ITT: Shitty third games

Sequels are usually at least decent even today, but for whatever reason the classic saying "third time's the charm" more and more does not fucking apply.

What comes off the top of your head?

This piece of shit

Checks out tbh

The GBA Soundtrack was fucking kickass though.

Does anyone even buy anything online other than BFG Edition for the the first 2 games?

Please elaborate

Saints Row the Third, SR4 versus Saints Row 2.
The Good – Better Graphics, Upgradable Weapons. Easier driving.

The Bad – Everything else when compared to Saints Row 2.

The Story went from Cheesy shit mixed with some real dramatic moments, to 100% cheese, all the time. When a game balances the wacky bullshit with the serious stuff, it's gold. But when a game goes too far in either direction, it turns to shit.
ie: GTA4 went too far serious. SR3 went too far stupid. While GTASA and SR2 were perfectly balanced.
Both Franchises are shit now, who would have figured? Anyway

tl;dr, everything that let you make a unique character in SR2 is removed from all games following. In the first two games, it was rare to see another player with the same exact outfit or customizations. In the last 2 games, it's rare to see someone who is not wearing the same exact thing.
You could edit your walking style.
If you wanted your female character to be sultry with her walk? you got it. Wanted a guy with a sultry female walk? No judgement , it's your character.
SR2 let you become intimate with your characters details.
SR3 let everyone pick from roughly the same set of figurines and color them in accordingly
I'm not even going to rant about how they changed all the clothing options to DLC in 3 and 4.

Literally every non story NPC in SR3 and onwards is the same. They don't do anything that shows they're alive, like they did in SR2. You could catch them using their laptops in the park, sitting down smoking, drinking coffee, having chitchats with each other, like it was the fucking Sims on full Auto. That was really fucking neat and it made it feel just a little bit better when you decided to ruin their day.

Fuck. Every modern sandbox game suffers from this shit these days. A vast fucking world and nothing to fucking do but look at it.
GTA5? WOW LOOK AT HOW VAST AND ZzzzzZzzzzZZzzzzzzzzz
Saints Row 3? LOOK AT THIS HUGE CITY…. Shame there's nothing to do.
Saints Row 2? Look at this medium sized city , look at all the shit you can do just by walking down the street. Walk into club, chill in the liquor store, walk into various clothing stores and harass people, even walk into the hospital, pick up a wheelchair and assault a couple of doctors.

The previous point but seriously. You could pick up mailbox and just throw it at a car in SR2. Grab a wheelchair and go on a rampage. Rescue Johnny ONLY THROWING FUCKING CHAIRS AT PEOPLE. If you wanted to, of course.

That was another charm of SR2, you could replay any mission, at any time. Meanwhile, the more advanced games? "It can't handle it"

I get triggered like a tumblrina when a developer says shit like that. You're telling people, that the new engine cannot do a fraction of what the old engine can do? Why the fuck did you even switch then?

It is a joke

It's bait you dingus

Sonic Advance 3 wasn't that terrible as you describe. This is the only game where they put whole support character gimmick to full use.

this is mediocre compared to it's predecessors, I thought this thread was about steaming piles of shit.

that said, Dead Space 3

As a general rule, I've noticed that either the second or the third game is the odd man out. Either the developers go "something new and different!" with the second game, and then return to the same style as the first game when making the third (usually due to fan complaints), or they stick too close to the formula for the second one, get complained about the game being too similar, and then go radically different for the third one.

For instance, Metroid Prime and Prime 2 Echoes are very similar games; Echoes adds some keys and compartmentalizes the game a bit into three major sections, but most of the powers are the same or similar, the main gameplay loop is similar, they both take place in singular worlds, et cetera. Prime 3 Corruption, however, switches it up a lot. Your beams are all combined into one, you've got a relatively short list of places you can go and explore outside the main path, there are several NPCs with speaking roles (many of whom you end up killing before long), and in general it's a lot heavier on story than the previous entries. Similarly, Dark Souls. 2 deviated pretty far in setting and mechanics, while 3 brought it back to 1's setting and lore and undid some of the mechanical changes (RIP dual-wield stance). It obviously doesn't help that 2 started out as a story-heavy game under its original director, of course. Even the Super Mario Bros trilogy on the original NES falls into this trap (if you're talking about SMB2J and not Doki Doki Panic) - SMB2 is practically a level expansion for SMB1, with very few new mechanics at all. Not even any new music. Doom and Doom 2 and Doom 3, same thing.

There are relatively few series where all three games are appreciably different and even fewer where all three are the same. It seems like developers run out of good ideas by the end of the second game and have to change things up quite a bit for the third game to feel interesting.

God SR2 was fantastic. I need to replay it at some point. I did feel SR4 was a big improvement over 3, but they really do need to go back and look at SR2 and all the things it did right and reevaluate what they're doing. Maybe do an HD rerelease kind of thing like the Darksiders guys did to prepare for making Darksiders 3.

Aw, shucks

Diablo 3 is certainly below fucking mediocre.

All of them.

I guess the bar was set so high by the previous games that it makes the games looks worse than they actually are.

Stilwater entirely and faithfully redone in SR3's engine would be a dream come true. I'd spend years in online coop with my pal on that shit.
I know there's coop for 2 but it barely works, third was very good but steelport's just no good to faff around in

I'm beginning to understand the meaning of the term "template thread".

God Steelport was such a fucking disappointment. So small, so boring, so monotonous. I was annoyed that they decided SR4 should be set there instead of Stillwater; I actually liked the superhero mechanics of 4 and would have loved to go back to the city from SR2 again. I'm starting to think I need to reinstall SR2 and start it up again.

Is there a rule about the third game having the number 3 in it's title?

almost forgot this one.

I knew something was deeply wrong about the third when I beelined to the airport and found out you couldn't fucking enter it. One of the main reasons Stilwater was so good was because you could enter a lot of shit missions would never take you to. Of course now we know they managed to fuck it up in 3, but it seemed like keeping that trait around was such a no brainer.
I will, however, note that Steelport is more fun in SR4 than 3, entirely because you find out the city had a strange focus on verticality. With the super agility you can access a lot of shit vehicles could never reasonably take you to. It doesn't make it good, but it is discovering a new dimension.

but fishermans bait 3 was the best one of the series

There was a Fisherman's Bait 3? I thought that it was just called Big Ol' Bass 2.

Fun fact: the lady who composed the music for the SNES version also voiced Joanna Dark.

Agreed on all counts. SR4 isn't a magical fix for how bad 3 was, but it is a hell of an improvement - I think the superpowers were the right place to go for the series, even if the story was batshit retarded to the point of needing a full reset. I still miss the clothing from 2, though - they oversimplified the system in 3 and it removed a lot of the fun customization. In an ideal world I'd win the lottery, buy Volition (among other studios), have them stop whatever the hell this bullshit is, and first make SR2HD with a proper PC port and good driving, and then have them reimagine SR4 so it doesn't involve Presidents, aliens, Matrices, time travel, or whatever the fuck they turned Shani into, and instead drop the gang in Stillwater with drug-induced superpowers, like they had from the DLC for SR3.

I'm counting SWTOR as the third KOTOR.

but emerald's the best one

Forgot my embed.

The post itself was bait
Fuck it I'm downloading an ISO to play it again.

and this post was a joke

dino crisis 3

We're getting meta levels that shouldn't be possible

I could think of some other examples but I think it only counts if the first two were good

Wasn't Dark Souls III conceptually supposed to be an apology for II?

No. If you can make a case for being the third installment "3" or not and it's shit, it fits.

But extra points for the previous 2 actually being good.

This game gets a lot more shit than it deserves

Infinite mad
Especially about the settlers

Third games, not sixth ones.

u must not be very smrt anonn

Grrrr!!!!

Doom 3 is a fine game. It's a shit DOOM tho

I honestly didn't like LTTP that much.

Sonic Advance 3 was great, and brought a new mechanic to the formula.

Okay, yeah this deserves to be in this thread.

Fuck that game.

10/10

It sure wasn't great all the way. The game was very much "Okay" for the most part. Sunset Hill and Cyber Track were actually great, and Chaos Angel may be the best zone in a 2d Sonic. Other than those though it was very meh

Can we really count AssCreed 3 as the third entry, there was Brotherhood and Revelations.

I'd even say because of the standard set by the second game that the 3rd is a total piece of shit in comparison

Good point, but I consider those two spinoffs.

Also, BF3 isn't the third Battlefield either, but they name it that anyways, because fuck it, why not.

?

a contributor into the de-evolution of fighting games into floaty nonsense
also, I'm a little salty about hsien-ko

I wanna fuck his mouth

Are you fucking turbo retarted 3 is leagues better than 2

Sonic Advance 1 was the only good Advance game.

The only thing I remember about age of empires 3 is there was a cheat that let you drive around a monster truck and fuck everyone up.

But the first two weren't any good either.

You crazy motherfucker.

Wrong, RS is much better then RBY and is slighty better then GS.

Also, Emerald is great, but Platnium, HGSS, and arguably gen 5 are better and ORAS is about as good, better in some ways and worse in others

Let's mix it up, some of those are confirmations of the 3rd game is shit theory, some are exceptions. Are you a bad enough dude to spot which is which ?

Too easy, please step up your game. It has to be Rayman and Clocktower.

The fuck are you smoking.

How do people still call Advance 2 a bad game?

Don't pull hold right to win because I can personally testify to that being bullshit.

Well, whether you're talking about the good or the bad ones, you're wrong.

arkham knight ain't the 3rd one, unless you discount origin for not being made by the same dev team.

Half Life 3.

:(

Of course I discount origins for not being made by the same dev team.

Clock Tower 3 was unpolished to shit, but it was a pretty okay game still.

user if you're so bugged make your own damn thread

Oh, and to contribute.

I don't get this. Having played Asylum, City and Origins back to back I still have no idea how Asylum is "the best one" or how City or Origins are any different, sans one not having shit bosses.

To be honest, while SH3 was probably the best one technically and Horror-wise, it lacked the comfy element that SH1 and SH4 had, and SH2 (to lesser extent).

I'm talking about the complete lack of hub world. SH1 had the Town, which had some pretty comfy areas, SH2 had the town also (to lesser degree). Likewise, SH4's room was (when not terrifying) extremely comfy, looking through windows, spying on Eileen (?) and uncovering it's hidden elements through the game.

Silent Hill 3 on the other side was pure terror all the way. There was no unifying element to my recollection. It was horror in it's purest sense, 10/10. Other than that, I wouldn't go back to it.

Max Payne 3 was better than 2. There, I said it.

why do you do the things you do

user That doesn't make sense, there are 3 Drakengardes and 2 neirs

XXIII was so shit LR is the best in the trillogy

How doesn't 2 count

God I can feel your hipster stink from here.

Taro didn't go anywhere near it, and it shows.

Rayman 3 is fantastic

You can call him Kamiya, it's ok, I know

Dragon Song is the fourth game. Walking School counts.

Saints Row 3 but it has been said a lot of times already.
I've actually played SR2 recently and it hit me just how old this game is already. You know how I realized it? I played the FUZZ activity, encountered the Pirates vs. Ninjas event and the police scanner mentioned "fighting internet memes", pronouncing memes as "mee-mees".

I think Kamiya isn't actually Taro, I know it might seem like crazy talk but I have proof

BW had no fucking content, though, and were way too short. That game could have been great, but it's held back to the point of mediocrity as a video game by that alone.

Always bet on lightning

It's just such an ugly game. You can't even kill the peeps

Elder Scrolls was never good.

Rushed out to make Capcom more shekels, would've been a great game if they actually gotten time to finish it.
X3 on the other hand is a great game though.

Here's the real Doom 3.

Wasn't 64 just a higher quality port of the first compared to SNES?

I have proof otherwise

Meanwhile…

It was actually it's own unique game, made by the same team who did the PS1 port of Doom, it has it's own set of levels, graphics, and music, and it's more ambient based than the Doom games on PC.

nice b8

It's intended by name alone to be the next big installment, so why not? That's the kind of thing we judge if it sucks ass.

How rehashed was Origins? It was a fun and solid game, but I hear they copypasted Arkham City with tweaks to look more like Gotham at Christmas.

Origins is clearly the arkham city map, extended a bit to the south, and repaired to an intact but mostly boring city. WB was also clearly inspired by nolan since everything seems more high-tech in it.
That said, while it was lukewarm at best at release, it compares so favorably to Arkham Knight it's sad. It's more City passed through a filter you may or may not like, but that's objectively more enjoyable than Rocksteady sabotaging their game with a fucking omnipresent batmobile and irrelevant sidekicks. So my ranking is Asylum=City>Origins>Knight. Still, Knight is the third game in the trilogy and Origins a spin-off.

For all the hype normalfags and shills made for this dindu nuffin simulator, that's pretty embarassing

Origins is personally the only game I'd get aside from Asylum once I finally save up enough for a PS3. After Persona 5 and KH2.5.

Love the setting, improvements from City and new features along with the bosses.

ITT: bait

Kill yourself

Fuck off Inafune, MM3 was good game.

Making a sequel is different from making a new game. The third time should be the charm on the fourth game in the franchise - the third attempt at a sequel. This is also why the third game is so terrible.

You first. That game was gorgeous and fun. And the damned dentist made me scream.

kill yourself elitist tard

Think of trilogies. Shouldn't the last naturally be expected to take everything people love about it so far and make it even better with a healthy amount of experimentation as well as polishing of what's already there?

I think Jak 3 is a perfect example of this. It takes what was actually enjoyable about the second game and brings back more of an emphasis on platforming, adventure and Eco powers while making weapons much more fun.

Metroid was fucked since the beginning, if it wasn't for smash that bitch of samus would have been left for dead.

Just pointing out that calling out bait isn't the same as taking it.

New features, like the detective mode sequences? Those are neat but few and far between, the rest is mostly recycled from City.

Things like Batman scaling buildings and dealing with crime on an average night as lovely snow blankets the sky and city all around during a festive colorful time like Christmas and hunting down strategically diverse attackers after his head yet not feeling like an oppressive force unlike the events of City is the kind of thing that makes me want to pick up a controller more. I can jump in at my leisure and enjoy everything I like about Batman and his setting without any sense of urgency to attend to while not crippling the gameplay experience.

I consider atmosphere to be a very important part of making simply navigating through a game enjoyable through the appearance of the setting itself and the feel from the music at times. Digimon World Dawn suits this well enough for me, though its areas could use more openness.

Basically the same thing I thought except Chaos Angel.

The stages are full of so many awkward platforming sections that bring everything to a halt just because of those shitty fucking switches. I don't know how any anons that point out what's shitty about solid or even great games in other threads don't say anything about the shit Sonic Advance 3 did the entire time with shit enemy placement up the ass, sudden crush hazards, spikes everywhere, sudden bottomless pits and other gimmicky shit that just gets in the way of playing a Sonic game like the shitty seesaws from Sonic 2 that no one asked to come back that are everywhere in the first area alone for no reason.

bait but mgs3 is the worst mgs

What about godly third games in an otherwise meh series?

I thought 4 was the worst?

Peace Walker is much worse than 4 and 3.

Don't remind me.

I'm salty about Arthur and Firebrand even though Firebrand was viable. This game also made me hate Jean Grey, Strider, and Magneto (Fuck you for ruining Strider, Max).

It took three iterations to make it good (NG was really meh, but it had a good soundtrack). Unfortunately for the last iteration, the fgc went to a whole new level of elitist autism that pushed so many people away from a decent game (you were given Hell if you picked tops, shit-tiers, or even a non-meta super art). Third Strike's community is still pretty bad. Third Strike's meta is shit.

Great looking game with an interesting style mechanic. Shit roster, shit balance, matches were too short, some styles were pointless, and it was way too gritty and pretentious for it's own good despite the shitty translation.

The beginning of SC's downfall. Atrocious balance (Rock was useless, Sophitia and Xianghua were flat out broken), it was easy to lose your data, and Chronicles was a shitty side mode.

So how different is Monster Rancher from other mon games aside from death, which turns me off it, and how'd the third one fuck up? Apparently someone else agrees, so now I'm serious.

2 felt incomplete and they fucked the bullet time mechanics up

I think it's just safe to say this:

For every sequel made in a series the chance of failure increases exponentially due to a huge number of variables from devs experimenting with game design, publisher/IP ownership interference, and possibly the biggest damn culprit dev studio staff changing by company politics or just wanting to do something different and moving on. Usually it's changing studios or the staff in a studio that kills it. Just take a look into how ME:Andromeda was put together for a case study in this phenomenon. I consider these the quite literal cancer of games ending their life cycle. Some series have continued to this day but mainly by pure fandom kikery and hype PR campaigns and even those could be considered on life support. See, any fucking nintendo title. Only name I ever had for this is sequelitis and why I'm wary of any game IP that goes past 2 games.

As for thread all my shitlisters I can think of right now have been listed.

Take your nostalgia googles off, Max Payne 1 & 2 were shit. 3 was the only good one.

Which I don't fucking get when it's the same people. See

Yeah, but a lot of factors go into it like the other user said. People move around on jobs a lot and where the first game might have been a passion project or fluke by the time the third game pops out a lot of things may have changed. You see it in a lot of professions that someone finally gets the dream job or completes a major goal and their passion is tamed somewhat and they're just going through the motions.

The first 2 MR games had death, but sometimes death gave you new monsters like ghosts, evil dolls, and tree spirits. 2 changed up certain deaths by having aliens fly back home to die, or a phoenix flies somewhere else to die. 3 replaces that stuff with a system where your dead monsters become hearts that boosts the stats of your new monster. 4 and Evo dropped death all together by making them "retire" early.

The third one fucked things up because they got rid of a lot of popular breeds for shit ones like Octopee and Momo (they were absolutely horrible to level and train). Some of the new designs are really bad too (apparently word is Tecmo somehow lost the rights to some of the monster designs, which explains why Joker doesn't look like a clown anymore. Leveling monsters wasn't fun at all with some of the mechanics (getting new skills was a bitch).

To say NOTHING of how publishers EA runs shit in which they literally witchhunt the original studio team out if they don't comply 100% with their shekel scams. It's a huge complex mess in what makes a good game actually good and a shit game stink like shit. Don't underestimate how much pull the suits have, everything from cutting the budget to outright terminating the staff and importing some shit tier nephew code monkeys to cash in on the fame.

As for Jak 3 that was one of those happy times when if I remember right the devs were largely allowed free run to make it and they actually payed attention to feedback and like any good sequel, polished the formula to a blinding reflective sheen of awesome. Sadly this trend is vanishing as everything's consolidated into the bigshit publishers with tiny fringe indie studios. Any you know what them fat fucks want every time.

Was anything going on behind the scenes besides losing their own IP rights? That much design change sounds like they shuffled in a new dev team who did their own thing without comparing notes with the original crew to avoid pitfalls they already figured out.

the aneemay was alright

This tbh, when they rush a game out to make money but dump 10 times the development budget on advertising with some of these bigger titles.

That anime's animations varied from decent to absolute dog shit.

I don't think anyone, but Lisa Shock knows. She was the only one close to Tecmo, but according to her they might have lost the rights to the anime studio or something (she abused that status like a power hungry cunt).

This corporate faggotry has to be stopped if corruption can get this shit.

Shouldn't they worry about what becomes of their creation? I know I'd do everything I can to completely put something peacefully to rest after I was done with it.

Please explain.

That problem only ever existed with cartridges that save on the game itself, not something fucking external like a memory card. How does that shit even work?

Common misconception, Doom 64 was an entirely new game.

To be fair, I have heard of a few Gen 6 games with bugs that can conceivably corrupt your memory card (Viewtiful Joe 2 and the Jak racing spinoff, I believe).

Your opinion is shit

Jak X I know from experience fucked up this one friend's data endlessly. He actually really liked it, so I vividly remember how much it pissed him off. And not being a fan of the driving segments from Jak 3 in general outside amusingly killing myself by repeating the Wasteland Metal Head mission was all I needed to never even touch the game.

Still doesn't make sense how it fucks with the unit itself. I'd expect a hard drive being something you worry about being corrupted considering its actually integrated with the system and more logically sensitive to shit that outright crashes a game.

*Elder Scrolls was never bad

Doom 3 is a boring game with weak and unresponsive gunplay regardless you're a Doom fan or not. Good graphics though.

Did Carmack help create it or did completely different people do it all on their own?

I should clarify right now that a game doesn't have to be shit altogether, just bad compared to the previous 2. It can also be the worst case scenario of shit in general with 3 slapped on like quite a bit already posted.

I don't absolutely hate Sonic Advance 3. I loved it years ago, but now I can't ignore everything wrong with it, especially compared to previous games released within a mere year of each other yet standing out from each other while still being good in their own right. I cannot find any defense for this game not being bad.

Red Alert 3