly not an American.

But why?

I'm making something not dissimilar.
Idea is the game is one ridiculously fucking large city that never ends. Lots of neon lights with only pockets of people living in the safer areas. No quests markers, no maps, and your only bit of guidance is "find the end of the city." Aesthetic is entirely inspired by old westaboo/cyberpunk anime and novels.
You do quests, explore, find something new, sell shit, buy ammo and guns, move on, and always find something new no matter where you go. First person shooter, Source Engine, based off shit I posted about in the AGDG thread but abandoned the gameplay ideas keeping only the aesthetic. Soundtrack is 2814 style vapourwave, synth, and futurefunk.
I'm too embarrassed to post the fact that I gave up on my original idea yet in favour of this one because I have little to show for this idea yet. The idea of making a walking simulator with actual gameplay is a risky one anyway.

Do bear in mind that the evangelical craziness has only been a major thing in the USA for the last ~5 decades.
Also note how I said Calvanism and related doctrines, not Protestantism as a whole, were the best parts of the Reformation.
It's also pretty self-evident that in Europe protestant nations have done far better economically and politically than have Catholic nations. Remember that even France has a successful military coup in fucking 1958. Hell Germany rebuilt her economy twice.
This probably constitutes Holla Forumsshit that we shouldn't be discussing on Holla Forums. I blame OP but I suppose it's partly my fault.

I personally like shallow water worlds/ruins. There's something I find visually pleasing about partially submerged areas, especially if it's coastal.

Dark Souls.
Mount and Blade.
Gothic 1.

Dark fantasy is GOAT, famalams.

Is M&B dark fantasy? I never got that from it.

it's dark from a certain point of view

Metroid Prime. I just want to explore isolated alien environments to the sounds of serene music.

patriarchal tastes

overdone but good

You're a pure soul too pure and good for this world. your choice is niche and excellent and we need more of this

Rapture was fun but i believe the atmosphere could've been better. too much brown and bloom on corridors, could've put more effort in making them distinct to a certain degree. I like bioshock for its gameplay. For a city underwater we didn't see much mechanics or atmosphere linking it to the fact its underwater besides leaving through glass tubes to another building once in a while. Would be cool to have subs, water drain rooms, water flooding, semi flooded rooms,a boss fight with a plasmid infested big shark. being able to swim and have some flooded rooms, etc.
It was just brown and bloom corridors mostly.
potential but only if done with detail

Agreed. Way better than shit like Mass Effect.

The Last Guardian has some really pleasant environments. I spent a good fifteen minutes just hanging about in that first lake you reach at the start.

I'd say it's low fantasy, not dark.

I want to defile christ-tan

Wish they'd have more "Fantasy based on reality" settings. And I don't mean more of the product placement-fest that was Final Faggotry XV.

There needs to be an entire game built around the water temple. Aesthetically it was one of my favorite temples in the game. Gameplay wise not so much of course. Dark Link battle is fucking god tier when it comes to set up and delivery. It's such a fucking memorable introduction to a mini boss. Shame the battle itself was pretty bland.

Also my pick is places with glowing flora/fungi. Doesn't have to be in a cave, can be on an alien planet or something. But I fucking love this shit.

Genuinely dark nighttime environments

You wandered into the wrong imageboard schlomo.
Prepare for a holy beatdown.

I love that artist's stuff.

Reminds me of some of the Hawken maps, shame the game just kind of died.

Witcher 1's atmosphere and music are so great. I really feel immersed in the world they created. The game has a lot of flaws, but the charm it has brings me back to it.

When I was a kid and had no Internet access I used to run around empty maps in Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch pretending what it's like to play these games with real people.
This feeling of loneliness in some isolated real-life-like "arena" is the best aesthetic I have ever experienced.

I don't really know why, but I like storms/rainy environments in video games. I love storms in general so maybe that's just it.

Same. Shame they're almost always a big drain on CPU.
Gothic really is a masterpiece.

Urban ruins, industrial complexes, underground complexes and tunnels. Preferrably with old tech and with a heavy atmosphere. STALKER, Fallout, Underrail fall into that category nicely.

Can't really name many games that had good rain.
The only thing that comes to mind is the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

these are in both games, though

Deserts. I prefer Egyptian over Levantine styles though. Especially when combined with dark elements like Diablo 2's second act, or any number of vague Lovecraft-inspired plots out there.

That was my thinking, not that there's anything wrong with low fantasy mind.