Is this the greatest game cover art of all time?

Is this the greatest game cover art of all time?

No. This is

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE, WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS BEFORE MAKING STUPID THREADS LIKE THIS?

WAY TO GO DUMB-DUMBS, YOU FUCKING FAIL

It is still good thread to share good looking cover arts.

waste of dubs tbh

Somebody post those objectively shit USA cover arts compared to their Japanese and European counterparts.

I am immidiately thinking about a setting where heroic pilots fight wars with the aliens in space and this US southern state themed backwater planet has some old geezer playing a banjo and telling the local kids stories of the pilots. Maybe he even himself is a former pilot settled in a small village. Kinda like Starcraft but less lame.

no this is

Just fighting aliens in space would be boring, add in some human politics into it to keep it interesting.

i'll always appreciate the absurdity of the god hand box art, especially combined with "YOU CAN PUNCH PEOPLE IN THE FACE" on the back

anyone else kinda glad reversible covers are gaining traction lately? i guess it makes up for how booklets died and how the stock box arts these days is always lame

I find the actual game too archaic to play, but I love Wasteland's cover. It's mysterious and makes you picture a game where you explore a dead world with some pals. I like evocative covers like that.

Yes. I mean it's not a great exchange for manuals, but it's a nice incentive to buy hard copies. Nier Automata was nice with this: west cover on one side and Japanese cover on the other.

nier:A is exactly what made me think of the reversible covers i've seen lately cuz i flipped that one almost immediately, the western cover for it is total shit

Exactly, the choice is nice and publishers/retailers are still happy with their safe covers.
Nier a's western cover is impressively generic, too. Which is kinda sad, because the Japanese cover reflects the game pretty well. Well, for ending A at least.

the safe cover thing is strange, its spawned from the fact people don't pick out games based off covers anymore because of the internet and advertising, so why not have more fun making covers since they don't matter in sales now

Tasteless boipvssies

Ebert pls

Comin' right up, fam

Floating heads for short attention span burgers.

Left is the best, but I still like right more than middle

Obligatory angry Kirby for no reason.

I don't think anyone likes the middle one more than the others. A rare example of a pal version being worse than NTSC.

Nigger, are you blind?

To be fair to you, OP's image is low-res grainy shit.

I like these.
A shame the international versions are hilariously bad.

The origami is cuter anyway.

Speaking of boxart I clearly remember a hidden stage in this game where you actually fight the monkey on the cover. I emulated it a while back and didnt see anything, looked online and nothing.
Is the epic meme mandela effect real?

You're all wrong.

I really don't get this meme

Why couldn't we have gotten this box art for the US release of the first Mega Man? It actually looks good and the characters look like realistic versions of how they're presented in the game.

at least xtreme beach volleyball had grown women.

Japan has absolute shit taste. This makes you your answer is immediately wrong, by the way.

The Wargame series had pretty decent cover art, although I think RD was the weakest and ALB the best.

Nah, it's glorious. It's so shitty it's excellent.

Seriously though, the best covers did come out of the early years and especially the Atari era. CGI ruined it all.

Admittedly I don't have any still-current systems aside from the Vita, but I will say that I started to get fucking annoyed during seventh gen with the PS3, where various companies were opting to just use the reverse side of the covers for the health labels (as opposed to a reversible cover or inner art, like the equivalent of an old tray card given the clear casing) as they'd gotten so lazy and/or cheap they refused to not only print actual manuals, but even a single additional paper slip either.

I just want to know why he's yellow and has a gun

The artist was given next to no info about the game other than the main shot stuff.

Then he was given one night to work on it and finalize it and there you go, no perspective and no concept as to what the fuck is going on.

On another note, I always loved this one.

I hadn't noticed this.

Well that explains Kraid's mysterious floating foot. I've always wondered why they did that.

Horizontal boxes were a mistake.

I replayed Saints Row 2, that scene kinda stuck out because it felt like the Doom cover art. Maybe it was intended.

That's fucking hysterical.

….Yes.

Game looked like typical YouTube bait, but the cover looks bretty gud.
What's with the dots in the skull's eyes? Is tht some kind of ebin clue, like there's a character with 1 eye or something?

that was the case with a lot of game covers back then, that or the artists would look at sprites and stuff and draw their own interpretation of it

it was an interesting era

nintendo cardboard was a mistake, tall CD Jewel cases were the best.

This is fun.

Old fat woman detected.

No, but you were pretty close.

Stand aside faggots

For some reason I remember seeing this box art on shelves despite the fact I live in North America.

I remember them using it for the remaster bundle with SotC, so maybe that was it?

No, I disticnctly remember it was before the PS3 was a thing. My guess is the store workers had an extreme preference for that box art.

Why are video game cover arts so shit? Even when they try to become artsy, they still end up as shit.

Do you mean to imply anything you just posted is better than the game covers posted already?

Do you have a problem with it?

The zombie one is good, the wanted one is ok, the rest are shit.

And your favorite poster is the most half assed Dali ripoff I've ever seen.

fuckin wot

Oh, I thought you were 898e17. Nevermind, that CGI artwork from Amnesia is bland though, both of them.

Yeah but I posted it to say
as in it went from ok to a fucking disaster

The American cover for Downpour is better, but the European cover for 'The Room is better.

Japanese one is the "best".

European one is better.

While the Japanese box is better than the American box, it feels like neither image is really…"good".

Japanese box is better.

Original box art is better. One of the things I hate about, some, American companies is that the word "Subtlety" is missing from their vocabulary.

YAHOO, HERE WE GO TO-A WIPE-A THE FLOOR WITH YOU PEASANTS.

Nah, both are really bland and uninspired. The CGI makes it worse. Had they photographed an actual rose lying in a corner of a dark room with decayed dark grey walls, it would come off far better. Even the US one would be fine if the setup wasn't so autistic and the technique used wasn't so cheap.

It makes it orders of magnitude worse than the original ones. Not to mention the fact this was designed by a publisher, where as the original boxart was just a concept by the indie team, not a final project, and it was floating around long before they actually published it. I'm not really arguing which ones more inspired. Just how hard the publisher fucking dropped the ball. If they just went with the original people would have gone "Eh", but this one catapults it into the comically bad levels.

It does trigger the "Hiding the monster makes it scarier" redditors though

Forgot to post this one. Doom could use this art direction instead of that cluttered shit, but it would be much more fitting as a Soldier of Fortune box art.

The original is CGI as well instead of oil painted or photographed.

Now THIS is some real cover art.