STRAFE

So this piece of shit came out today. Is it as buggy as the beta they released for the kikestarter or did they actually fix the performance issues

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/8Qtwp
store.steampowered.com/app/390030/DESYNC/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

good meme.

Feed me Seymour

man I remember when this piece of shit was getting shilled fucking everywhere, how much did this thing raise on its kikestarter?

Well the beta played on my laptop, and this release does not.

It's shit.

This shitty game is shit? No way, thanks for that breakthrough OP.

I heard the beta ran like shit for most people, which isn't surprising because it's a Unity game and bad engines attract bad developers.

You tell me.

I'm fucking sick of these ((( Retro ))) games that are nothing like the games they are based off, how the fuck is this meant to be like doom or wolfenstien?

Because the graphics are bad :^)

it's still being shilled, user. (((Reviewers))) are giving it high marks dispite being fucking garbage.

You had one fucking job you idiots.

hey don't talk bad about this, it's literally the only PC game of 2017

wait a seconid
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nah, fix these and if the game is like $5 I would buy.

I'm kind of bummed it's bad. I like the pixel texture on low poly look even if hipsters overuse it.

Don't forget

What's the difference between a reference or homage and plagiarism? Where do you draw the line?

That doesn't seem like a bad thing

remember that one guy samefagging with DBZ reaction images?

Homage and reference are pretty much the same thing and I didn't say the game was plagiarizing. I said it lacks identity. At first was the screen melting effect, I was "That's looks good, just like the original Doom", then I see the first area of E1M1 while going through the stage "OK, I know this place." and I swear some other spots are copied from other places "I'm having a lot of deja vu with this game now". So, in the end, the game feels like it has no own identity.

Reloading is not bad by itself, its like a cool-down time. Make it automatic and interruptable by shooting. For example, Team Fortress Classic (and Fortress Forever) do this, since the game is already over the top, this wouldn't affect the realism.

Anyone looking forward to Dusk?

This doesn't actually look completely terrible.

Every time.

Just heard about this. It looks fucking sweet.

Not this shit again.

This has to be the biggest sin that "roguelite" and procedural shooters make.
Yeah, except for being stuck with
ONE FUCKING GUN YOU RETARDED SHITS.

every time I see that title I think its STRIFE and get a little exited; but then I realize its just another meme game.

you forgot "New BLOOD"

but tbh gameplay-wise it doesnt look too bad.

Strife got a re-release recently actually, it's even FOSS because the original source is forever lost and they had to use Chocolate Strife as a base.

Is actually p good
Played it at Australia's PAX, sensitivity was too fukin high and I was carrying shit at the same time while there was no seat so I was never really comfortable, but the movement and everything was perf
I got lost for like 5 minutes looking for keycards

This game was destined to fail, the people behind it just don't understand actual old-school FPS games and believed that copying those games in the most superficial way possible was the same thing as those games, there are tons of games with "procedural level design" that try to be old-school and fail miserably, but this is one of the worst ones.

Also, the cover art is tumblr tier garbage.

Wow, so 90s!
*Rubs shit all over face*

seems like they put some of that kickstarter moni into twitch streamers pockets.
i dont see the point playing this awkward "remember the 90's????" game, when you have so many megawad gems for doom. twitch streamers never play these tho

Good shooters in the 90's had cool enemies, fun weapons, and actual map design. This game has jack fucking shit from what I've seen. Gameplay seems to be purely running backwards in to chokepoints while shooting forwards. There's no actual strafing involved. What a fucking waste.

tippity toppity kekkity

Pic related.

Looks alright but that spinny camera shit when touching the jump pads nearly made me spew from the fucking trailer alone. Hopefully you can turn that shit off in-game.

what the fuck

I like the concept of it but the coloring here is abysmal

Yep, it's shit.

REMEMBER CRTS???

There is a genderslider? Can't wait to find out that the devs turn out to suck femine benis and wear frilly french maid dresses while claiming that it ain't gay.

INTO THE TRASH

I played the game for a bit and the negative steam reviews are surprisingly on point considering they are usually pretty cancerous.
Honestly the game feels more like a roguelite than a classic FPS. It's a shame because in my opinion except for a few stupid choices (bland enemy design, head/weapon bob etc.) I think the presentation is almost on point for what they were going.

I hate this shit so fucking much.
Procedural generation is rarely done for 'replay value", it's usually done because the devs don't want to spend time modeling levels and don't know shit about level design.
If a level is shit with procedural generation all they have to say is "lol bad RNG", if a level they designed is shit they have no defence.
It's killing two birds with one stone, it's for lazy hacks who don't want their lack of skill and lack of patience to be obvious.

all it does it changes the grunting sounds.

Then why is it a gender slider then and not a slider for the vocal pitch of the MC?

it actually changes the grunts but it's a fucking shit game, nice default 88 fov that caps at 95 fov, where's my fucking 110 and the hud size just slightly widens the gap between the helmet from obscuring your face

For what purpose.

Let's see. What defines old FPS games like Doom, Quake, and Unreal?
Did they succeed?

Nope. But they had a wacky and zany marketing campaign and the graphics fit the aesthetic so the masses will eat it up.

Also I'm watching a game-play video. Holy shit those guns sound wimpy. Absolutely no base.

oh good i'm not the only one pissed off by the bob. it's actually weapon sway, and it looks goddamn awful.
if it was done like that in 3rd person the player would be noodlearming his gun around in front of him whenever he moves.

I'd actually be ok with the one-gun+pickup-specials mechanic IF the guns weren't all boring feedbackless trash with shit sound effects.
i like limited weapons slots with swapping and limited ammo, one of the few interesting things in post golden age shooters.

Epic, into the fucking trash it goes

That explains the gender slider.

It fits right in your pocket too, take it with you and play with it wherever you want, it doesn't have much energy but it's actually very close to what others like it possess, but people don't like to admit it for some reason.

A game needs to do this. It'd be an inexhaustable salt mine. I guess there's Super Princess Peach but that's just girly-mode all the time.

Worthless mutt. Besides the /ss/ personification is way better.

SS personification?

Anyone got a link to the GoG version, if it's bad I want to know why it's bad through experience, and if it's good I want to play it.

You're an idiot, my description was alluding to what that fag wanted to do with the dog. Fits in your pocket, not that much energy, calm your tism.

/ss/. Not your kind I suspect.

NO. FULL AUTISM ALL THE TIME.

I prefer the one with the guy, the Switch unit itself is bigger than the joycons.

I was referring to the people behind that Dusk game.

Super Princess Peach was fucking hilarious back in the day. This was before gaming journalism had gone full SJW but even then there were articles and reviews docking points for Peach using her emotions as powers, as if it was some commentary on being emotionally unstable because they fucking are and it should be

But I thought that Quake was just that game that had the Minecraft graphics. Didn't Halo invent multiplayer?

I'm stupid.

Question, does Steam's game stats api keep track of player data such as gameplay settings? I had an idea of possibly cross referencing all the player data with these cucks' profiles and finding out if they all identify as women.

Here's a tip: next time you make a shitty thread about a shitty game, include a screenshot or at least explain what the fucking game is.

Because you didn't I had to make the search result for this game rise up by having to type it into a search engine.

I knew about straight shota,i just didnt know there was a switch version.
i also knew about the version with the little girl in the woman robot body,liked that one too.

0/9 features confirmed post torrent

It's a shit game. The guns are pathetic with the measly 6 shell shotgun sometimes taking upwards of 3 POINT BLANK hits to kill normal trash, the stages are boring, the performance is middling, the game seems actually built for 88 FOV as their projection is shit and anything higher gives you an awful fisheye distortion. I couldn't be bothered after one map.

I was relatively excited for the game too. Oh well, saves me a lot of time and 20 freedumbux

Schlechte Spiele zu entwickeln steht unter STRAFE!

The lesson is,never be excited for anything ever.

Is it up in the share threads? I kind of want to try it

It's a ridiculous complaint since everyone is emotionally unstable in that game, even Bowser. There's also many legitimate complaints that could've been raised, like the dumb control gimmicks, the lack of difficulty, and not enough creativity with the vibe powers. Even when they do do something clever with them there's always a stupid hint block to tell you what.

True, but as long as it's lewd joycon sandwich I'm happy.

Now you do!

This is pissing me off more than it should do.
I though Devolver only supported good games.

the alpha was better than the release

I pirated it since I like Heavy Bullets quite a bit. I thought it was quite fun. What would you recommend in its stead if it is truly shit?

I don't know why I go onto the steam forums of games like these to read all the comments by faggots defending them. These people think a bolt of lightning is going to vaporize them if they don't promote something they bought.

Forced positivity is perverting the natural course of supply and demand. This game has no market value, it's garbage, and yet thanks to timid domesticated individuals who will probably suffer some kind of mental break if they start understanding how bad things are, it gets to exist and make money. It gets attention from modern gamers before quake or hexen or powerslave or whatever. It wouldn't matter to us except high quality games like those have become something extremely rare, as they're seen as a threat to the industry.

Also,
every time

desync is kind of nice.
Kind of. It suffers from most of the problems the FPS rogue-lite genre has.

Procedural generation has a place only for the placement and arrangement of aesthetics, or for when you want a very quick example of an abstract blob of rooms that you want to turn into an actual level by hand. It'd be fine for when you have something like empty rooms or backgrounds and want to make feel more alive or inhabited, but not when that is the level design itself.

This was announced over a year ago, jesus.

Played this pile of wank for about half an hour then uninstalled.

They tagged all the screenshots on their steam store page as "Mature" so you can't see them when hovering over the game. I suppose this is a form of clickbait.

Also a fantastic idea, but is hard to beat.

It works here, so why not!

Edgy. Movement looks nice but the maps look like bland open arenas. Hopefully it's going to have mod support to swap out the shitty looking enemies and make decent maps.

Doom had multiplayer even earlier

OK that's enough autism even for me.

Immortal Redneck for the FPS roguelite
Teleglitch for the kill fast/die fast hell with really high skill ceiling.

So what I want to know is, Spire when, and will it be good?

why not just play the original WAD with Zdoom? What is FOSS?
sage for off topic

When It's Ready, and probably. It was made by the Dustforce team, and if nothing else they have an understanding of how to make good gameplay. What concerns me is the radical shift in genre more than anything.

ZDoom in general is not a faithful recreation of the games it plays (not necessarily in a bad way, jumping and mouselook and modding are good things), but it's even worse for Strife since unlike Doom, there was no source code release, in fact it's lost, so it had to be figured out from scratch. Chocolate Strife is just a much more thorough reverse engineering to the point it's identical or extremely close to vanilla behaviour.

Also FOSS = "Free and Open Source Software", basically the game's engine and source code is freely available and can be used in any way. This is partly why Doom has such a vibrant modding community and why you can find it on virtually any platform.

Also fuck topic, Strife >>>>>> Strafe.

How new are you?

I just played Quake 2 for the first time in a while now, in the second level, I found a rebreather. Thinking for the hell of it, I used it and found a secret level.
These small things make these games.
Now for another question, is Quake 2 the pinnacle of an arena shooter singleplayer?
My favorite FPS is Half-Life, but Quake 2 has some fantastic level, enemy, etc design.

You're replying to that one permanently butthurt sonyfag who crops up now and then

Now thats pathetic
archive.is/8Qtwp

Looks like a mix between Left 4 Dead, Gauntlet, and Redneck Rampage. I'm fucking sold

Wat?

You can turn off jumping and mouse-look in zdoom. You can even set it so the WAD determine weather or not those features are enabled.
It was not originally open source but the game was designed to be easily modded. WAD sands for "Where's All the Data", which makes it extremely easy to tweak. The source wasn't released until 2012.

Okay I played it for about 1 hour and 30 minutes and I don't want to continue. It's really repetitive. I'll list what I liked and disliked.
Overall the most I got out of it was a feeling of incompleteness, the games feels like it's still work in progress when you fight with bland enemies and see textures that sometimes don't fit each other.
The game has no story or unique environment which means it should focus solely on gunplay but there are only 3 guns and temporary weapons you find during game are very similar to each other.

Positives:
1. Pretty cool object-based main menu.
2. The tutorial is pretty nice. That was only part of the game that I really enjoyed because you can actually see they put some effort, other times I felt indifferent. Tutorial plays some videos where lady explains shortly the lore of the game. It has additional filter that makes it look like a VHS recording. But… see negative #10
3. There is at least one usable weapon - sniper rifle which has good damage and useful secondary fire. But.. see negative #2.
4. The game allows you to NOT take weapon and fight with fist only or offers you a wrench as an alternative weapon, but… see negative #11.
5. The minimap is in 3D so it depicts the the "landscape" pretty accurately, but… see negative #4.
6. You can blast off heads and limbs.

Negatives:
0. Unskipable Dev logos.
1. No auto-reload when you go down to 0 ammo in a mag
2. Other weapons are shit. Shotgun is just bland. The Rifle's secondary fire - the grenade launcher is weak as shit. You best see it in tutorial, if you shoot it at dummies, unless you score a direct hit they are unharmed.
3. Slight screen shaking when walking despite setting it to "none" in options
4. When you press mini-map button the camera moves to look at PC's arm. It makes me feel really dizzy like while experiencing locomotion sickness.
5. Half-assed reload animation - the weapon is just lowered under the camera and then it comes back.
6. Inventory/money/scrap (?) system is really unsatisfying. You collect some shit but it's unnoticeable.
7. How do I fucking heal myself?
8. Game tries to have this retro-pixelated style but they can't decide the size of the pixels
9. Very weak and unsatisfying sound effects.
10. Tutorial doesn't explain what exactly you should do with scrap/money or how do traits you get work. It explains only the most basic shit like walking and shooting.
11. Fist/wrench fighting is weak as fuck and doesn't allow you to block so this style of playing is at disadvantage.
12. Main-fire and secondary-fire share the same magazine. That means if I shoot a grenade it somehow uses normal bullets from the magazine and you have to reload sooner.
13. There are rarely places with "personality" What I mean by this most of the time you are fighting inside generic corridors or rooms that don't seem to have any other functions than being empty spaces. There no decorations that would make you stop and think about the place you are in.
14. Who the fuck am I fighting against? There are these monkey guys, some robots, sometimes orange spores that shoot orange shit - are they all allies or what?
15. When you are hurt you have this annoying bloody screen effect.

31 crash landings (meme sins):
0. Memes are too evident
1. Le sneaky "gender is a spectrum" bar that is actually a bar that determines how soft or gruff are grunts of your character
2. Meme that infringes on gameplay - door that leads to next level opens slow as shit and plays old modem sounds because modems were slow get it :DDDDDD
3. Screen melt like in Doom.
4. The weapon cabins at the beggining are evident reference to Half-Life's HEV suit cabin.
5. You can open sort of a DOS screen where you can type some commands, but if you write wrong commands like "fuck you" the game will give you a hint what you are meant to write. You know because DOS is cool and retro but maybe a bit to hard for modern audience.

Doom source was released under a non-profit license in 1997, then GPL'd in 1999

had nothing to do with how easy it was to edit wads. It's mainly responsible for Source ports like Zdoom GZdoom and Zandronum. Things like DEU where around sense 1994.

As pathetic as it sounds I enjoyed myself more playing Immortal Redneck than I did playing Strafe because, despite its abysmal weapon sounds/animations/feedback, Immortal Redneck has expansive rooms, interesting mobility options and decent enemy variety.
Strafe is supposed to ape classic FPS but the roguelite aspect encourages just waiting for the generic enemies to come at you in a line so you don't lose health that you can only replenish once per level. I also wouldn't have minded randomized levels as long as the generation was good but so far it hasn't been the case.

It's pretty ironic that a game being sold as full of roguelite cancer with FPS elements (Immortal Redneck) ended up being a more compelling experience than a game being sold as a "classic" FPS with roguelite elements.

…and yes it seem I was a bit mistaken, the point in general still stands.

what a needlessly ugly game.

i bet you '"Slight screen shaking when walking despite setting it to "none" in options"' is because they used some asset store FPS controller bullshit that uses spring physics to get their walking and gun sway effects.
the slow opening door is a gameplay choice so you can't run past enemies to the exit at the end. almost smart, if the enemies weren't so garbage.

That's a reasonable explanation but I still don't like that I have to wait even if I killed the enemies I met.
They could have made some "enemy detector" function and use the slow modem door as hidden easter egg for people that run past enemies.

PLAY DESYNC

Checked.
That's a pretty good summary. The presentation is on point except for a few things (weapon sway, HUD) but other than that everything falls short.
I've already asked my refund, my money will be better spent on Vanquish.

Same, at least it's kind of a nice reminder of a lesser known game.

Make a thread for it, user.
I'm sure other people would be interested.

I fucking love Quake 2, but I have to play it on Nightmare (Hard+) and pretend the armor that uses BFG ammo doesn't exist, otherwise the game is too easy. I found the interconnected nature of the levels to be really cool. Have you played the Ground Zero expansion? It seems like it was built from the ground up for people who complained about the lack of difficulty in the base game. It is fucking brutal, probably one of the hardest FPS games I have played, it gave me nightmares about fucking rocket turrets for weeks.

store.steampowered.com/app/390030/DESYNC/
interesting. I don't like the art style but the sound is worlds better than strafe, gameplay looks like it could be good.

Wait for Dust, or get Immortal Redneck if you really care that much about a shitty genre like Roguelites.>>12526478

Tried it out for about an hour or two. It was pretty boring. Procedural generation delivers the usual blandness people associate with it. The obtuse map usage doesn't help either. Guns generally lack meaningful force and don't really feel fun to use. Was left with the thought "Why would I keep playing this over anything else?" sums it up pretty well.

Yes there's also the vanilla compatibility options. It still doesn't feel like the original game though, there's much better source ports for that. Also ZDoom happens to be under the original Doom license terms which forbid non-commercial usage, so you couldn't use it for a Strife re-release anyway. It also uses that proprietary sound library so it's an awful starting point for porting.

Yes, but open sourcing it allowed for so much more. Doom Legacy for example blew my mind in its heyday for all its fancy linetypes to make 3D floors and coloured lighting and all that stuff. jDoom was also frickin' sweet for adding fancy visuals. Nowadays we've got the ZDoom family with all kinds of fancy tricks. It enabled so much more than you could do with map editors, DeuTex, or even DeHackEd.

actually I found out by accident that if yoiu shoot that lock/computer thing, you open the door nearly instantly

That just looks like a straight reskin of Ziggurat to me. Does it do anything different?

It has more verticality and weapon variety. A lot of guns don't feel very good to use because of poor anims/feedback/sound. The enemy variety is okay but their appearance feels uninspired.
The rooms are pretty big and interesting to fight in.

Funfact We are still using modems

Does anybody have that pic where a STRAFE shill was unknowingly samefagging on our Holla Forums? I remember seeing that somewhere.

I did on my old, dead hard drive.

Would sliding it towards the feminine end make the game harder so as to imply that women are weak, or would it make the game easier, implying that women suck at video games?

This. Desync is the game Strafe was pretending to be.

God damn it, can you faggots agree on liking anything?

No

Lmao dude you can parry like in dark souls xD

Uh that looks awesome?>>12544024

This is unironically the worst webm I've seen for a long time.

I'm not playing a game with an artstyle this terrible.

What's wrong with that? It's not even that uncommon. Magic Carpet 1/2 and Asterix & Obelix are 3 that come to mind.

dios mio

test

That works when a game has a release for specific regions, such Europe or North America, but when you have a single worldwide version of the game it's really stupid.

First post best post.
This shit has no game in it.