Why do Holla Forums hate retro indie games?

Why do Holla Forums hate retro indie games?

Because the majority of them are just lazy, nostalgia-pandering cash-ins that don't understand why the classics are classics in the first place.

If they're good I like them, if not I don't

Don’t see that much anymore.

Why would anyone but a trendy hipster like "retro" indie games?
sage for shit thread

Often there are indie games that never claim to be "retro" or trying to be a classic game, yet Holla Forums still claims they are shit just because the pixel art that is not up to the studios of yore who had top tier artist direction, so much for the "graphics don't make a game" argument.

What i am trying to say is, don't judge a book for it's cover, unless the book is trying to mislead you to buy it.

Yeah and that sure as shit is a rare occurrence.

Not really, there are plenty games with developer graphics that are put up with. It's easy to tell the difference between that and poseur faggotry.

Because i want to play something with bearable graphics, and i am not even a graphic whore. There's a reason why diablo, baldur's gate, crusader: no remorse and other old 2d vidya don't look like pixel shit.
And for most part its like people who made newgrounds flash games became jews all of the sudden, and want money for shit with even less quality control.

If you aren't trying to make a "retro" game why the fuck are you using pixel art? Just fucking draw sprites you can do that now all the consoles and PC are capable of running games like that now. If you're using pixel art in like 90% of cases it's because you are too lazy to make actual art.

/thread

A lot of them don't break the mold, most are left-leaning and cliche "self-aware" deconstructions of old games.

I hate this more than anything. Not just in games, but in any medium.

/thread

I think you are not telling me something here. Probably a butthurt Holla Forums doesn't like your favorite indie shit.
Risk of Rain and Terraria considered great video games, so no, Holla Forums doesn't shit on everything pixelart.

One and done two for one.
Good thread guys, see you in the next one.

This

OP BTFO
/thread

Its the little details that make it perfect.

They were cool the first time around, but it's really overdone recently to the point where it's a distinct staple.

Because this is what actual pixel art looked like, in 1990.

/thread

On a semi-related note, is there any way to actually see, on an LCD now, how NES / SNES games ACTUALLY looked like? I haven't plugged in my SNES for almost a decade and I have no idea if my CRT still works. Obviously I don't trust my memory due to all the emulator shit I got used to over the years.

He got blown away by

I've dealt with shovelware since the 386 days of getting games in ziploc baggies with the instructions being a folded piece of xerox paper. My mental "flag" for a shovelware title is pretty hardwired at this point, and indie/early access games tend to hit all the wrong fucking notes.

I just can't bring myself to give them much attention or credibility. Even the good ones, I tend to avoid because my brain is subconsciously screaming in the back of my head "IT'S SHIT" the whole time. Not worth digging through a mountain of trash to find a rare diamond in the rough anyhow.

Not that I particularly care for AAA, but I'm more apt to give it a fair shake before writing it off as garbage. AA seems to have had the best sweetspot of being a low enough investment that they could be passion projects without too many outside fingers fucking things up for the sake of marketability, while having the accountability and oversight that indie devs lack. Shame those are dying out with portable gaming.

Thought I was the only one that remembered those bootleg kiosks at the mall that sold floppies that way, usually not even with a manual and just a piece of paper with install instructions if you were lucky.

I remember going up to a software outlet in South Bend with my dad. They were clearing out their old stock of 5 1/4 disks to make way for games on 3 1/2. They had just rows of disks in ziplock bags, with MAYBE a laminated picture of what would have been box art if the games boxes - ring bound to the shelf the disks were stacked on.

We ended up walking out of there with two large contractor trash bags full of disks for $100. Half of them were only labeled with a generic sticker with the name of the program scrawled on via ball ink and quill.

Most of it we just wrote over for cheap storage, but there were a few decent games in the bunch. EGA Bomb and Dracula In London were my favs.

Reminder that it's a (1) and done OP and that you should not be wasting your time in this thread, especially after the (1) and done first post rebuttal.

Besides the fact that the graphics don't actually look old-school, I can count the number of pixelated indie games that are actually good on one fucking hand.
Shovel Knight and Shantae are obvious picks, and there's SS13 I guess, and that's where it ends.
But yeah, like said, you're a (1) and done OP, so I don't even know why I'm replying to you.
Oh actually, I do have a reason. Pic related.

Epic dubs thread.

/thread

I fucking hate that most retro pixel games don't even try to look even remotelly close to 8-bit, some of them even look like Atary games but with more color and good look if you liked 16-bit era pixel art cus you'll be lucky if you find anything

Could I get the song name?

Pokemon Black and White, Unwavering Emotions

You're the hero we don't deserve, user.

Thanks user

Because they don't do it right. They do a very pale, shallow imitation of aesthetics and aspects that they don't understand because they're stupid hipsters who only have a surface-level understanding of anything. And the results look like shit.

Brians need a mouth to talk?

Most of the Brians I've met had a mouth.

OP might be a (1) hit-and-runner, but you sage fags are just as cancerous.

(1) Sagers reek of butthurt and tears.

Because they play like shit and look like shit too.

It's almost like they cry about shitposting, but then just shitpost themselves.

woah, really?

Well, in that case, less filters and more compression.

I like pixel art for the most part, and I don't care if a game looks nothing like an actual retro game, as long as it has a pleasing aesthetic. Some games do just use it as a crutch to put out no effort shit though.

Spoiler that shit user.

I guess Overwatch is a good game since mark the kike allows those threads as well~!

If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, they're called rixels.

They look so bad

Explain this to me. Why does it matter if something accurately replicates the look of an older system? Why can't pixel art just be it's own style? And don't give me "because it looks shit". There are plenty of pixel art games that aren't strictly trying to recreate one thing or another that still mange to look good, like Owlboy, or Konjac's work. Even some less technically well made pixel art manages to have a pleasing style, like Hotline Miami.

/thread