When will they finally make a good Superman game?

When will they finally make a good Superman game?

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/ComicList
youtube.com/watch?v=HYSxN4ezhO4
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Kingdom-Come-1996
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Only one thing can save this thread and it's not Superman.

What the fuck is this bullshit? Get this crap the hell out of my thread.

I'm not trying to be political, I'm just saying the Western Games Industry can't make good games because they're too focused on political bullshit, kinda like the comics industry. However to save the thread I'll delete my posts.

The Atari 2600 game was fun.

Also I think Treyarch would make a good Superman game seeing how they're the same guys that made Web of Shadows, I'd alternatively say the Prototype guys, but lord knows what happened with them after Prototype 2.

NES Superman had the most moe Statue of Liberty ever.

Sadly, this. We won't get a proper comic in the west just like we won't get a proper vidya in the west. Normalfags want this bullshit politics in their new "hobby" and we get to suffer for it. Doubly so considering who makes the vidya now.

Never.

Superman is a boring character with boring powers, and that makes for a boring game.

You're painting every developer with an extremely broad brush there, buddy.

NES Superman was moe all over. It was actually pretty unsettling.

There was one. It was called Death and Return of Superman.

Superman is one case where I think making a vast open world would be a good idea.

It could be fun if he is trapped in a fantasy world fighting magical creatures because he is so fucking OP only magic can fuck him up
Or make a game were you play as superman and Clark kent and try hide your secret identity and not to kill criminals or destroy the city with your OP powers

I thought this game was good like 20 years ago but then again I was a child

Here's the non ant version

If they did a what-if story where Superman landed in soviet union instead of kansas and was raised communist, why no story where Superman landed in nazi germany?

They did that one too I think.

Overman is his name, and his costume is badass.

I have only played Superman on N64. Only Superman game that I ever played, and it's actually not as bad as people say because I think flying through all those rings is kinda relaxing.

Not exactly good, though. Just make a platformer (like the fantastic Sunsoft Batman game on NES). Or even easier… make a Superman shmup and make all the enemies shoot kryptonite lasers of some shit, so that he can just die in one shit. Doesn't get any easier than that.

Overthinking and trying to be too loyal to the comics would probably be the worst thing to do. It should be something simple.

Let me guess… they made him more evil than the Soviet one. It's not American if it doesn't do that. Everything made in America has to be made with the intent of destroying Europe and white people. It's the law.

Or maybe not. I don't know shit about comics. I just know that Marvel is definitely like that.

Nope, single handedly won the war, conquered the world and is morally conflicted by cost of victory (killing all the degenerates). Actually a really nice guy, although his wife is a bitch.

Any story of him landing in tacoland?

Superman lands in tacoland, moves illegally to America, gets fat while living on welfare. Steals shit.

I guess that would be it. That or genocide.

There's Justice League: Gods and Monsters, which is an animated movie about an alt world Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.
Supes was found by Mexicans instead of the Kents.

Are the Mexicans da monsters..? :'^)

Superman ought to be nerfed in the comics so he can only jump high instead of fly.

what if they made a superman game as an rpg, supes looses all powers, starts to get them one by one, and you get to choose supes to be a good person or not, so genocide all the way, I don't know, it might work.

or take it from childhood, choose where supes landing, and choose the story accourdingly in chapter one and chapter 2 -3 and 4 changes by your actions, kinda like choice based RPG.

but will we get that shit?
hahaha NO!

The Superman Returns game had some good ideas I'd like to see used again if they ever make a new Superman game. I especially liked the city being your health bar, forcing you to watch yourself to keep from destroying the city yourself. The best case scenario for a Supes game would be something along those lines, but with a combat system that's allows you to watch your surroundings to ensure you aren't damaging the city while still feeling super powerful, enemies that don't have gimmicks that make them annoying to fight, and not attached to a shitty movie that drags the whole experience down.

That was basically my idea for it. Have Superman abducted and locked in a cryptonite cell in a prison floating in space. Your goal would be to break out, and as you make way to the outside, there would be less and less cryptonite surrounding you and powers would come back gradually. Ending would be breaking out, having an over the top fight with with full capabilities available, and flight back to the Earth.

Guts wears a cape

You don't need magic, he has other characters that can fight him. If it were a setting filled with Parademons or Brainiac drones or escaped Phantom Zone criminals or Metallos or random Lexcorp robots, or all of these, maybe all controlling a different area of the game. Say Darkseid was invading when Brainiac bottled the city or something. If it gets way too retarded, say Mxy did it.

Overman is awesome, but you wouldn't like him because the premise is that even though the Nazis won, once he took over he regretted a lot of the things Hitler did, and is trying to atone for them.

Ultraman is much more like Nazi Superman, but he's American (though technically on his universe the CSA won, so he is Confederate. But he's also a criminal so maybe he doesn't like that the Confederates won).

It's happened. It gets old. Even the original Golden Age Superman, who could only do that at first (and is technically a different, weaker guy than the main Superman), learned to fly eventually. There have been other stories where main Superman gets weaker for one reason or another, because they think he's too OP, but it always creeps back, because there are too many cool things in his lore that involve absurd powers.

Have Brainiac bottle the city (and any other locations you want to be playable) and bathe it in Red Sunlight, but as you progress through the game you manage to decrease the lamp's power or something. This serves the more important purpose of giving you a story reason why you can't fly around the globe or into space, which is simply unfeasible in a game, at least if you want it to be good.

Batman wears a cloak

i've never read
where do i start?

Superman Secret Origins or Superman Birthright

Both give excellent introductions to Superman. Or you could go with Superman Year One.

All found here:
readcomiconline.to/ComicList

I always thought Superman's fighting style was lame.

The 6 issue Man of Steel mini-series is official canon.

What style? He's a brawler because very little can actually hurt him. Don't need to fight like a badass when you can punch something into nothingness.

The one that goes with the Movie? You are aware that the movies aren't canon right, but a separate universe?

Since Rebirth Superman is the pre-Nu52 Superman, Superman Secret Origins is his official origin, or rather most recent one.

Superman: The Man of Steel for Xbox was pretty good, though I'd have to say Shadow of Apokolips was probably the best one. Also, the game they made to tie in with Superman Returns was somewhat decent.

dont

It doesn't go with the movie. It was made in the late 80s after Crisis on Infinite Earths to restart continuity.

Oh that one.

Yeah that's still way out of date for the new stuff. Not bad to read, but still good.

I thought you meant the one that went with the movie. I was like "Da fuq"

This guy has the right idea. Man of Steel is also good as well.

Just to elaborate, they've redone Superman's origin a bunch of times.

Action Comics #1 is the original one.

Superman #1 from a year later took that story and expanded it a little (like literally took the same pages and added more to the beginning and end).

They retouched his origin a few times in the next couple decades but not in major ways. Just quick recaps that changed little bits here and there.

Man of Steel, by John Byrne, is a 1986 reboot (sorta, as far as newbies need to know) that covers his origin and the first ten years of his career). Went to great lengths to make it more down to Earth, removed more fantastic elements like Superman being Superboy when he was a kid, joining the Legion of Superheroes, and being friends with Lex Luthor. Added a lot of pseudo-science to try to make sense of his powers, and justifications for other bits of his origin. Really solid, classic, and influential story. Got an ongoing series called Superman: The Man of Steel afterwards, also written by Byrne, but it's just regular present day (late '80s) DCU stuff. If you like this though, that's worth reading.

Birthright, by Mark Waid, is the 2004 version of his origin. Deals a bit more with his childhood and stuff. Re-adds some stuff people missed since it was removed in Man of Steel. My personal favorite (even though Waid is a SJW retard).

Secret Origin, by Geoff Johns, is only a couple years newer, from like 2008. Re-adds most of the old stuff that Birthright didn't already re-add, so it's a lot more in line with his most classic origins (meaning the versions from before the '80s). But then by this time the '80s version had become classic. Johns is mega autistic for comic lore, though, so he mostly does a good job at incorporating a lot of things, except for shit he doesn't like. Also a really good story.

Superman and the Men of Steel is by Grant Morrison, known for writing confusing shit that references all sorts of old shit and other stuff that he's written and it makes no sense unless you've read a ton. This is his version of the Superman origin, from 2011. It's really good and uses a lot of elements from adaptations and stuff that actually made sense but never made it to the comics. But it's only the first part of a longer run (the first 8 or so of like 24 issues or something) and a lot of the plot threads don't finish until later. This guy's style isn't for everybody, but people who like it like it a lot. Also, a lot of the stuff is just older stories re-done almost directly, and arguably not as well. But most people wouldn't notice, since they're more obscure stories.

I haven't read Year One.

Superman's origins are usually among his best stories. I recommend reading all of them at some point, if you get into comics.

If you're interested in reading a particular era of comics, you might as well start with that era's origin, though. If you're just interested in whatever, then I tried to give descriptions that might help a little.

Also, protip: downloading (pirating) comics is really easy, much, much cheaper than physical, and the only way to find a lot of stuff that's now out of print. You'll want to look into that.

Don't read Earth One (I fucked up, wasn't Year One) unless you want a (fairly) realistic approach to Superman. He's a super genius, excels at everything, but doesn't want to be in the spotlight as Clark Kent.

Pretty good read, and is much better than the other Earth One titles.

Oh, I've read Earth One, but thought it was pretty boring and didn't bother with the other Earth One titles after hearing they were worse. It felt very short and insubstantial, like it were written to be a tv episode or something. Not terrible, but all the others are a lot better, unless you're looking for a really quick read.

Plus, they neutered the entire point of Earth One, which was to be like DC's Ultimate Universe, a more modern jumping on point for new readers, when they delayed the hell out of all the books, failed to make a cohesive universe out of them, and then launched New 52 anyway, making the main DCU a more modern jumping on point for new readers. Now I don't understand why Earth One even exists. All it does is fuck up the multiverse numbering.

and what happens?

youtube.com/watch?v=HYSxN4ezhO4

You just went full retard

It's not the third or fourth worst game ever, like people like to say. Once you get past the training and get to the actual game it becomes much more tolerable. Still not great since they keep making you do more rings and shit, though.

Yeah not sure why they published it, if they were going with New 52 anyway. I didn't think it was boring, but it wasn't as good as Secret Origins or Birthright for sure.

There are good games where characters swing from buildings, glide or superjump.
Flying doesn't make for great games.
I think you can make a great game about a guy who is super strong and can shoot lasers from his eyes, not with flight though.

Earth One began in like 2009, two years before the New 52. But everything after the very first book was delayed so hard that by the time they came out they were already redundant.

Make it the original Superman before he can fly. He can fight The Ultra-Humanite and Lex Luthor. Or just whoever the fuck else they feel like, because nobody cares about being faithful anyway, but if you tell them "it's the original Superman!" They'll be like "oh yeah I heard he couldn't fly. I get that reference!" And then it will get Big Bang Theory awards.

Flying is done in very few games, not because it doesn't make for a good game, but because of hardware limitations. Moving at the speeds superman flies, you could cross the country. And unless you're going Daggerfall style, there is no way you can put that into detail. Especially not when you take into account the storyline, or gameplay.

are you a butthole surfer or something kiddo?

Fuck off, Lex.

Its just kind of hard to make a game about a guy that's immune to everything.

The first movie wasn't to bad with the city having health instead of you.

t. cuck

Isn't that what Sts. row 4 was about?

I don't understand why everyone jumps to this excuse as a reason why a Superman game wouldn't work. Pic related, Dante gets impaled in every DMC game as far as I'm aware but he can still get killed by the generic mooks. Hell, Supes can die in those Lego games and get his ass kicked by Harley Quinn in Injustice, so I really don't see a problem with sacrificing his invulnerability if it's for gameplay purposes.

That scene still hurts to watch.

I guess that's true but I assume people expect it, kinda like how the batman games have detective shit and fighting cause that's what he's known for.

But that's really only in the Arkham games. There's a ton of Batman games that are just simple beat-'em-ups.

And those are the best ones, Sunsoft Batman is fucking awesome.

He's not immune to everything. Just have him fight other strong guys. You have people who think Goku is stronger than Superman (they're wrong, but still) and Goku has plenty of okay games.

Here you go friend.

You act like never ending Manga is somehow any better

By that logic I should hate all videogames because of Mass Effect.

Captain Marvel deserves better. He could be extremely popular with kids. Think about it, the premise is a kid who transforms into a superhero.

I've never read much "capeshit". Where do I read this, without having to download a bunch of dedicated coming book programs or some shit?

Getcomics.info is my favourite comic site because it's the only one whose name I can consistently remember. Quick tip, the .cbr and .cbz files you'll be downloading from those kinds of sites are actually just .rar and .zip files with a different extension. Comic software reads those types of files, but you can just unzip them and read the images instead.

Or you can buy a trade paperback. Those are your options, because you'll never ever find the actual miniseries at a comic shop.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Kingdom-Come-1996

no there a super hero who has 0 powers, gadgets, money or whatever, his one gimmick is that he's a really good grappler and all he does is storm known gang hideouts and get pulled into shit that's way above his league and he has to bullshit/outwit his way through it?
What I'm saying is I want some guy who's just sightseeing to find himself being held at gunpoint and then suplex the the hostage takers into the hospital.

Sentence got fucked at the start.

Are there any super heroes who have 0 powers, gadgets, money or whatever, but their one gimmick is that they're a really good grappler and all they do is storm known gang hideouts and get pulled into shit that's way above their league and they have to bullshit/outwit their way through it?

What I'm saying is I want some guy who's just sightseeing to find himself being held at gunpoint and then suplex the the hostage takers into the hospital.

Lots of characters get by by just being good fighters. All sorts of martial arts characters. Wildcat is pretty much just a boxer in a cat suit. Hell, even Batman has plenty of stories where he gets in over his head because he busts into a place with too many guns or some shit. Year One being a famous example. But I guess he does use a lot of gadgets.

They tried out a kid-friendly Cap series, though I'm not sure how well it did. Poor bastard doesn't deserve half the shit he's been getting since the 50's.

The Question, I think. I don't know too much about him, but if he's anything like Rorschach, then I'm sure he's probably right up your alley.

Batman's only actual power is high intelligence and physical prowess, which was honed by years of what amount to super secret ninja training.

Am I the only one completely dissatisfied with how Batman is shown to fight? He should be doing some crazy wuxia shit. More Matrix or Monty Oum than "boxing with stealth segments and gadgets".

Correct me if I'm wrong but does Batman fly all over the place in the Arkham games? I remember all sorts of silly flips and shit.
If he were a boxer I'd at least want some really meaty punches instead of the shit that's shown in the Nolan movies.

Rorschach is literally directly based The Question.

The Arkham games let you fly all the way across the room by pressing the punch button in a combo if you do it right. it's the basis of the whole combat system.

Kid-friendly cape comics don't do as well because the audience for comics has been old men for a couple decades now. They're still the ones buying those 'kids comics,' but just sometimes they buy them in the hopes their kids will read them or some shit.

I know, that's why I said it.

I haven't read quite enough comics to get all the references. Who was the ginger guy?

Which one?

The one at the epilogue?

If so, that's the human that The Spectre inhabits, Jim Corrigan. A human cursed by God to become the spirit of vengeance, basically for his folly of arguing with god about justice after his death. Being justice incarnate sucks ass, it turns out. The old classic comics he's in are great fun, and the much later run by Ostrander is also very good, and extremely trippy. He's basically a kind of superhero "tales from the crypt" sort of thing

I'm not entirely why they didn't chose to do a Shazam Rebirth. He really is a neglected badass character.

Still great to read in Kingdom Come though. Also a tragic character in that.

Has there been a good Judge Dredd game?

Going with that scenario, you can easily have a versatile gameplay depending of the red sunlight exposure.

Seriously, the idea is so easy to exploit I'm surprised it hasn't already been done.

How would a Superman game even work?
Isn't he supposed to be completely unkillable, complete with every single asspull super power that you can possibly throw at a capeshit hero?

They'd have to absolutely nail the feeling of flying, and the feeling of sheer power. Look at games that do flying well, and games that nail that feeling of being an unstoppable force of nature, and go from there.

Having the primary challenge be saving other people, stopping buildings from being destroyed and so on could work. Maybe some of the game's bigger setpieces could center around fighting back natural disasters. Pushing back a tsunami. Punching meteors out of the sky.

But are they wrestlers?

… wat?

Don't you know? The Nazis just wanted to kill everyone.

I got that part, just not the cost part. Did they lose a lot of men doing it?

Hitler hypercausted everybody who wasn't a pure white heterosexual Aryan and made the world a futuristic paradise. Superman is a little iffy on it but considers it his duty to protect it.

Not the Nazis. The basic idea is.

MAKE WAY!

Gay as fuck, but if that's the end of the poz it's absolutely fantastic for being a comic. Sounds like I need to pick this one up.

Considering they are planning on making a movie about him I am really not sure why we still haven't gotten it.

(checked)
on the SNES. Excellent taste, user

If you flew fast enough in Superman Returns, you could break the audio. I don't know why, but it's one of the few things that I remember. That and you could play as bizarro.

It was admirable, but mistaken