What makes a videogame to feel "being made in unity3D"?

What makes a videogame to feel "being made in unity3D"?

Other urls found in this thread:

madewith.unity.com/en/games/ziggurat
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_60
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll answer that question the instant you clarify what the fuck you just said.

Simple.
It's made in Unity3D

I guess that wraps up this /thread then.

Glad I could help

What signals do a game gives that gives the "is made on unity3D"?

Ori and the forest is made on unity, but It doesn't feel like is made on unity, same as hearstone.

Than you're not feeling it hard enough

If it's shit it was made in Unity
If it's made in Unity it's shit

I'll actually bother to give you a better answer than you'll often get since you posted a cute pupper

What you're refering to, people complaining that a game "feels like Unity3D" (I'm assuming that's the purpose of your question) stems from complaints about specific traits that are very common among newbie developers but made more relevant and visible thanks to Unity.
In truth, it's not a direct consequence at all or that, if you're using Unity you'll definitely show those symptoms.
A good skilled dev will not repeat those mistakes while a bad dev will commit them even with other engines.

But more specifically, the problems tend to be as these:
-Badly optimized code that results in unresponsive UI or controls.
-Badly done assets that don't fit together well because they were taken from their asset shop.
-Low sound\animations production as that wasn't their main concern or one at all.
-Lazy work with the shaders and materials, resulting in something that looks similar to many other crappy games.

If you'll notice one thing in common all of these have is that a dev did not took the required time to actually make his game.
Many people fall into this mistake that, because it's Unity it's simple and you don't have to do half of the shit you usually do.
It's really not the fault of the engine itself but rather that, since it's so simple that even retards and bad devs can use it, there will be retards and bad devs using it with the obvious results.

If you want an example of a game that was made with Unity but doesn't suffer from these problems:
madewith.unity.com/en/games/ziggurat
Ziggurat is also a pretty cool game that I recommend.

If you want an example of a game that wasn't made with Unity but does suffer from these problems:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_60
Revolution 60 is also a terrible game that I don't recommend at all.
You can also see Ukrainian Ninja for another game made with Unreal Engine that "feels like an Unity game".

tl;dr a videogame feels "being made in Unity3D" when the Dev has put no effort whatsoever in it at all. It's a complaint about the Dev, not the engine itself. Or about the engine itself by people that never worked with it or produced anything.

You forgot BUGS. Mastering Unity is a bit of an art because there's also bugs or hidden behavior in the engine if you're not careful. I'm a fan of making your own simple engine because if you do it right it will do what you want how you want and you don't have to worry about whether or not that code which looked like it should get the job done will run into hidden Fun Stuff and shit.

Default controllers, making the player control in wonky ways that, despite being okay as a starting point for a prototype, are supposed to be changed by the developer.
These controllers are part of the default assets unity comes from, a lot of people just include them and call it a day.

Also a poor knowledge of 3D modeling is also a big problem for a lot of debs. Not knowing how to set materials properly or just not knowing how to make two models feel right.

And of course the bane of downloaded assets from the store.

As far as I've seen that's pretty much it. Unity's actually a great tool in the hands of people that know what they're doing.

Just to add on.
First pic related is possibly the farthest I've seen any dev go from that "unity look". This shit took 6 years to make and the level of polish is really really impressive. Even if you don't like the game, the environments, the movement and the animations are really really on point.

Endless Legend also is made with Unity, despite not looking like it, it still has a lot of the performance problems common with unity titles so it's a good midway point.

Really shitty premade assets, poor controls and lighting and generally bad gameplay.

most often shitty shaders since nobody bothers to make his own or at least look for anything other than the standard one
otherwise poor performance because nobody bothered to use the profiler when making his own retarded pathfinding algorithm
also poor performance in general when a scene has too much stuff in it
having the unity launcher for your game still there after it's published is also kind of a dead giveaway
i don't think anyone's retarded enough to use default character controllers considering how bad they are, but i guess that's also possible

Inside's developers also had access to Unity's source code and noted there were some faster functions that weren't exposed to devs by default.

It doesn't fucking run smoothly even on top-tier hardware.

I like your answer and appreciation of cute, have some more an a polite sage>>12529601

More cute.

…despite looking like ass

Shiddy shadows sticks out for one. I don't know why they'd go that route and not just good ol' stencil shadows if the shit is going to look cheap anyway.

For mobile games? Good visuals but poor/lifeless animations. Does IK take a huge toll on mobile devices?

For PC? Input delay, random assets, weak shaders, no bloom, etc.

first dog is at a loss

I really need a dog.

make sure you get a sexy one

Very plain UI, no effort put into its design, usually just black and grey.

>>>/zoo/

I'm told that people who play a lot of games can tell when a game was made in unity3d just by playing it.

OP is asking what we think the tells are.

You might be on to something there, pal.

This

I'm curious about something. What makes a game optimized, codewise? I had always assumed the more lines of code you had the less efficient it is, but now that I'm learning to code I don't think this is the case.

Well that's new, source on this? I can't find it

usually unity games make my PC run super hot so thats a giveaway and they kinda look like crap and run like it too

Using the default lighting values, that is why they all have the "unity look".