It's time for me to implement netcode in my game...

It's time for me to implement netcode in my game, but I can't decide between making the experience smooth and having input delay, or making the game jerky but 0 input delay (more accurate).

So, which one should I use?

Ask the /adgd/ thread.

I'm asking gamers, what kind of network do they prefer.

What tank is that?

something I saved from /3/
sorry

almost looks like the rhino tank from Battle Tanx

lolidunno. how smooth does it need to be? why can't you make it somewhere in between?

That's a Sturmtiger. It's an exceedingly late war (1944-45) modification of the Tiger I that turns it from a midwar heavy tank into a superheavy assault gun. Its sole purpose is to be a near-invincible bunker that crawls forward to spit 380mm naval rockets at occupied city structures full of dirty commies, although it ended up getting used as an artillery piece to cover retreats in the West instead due to the circumstances. The ammo is so heavy that they had to mount a secondary crane to get the rockets into the ammo rack and the entire crew has to work to load the gun itself.

Neat

Talk about impractical.

Sounds like something a player would create tbh

Really depends on the game. Again, ask /agdg/.

I want to make a game with 0 input delay but need opinions.

I prefer the option with less input delay.

Very.

It was destructive enough to level bridges without need for properly placed demolition charges, although it generally couldn't hit them, and presumably to bring down entire housing blocks. It was definitely enough to smash an entire unit of Shermans at rest into scrap metal and turn the crew into meat confetti.

For its intended purpose of taking 14 38cm rockets into a section of the battlefield too hot for other vehicles to go and using said rockets as a line of sight weapon to level absolutely any hard point fourteen times, whether it be a bunker in a field or a stubborn house at the end of a street, it was a very fitting design. The problem is that the idea of mating weapon and hull came at a point where Tiger I production had nosedived and Germany was no longer on the offensive, meaning they never got to truly and consistently shine in the role of 'point and press button obliterate.'

even if the games become jarky?

How jerky are we talking here? Do you have any short clips of gameplay that can illustrate the difference between the smooth/delayed and jerky/accurate?

look up ggpo

To be honest, OP, this is going to depend a lot on the kind of game it is. You're going to have to playtest it and see how much delay you can get away with before it becomes shit. 0 delay is probably going too far, I doubt your game is so unpredictable as to make a tiny amount of delay unforgivable.

At little input delay as is reasonable. RTS games (that's what this is if I recall from the RTS threads these tanks were mentioned in) aren't about "muh hit reg" twitch shooting headshots. Besides, RTS is best in a LAN anyway.

Ask the /adgd/ thread.

As* little

Obviously have configurable latency.

What kind of game is it user?

it depends on what kind of game it is i guess. if its turn based. a lower input delay will save players a lot of frustration.
i would say input delay is generally a bigger deal, but its also really important to get that smooth feedback with what youre doing. or it kinda defeats the purpose.
how "jerky" we talkin?

If reaction time is important then I'd go with accurate. If it were some turn-based sort of thing smoothness is all that'd really be required.