C&C and Westwood thread

Am I the only person on earth that genuinely enjoyed Tiberian Sun and Tiberian Sun: Firestorm more than the Red Alert branch of C&C?

Am I misremembering that most of the C&C fanbase didn't like Generals? I feel like back in the day most of the fanbase didn't care for Generals or felt that it was too much of a departure from the formula or something, but now supposed C&C "fans" love the game.

Am I the only person that even vaguely remembers a rivalry between C&C and Starcraft Q.E.D. Westwood and Blizzard? Am I the only person that still has a bit of resentment towards Blizzard if only for the fact that their RTS didn't get shat on and bought out by EA, and the company went on to be successful whereas Westwood was gutted and Petroglyph (the successor to Westwood) hasn't made a genuinely good game since Universe at War?

Am I seriously the only person that, to this day, still loves Tiberium, the concept of it, and considers it a sci-fi mainstay?

And I really can't be the only person that genuinely misses CABAL and all he stood for and hated the bastardized version of it that C&C3 presented.

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/tiberian-sun
moddb.com/mods?filter=t&kw=&released=&genre=&theme=&players=&game=196
moddb.com/mods/the-red-alert
xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/154235-ra2-lag-choppyslow-gameplay/
stuffhost.de/files/cnc/CnCPatcher.html
docs.google.com/document/d/1wV0SRDlLjJ2rltGo0WBZh6e-QOyXjIAGoz93sgUK27w/edit
moddb.com/mods/the-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age
forums.cncnet.org/topic/2606-tiberian-sun-patches-fix-for-the-windows-8-10-menu-problems-and-more/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, you aren't the only one.

Tib sun always had a more serious tone compared to red alert and a cooler sci-fi setting.
That said the game itself is pretty brutal in multiplayer and I don't see how you can enjoy it there. RA1-2 is somewhat more pleasant but equally betting on some super fast win strategy.
Generals was different, but far from bad.
All the C&C games are hell in multiplayer. It's no wonder starcraft took that scene.

Tiberian Sun was cool. If anything I was assmad the AI kicked me in the balls when I first started playing it. I do prefer Red Alert though because I like the cuhrayzee Cold War more than the sci-fi stuff
I also like Generals when I first played it. I wasn't that fazed by the switch to construction units over a building for construction.
tbh I didn't care. I preferred C&C so that's what I bought
Tiberium is neat. The idea of something valuable that's ultimately harmful is interesting

Tiberian Sun was fucking cool.

It's a shame there is no mod to recreate Tiberian Sun in RA2 or CnC3. Tiberian Sun was well-made but it feels seriously lacking after having played later games. The only thing that comes close is that CnC3 mod that simply changes a few units to TS units but it doesn't have anything close to shit like Devil's Tongue

No denying it was hell in multiplayer. NOD was at a strict disadvantage, since GDI players could just tankspam and win. GDI mirror matches were just "who can tankspam faster." Conceptually though, Tiberian Sun is fantastic.

C&C3 had a few good ideas. The Black Hand subfaction and the flame infantry were great additions.

That being said, the removal of alternate Tiberium types (blue, red, tiberium veins, etc.), the mutants, and the retconning of so much of the lore was a real killer.

I also never really cared for the Scrin, personally. They could have been implemented better.

Epic zinger XD

What a loser.

I dunno, Generals had a pretty decent following at launch. It was all we really had outside of Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2, and Renegade in terms of a new title until C&C 3 released.

On the topic of C&C 3, it wasn't necessarily a bad game. It was just a disappointing one, a game that essentially brought nothing new to the table in a franchise known for continually setting the bar higher for itself and always trying something new.

Also, daily reminder

daily reminder yuri did nothing wrong

wow how has openra not been mentioned yet? go check it out you fucks.

OpenRA is pretty shit mate.

You can literally get all the games OpenRA has on it for free in their unmolested form. Not to mention openRA's community reeks of reddit.

user, I…

What faggotry. Outside of obvious bug fixing, they should be reimplementing the game as it was first and foremost, and then worry about rebalancing and other fluff as an optional feature.

The only correct pic.

Disappointing.

I'm out of memes of peace. I only have a Rise of the Reds meme left.

Daily reminder to you niggers that RA2YR mod mental omega is still alive and kicking and it is so goddamn fun in the multiplayer

Is Rotr good?
Is the multiplayer alive?

I don't know. I haven't played it in a while.

I was waiting for the Rotr 2.0 or 1.9 to play multi, but im waiting from like 2015, this shit is not gonna get finished

They're working on it :^)
Someone doesn't remember how long it took them to get out of 1.5.

Yeah sure "working"

>stealth missions REEEEEEEE

At least it's not RA3 Paradox

I liked Red Alert more because of the Cold War setting but the balance was leagues better than Tiberian if you don't pick GDI you're going to lose until you get good. The only thing that pulled Tiberian together for me was Kane, motherfucker is one of the most, if not the most, entertaining villain I've ever seen in any work of fiction added on top that the dude who played him wasn't a famous actor and was just some guy working on Westwood.

Also the modders and RTS devs don't know how to make maps and missions, it's either symmetrical or autistic CQC.

Shit dev but you know nothing he says in that post is inaccurate.

Well i actually liked Tiberium Wars a lot. Probably more than Generals. But i always played offline because it's a ded game. I should give a check to Tiberian Sun too.

Never played TS multiplayer but I remember Nod Artillery being insanely OP. How does GDI break that with Titans? GDI's version of Artillery from Firestorm was pretty shit. Though their bombers were dope.

We're going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world.

Artillery is really good in terms of a fair fight with units crashing into each other. The problem is that you'll almost never see that situation in MP. There's just too much broken shit to abuse.

Don't forget
And there's more shit i'm missing, i'm sure of that.

Didn't the Tiberium series have these balling-ass mechs?

Why are they so perfect?

The thing with Generals is that while it's a good RTS game by itself it doesn't feel like a C&C game compared to the Tiberium and Red Alert series, also i believe that most Generals fans don't care too much about the other C&C games.

Let me put it this way, Eddie.

5 Titans cost the same as 16 rocket infantry. Even if the GDI player is a super-micro autist there's no fucking way you can lose 16 rocket infantry to five titans.

Use the money and tears you saved to buy stuff to counter the wolveries.

Lategame. When you're facing 30-40 Titans in a deathblob, you can't just use rocket infantry as they'll just get shot while the titans move ontop on them because they can shoot while moving. It can be countered by Cyborg Reapers because they shoot a large barrage of rockets dealing insane amounts of damage to tank blobs, but they are still highly inefficient in that regard because of their cost and because you can't really use them effectively as a hit'n run weapon unlike Titans.

Kane lives in death. He lives in all of us.

The only good C&C games are RA2 and Generals.

I actually hated tiberian sun, but this was only due to my computer being a pentium 4 and its processing power was too much for tiberian sun, so the game ran at 100x the normal speed. as soon as i played a game the enemy would kill my entire base in less than 3 seconds. I thought what the fuck kind of shit is this?! years later i revisited tiberian sun and lowered the game speed, and it was fucking amazing.

I hated generals and thought it was shit, i cant stand 3d rts games that are so fucking zoomed into the game you cant see shit.

I was reading this half way and though this has to be yandev look at the tripname yes its yandev.

What? Tiberian Sun doesn't have a timing issue with faster CPUs. What are you talking about?

it did when i was playing, this was back when i had windows xp and pentium 4.

on faster pc's the game is unplayable because when you are viewing the screen the enemy has an advantage because while you are looking at the screen your enemy is building normal speed but everything slows down when you view your base.

if you are building something your game speed slows down so you have to move your view to somewhere else so that you build speed can go fast. if you have something built and it's waiting in your que to place on the map your game slows down until you place the building.

the game only runs on single core and isn't multi-threaded.

The only issue is the mouse scrolling is fucked. I had a pentium 4 and windows XP up to 2014 and it ran perfectly fine. I used to play online quite a fucking bit. There is a framerate issue though that you can fix by adding something into the ini to stop the weird slowdown.

well i probably had a faster CPU than yours, the issue with older cpu's were they didn't work well with older software.

i cant play c&c today because of the slowdown i tried everything from ini and patches. it's because the game is single core and single threaded. i'll try and record

Weird. Also i had a 3ghz P4. Thats pretty fast for its era. Also i can play every CnC game without issue on my current dual core PC.

SOUNDS LIKE FUCKING BULLSHIT TO ME, SON.

hold on now webm's being processed.

Im guessing what im looking here is the glitchy movement? I have NEVER had that issue.

when im building something the game slows down, but when i go out of view to the dark area the game speeds up to normal because it's not seeing anything.

this is also an advantage to the enemy because while my side is slowing down the AI is running at full speed.

Thats fucking weird. Without a doubt has this ever happened to me. From the Pentium II days until now. Literally NEVER.

I just went in now, and it plays perfectly.

I have a quad core i7
dont know.

I do not have an i7, but my friend does who i play with. He doesnt have that issue either.

mabey if i change this it might help, i haven't played c&c in a while because of this.

Yeah maybe? I would google this see if anyone else gets this issue.

i just tried, same problem.

The backlash to generals was probably for the supply changes, but generals showed you can mix elements from shit like Warcraft/Starcraft and C&C and have a superior game from both franchises.

Seriously, Generals has probably got to be one of the best RTSs ever made.

Is the game released yet or has it been forgotten now?

I'm torn on EA canceling Generals 2. On the one hand I was pretty hyped for it, but on the other I'm sure they would have found a way to completely fuck it up so it's probably just as well.

Look at RA3. C&C Generals 2 was going to probably be C&C 4 + RA3 and miss all of the shit that made Generals so damn good. EA is a cancer of a company.

Plus Frostbite is a fucking meme engine that doesn't even look that good and runs like shit, so it was doomed either way.

moddb.com/mods/tiberian-sun
Also there are some great mods for C&C3 out there: moddb.com/mods?filter=t&kw=&released=&genre=&theme=&players=&game=196

Most fans of the old games (C&C1, TibSun and RA1) didn't. Also RA2, while great mechanically, was too over-the-top thematically. Similar with Generals, plus a lot of that decent following was younger players who didn't care that EA started to slap "C&C" label on anything they want. Then you have the shitty blocky models in Generals just to put it into 3D (muh grafix wasn't a new concept even back then), the low hanging fruit of cashing in on muh terrorism scare, the experience points not all wanted in their RTS experience and so on.

OpenRA while it is shit with its shitty devs ruining the fucking game with their shit "balance" are creating tiberian sun in their next update.

Meh, I'll just wait for the modders who don't have a stick up their arse. There's a mod that recreates RA1 in RA3's engine and it's good, for example.

since openRA was open source i wanted to make a mod.

One faction was the SJW, the other faction was 4chan this was before all the shit.

but i didnt understand any of their shit so i couldnt mod it.

Link it.

Just make sure you don't overindulge in memes.
Don't know about openRA, but modding most Westwood games and even Generals was pretty easy.

You really should explore the wonders of moddb, m8. As soon as I make my desktop usable again I'm going on a fucking binge to end all binges.
Anyway, moddb.com/mods/the-red-alert is probably the one (had no one to play it with so only tried it out a few times with "AI"), but I don't remember the "improve upon" part in
Back when I tried it it was faithful to the original.

there's a mod that's called Crystallized Doom that's basically a huge GDI/Nod/Forgotten/Cabal/Scrin mod, might be fun even though it IS OpenRA

That's some shit I've never seen before.
Try one of these.
xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/154235-ra2-lag-choppyslow-gameplay/
stuffhost.de/files/cnc/CnCPatcher.html

Yeah, it would have been some casualized esports garbage. If memory serves, I think that was the direction they were heading before they cancelled.

dont work, guess i'll try running it on a virtual machine or try using it in reactos.

I didnt like Red alert much.
The original C&C was great though.

Luckily we had C&C Generals.

Liked it

Yeah, I get that people don't like how EA went full retard with how "cuhrayzee" the story was when compared to the more serious RA2 and RA1, but I think the parts where it parodies all the wacky oldschool science fiction element (villain fleeing to the moon, giant death robots, etc.) were amusing enough.

The single player campaign also is fairly enjoyable, even if you're not a co-opfag.

(What's with the rise of people demanding co-op modes to be slapped on literally all games, anyway?)

the issue was how micro focused it was and how it was clearly designed to be more fun to watch then actually play

It is, but they'll likely make some of their units outright useless.

that's because the game is incomplete thanks to EA rushing it out and talent leaving

I see what you mean, with each unit having a special ability. Probably the old Starcraft 2 syndrome.

That being said, I never played MP to any serious extent, so I'm not one to judge how bad the APM-fest was at its worst.

For RTS games? Really?

at a professional level the empire is strongest with tengu spam being very cost effective leaving soviets with only afew unit combinations to competitive

Normalfags.

Mecha Tengu and the VX Chopper were pretty imbalanced as a combo, true. But Soviet Migs would rape Tengu flocks due to their splash damage and the Alllies….er….

Nevermind about the Allies.

sure but you can only have four migs per airfield with a pop cap so it's alot more expensive to build migs then tengus, thus being more cost effective

allies "why fight ur enemies when you can shrink and freeze them instead"

Unless patches nerfed them, Apollos rape Tengus out of the skies without breaking a sweat. Just because they are inferior to Migs doesn't mean they're shit.

I dont follow?

the issue isn't getting them out of the skies, it's getting them out of the sky and ground

generals isn't a true C&C game

Just because EA is retarded and adds "C&C" to whatever they please as long as it is an RTS doesn't mean Generals is in any way, shape or form related to the C&C setting.

I guess.

you comman your armies and conquers, sounds like it fits the setting well

it's the same issue with generals and tib wars kw

the faction with the most cost effective options that handle more problems over other factions is the most viable professionally

don't talk to me or my tiberian ever again

Yes
People play it. Im not into multiplayer with this game, thought.

And talking of RoTR, what is your prefered general for 2.0? Frankly, I love many of them, like Wolfgang for mechanised warfare, Charles for the super artillery and Challengers & Goshawks. AndAlexsander for wonder weapons.

And what will you think will happen after the end of the Euro-russian war? I hope its GLA fucking up the USA and the Chinese again, in the african territories (North africa must be too defended after the ECA effort of neocolonisation+being an area to keep safe many europeans during the war, IMO). Besides, China attacking Russia would be too much, and China is having many overextension problems

Then why play it?
It has no campaign, are you playing skirmish all the time?

Weird. I always thought red alert wasnt a true C&C game but Genreals is.

if you said tib sun then you would be half right but red alert is a pure westwood game, however red alert 2 isn't as well

generals is when the whole studio was just another branch of EA with none of the talent left

C&C Warcraft, C&C Starcraft, C&C Age of Empires etc.
C&C1 was made by Westwood, not EA.
And if tomorrow Microsoft buys the rights it will suddenly become "Windows: Generals"?

Not sure about that. I have very little experience with RA3, but in KW every faction and subfaction except BH is more or less equally viable, as far as I can tell.

doesn't sound that bad
nah i was just baiting cmon user

kw is pure cheese rush bait also full of cheaters who jerk off the professional level making money

You've become too good at this, fam. I didn't even bother pointing out that Tiberium is one of the cornerstones of the setting.

Well, they wanted the gooclick target audience.
Also, professional level? Its MP is not dead?

oh it's dead, the same elitist players playing each other all the time effective shitting and removing anyone new since the skill gap is insane, not even the autistic casters who make money off of yt watching the same people over and over again are still there

iirc if your cpu has virtual processors then those can fug with the game
use the cpus that you physically, not virtually, have and the stuttering should go away.

IN other words, disable Hyperthreading.

I'm still waiting for a proper campaign for RotR.

NO. Fuck no. In fact I think Tiberian Sun was the best C&C of the series. I played all C&Cs and single player only. Tiberian Sun has the best story, best setting, best FMVs, best characters, best Kane, best acting, best design, best atmosphere, best environment, best map interaction, best missions, in short there's a lot of shit it's best at compared to other C&Cs and the saddest thing is that it was rushed out by EA. THIS, is where the Tiberian saga ends for me, there is no C&C 3 for me (much less 4), because they fucked up the story, had a regressive setting (compared to TS), regressive design, and it had SHITTY characters with stupid Hollywood actors and shitty bitches that were only there to look pretty and fuck Kane over.

C&C is over for me as a series, it was over when Westwood was liquidated. The only bright spot remaining is the modding scene and the potential of OpenRA. The only way we ever get a good C&C ever again is if EA dies or sells the IP, and whoever gets it reboots the entire series. Start over with the Tiberian universe, the only sad thing is Kane won't be in it because the actor is getting older.

Well, shit

Well OpenRA devs made sure to kill the playerbase since anything that wasn't Yak spam got nerfed into the ground. They actually buffed Yak spam despite everyone bitching that it was a boring ass meta

Im not talking about OpenRa specificaly but about mod for OpenRa C&C Tiberian Sun Crystallized Doom, its very nice but there are no players

give the download goy

Link faggot.

docs.google.com/document/d/1wV0SRDlLjJ2rltGo0WBZh6e-QOyXjIAGoz93sgUK27w/edit

Also any of you faggs wanna play multiplayer?
Its pretty cool mod for tiberian sun ported to OpenRa engine

Sure but before I download it, answer me this. Can you engineer rush?

Err… i dont really know, i only checked out fractions in skirmish but i guess you can use some cheesy tactics

Tell me when you are ready to play phaggit

Why doesn't anyone ever mention Dawn of the Tiberium Age mod? Last time I checked it was not riddled with dev butt-hurt like OpenRA.
moddb.com/mods/the-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age

Likely tomorrow, for some reason my internet has gone back to the stoneage, getting 32kb/s download. Something isn't right.

No you are not user.
I have actually also enjoyed Tiberian Sun….

Oh uh… Red Alert did have better gameplay.

Anyways, Command & Conquer is dead… The RTS genre in general is pretty much dead and was replaced by shitty MOBAs. I miss my RTS games.

At least we have dawn of moba and can pretend we aren't dead. And console RTS games like sudden strike and halo wars 2.
Looking at it this way, being dead would be better. This way the RTS genre isn't dead, but it has cancer and is already bedridden.

MOBA is literal cancer. Absolutely no tactics required.

Its no
Required, you just follow the meta and hide near tower early on.
Also make sure you click a bunch.

Dont try to lunch it by switching mods in OpenRa, it crashes for me this way

Use >cdluncher

i honestly dont know how anyone could tiberian sun. it was so slow in every regard. i only put up with it because i didnt have anything else to do.

Economy in Tiberian Sun I found so slow. Could have about 12 Harvesters and 6 refineries and still have a trickle economy.

Stop talking about OpenRA you retards.
It's absolute garbage.

The real game is free and patched/updated by the fan community. It has all the SP, MP, music and cutscenes.

We are not talking about OpenRA retardo
We are talking about mod build on a framework of OpenRa, its a mod for tiberian sun

Don't forget that the originals can also be modded without having it break or crash every time you want to load a mod. And there's a fuckton of them out there too.

I wonder what's the big dicksucking that is with the ORA faggots, i always see the same 1-2 people being apologectic or flaunting it as the second coming of Christ depsite it being absolutely terrible.

Joseph D. Kucan the dude who played Kaine is a trained swordsman and a professional stage actor before working on C&C with Westwood Studios. The guy who played Seth on the other hand was just some dude from Westwood Studios. You need to do more research about your favorite actors, probably don't even know Keanu Reeves starred in the role of John Don in move of the Shakespeare play Much Ado About Nothing. Only time I ever saw him laugh like a maniac.

*Don John, not John Don

I thought Keanu Reeves starred as a plank?

A very sweaty plank, that was a bit noisy when you step on it.

I am surprised he isn't give Keanu a sanding and a good varnishing in that scene.

Anyone remembers the last C&C thread? I archived it, but forgot to bookmark it…

Both series are a lot of fun, but overall Tiberian Sun is darker and has therefore the better atmosphere. But Red Alert 2 always gets me into war mood too.

TS is probably my favorite C&C even though it has plenty of flaws. TS has really great atmosphere with story and music and it made me appreciate Tiberium universe even more, though I loved the first game too and really made me very hungry when I finished it. In TS loved singleplayer campaign especially, took me two weeks or so to beat vanilla, forgot almost about everything when I played it. And from reading what devs intended to make with TS, it could be almost perfect if EA didn't rush development, developers really put a lot of love into it. What really pissed me off the most though is how Devil's Tongues with Banshees were useless, multiplayer was truly hell for Nod players, but still was fun to play with friends. Would be also good to play TS with RA2 mechanics.

I experienced the same issue before I used TS patch and graphics patch which changes HEX values in the .exe so TS and RA2 could work without slowdowns.
Since another user provided link for graphical patch, try to use this one, it helped me to fix many issues, including stuttering: forums.cncnet.org/topic/2606-tiberian-sun-patches-fix-for-the-windows-8-10-menu-problems-and-more/
You should probably post your specs. Don't forget about OS too, I bet you're using something above Windows 8 which is why you're experiencing slowdowns.

Aside from micro which didn't bother me much when I played it for the first time, I really hated naval focused maps. There is just too much of it.

i generally prefer red alerts music, but theres definitely a few songs from tiberian sun that i like.

i think my favorite westwood soundtrack overall goes to emperor battle for dune though.

It'd certainly fit the tone of the film, since it's a comedy.

Emperor had a great soundtrack. It's a shame the game itself is largely forgotten. The Harkonnen tracks were my favorite.

bump

Oh God, when I figured out just how OP that was, I climbed that ladder like a mother fucker. It got to the point where most players I knew made it a point to build basic Turrets as soon as possible around their resource collectors.

KANE LIVES IN MIDDLE AGE

I wish they released full soundtrack for each fraction. It was a letdown that all what they released was that one CD with a few songs from each fraction. This game also deserved more love.