Age of Empires Thread

What is your favorite

Well i only played 3 briefly, and Mythologies campaign, i'd take mythologies out of those 2 because the powers, plagues and titans made the game a lot of fun. While 3 needs a more cautious set up and gameplay, that would be more fitting for competitive matches but not so fun.

Right now im playing AoE3 with the wrs of liberty mod, how do i git gud with greeks?

AOE 1 > AOE 2

While i prefer the aesthetics of AoE 1 (the composite bowman being my favourite unit by its look in all of AoE), AoE2 is a much better game.

Have tried the Atlantis expansion yet? The Atlantians are really overpowered, but their campaign is a lot of fun.

can someone please explain to me why they decided to add a chinese civ

Why not?
Its not like the game is supposed to be historical, it is a mish-mash of random mythos of different cultures that look cool.
Nobody questions why there are vikings at the same time as greeks and ancient egyptians.

Because it's another very rich and unique mythology. What's not to like?

I want AoE1 in the AoE2 engine.

Don't give the guys behind the AoE 2 HD Edition ideas, user.

Besides, AoE 1 had plenty problems of its own, whatnot with the stupid siege spam.

Yeah, in theory it would be cool, but the expansion felt a little half-baked to me.

The expansion was, from all I've seen of it, hastily cobbled-together garbage. I've got nothing against the Chinese as a new civ (hells, I wouldn't mind Babylon or even Mesoamericans), but the entire xpack looks as if Microsoft told the devs to vomit up something they can sell within two months time.

i played the demo for aoe1

Hittites, am I right?

Setting wise? Yes. Gameplay? No. Having my men get grinned into the dirt by the enemy's catapults one by one because the game lacked any army formations was not fun at all.

I never understood why they got so much shit. Besides their misuse of their engine, they make good expansions.

African Kingdoms admittedly was decent, but they had enormous technical problems with the HD Edition of AOM as it was, and instead of addressing those, they instead released a DLC whose quality was wildly under that of AoM or The Titans.

Norse

Who /australia/ here?

Me, but I had the actual game.

Did they give out the demo disk alongside cornflakes?

Reminds me of that one time when MacDonalds gave out some budget RPG in its kids menu.

>The suitmonkey in charge grows a fat, shiteating grin and promptly hands you Age of MOBA

I got mine in a packet of Nutrigrain, don't remember if any other brands came with it.

Age of Empires Online already happened, user.

AoE2 is one of my favorite video game of all time.

AoE3 taught me that evil exists in this world and that you should never ever EVER purchase a video game without pirating it first.

Best factions are.
AOE1 - Rome
AOE2 - Byzantine
AOE3 - Japan
AOM - Norse

I only agree with AoE1.

AoE2: Celts
AoE3: Dutch
AoM: Greek

AoE3 wasn't really a bad game, it just wasn't nearly as good as the first two. They tried to do something different with the home city system and in my opinion it didn't work out so well.
Really, I didn't like it because the historical period it covers just doesn't interest me at all. It's the same reason I don't like Empire TW (but the problems with that game go waaay beyond the setting). The combat just isn't nearly as exciting. It's still decent fun, but I do regret buying it.

Wasnt there a mod for that?

So just like asian dynasties in aoe3?

Add in the indian mythos and youve got yourself a rad-ass battle royale.

Oh come on now, AoE3 isnt bad, its just that AoE2 was great in every aspect.

Well, atleast we know we wont get dicked like wedid with DoW3.

Age of Star Wars

Such is the life of a NEET.

Which game should I start with

The home city system was the most interesting part about AoE3.

The bigger issue is the arbitrary limits they put on everything like watchtowers, ships, and fortresses.

ETIMOS

Pirate it, Ensemble Studios has long since gone under so microshit would get any profits from current sales.
Pretty sure the share thread has links to every AoE game in one of their paste bins.

They aren't OP, they are just easy. Unless you've actually laddered, don't talk about civ balance.

Wichever you find interesting, they are all good games on their own merits.

I liked the concept of the home cities for AoE3 since it was set on the 15th to 19th centuries, si it wouldnt make sense for mainland europe to start new villages for every battle.
So much, i still cant get ove how you cang only get 1 fortress (or max 2 if your civ has that card)

It's likely the full game. I remember when cereal boxes used to come with disks containing various board games or sometimes Lego Creator or Backyard baseball.

No it was the full game, I remember I got one out of a nutrigrain box and played the shit out of it, then later bought the expansion pack.
They gave out a few few full pc games i'm pretty sure I got one of the Tony Hawk games out of one too.

Or the best doom reskin ever, Chex Quest

As far as vanilla AO3 goes, French and Russkies a best, IMO.

Cataphracts with logistics destory teutonic knights.