Turret/deployable mechanics

The true campers class but gets none of the shite that a 'imma snyper' sniper camper would.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/17740/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I deploy them and rush with my guns.
What is it that gives ammo on hit, Widowmaker? Great fun with mini sentry you can play hyper aggressively

Because turrets are cozy.

Stob. But I agree, I love playing engie and setting up defense lines with turrets in EDF.

Want reddit to leave

Any good games with said mechanics?

Not saying they don't count, I'm saying they are trash.

I like campy gameplay. Its the reason TF2 was so great. TF2 is probably the campiest online game ever made. Think about it. If you're not an Engineer camping his sentry then you're a Sniper camping the battlements. If you're not a sniper camping battlements then you're a Demoman sticky camping. If you're not a Demo sticky camping then you're a slow as fuck Heavy. Even the less-campy classes like Scout and Spy you find yourself guarding a corner for the perfect time to stab someone or shoot their back. TF2 is a very slow-paced campy game, probably because the Source Engine itself is arguably fairly limited when it comes to fast-paced gameplay.

Thats the reason I think Overwatch really fails to fill the void TF2 left when I finally quit it after nearly 2k hours logged. Because Overwatch is a much faster game. Even Turbos sentry guns are quick to build and have little health compared to Engies so its almost as if Turbo is on mini-sentry mode all the time

Biggest sin ypu can commit tbh.

E.Y.E.

Warhammer Age of Reckoning had various types of turrets deployed by one of the dwarf classes (mechanist or engineer or something). I love that class. I think the Age of Reckoning pirate server is still up.

I guess Factorio is alright with turrets but I do wish they expanded on the aliens more.

Good feelings anyone

Oh god, I don't need a zentai fetish.

Don't you?

I miss Borderlands 2. True, the only way I ever played it was pirated and onlineā€¦failed, but I still miss it. Even with the flaws it had(loot and gear leveling system was all kinds of fucked) i still had loads of fun.

99% of the reason Roland was trash was that his skill trees were apparently randomized or some shit, to the point of near unplayability. I beat Borderlands 1 with him first, but it was the hardest run by far.

Brick and Birdman were the easiest.

Borderlands guy has to forward deploy his sentry and fight along side it to maximize use. This is true for both sentry guys.

I can't stand Borderlands or the sequel. The writing is just so bad, the unskippable cutscenes the grinding, it's all too much.
But god damn do Krieg and Axton need to be freed from that world and used in other material because their mechanics are amazing. Most of the mechanics in 2 are, anyway, but those stand out.
spoonfeed games with turrets that aren't expressly tower defense?

this is true for all sentry guys. theres not a single game where the sentry can "hold its own"

In EDF sentries can hold their own, and they only stop when they run out of ammo.

Torb should get a 3rd weapon similar to the Engie's Wrangler.

They can only 'hold their own' because insects can't actually kill them. On the harder difficulties they struggle to kill anything.

And on harder difficulties they can still stagger them enough to help.

As fucked up as Borderlands is, the sentry in 2 was top fucking tier. Starts out with guns, the rocket pods were satisfying as fuck, it could get debuffs, it could project a shield, you could get a teleporting version that deployed wherever your mouse cursor was pointed, you could cause it to set off a nuclear explosion as its spawn-in effect, and you could upgrade its main gun's bullets to Slag ammo, providing a massive defense debuff to enemies. And that's not covering the elemental effects you can apply to all characters' special abilities.

I wish it were in a better game.

Why would you do this to me?

Also the Engineer from RoR, although once you got that speed up he was the easiest class in the game

If you're okay with dead games, what about Global Agenda? Engineers can make several buildings including turrets . Doesn't have nearly as much focus as Axton's though.

Oh yeah. Risk of Rain 2's few shots we've seen so far have a completely different look and function for what appear to be the Engineer's turrets. They appear to track and charge for a bit before walloping out a high-speed slug, whereas they used to instantly snap to a target and start chugging out intermittent three-round bursts.

Most importantly, THEY CAN AIM UP NOW.

do bots count? torchlight 2 has an engineer class. a victorian era moustache and monocle man. really more of a steampunk knight. there are heal and gun bots among others.

theres a class in risk of rain who can drop several turrets, once again called the engineer.
also throws mines and spams missiles, in general he just shits havoc but is a bit of a slowpoke.

a fun strategy to use in total annihilation or supreme commander is to turret crawl toward your enemy. both games allow you to recycle the wreckage of destroyed units and structures which will help fund it. in supreme commander if you build a matching structure on top of wreckage it will start at 50% completion. it doesnt work as well in larger maps, not that its a great idea in the first place, however as the game goes on you can totally artillery crawl.

been playing a lot of factorio lately, the turrets in this game mean business but have fun building and supplying them with ammo. or you can just build laser turrets and not have to worry about that as long as youre able to keep up with power demands.

in command and conquer tiberian sun the nod faction has 'tick tanks' which are light tanks that can transform into a relatively hardy cannon turret, when transformed they gain bonus defense, and i think range.

speaking of transforming tanks, the turrets in battlezone 2 are relatively speedy hover units until deployed and that can be repositioned.

super dead game but i thought id mention it. super monday night combat had your standard shotgunning turret guy, he could also stick an airstrike beacon on someones head. he could even heal!
also had a mini turret spamming chick, instead of an airstrike she had a kamehameha. also had a multi heal gun to go with her multi turrets.

heres an unusual and amusing example.
when remilia uses focused movement she leaves her options behind, continually firing forward until you return to normal movement.

Oh shit, I didn't even know this was in development. I despise indie 2D pixelshit because it's often way too limiting for mechanics, so I didn't bother with Risk of Rain- but 3D? Suddenly, I'm interested.

Does that make me a casual?

Just announced a day or two ago. Thread is here.

I dunno about casual. That's more about attitude than preferred medium.

Bump

Got the game for you nigguh, Sanctum plebs can't evn touch this.

TF2.
It was extremely overpowered and extremely easy to counter.
You could kill 20 people rushing it but one spy could kill you.
Hell most classes could kill you.
And it was fun either way. When you died from turret it was your fault when you got your turret killed as engi you wasn't doing good enough job.

Don't compare the two.
Overwatch doesn't have enough counters for Torb turret to be able to be half as good as TF2. Torb is prime example of character that can do many things but suck at all of them. What Overwatch should do is stop with this and make some characters fun. Meanwhile there is shit tone of ults that you have to play around.

This is also true at most turret characters in MMOs. Devs look at them and decide that engineer and his turret should do same stuff as one character. Screw the fact you can clearly see a guy with shit tone of turrets out there, it is fair when you can 1v1 him.

Turrets are always useful. A bad sniper can be a serious detriment to a team.

bad snippers are fun to bully

True tactical master class

A Heavy in point blank (corner spin jumping) can beat a lv3 sentry too
Also demos and soldiers are MUCH more dangerous than spies

I think that in GoW Judgment the turret is used as a diversion more than a camping mechanic.

I think they both reflect the fundamental differences between both games

TF2 is a slower, compyer game
Overwatch is a much faster paced game. Torbs sentry dies easy but you can rebuild it twice as fast. Its not nearly as comfy as TF2 in my opinion

For regular play maybe. Competitive is all about Soldier, Demo and Scout due to their speed and movement to the point that Heavy is a detriment and Engineer\Pyro is never used at all.
You can also try to play the game in a very campy way with Engineer but 1v1 against a Soldier, you'll always lose unless he's that bad due to the game mechanics (your turret takes the same damage from rockets, no fall-off damage from distance at all).

Torb is pretty cool because like you said, sentry dies easy but you can rebuild it twice as fast.
He's supposed to use it for distraction since his own gun is quite good too, he has to work with his turret, not expect it to hold the fort alone.

Conversely, this is one of the things I both prefer in Overwatch but also miss from TF2. The fact that you're always on the move in Overwatch leaves little time to apreciate the little things and laugh a bit or spy check like you could in TF2, where you spent more time managing your buildings (the teleporters were often more important than the sentry) than actually firing your guns.

Regardless. Even a dynamic Engineer is campy as fuck. Hell, even Soldier, Scout and Demo are campy as fuck. With Scout you find yourself waiting for opportunities to make circles around enemies with the scatter gun, especially on non CTF maps. With Demo you're sticky camping, with Soldier you're really not that nimble and you find yourself standing in front of corners firing rockets towards them to clear them than anything else. TF2 is just a very campy game, its just how it is.

I also wanted to add that even on CTF maps with Scout you'll find yourself stuck behind lines of Sentry guns guarding the intel waiting for tanks to plow them unless you are able to find a good angle to take pot shots at the sentry while the Engie is dead or not around

The Conjurer class in Nox has summons that work like this. Meanwhile Wizards get to drop traps.

Being bunkered down is comfy but only sometimes. TF2 does did it right but I won't play that shit anymore.
For example, doesn't need to move around his turrent everywhere, or is there something I'm missing?

You got two turret summoning classes: the engineer for the order and the magus for the destro and normally they simply resummon when the fight moves on.

Because turrets often function as providing a defensive line that is actually helpful, furthermore their benefit is more static as turrets are AI controlled. Sure you can put a turret in a really bad spot but it's not like it can miss.

A sniper provides a similar function but carries more penalty as it operates at a much longer range, often times being ineffective on groups of enemies. This leads sniper to being more effective at removing important enemies than defending an area, which can often be frustrating to those enemies not mentioning how they often have little choice to retaliate.

Fuck you, the writing and story of the first is amazing in how refreshing it was. It was like chilled fruit pieces in a world only filled with greasy slimeburgers.

take a competitive class based game that has both of these, like tf2.
the engineers turrets keep up defensive lines that makes the less ambushy, basically, he is not stealthy and he makes stealth less of a thing.
whereas the sniper, due to his ability to instantly kill from any range, completely invalidates the rest of the classes altogether, where he can kill them with impunity but if they try to kill him they are simply wasting their time because he is so far away.
tf2 would have better class dynamics and be better in general without sniper, yet engineer is a total linchpin of the game that no-one plays because all of his counters get constantly buffed every update.

The Engineer class from the Empires mod for hl2 was really fun. Just having a squad of engies erecting trenches and turrets everywhere to impede the enemy's vehicles and routes was some of the better fun to be had in that game.

Too bad it's a dead game now

i only played a month or two after release, i get burnt out on mmorpgs pretty fast. also helped that i was playing an engineer who was widely considered to be underpowered. i heard he got buffed some time after i quit. what did engi play like after that? could the turret actually do damage?

Thats pretty weak user. You need to hide it in there, get someone invested in your opinion and THEN you drop it in.

That really bothers my pancreas. I mean I guess the game isn't built since its a MMO and all but still.

My nigga. Empires was an amazing mod. Very cool FPS/RTS hybrid, even better than Natural Selection for HL1 (which was damn good too). I wish there were more FPS/Strategy hybrids.

what happen? i dont see it under hl2 mods on steam.

store.steampowered.com/app/17740/

I'll vouch for the other anons, this is one of the best HL2 mods in existence, its a shame its dead as fuck all the time now, I know the veterans play on the weekends though.

Another of the best ones was Eternal Silence also dead as fuck now, which had a hacker class that could "deploy" their SMG as a remote turret; but doing so, of course, limited you to just your pistol in self-defense until you picked it up again.

Say what you want about the Half Life series, but the mods for them were god-tier in their prime.

So the nigga had turrets?
Who could know, its not like anyone would play a nigga anyways

Fucking what. Every time I played spy I just rushed through everything because the longer you're there the longer you can get caught. I mean the reason the cloak&dagger was such a bad item is because it encourages you to camp in a corner jerking off instead of playing aggressive.