Risk of Rain 2

So I just saw this. Apparently Risk of Rain 2 will be in 3D. What do you think?
archive.is/0FykR

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/xCnlI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

But why?

finally, a sequel.

Oh boy, I can't wait to be killed many many times from things I was unable to see because they were behind me.

gitgud

inb4 the next game is N64-esque polygons
Glad indie studios are starting to climb back out of the pixelshit gutter, though.

But risk of rain 1 looked great

Nodevs go.

Chris is in this project

it's Unity, isn't it

Will it have 50 player multiplayer like risk of rain though

hard to tell from low res gifs, but it doesn't show any obvious unity traits.

Didn't Hopoo get scammed by Chucklefuck?

i would have prefered an expansion for RoR 1, first, few more maps, items and bosses, maybe 1 or 2 characters…
welp

Wasn't there a free update that added more items and characters?

dunno, last thing i remember was chef, payloader guy and some crab boss that was not implemented

well not like he could pull off a 3d game in gamemaker

Fuck that just give us mod tools and let the highest autists make piles of content

The crab boss was just fanart but it looked great

Spooky's house of jump scares is made in Game Maker

I can get behind this.

I hope this one has decent netcode at least.

I hope they title it something instead of just 2

RoR's engine was fucking dogshite anyway so if you're gonna start over from scratch when making a sequel then going 3D makes a fair bit of sense, opens the door for a lot more gameplay variety.

I want to fug providence

Looks like it could be fun

Beware of Blizzard
a name in-keeping with the original theme and also some words of wisdom.

It isn't. but seeing as he used gamemaker to make his other games I think he'd probably go for unity.

I love Risk of Rain but I have some serious doubts about this translating well into 3D.
Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Online multiplayer better work reliably this time around.

is that a wolfhead?
we furries nao?

My brain has a hard time with those first few frames. I think it's a snout of some type.

Also, checking those double dubs.

Might just be the item that stacks your attack speed

LOL

It looks good, and they're keeping the color pallette so that rocks
I don't know how they'll handle the story and the characters spawning moving all over the place in 3D, but I have faith in them
if the models look like these, then it'll be very nice

Btw I work at Ubisoft.

Absolutely perfect, his music really worked well with Ror and Deadbolt, good to see that he's back

Where's his necromancer game?

He scrapped it and reworked it into Deadbolt.

FUCK
YES

If I recall correctly, he's one of the few people who was fine, but don't quote me on that.

That's a shame. It looked really promising.

I'm wondering if it will still be rogue like, 'cause we all know what 3d rogue likes are like.
shit

Tell me how asome the new assassins creed will be

Which one? We're making 3 at once.

Sounds interesting to say the least

I want it to be good, I really enjoyed risk of rain, and wouldn't mind a much improved instalment, however I don't see it happening like this.

Looks like items are now visible on characters.

At one point he said he wants to come back to it later, so it might not be gone for good

That blows man, geez

is it a 3rd party controller?
did you try opening the official controller drivers exe with winrar then manually editing the hardware id to match the controllers id.

Try Joytokey.

I only ever used 360 controllers. It's the weirdest thing, too. It decides to work for like 5 minutes then it starts disconnecting and reconnecting about every 10 seconds nonstop.

Tried it. Still doesn't fix the connection issues. And yes, I've tried every usb port available on my rig.

My Thermal Harpoons better be punchy and satisfying as fuck. I wanna hear lock-on tones.

necromancer game never ever

Use QWER for the skills and the arrow pad for movement, works like a charm

Clearly a bird, the wings hit the snow at the end. Is this supposed to make me think it disappeared?

*sheaths katana*

Why the fuck would a bird go so far on snow? Its rather a indication something just became bird food.

I'm very okay with this concept. I hope it works.

It's not even pixel art you stupid fuck.

Why are people like you even allowed to talk?

Birds are fun

its supposed to make you think of something dying

If it died then where is the body?

In the bird's stomach.

it was a rabbit that was caught and carried away by a bird
can we please get back to the topic at hand

You made the off topic post pal, you can't ask to get back on topic.
Don't shit the bed if you are not prepared to lie in it.

nah, post birds instead

I'm a bit skeptical about this. This looks like less of a sequel and more of a side game. Sort of like the jump from 2D Megaman to 3D Megaman Legends. They share the name, but not the mechanics.

I expect a numbered sequel to build directly on the mechanics of the previous game, not replace them entirely.

all I wanted to do was bemoan the fact that the necromancer game that hoppo teased us with will never be made, the picture of the animal getting snatched by the bird was meant to be secondary

But you're not even a girl.

Reminger that there's gonna be flying with hopoo feathers in the 3D game, so you can fly around dodging shit even more

3D was a mistake.

There's a class with autoaim, the engineer
that doesn't look like him but it could be a new character with a similar ability or a new item

So a rogue-lite (?) arena shooter? I can dig it.

Quit ruining things.

I just flashbacked to Unreal Tournament 2004's survival horde mode being played in conjunction with leveling system mods.

They don't have to include every class from the original.

You mean Crimsonland?

That is not good pixel art. That's mediocre at best. If new pixel art can't even beat the old DS Castlevanias, it doesn't deserve to be called good.

You all faggots have lost your standards and now consider anything that isn't ten-pixel characters to be good pixel art.

You really think they are going to remove iconic character like the mercenary?
melee will be in the game, just different and most likely with buffed range and escape tools.

Have it seep outwards depending on how long you are stationary and stack. So rather and zig zagging back and forth in lines, he circles groups and moves through them to spread his toxin.

I didn't give a fuck about the first one but this looks promising.

I want to believe.

Dunno what that is. I just remember having a level up system that capstoned with an on-death self-targeting Ultima spell that wiped out everything nearby like a green-colored Redeemer blast.

Is'n that a fucking wolf from that nintendo furry franchise?
It's gotta be some sorta joke, RoR didn't have any furshit in it.

It's an item from the first game called Predatory Instincts. Literally a wolfskin hood.

Shit taste friend.

Or you just have shit taste

Oh okay then.
When things like that are visually depicted on model is always a plus.
Godspeed to them then.

That looks dope af yo.

I seem to remember a lot of posting a few years ago about how nobody is doing low poly and man wouldn't it be great if someone did low poly. I'm sick of pixel crap. Cave Story was good. I get it. Can we please move on?

Or you're just getting defensive because I pointed out that this shit looks just like every other fucking low quality indie game and can't even compare to pixel art from a decade or more ago. Even massively blown up, Ecclesia looks infinitely better and manages to be both more detailed and visually clear at the same time. Whichever chucklefuck made RoR doesn't realize that making enemies the same muted color as the background while simultaneously making all sprites tiny and the background cluttered in random pixels is a bad idea, because things will inevitably blend in and be lost in the visual clutter. Doesn't help that most sprites are featureless lumps of color (which also crumple into slightly smaller lumps of color as they die, making the living ones even more likely to blend in during the action) and that shit like missile smoke is ten times as detailed as the character or enemies. Don't even get me started on the fucking animations; they might as well not exist. In fact, the goddamn player character seems to have a two-sprite run animation.

It's an objective fact that RoR looks like absolute shit compared to any half-decent-looking 2D game. Hell, people (rightfully) shat on that Sword and Sworcery garbage that Literally Who was shilling for being low quality pixel shit, and RoR manages to look even worse than that. Pixel graphics have fucking regressed and you're too much of a retard to even see it.

2D stage design just has to not be done wrong to be good.
3D stage design has to be done RIGHT to be good.

I don't like anything I've seen so far, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

He says the systems work well, and I really want a good 3D roguelite, but after the shit we've gotten in the past I'll believe it when I see it

If you're dropping bait and salt like that, atleast compare RoR to something that looks actually good

Bait or not, you're why Holla Forums gets worse every day

RoR looks better than OoE, mate, because it's CONSISTENT. Igavania always had weird ass clashes of styles and 2D with low poly 3D that looks out of place. You're either baiting or have irredeemably bad taste.

Alright, Holla Forums. What's your favorite character, and why?

I'm all Engineer. Extremely versatile weapons. Grenades can fire down pits and give 3 chances to proc an ability per trigger pull, mines are great escape options that kick enemies backwards when they're following you or can be stacked on top of each other for a single titanic boss-killer trap, thermal harpoons offer a degree of tactical flexibility nowhere else in the game for being able to shoot in any direction/through terrain/at very long range, and turrets because I love drone/sentry weapons. They're good distractions, too.

I just wish I had some kind of speed booster like almost everyone else has. Those Goat Hooves, Hopoo Feathers, Jetpacks, and Scarves can't come fast enough. And I wish the Scepter did something more interesting for my turrets than let me carry a third. Like rocket pods or the ability to aim up and down or something. Alternatively, the bonus from Arms Race applying to them would be nice.

Mercenary.
Makes my dick rock hard.
Getting the Wicked Ring + other crit items lets you effectively windmill slash infinitely, turning you into a Magma Worm rodeo rider.

I usually only enjoy Engineer when I'm playing with command on, because holy fuck his mobility is shit. Stacking a bunch of Hoppo feathers lets you turn him into a near-invincible aerial bomber, since you can activate all of his skills while jumping.

Han-D for fist of god mode, Swordsman for combos

HAN-D
I LIKE MY SPACESHIP CLEAN

Han-D or Enforcer
Merc and Loader look cool but I haven't unlocked them and I'm too lazy to play enough to

I like to take it easy.

Isn't this studio literally just guys from /agdg/?

Why don't they come around to answer questions? Could Mark arrange it?

That's what I meant you dunce.

Lotta Han-D popularity here. I wasn't expecting that. I could never get a hold on melee characters in RoR.

Yeah, though I'm not sure if they migrated with us. If you let the title screen go long enough an AGDG monument will scroll by in the Project ACES logo style.

Mark, stop eating cake for like 5 seconds and arrange this

It's worth a try

3d pixelshit is that low poly (or "low poly", depending how incompetent the devs are), flat textures, highly stylized look. It's very distinct, and it's being copied everywhere.

Pretty sure they did m8

Where?

It was just announced.

Holy fuck I had forgotten about this game.

Bad news, too many shitposting niggers here

I remember a few months ago a dev from war for the overworld showed up in a thread about it and some faggot drove him off for using le reddit line breaks and not "assimilating into chan culture" before talking to people about his game, despite the fact that half of the anons posting in that thread were doing the same fucking thing

It's a slow process.

Fags who are that thin-skinned have no place on imageboards. Plebbit and neofag were specifically created to give those sensitive little cunts their heavily moderated safe spaces. Also War for the Overworld is a completely incompetent DF clone with DLCrape. There is nothing about it that is good, so who gives a fuck if that whiny millennial dev was "scared off" by one person pointing out that they didn't fucking belong here?

Good point. Just look an Yandere dev who just couldn't handle the bants.

I bet he hasn't added anything interesting since we stopped interacting with him.

While I do agree that thin skinned fags need to be bullied, I have the feeling that if hopoo does make a thread it's going to be spammed by some faggot using a proxy who hates video games

We're not talking about people staying here for their summer vacation, we're talking about game devs being invited for Q&As in single threads
And overworld isn't a DF clone you fucking retard, it's a dungeon keeper clone

It looks nice but I wonder how the level design is going to go.

Anons have the ability to ignore and not reply to posts that they don't like.

If you were born in the 80s or earlier, certainly you remember what your parents and teachers told you about non-violent "bullies" (irl shitposters), right? "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Words of fucking wisdom right there. That mindset is what chan culture was all about at its core. You could remove your bitch-filter and just say what you wanted. Now kids these days are being brainwashed into thinking words are violence (webm very related). Is it a wonder that there's so many easily triggered snowflakes that can't handle the bantz?

Why are you even here? There are highly moderated forums that ban all wrongthink and are exactly what you want.
That was a typo, as I have the DF thread open. It's a shit-tier DK clone, yes.

I'm starting to doubt your claims.

You don't need to walk on eggshells, just not shitpost the threads they're in to death
It's derailing on the same level as console war faggotry and slows any actual discussion to a halt as even other anons won't continue to talk about the games once that starts

No user, that's not how it works. If someone upsets me I have the right to have their lives ruined. I should feel safe to be the biggest faggot around with no repercussion.
I'm glad you pissbabies are having your toys and hubboxes removed smh

I don't care that you're being ironic, you should have your eyeballs ripped off and shoved down your throat, fucking faggot.

This is why you fuckbois never get laid 😔

If they can make it as fun as RoR was but in 3d and build on it a bit even I'd give it a GOTYOAT

Cool I guess. Risk of Rain was really shallow ("spam invincible frames through crowds over and over and over again until you fuck up and get one shot"), maybe this will have deeper combat and movement.

Been there, done that, got treated for crabs once because some goddamn stoner hippie chick didn't realize she had some. Meaningless sex is fucking overrated and you caring about it shows you're a piece of trash that should be left to rot in a ditch.

Hopoo has never stepped foot in this place. He posts in 4chan sometimes, and occasionally posted progress there during the development of Deadbolt.

The /agdg/ of Holla Forums and /agdg/ of 4chan are very different things and don't actually have a lot of overlap.

Reported?

basically cuckchanners are too retarded to just say polyshit

Kill yourself indie fucktard.

If you're going to make up figures why not say "Infinity percent of whites are raciss"?

Might be good

I'm happy for him, but damn. I gotta step it up.

/vg/'s dev threads are so much worse. Ours are a lot more constructive and have next to no shitposting, though I guess AMAs are a lot more difficult nowadays.

shitposting isnt as prominent as some people make it out to be, its certainly a lot better than it was. and if people would talk about video games more what little shitposting there was would get drowned out pretty fast. the problem is that there isnt a whole lot of new things to talk about and thats always the easiest to talk about.

Are you sure about that? I thought that he was posting on our >>>/agdg/ back when he was working on his necromancer game.

Literally fucking everyone was posting about that everywhere because people were excited
Maybe you just mistook someone else posting the art for him

It seems to concentrate in certain threads, though I don't get why.

the same threads for the most part have the same anons posting in them from the last time a thread about that topic was made.

Yeah, but then I wonder why shitposters don't bother to post in those. I generally see it in threads asking a question or discussing something new.

It's okay as long as the art is high-tier and not some shitty NES, made-in-paint blocky puke mess with no good shading.

i think you answered your own question. its still the same few people, for the most part they arent there just to shitpost, but to attempt to police the board into something they want.

Mark, please be useful and invite them for AMA

bump, because they just posted some shit
archive.is/xCnlI

FUCK
cautiously optimistic

Don't hate on an engine, hate on bad devs.

how is coop going to work?

Hang on, if Chucklefuck's so bad then why did they let the Stardew Valley guy keep most of the millions he made off his game?

Not arguing about Starbound since that was an undebatable disaster, I'm just curious about what you exactly mean.

Summerfags pooring in already?

I heard all they did for the publishing deal was make a barebones website, nothing else, and take their cut. But I don't know the terms or what the deal was.

no, just you

What's wrong with keyboard controls? I've never even played it with a joypad.

>Hopoo has to make a sequel to his best-seller because no critics gave a shit about Deadbolt that weren't comments like "is this Ronin?" and that one necromancer game
lmao

wait a moment
is this meme magic?

Mean but has a grain of truth.

Sad reality of the market.

well that just saved this game for me. This guys music is amazing, so as long as he can keep up to standard with what we've seen I might actually get this one.

weeew

Deadblot was better than Ronin 'cause it wasn't turn based.

RoR was a fun game. Back when it was new in one of the discussion threads on 4chan I was talking about my run which was literally all war banners all the time and some nice user made this image for it, thank you nice user.

Only stacks 8 times. Best thing to get tons of is barbed wire and then just run around while things explode off screen.

When the devs were asked why, they merely responded, jokingly, "why not"?

why

hur hur why not
No, seriously, I watched a bit of it on youtube and that's the answer they gave

The only answer, entirely dismissive, without any care.

Right, that game is also a walking simulator.

just saying it's possible, user.

nibba that shit was 2.5D Wolfenstein-tier

its not a walking simulator if it's got fail states m8

THEY HIRED DOBSON

If what I'm seeing on wikipedia is correct then it probobly was what it was meant to be to begin with.

what was the point of going to 3d? ror 1's style was completely fine

I see nothing wrong with it.
The first game is fine as it is, it doesn't need anything else.

I assume they didn't have any good ideas for a new Risk of Rain that would make it a worthy sequel.

They could have went the afterbirth rout of adding x amount of shit, but they probably know better than that.
I just hope it's going to be fun

You do realize pixel art never looked like that right?
Besides, that kind of high resolution pixel art looks like absolute dog shit. Your opinion is invalid.

Yummers.

Is it always the same faggot that makes this very specific kind of autistic long rant post with shitty opinions or just a sign of autism?

More like ZX Spectrum, C64 style.

More gameplay depth rather than "shoot left or right". 3 dimensional movement greatly increases gameplay versatility and aids to pave the way for far more interesting mechanics.

RoR looked like fucking garbage. The only upside is that the tiny enemies could all fit on the screen if your resolution was set high and you turned the zoom off. I really want to love its arcade action but its focus on RNG and power-ups makes solid action fall to the back and you have to focus on making the most of your power-up drops.

I'd like to argue otherwise

what the fuck is this?

The fuck

The two circles are from a retard autistic shill who floods Holla Forums with stuff about breaking oaths. It's like if you took a "you're free from chain emails' curses" comment and made a cult out of it.

As for the original sauce of the pic, I have no idea.

The only thing RoR was missing was content
A solid action combat base is half of what makes a roguelite good, but the other half is the strength of its levels and progression

Well surely now the case is closed, obviously those graphics someone slapped on in mspaint were the most interesting part of the picture and now the thread can rest knowing you've solved the mystery to everyone's satisfaction

I'm gonna make detective any week now, right chief?

I'm just saying whoever made it is the kind of autist who tries to force memes and shill Holla Forums relentlessly.

Well that's not even a solid lead
This is why you'll never make it out of traffic, faggot, you gotta earn your tendies to get the big boy work

scaled them back up for your viewing pleasure.

To clarify, the guy spams here because he's a vehement anti-Mason.

lol

this is hilarious. because when everything will break down, they're first ones to suffer.

It's almost like there's a tight knit community where all these devs converse and talk about the games they work on.

Dr Pavel I'm FAG

Russian kids getting some UV light so they can produce some vitamin D.

The pedo wizzard using his magic crystall ball to hypnotize his next victims into submission

He deserved it.

Chucklefuck is an actual good publisher as unbelivable as that might sound.
The only shit game they've published thus far has been the own they developed themselves.
they're still SJW cuckholds

>cuckholds
cuckolds. At the moment you're describing a holder of cucks.

well, they are the publisher, they "hold" people who want to get cucked
therefore cuckholds

You're right.

RoR's art is quite mediocre and I wouldn't praise it, but I think it's presentable. It's at least more consistent than shit like McPixel or Hyperlight Drifter. I had no trouble telling what was what during gameplay, at least until it becomes too chaotic due to the sheer amount of enemies. I'm not saying you should settle for mediocrity but the game isn't selling itself with it's "super awesome retro pixel graphics" as its selling point like most indie shits do.
Plus, 1 or 2 man dev teams don't have the funds or time to achieve AA quality graphics. That's an unreasonable expectation. There's a limit to what most people can do, or they end up spending 9 years like the fag who was making Owlboy. I'd like to have more games with art that rivals Metal Slug but it's just not gonna happen these days.

To be honest, the art in RoR does become quite chaotic very fast, especially due to the fact that most of the colors in the game palette are pastel. The bigger enemies and bosses look appealing, but anything smaller than a crab is too indistinct and low-detail, including characters.

That's actually one of my major gripes with the game, even without the thousands of particles and effects, it is often quite hard to tell what's going on. However, I do not focus on graphics beyond their hindrance on the gameplay, and good pixel art is, indeed, very hard to do.

From what I remember I was judging the camera movement and effects of my skills to tell where I am, if I couldn't see my own sprite. The game definitely would benefit from being a bit less busy, you're right.
Not much harder than any other art form. It just takes time to git gud at it.
I hope some people can still appreciate decent pixel art. Seeing people's aversion to pixel art in general makes me a bit nervous.

I don't think anyone's averse to pixel art itself so much as we're tired of seeing it as a cop-out instead of a design choice.

I definitely am too, I simply get the impression some people are tired of it in general because of that.

Even games with good pixel art are routinely called pixelshit
It's like it's reflex by this point

I don't want to add to ">Holla Forums is one person" posting but seriously, what happened?

I still love RoR. It's just the usual shitposters that have nothing better to do.

Really, I think it's neat that they are making the jump to 3d considering the first game felt like a full package that didn't need a sequel… though the other part of me thinks it looks sort of like a F2P mmo. Still, it doesn't look terrible.

I still like it, the 3d thing they're making looks like shit though.

Stardew Valley did it right though.

Walmart actually tricks consumers by putting a limited amount of their product at a heavy discount in the front; thing is they're banking on you going into the back for other supplies and just picking up the previous products in their respective isles where they're the true purchase price. Stardew Valley tries to mimic this to an extent.

I mean anyone who actually believes corporations are their friends are cucked beyond salvation anyways tbh

I am a meme slut for Paul Blart memes

Corporations aren't our friends any more than whores are our wives. Still, sometimes you gotta pay for groceries and other times you gotta pay for poonanie. Also, fuck chucklefish.

On a more related note, I think I'm down with this direction for RoR2. I think I got what I wanted out of the original as a 2d game, so maybe 3D will open up new avenues for gameplay. Like more fun/ interesting puzzles to unlock relics.

You really should kill yourself

I doubt you're still here after the retarded responses you got, but I just want to say I fully agree with you and I'm going to play Ecclesia now thanks to your posts.
I hate this fucking site.

It's going to be pozzed

You can't just say an /agdg/-devved game is going to end up pozzed without providing proof user

HELL YES, 3D RISK OF RAIN IS A GO!!

I never even thought that it might be a fucking hat…

What the fuck else could it be, a wolf head with tiny baby legs?

I thought it was a ring, to be honest.

user, that's the Mercenary. His envirosuit is pretty obvious.

Only compared to the crap that is original game's graphics.

me too

Those are missiles. They do that in the first game as well.

you still want to see it

That's pretty cool too…

BUT WHEN WILL IT BE DONE?!

As every decent man should be.

gameplay might actually be good this time

because its not the first game