Can we please talk about Dwarf Fortress?

Can we please talk about Dwarf Fortress?

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622
dwarffortresswiki.org/Tileset_repository
bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
archive.fo/CeKsC
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110704
dfst.org/en/stories/304
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dwarf_fortress_mode#Gameplay_user_interface
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

WHAT'S YER OFFER?

You wanna talk about it? But you have nothing to say?

i dont want to buy another monitor for stonesense reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee guys from other thread

Meme game

I have this picture that someone made

I planned very purposefully to not include anything interesting in the OP. That way, people get baited into discussing about why I didn't include anything in the OP.

Its very meta.

Reported for baiting flamewars?

No ones flaming.

Nah

Okay, first question. How do I get these visitors out of my fort, just shut down the tavern? They're making me drop to 40-50fps alongside all the puppies and cats I have.

Okay, I can safely say I've spent at least 40 hours total playing this game, and I still don't understand much. Most graphics packs I find fuck up the display in some way and the ASCII comes off as overwhelming trying to have my ADHD understand it. Have I simply not spent enough time with it? Should I read and look for tips first? Am I just retarded?

Obviously you need to lock all the doors and slaughter the entire tavern.

It's the best game to hear about but the worst game to actually play. A fucking ASCII game shouldn't require a good rig to avoid killing your system, nor should thirdparty management programs that hook onto the main-game be an advised way to play on account of the obtuse UI.

GPU load != CPU load

GPUs have a central processing unit

You could just download the starter pack if you really wanted to.

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

Phoebus is probably the best graphics pack out there for new players next to probably Gemset I think. But you should really get used to playing with an ASCII tileset. There are plenty of them to choose from.
dwarffortresswiki.org/Tileset_repository

I use this one at 1920x1080. Also, just learn as you play. Reading the wiki as you play helps a lot too.

Lucky you, Dwarf Therapist doesn't work anymore for managing labors.

VPL

but you understand they're different, right?

Maybe I'll get into dorf forts once toady finishes everything under the "creation myths and magic systems" section on the to-do list

Realistically, it will probably take 10 more years to finish the development of magic.

Only because it'll take the fucker that long to get around to it
He can pump out big ridiculous features over the course of months, it's just that he'd rather focus on shit like randomized heirloom garbage affecting grand scale economics for the sake of producing more monty python-tier shenanigans in gameplay instead of stuff that would actually make it more fun to play

adventure or fortress mode?

Just set the tavern to locals-only, they'll probably clear out eventually. If not, kill them all.

He does have pretty fucked up priorities. I don't want to try to get back into DF until the next big update, whatever or whenever that is.

My biggest problem with DF is it's very, very hard for me to start a fort. I'm the kind of guy who, when presented with a blank slate and told "do anything," will freeze up and blank out myself. It's a strange problem. I guess I'm just not a very creative person.

He really needs to do a QOL arc soon. Some of the menus could be better organized among other things.

I also dont care if I can make 500 different types of cloth if theyre all functionally identical, except for a hidden 10% bonus to how much a dwarf likes rope reeds or some retarded shit like that

Rouge likes are boring.

When is the Magic update coming OP?

Shit, sorry didn't read the thread

for an autist toady sure is a lazy cunt

underage

bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Take a look and make some inferences. Best case scenario: single-digit number of years.

He usually does a big release once a year, maybe a few big fixes too

How does not liking procedurally generated garbage have to do with age?

Legends

Dwarf Fortress can run just fine on a shitty computer, just limit your population to around 100 or so and use a smaller embark size.

World age is a bigger factor than embark. Many civilizations and a 400+ year history? Enjoy a 30s pause between seasons.

Nice watermark.

It's also good to avoid rivers if you're having speed problems. Which sucks because I love building drowning chambers, such a cool trap.

What does Dwarf Fortress have to do with rougelikes?

The Adventure mode is a roguelike.

I know that, but I'm more just counter-shitposting ff2937 who seems to think it is.

why should I play a game when the developer thinks it's okay to waste a load of time implementing homosex animals and other pointless shit as performance continues to go down into the shitter?

When will you pissbabies finally learn smh.

Counter-sage. :^)

archive.fo/CeKsC

It's always a shame when what the developer wants is incongruous with what the players want.

You counter saged me, but can you counter-counter sage me?

Oh no, I'm too weak to handle that level of bumping!

the fact that there hasn't been any hot fix to prevent weapon traps from crashing the game makes me very annoyed

Here's come rescue!
Is there any good mods for Dwarf Fortress?

Yes, yes you are

It's goofy, but, one of the most interesting mods I came across was a conversion mod that turns the setting of Dwarf Fortress into the Mushroom Kingdom from Super Mario. It allows you to play as Toads, Koopas, or Shy Guys, and they all have differences biologically and mechanically. It's the strangest, most surreal shit; especially because it's not any less bloody or violent than normal Dwarf Fortress.

So you just made a pointless thread that will discuss about your lack of OP instead of DF? Kill yourself.

There are no good mods
Other than stuff like DFHack for performance stuff

brb, playing Rimworld.

dwarves are cool but elves are better marriage material

elves are faggots and this game is one of the few that captures the hatred between dwarves and elves

So I punched my first Aquifier

I initially thought aquifiers are like pockets of water, they turn out to be an entire z-level of water. How am I suppose to use them to my advantage besides a well?

Have you got the one with the orc?

Why don't you create a thread when Toady actually fixes his fucking game and stop focusing on trivial shit such as fat layers and toenails.

this'un?

Yes thank you.

the hatred where they trade me exotic animals in cages for a bunch of carved rocks? oh yeah what bastards.

or slaughter them and steal everything until they declare war. was your decision to do business with the treefags.

why would i kill them for hauling off a bunch of newbie crafts that are too low a value to greedily horde or use in my fortress? instead of just drawbridge smashing items into nothing i actually get something awesome out of it.

do you shoot the trashman and santa claus in the face too?

DF is all about making your own fun happen, so yea, I shoot Elf trashman and Elf Santa in the face and look through their pockets.

Pure coincidence that they worship and protect dwarvenkinds most vicious predator

Are there any mods that change the UI/X to be something actually usable? A total redo of how the menus work, that is?

It’s irrelevant to the point being made, you autistically pedantic faggot.

Sure I do. I just wanted them (you)'s

I like to do small embarks and make use of everything. 1x1 or 2x2 or 3x3, for example. Minimal caverns, migrants off, and only get new guys from breeding. It's challenging, sometimes. Though, I don't like the military stuff.

There is also a giant DnD Mod,

wow when did they add that? what happens if you dot the land with little emergency shelters? will they still prefer to climb trees?

Fucking git gud and download a nice tilepack, something like Ironhand is rad as fuck.
You fags are not even worthy of playing dorf fort, I bet you can't even remember all the keyboard combinations for building and tasking

It pains me that Dorf has become popular enough to attract shitposters like some other threads always do. Dorf Forts used to be chill as hell but now that the game has been making really popular stories and has become a part of the culture here, it attracts shitposters a lot. It's not nearly as bad as Pokemon or Smash Bros, but it's still disappointing to see. Things like Wario threads, Kirby threads, Donkey Kong threads, and Yume Nikki threads and shit like Monster Hunter threads have always kept a level of chill to them.

I've never been one to pick on others for using tilesets or using various add-on tools like Stonesense, but I guess I can see the appeal. I only ever meme on people for liking elves; as long as you're not a pointy-eared tree-fucker, you're an alright guy with me.

Seriously though you have quite a few whiny fucks coming in and getting all smug and condescending because people are proud to be so immersed into DF. I remember some dude months ago going all
Like shit I wouldn't ditch DF over something like that. I actually think the UI is good because you can do something in a mere second with a quick key combination instead of having to spend a good 10 seconds scrolling through a menu to get to what you want. It feels very natural.

But yeah DF is like Morrowind in the fact that it's more for people who have the attention span to immerse themselves into a world and learn how to work with it. The two games have blown up in popularity so much that they've gotten the ire of people who they're not really meant for.
Morrowind has the whole
thing when you can actually just spend some time training your accuracy so you can actually hit shit, and DF has the
thing where people complain because they don't have the patience to learn to play a more complex vidya. And most of the time people don't even give a shit; they're just here to fuck up the threads by forcing arguments to happen when imageboard culture is all about being nice and humble and posting content you believe will be fun and good for the thread. Carrying on a personal argument for so long just seems rude, by the more polite culture imageboards were meant to have.

It got added with multi-tile trees and climbing, but I don't think it was a conscious decision. It's just that they climb in dangerous situations, but not when the danger has passed, getting them stuck up there.

user even daggerfall is a casual baby game compared to DF
Morrowang might have a slight barrier to entry in both mechanics and current tastes but at least your average retard could still look at the screen at any point and actually be able to visually parse what they're looking at

How is more than 500 of anything in an ASCII game not perfectly fine on a toaster?

It's heavily cpu dependent. It eats a lot of resources to make big worlds. Which is why you get so much actual content gameplay wise instead of fancy grafix.

The carps have been dethroned?

The game does shit like make a cat think about a particular item in a stack of thousands of bits of food.

per turn.

Protips:
DFHack can do some automatic shit to improve your FPS. You can also use it to manually clean up garbage like tattered clothing.

Turning off temperature can save you FPS but that's gay as hell so don't bother. If you can't burn to death in magma, why play DF?

If you need to strip mine an area for rock, close it off with a door and lock it once you're done. That area, which eats CPU like mad when pathfinding, is now inaccessible to pathfinding. Improving the pathfinding for dorfs, especially by using verticality, should improve FPS as well. Also make any dead-end areas the lowest possible traffic setting and common paths through the fort high traffic.

Limit the amount of items wherever possible. Atom smash anything you don't want, like low-quality rock. If you have large stockpiles of rock crafts, stop making them until you get low. I think DFHack also has ways to set production quotas so they can stop after they hit a target.

RETURN THE SLAB

Oh certainly, don't get me wrong there. Morrowind just has that entry barrier that casuals whine about so it's turned into shitpost fuel. I'm pretty sure quite a few people people who enjoy Dorf Fort would like Morrowind, too.
I feel like I'm the only guy who finds Morrowinds vanilla graphics to look gorgeous and absolutely perfect for the atmosphere of the game

It's not that they're perfect, it's just that everyone who tries to improve them is an idiot
Except for the fog, that's perfect for the purpose it serves, and improving it would require immense wizardry

That’s realistic cat behavior, though.

Fuck off, kike.

Atleast I'm not a casul fuck

Carps have been dethroned for a while, last I heard capybaras are the most dangerous animals right now.

Some people like this shit y'know mang.

The menus have a learning curve but it's not that steep. Also I don't know of any.

People that can't play DF are 89 iq.

Guess I'm just going to play dumb video games for dumb people while you smart people play DF, a smart game for highly intelligent people.

I guess so.

Inb4 you say I'm a retard, I actually know how to play the game, and even I agree it's a convoluted mess.

Source?

I'm glad DF is unmolested and made by guys who know exactly what they want their game to be. open source games without a creative leader often get ruined by SJW faggots (pic related).

What a waste of time. Tell me when his sieges aren't "working as intended" anymore so i can come back to play.

So in essence the dev is too autistic to relinquish some details for performance optimizations?

I just really, really like the trailer music

The whole point is setting yourself up to fail, otherwise it's just boring. "Losing is fun" means exactly that., so stop building sound stable fortresses and start building cartoonishly evil doomsday fortresses instead.

Yeah, nah. Try fucking harder.

nope

Except it's CPU intensive and dies quickly because he can't make it run past one core. So even and intel I7 can't run this shit past 300 dwarves. Boy I really love playing dwarf encampment with 100 dwarves in a optimized trash looking space. Imagine if it was multicore and we could play in year 250 next to a highly populated goblin fortress with our 500+ dwarves.

Yeah but where is the fun in
I wanted to be actually dominated by an unstoppable enemy. Instead it's so pisseasy that you can literally have legendary dwarves with 2 years of normal training. Nothing ever happens in the first 5 years except werebeasts and the occasional forgotten beast that dies to a giant cave spider.

If he made the game less intimidating, a lot of retards would flood in. I prefer the community being a few neckbearded spergs

and while open source would be nice, I suspect the source code is an arcane tangled web held together by duct tape and autism, rather than some well commented, best-practice formatted, clearly structured library

reported

the face made me giggle

Go excuse faggotry somewhere else.

Are human women just useless or what?

Embarking on wilderness tiles is easy, who would have guessed. Why don't you try a terrifying glacier instead?

NICE SPELLING FAGTRON
I WILL KILL EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU RETARDED UNDERAGE REDDIT PIECES OF SHIT

Already did dickhead, no plump helmets, no starting animals(besides the ones carrying the embark wagon). Had to make a new world several times too to get a terrifying glacier. Even with these challenges the game is piss easy. But everytime I mention this there will always be some guy to bring a new challenge that is borderline impossible. Yes I already embarked next to a necromancer tower. The first one attacked me with a few elf corpses and walked along the edge of the map then left. The second time I got attacked by a huge army of undead within the first year but I just dedicated the first year to a cavern passage followed by a trap into the cavern so that the undead could kill the cavern life. It was a bad idea, later in the fortress life I found the second cavern that was connected to the first one. The undead pathed into my fortress and killed 8 of my military dwarves The only time I've lost a fortress to enemies is when I first started and got a werebeast rip everyone up and when I found the circus the first time.

Its not even that CPU intensive, the bottleneck lies in RAM latency and cache size.

Basically if you have a theoretical 2 gigs of cache the game will run at 100FPS forever.
Faster CPUs are better because they process cache faster, which is why an i7 is better than an i5 for example.

what are you, some kinda faggot?

someone post the Blaze comic shitting up rouge threads

Maybe he could make the game actually hard instead of relying on a shitty UI. That's like if there was some hobby where to become a professional in it, you would have to eat shit. "Eating shit is so hard, it keeps the normalfags out."
Tbqh, if you've actually played the game you'd know it's smooth sailing once you know how to use the UI correctly. Then you just destroy your base by opening the circus to fight invulnerable demons.

Don't know what you're looking for in this thread. Aside from updates in 5-20 years that fix things like training so combat rooms aren't necessary to have a functioning military and having actual sieges where the AI can remove blocks/destroy walls/doors , what do you think can make combat fort losses possible?

they ain't shit once you avoid their webs.

If eating shit would keep normalfags out Id eat 3 bowls a day.
You are complaining that gitting gud at the game is the same as it being easy.
Lets go a step further then, you dig out a 9x12 room with a few farmplots, a bed and a table, a kitchen and a still. Wall off the entrance, congrats, you won the game, youre a real champ now.
The games difficulty scales to whatever goals you set yourself fam. If your goals involve a surface lava moat on a glacier youre gonna have a lot more difficulty than your goal is to survive in a woodland.
I bet youre one of those people that complained that Vanquish was a gears of war clone.

To wash away the woes by complaining. Because I know Toady and his cancerous forums community aren't listening. I'm sorry to everyone in this thread I offended. You won't hear complaints form me anymore.

I'm just as burned out as you tbh. Aside from building a magma calculator I don't have anything left to do either.

at least 4/vg/ has chill df threads

>>>/out/ and stay out.

Where else would he get his /d/

it should be mentioned that all the races play differently too bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110704

shyguy:

Is there anything new since the minecarts?

Sauce?

If you mean the thread it's just the state of Holla Forums.

what? i think Holla Forums can handle a bit of complaining. if people dont want to engage you they dont have to.

Just goes to show how the hatred for SJW's can blind people on here. They wont use the code because a matter of principle even though it doesn't mean anything.

yeah. people are reacting to things before they happen, before they even start to happen, because they worry about how it might turn out in relation to sjws.
its living in fear, and its self destructive.

Fort mode now has inns, churches, bards, and even mercenaries you can hire.

Ravendil's Quest.

I would just say
But it's not hard just to fork open-source shit over.

It doesn't crash much but it's timing is impeccable.

Or you can just play older versions and ignore all the crap on the new updates. Last time I checked a new update on their forums all the comments were complains

May be it was because of it. Also turn on seasonal autosave. And if you use DFhack stop, shit fixesa lot but its unstable.

Staying away from rivers and oceans helps too. They're not too bad on their own, but if you interact with them, digging channels or whatever, it can be processing intensive. Also DFhack has some handy FPS boosters.

You can make water based traps, like drowning chambers or water streams that push enemies off a narrow bridge into a pit of spikes or whatever. You can also use them to put waterfalls in populated areas of your fort, dorfs love the mist from them and can even be cleaned off walking under one.

A lot of open source dev communities inevitably get colonized by SJWs pushing for more tolerance and acceptance and shit like that instead of just focusing on making something that's good. Yeah you can always fork it or something but it splits the community every time and usually just kills momentum for the game x or at least seriously slows it down.

i, for one, am not even TOUCHING this game until it looks and plays acceptably. there is no excuse for a game that requires some effort.

Thanks user, I'm running DFhack because it's in the LNP but I don't think I actually use any of it's features.
Can I still run Dwarf Therapist without it?

How will Dwarf Fortress ever recover, now that everyone knows some random faggot doesn't like it?

Yes, separate thing.

Dew it. You've got the numbers

Behold, the average HUDfag.

laughingwhores.jpg

I WANT THIS MEME TO DIE IT'S BEEN DECADES YOU CUNTS, DECADES

a text based game with fps issues.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dorf Fort is the only game I can think of that's so completely process-heavy that this happens. Other games that have FPS issues at least partially have the problem be graphical in nature.

It can only use 1 core. Speaking of which, multi threading dorf fort will be glorious when it finally happens

I hope he makes it happen but plenty of multi-million dollar AAA titles fail at multi-core so I'm not holding my breath.

So you're telling me that strong independent aryan neckbeards who need no succubus, with a burning passion in their hearts get their shit pushed in every time by a bunch of pansies? Invariably? Wew.

So the community was already in a state where it wouldn't survive an odd draught. Because after a grand total of one fork all it takes is not to let those who showed themselves to be destructive faggots into position of power. Because there is only so much people interested in niche topics per generation.

So game x wasn't as engaging as it appeared to be. Because If there is at least one NEET autist with skills who really cares he'll do it all by himself if needed, but a bunch of ideaguys with muh RL obligations would produce the exact situation you're talking about.

Wew, those SJWs are sure a conceptually new, impossible to handle threat to open source.

not a threat to open source, just communities. Subverting the moderator positions of a website is hardly pushing the shit in of the minority voice who are opposed to their agenda.

You know exactly what I'm talking about, you obtuse faggot. Even when it's not actually SJWs, in open source projects, the (usually original members) technical minded people tend to get displaced by socially minded people as far as leadership positions and community interaction goes, which ultimately moves the project in a subpar direction.

Of course I know and this is why I'm pointing out that the great and terrible SJWs are merely symptoms of deeper problems.
Open source by it's very fucking definition means "leadership" is meaningless. The only way to "displace" "technical minded" people is to fucking kill them and wear their skin. And you know exactly what I'm talking about, you agenda-pushing faggot.

UI is fine, do you even use TUI based *nix utilities?

bumping for this

Imagine how awful the pathfinding traffic and FPS death was

What agenda am I pushing? Anti SJW? If you've got a problem with that, you're in the wrong place.

Why is this discussion in a dorf thread? Botha yall fuck off

Yeah it really doesn't belong here, but don't make the mistake of letting SJWs or their pals think they're in good company around here, or their population will swell like locusts. They've killed so many communities in that same way, just like they kill open source projects because usually the technical minded folks actually responsible for building it are too meek or autistic to ignore influence from interlopers.

this was my main thought when I shitposted about DCSS. the devs seem like well-intentioned, technical people who just want to make the community happy.

but the DCSS community is stamping their feet about "cultural appropriation", or making sure the level generator never spawns anything resembling a swastika. they're making good devs put effort into places they shouldn't be because they don't want to argue and just do whatever the community wants.

The jewish agenda. The same agenda that got your Rothschild-backed anthropomorphic orange Israeli parade marshal elected because your jew is supposedly better than Soros. While both of them are distracting us goyim from the real problems.

Fine, just remember one of pollock mantras when you ears deep in identity politics shit: NSJWs won't go away if you ignore them, just like the commie variety.

Can you actually play using Stonesense now? Because that would make me try to do autism again. Video related.

Oh it's Holla Forums again.

perhaps you're too new to remember imageboards have always had anons embedded in every other site, and because of that you'd have a real-time news source and stream of new content.
now that you have an imageboard where everyone's afraid of going to other sites, you can't use 8ch as a news source or source for new content - y'know, the things the internet is for?
i don't give a shit what legitimate grievances you have with cucked administration of 4chan, you'd just as much have such grievances with cucked administration of google, youtube, twitter, etc. yet that's not stopping you from embedding youtube videos on this board, using @infinitechan when shit breaks or using google reverse image searching.

so how about instead of trying hard to fit in by telling people to fuck off as if you have any such power on this site, or trying to convince the world hitler did nothing wrong while also making sure no one comes or leaves this site, you learn how to fucking internet you goddamned useful idiot.

You have no idea how easy it is to build a successful fortress, once you've overcome the UI then it really is simple to do then it immediately becomes boring. Sometimes I play older versions for the buggy hilarity (boiling rain that melts everything, murderous CPU killing giant Mosquito swarms), or invincible nightmares like the original debut of Forgotten Beasts and Undead.

Other times I just pretend I'm a cartoon villain and do the stupidish shit just because I can and see how far I can go with it.

Reported.

How do you actually manage to fall for that shit even though it's a response to an image that contains the exact same text? All too easy, no challenge at all.

staying in a shell to decay seems to be the lesson people have "learned" from recent ordeals. its very /r9k/.

hey, when people come back to Holla Forums with a haul of tumblr and cuckchan images that means we dont have to go.

You mean real life?

It's practically the best template comic around, how could you not? It's good news to me either way, I never really put much stock in that as a baiting tactic but you know - the time finally came to try it and it's a total keeper.

what if its the surroundings that turn animals gay? like how evil means youll be dealing with undead

Is it so much to ask that it also be evil?

i have enough trouble with carved bone dildos coming to life without them actively seeking butts to plant themselves in.

Gay undead inanimate objects are an integral part of Toady's vision, if not the very foundations of it.

very well. time to make logic gates out of them.

Can i see a full pick?

It's pretty straightforward to mod in genitals, you just have to edit a couple text files. With a little creativity you could get some rape going too, editing the attacks of the things you want to get raped by into attacks that target your genitals with theirs. Bonus points if they're also grappling you.

Does this shit fucking work, because if it does I’ll have to install this thing and a GUI to enjoy the fuck out of this madness.

Oh
what the christ.

Also curious about this.

This. dfst.org/en/stories/304

Actual autists have troubles playing dorf because contrary to popular belief, 90% of the more complex game mechanics are hidden from the player. Once you get past the UI you aint gonna have much trouble with the game itself.

What do you mean by that? Are you talking about the AI pathfinding or something?

So TES threads have evolved from their porn mod showcase era?
Good.

Im talking about the level of control over what happens.
You have significant level of control in the game but you can only vaguely set the outcome you want and the game will sort it out. The combat system for example is insane but you dont actually order specific attacks, only a general kill order. You CAN minmax shit down to material color but you dont have to if you just want functionality. People not knowing the game itself assume that aurora-tier minmaxing is required to play it when it isnt at all. At the core its an industry/city manager like any other, just with incredibly complex underlying mechanics.

You can only masturbate to shit mods so much before you kill yourself or a neighbor puts you out of your misery.

epic web site rivalry bro
i bet he goes to 9GAG too xdd

Can I play as a shygal?

Are we being raided by genuine retards or something? I just looked for a guide on what to do at game start to survive and figured out how everything works. They dont even have the obscure ascii graphics since graphic packs exist, what is so complicated?

To be honest this is pretty realistic.

Realistic or not thats how it works.
My point is people, and by people I mean faggots, act like its aurora when its not, it just has a clunky control scheme but its perfectly serviceable by anyone who ever played WoW for example, building and designating keybinds are practically no different from skill rotation queues.

I had the same issue until a month ago, combining the wiki with these videos now has me actually able to build a self sustaining fort, now I need to learn how to run a military.

Nothing. The "le dwarf firtresss is hard!" is a shitty meme created autist on the forums and reddit. Anyone has some spare time can easily learn the game in a day.

Here ya go.

Thanks user.

No problem. I used to have a collection of DF flowcharts but I lost them all.

Some friendly tips on gear: Shield material doesn't matter in regards to defense, just bashing enemies with it, so if you're scarce on metal, make leather or wooden shields. Chain mail grants your dwarves a lot of protective coverage so that should be the first thing they all get. Marksdwarves should have light armor and bucklers because they shouldn't be getting into melee anyway and heavier armor will slow them down too much, I think it affects their rate of fire.

The only thing that is difficult is wrapping your head around the UI and how the game world functions from a visual perspective.
Once players get over that hurdle then it isn't really hard at all.
I managed to do it without tilesets or any addons and I'm glad I didn't.

i went in to it with friends, which helped me, because we got to encourage eachother, compete and share what we learn.

Rimworld is a better game, at least in rimworld you don't control a bunch of childlike manlet communists who try to drink away their problems.

Though I'm sure its easy for you autists to identify with the above, you realize animals can refuse to breed because they're homosexuals in this game right? 40% of dwarves are either asexual or homosexual by default and that seems like a silly number to me. Its only getting worse and worse focusing on this kind of stuff, I stopped playing when a tranny in the community got a bunch of baybies to cry at toady and the makers of masterwork until he removed his concubines because they offended one person.

One modder started talking shit about another mod called rimjobworld adding stupid shit like rape to rimworld and people mostly called him a fag and told him he was overreacting before making a comparability mod for his mod as a fuck you.
Far better community, far more fun game.
I can see why you'd play this game if you picked it up early and spent so long getting good at it but you're holding on to a rotting piece of shit right now.

hey if the game had graphics youd get a little gay too. you have no idea.

I've built 200-dorf forts with vanilla graphics and no use of Dwarf Therapist whatsoever.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.

The only reason why any one should use it would be to autistically see what dorf would be best at what job.

This is probably bait. But it was made with some effort so I'll bite. 40% of gay dwarves is clearly bullshit number. More like 5-10% at best. Give proof or fuck off. Quality of masterwork is unrelated to dwarf fortress as whole.
Compared to dwarf fortress vanilla rimworld is shit. Most glaring flaws are terrible rng surgery, lack of proper metalworking, lack of seeds, lack of proper combat training. Research has terrible pacing, as you nearly instantly go from tribal to industrial level, skipping medieval. Lack of z-levels results in much more simple bases. Also no complex traps as that requires depth as well (and magma). Mining components for machines is hilariously retarded. Having 10-15 colonists at best versus 200 dwarves is just pathetic. Much less enemy and animal variety. And I could go on.
Mind you a lot of these things can be fixed with mods. But is it really rimworld if you have to mod the shit out of it just to have decent game? Dwarf fortress is good to decent from the start. And there are so many thing you can't mod in like z-levels, magma, minecarts. So no, rimworld is good, but still worse then dwarf fortress.

Yeah, I managed my military like this:

I was going to reply to it but then I saw the flag and decided not to bother.

I do agree though, Rimworld is just a normalfag-friendly Dwarf Fortress; i.e. just Dwarf Fortress mechanics simplified to a paper-thin level. It needs to do more of its own thing, ramp up the "Space Western" vibes and content, bolster its own identity and style of gameplay.

My experience with the stones and "era of guile":

Mine, mine, mine mine, mine, mine, mine mine.
Made some nice flooding defences on the grand hall.

Year2: Everything is fine, getting worried. No gobos or rogue elves.

Year3: No caravan, for some reason. Running very low on food.

Year3: Mine is full of undead, has probably been for about a year or so. Don't know what to do, decide to flood it. Obvious fail happens, but I am left with 6 dwarves, and completely flooded mines.

Year4: Work my mine up, but undead stream out of the flooded area. Only now realize that all my drowned might have turned.

Year 5: Expedition fails, the undead storm the fort. I have but one advice: Never flood the mines.

Pic. not related, or is it?

Why would anyone try to flood the mines?

Civilization cant function in df with 2% fags. So now in df around 2% of fags, because more cause death of civilization.Fags tried to make toady have 5-10% of fags but civilization just die because of them.

I did it as "the last defence", but it turned out fairly bad, since I had no way to get to the valve that could unflood half of the mines. Minor design flaw.
I was a bit pissed off by it because I had fairly good militia that might have been able to deal with the undead, but, well, I flooded the mines. Tough shit. Never thought that the drowned dwarves could actually be so strong.
One wrong move.

Water is really bad against undead. Because they ignore it. And "cloud-made" undead can ignore fucking magma and everything else. But I think its patched now. I made a HUGE wall around fort to prevent clouds from entering. But clouds ignore walls apparently and can only be stopped by roof, not sure if you need walls at all.

Something like that happened to me once too and I Think it was the only time I got really angry at Dwarf Fortress. I used a flood trap to dispose of a werepanda outbreak and ended up destroying my fort, which I was somewhat proud of for once.

Flooding might work but you need to design fort around it. Water is not really fast on big distances and you need a lot of reservoirs around to quickly flood it. One mistake and you will never be able to dry it.

I've never been that capable at fort design. I don't have the proper mind for good planning and layout.

Its not really hard, you just need to think ahead. What do you need for this? Just a few huge reservoir filled with water at least twice as big as rooms under it. And a same size reservoir under it to drain(or just holes to underground level). And a few covered holes to drain the water afterwards. Oh, and holes in 1st water tank here and there. And better make it 2 or more levels hight.
After you can even put a few pumps to pump water from lower tank back into a higher one. And utilize them to have a nice waterfall. Bitches love waterfalls.

PS. Or a showers.

I know water is bad against undead, but I thought that it would drive the remaining living dwarves up, and then I could seal the mine for a year or two. That failed on every way possible.

I think I'm fairly good at his game, but then sometimes this happens. Shit just comes so fast and so relentlessly, that you have to make a bad call. The end. Great game.

What makes you think that dwarfs would know that you planning to flood everything? Did you even designate them to borrows? Because if you want to dwarf to move somewhere you just do that and not try to drown them in hopes they will learn.

I made them all to go to the meeting hall, for a big fat feast of fail, but the Dorfiest of them just stayed in the mines. So I gave them a little push, and I wanted the minor inconvenience of undead occupying the nether realms of my mine to be just one of those epic tales of "we did the right thing". The "epic" or "right" part just never happened.

By a minor flaw in design, the shaft that was supposed to be flood free and leading to the mechanism that would empty the half of the mines from water, It just flooded instantly. It was the first part to fill with water. Shit was seriously badly designed.
Random pic.

No worries, I have a pic that's relevant to both the thread topic and your random image.

this game have grafix yet?

Download a pack off the forums.

oh, neat.

To be honest, that sounds incredibly exciting. I just can't get around the UI. I don't even know what programs to download or use, even after I tried the starterpack.

DF Hack and Dwarf Therapist are the go-to add-ons. A tileset helps make sense of the graphics in case the ASCII destroys your eyes. Beyond that though, the UI is simply memorization. Once you get used to it, everything flows from your fingertips naturally. Keep a little cheat sheet if you need one.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dwarf_fortress_mode#Gameplay_user_interface
Heck, just read the wiki article on it, it might help you absorb the info better if you're that kind of person.

Some basic keys:
d - Designation, for picking parts of rock or dirt to mine out, or choosing trees to cut down, or berry bushes to pick.
b - Building, for building shit.
v - View Creature, for viewing living creatures and managing your dorfs.
k - Look, for looking at anything.
q - View Building, to look at buildings and see what's inside them and give them orders.
p - Stockpiles, for designating where you want to store shit.

These are probably the keys most often used and once you figure out what you need to push to get to the thing you want, it all becomes natural eventually.

DF hack is fucking unstable. Never advice it to newfags. But therapist is must have.

My mistake dubsman. I don't actually use the thing myself, I've always played vanilla.

Them Crabs! I laughed my lungs out.
Saved.

Anyone played the "evil fort"/"necromancer" full conversion? I have it in my backlog but never even started it..

According to the wiki:

Is there a way to just mod out the faggotry entirely?

You can edit the "ORIENTATION" tag in the raws to change the 5/20/75 and 75/20/5 chances to 0/0/100 and 100/0/0. This will make it so all dorfs are exclusively straight and willing to marry. The main problem with dwarf fertility right now is not faggotry but the fact that 20% of dwarves have "commitment issues" and won't marry because of that.

I can't seem to find this in any of the raws, which one is it in?

I can't remember what the fuck things are called, but I think it's like standard template or whatever default creature one

The orientation tag is NOT included in the default raws and it uses the values of 5%/20%/75% as default. Add [ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0] and [ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:0:100] to the male caste and [ORIENTATION:MALE:0:0:100] and [ORIENTATION:FEMALE:100:0:0] to the female caste for straight dwarves.
Dwarves are the first entry in creature_standard.txt. Use ctrl+f for "caste" to find the castes

Or you know since the game has no real graphics, you could use your imaginary mind to simulate an unlimited number of dwarves!

Hey man, when you can live as long as a dwarf does, you want to make sure you back the right horse.

Are there dildos ingame?

No, unless you mod them in yourself.

No, hes talking about limbs getting resurrected Evil Dead style.

Imagine and simulate is fucking different unless you are brain dead autist.

My relatives think i'm le computor hakker now and they won't stop fucking nagging me every time i do anything.

I mean they stopped instead of won't stop, fug.

Thats what yer Da puts on yer face before he fucks yer ass.

Where were you when you realized toady is a hack?

I don't think it would be too bad because of the wide corridors

He didn't bait a flamewar, he baited a discussion.

its honestly amazing how normalfag the place has become. Feet is /d/ now.

i bet you could mod the shy guys to be taller, have tits and a sexier description

you have no idea

I got a game going last night for the first time. As soon as my dwarves started moving around I think I got hooked. Got a little stockpile going and dug around a few levels out on my base.

Is there some trick to felling trees? I have most of my other dwarves set to cut trees in their labor menu however unless I pick individual trunks they don't seem to want to go out and do it? Can I not just select a large area to have them clear a whole swath of trees? My starting area is heavily forested.

How did you embark? Like, did you set up your own items and professions and shit, or did you just leave immediately? If they're cutting shit down it seems like you brought an axe of some kind, which is good.

When you're designating them (d->t), once you select the first square, just move the cursor and I think the max is an 11x11 region. There's probably only going to be a handful of trees marked, but you just need to cut the base and you get like a dozen wood each.

I was just following the quickstart guide on the wiki and skipped the careful preparation part. I must've done too big of an area then. I know one time I got a pathfinding issue for getting to the trees that I had selected. I think I'll start farming tonight here which should be fun. Although I'm not sure how seeding an underground mud floor is gonna work exactly.

These low savagery calm biomes starting out seem really really fucking comfy. Knowing that you're going to fail miserably no matter what you do removes any potential stress out of the matter I think.

Your dorfs should be cutting trees if you have the designated–the trunk will highlight if it's properly designated to be cut down. The only reason they wouldn't cut down the trees is if you somehow didn't bring an axe, but that's unlikely. Did you bring a military dwarf who is using the axe as a weapon?

And yeah, you can designate swathes for clear-cutting, as said, it's just selecting a box area with the cursor. You can hold shift to make the cursor jump by 10 tiles each keypress to speed it up.

If you're having fun feel free to post results.

Simple matter of plopping a farmplot down on it and planting your mushrooms. Of course an underground dry dirt/clay floor works fine too.

I will I've just been playing at work tbh.

LOOK AT

MY FORT

AND TELL ME IT'S SHIT

when are you going to clean the floor

Waste of time. Just let the masons clean it up themselves as they use the rock.

cleanliness is next to godliness

its shit

It's okay to give your dorfs rooms bigger than a closet. It's not like you ever have a real shortage of space, user.

Couple years back I lost a third of my military to forgotten beast blood stains that inflicted paralysis on skin contact.

They weren't wearing shoes.

Urist mcMunchlack has complained about a shortage of tables lately

Can you stop posting these faggot pics on every board? Afterwards you can kill yourself cocksucker.

i have not once in eight years ever seen an animeposter contribute to discussion & not shitpost and/or bait. i'm incredibly glad people have begun to help expose the cancer for what it is. some filters you can download will allow you to filter a post depending on what image is attached, i.e, I can't see who you're responding to and the post number is dead. your browsing experience will improve DRAMATICALLY, and I am not kidding. i began to filter them a year and a half ago and instead of getting annoyed at the constant non-stop ever-present shitposting by them more than 90% of all replies will be actual discussion.

that was a bit of a rant. just use a filter mate

u mad?

We should just start every thread with this image

Would it be possible to create a war spoils fort? Where fighting sieges for goblintie is the core of your economy?

Goblinite is really good. Better source of iron than caravans. But its still not enough for successful fort. Dont think bonecrafts will be enough to trade for food for the whole fort. But goblinite is really good way to ease iron problems. Although you can try to do it anyway.

Well, there's no viscera or barf on the floor, user. So never. Is there a mood debuff or something from floor rocks?

I'm sorry, this is probably my tenth fort or so- what do you mean by non-aligned staircases? My staircases form a perfect vertical shaft down to 103.

I checked DT and nobody has "annoyed at lack of tables" within the past week after going through like ten of them. The wiki says that dwarves only need to eat like once every one and a half months or so, so I figured you didn't need that many tables. Is there a specific ratio of tables-to-dwarves that anybody has worked out for optimal eating? I'm not finding one after a cursory search.

Nah no, specific amount. I just used to get it all the time unless I had one table for every 2-4 dwarves. Im guessing it either got changed since I last played or your fort's still under 100.

hell they might even be happier seeing their favorite kinds of rocks.

The shortage of space is the FPS death. With every mined tile
Tile economy is important in the long run.

Using up/down stairs may seem like an organic choice but in reality it funnels traffic down to a select few tiles, confuses the shit out of dorfs and interferes with effective pathfinding, which tanks your FPS a fair amount.

For the longest time I used to make almost all my bolts and about half my armour purely out of bones, it was surprisingly efficient considering the sheer amount of corpses building up in the refuse pile, pretty badass too.

Bone equipment uses every bone except skulls, so I ended up surround the perimeter of the military training room with skull totems. I was always worried about bone bolts glancing off goblin armour yet it never seemed to be an issue. Still made some metal ones just in case.

But to answer your question, bone crafts dont sell for shit-all unless you've got a legendary bone crafter churning them out…and even then you should probably cover them in gems afterwards.

Yeah. I don't have it open this second but the fort's at something like 50 dwarves or so, along with 5-7 of the human bards and mercenaries that drop by to join.

Hmm, okay. I hadn't considered that. I'll probably use descending hallways for my next fort, then, thank you for the tip.

What is the alternative in the case of up/down stairs? Are up/down stairs basically a stairwell while individual sets of stairs are meant to encompass just one floor?

The alternative to up/down stairs is separate up and down staircases.

How exactly this works is outside of my tech understanding but the stairwells allegedly bunch up AI pathfinding and make unnessesary recalculations when dorfs dynamically obstruct the bothways stairs.

bump

Stairs (and ramps) work like this

Alt-f4'd out of my initial game so I didn't get a proper end. Restarted with in same world but wanted to see why the starting guide said not to start with an aquifer. Got sieged fairly quickly after fucking around fairly quickly. I thought it was all undead fugs but there was some pissed off (and deformed) goblin chick with them as well. Not sure if I saw this correctly but it seemed like she chucked a projectile at one guy from quite a distance as soon as he got the balls to charge in. Is there a detailed action log to access somewhere or are there just announcements or something?

Started a new one, no trees this time but I got some water and I wanna fucking flood something or build a bridge or some shit I guess. Missed the first trading season cause no outpost I guess? Got a farm and a still pretty cool shit guys. I can see why this is addicting.

Press R to open the combat report list, then select the unit whose fight you want to see

How's peat and driftwood in this current version? Are they useful yet?