Factorio

0.15 releases next week edition

What are you
Building?
Researching?
Planning?
Purging?

I've been playing 0.15 for days.

I've spent most of my time trying to get out of my mainbus habit and familiarizing with the way things should be built instead of that, and getting roadblocked because I didn't expect the walls that the new science packs create. You need ridiculous amounts of iron for military upgrades, and you need military upgrades to kill aliens so you can expand.

Yesterday I designed some blueprints so I can easily just move/expand/duplicate the crafting of some things and train stops etc.

New research packs

Nuclear shit

Thinking about making a hub for steam boilers and delivering steam with fluid wagons to carry steam to where it's needed.

Only shit that gets in the way since ayy research is kill.

I know that the factorio devs are one of a kind, but it still doesn't seem right to me to play an "unstable" build.

I've been putting together an idea for an EVEN MORE ABSURD gigantic factory. Basically, since I started, I've just been doubling the size of it every new game (and this is my seventh, I think, of which the first three didn't even reach the point of building a rocket defense or launching a rocket). This one, since it's actually going to be based upon only putting primary and secondary ingredients on belts, will be a main bus that actually gets smaller in width as it proceeds down the line (finished products will all be in chests). The base of it, on the other hand, will be a monster: 4 sets of copper plate belts and 5 sets of iron plate belts (where each "set" is a group of four belts).

Now that 0.15 has hit, I'm going to wait a couple weeks for the bugs to get ironed out, and then upgrade. I expect the game to break because of the boilers and stuff, so I'll likely have to start over. Which sucks. I can't WAIT to try out the nukes, though.

Pic related was my last factory. The only thing I completely failed to anticipate was the need for a LOT more steel for the low-density structures than I had room for. Hence why I had to add a crapton of iron/steel smelting outside the main area. I also was going to have a lot more production for red circuits and processors, but the plastic production was just never up to snuff. Oil is always so fucking hard to get enough of; glad they're nerfing it a little in 0.15.

Is this the ultimate autism simulator?

No, that's Dwarf Fortress. This actually has graphics.

It is a very close second. You can't play my little trail of tears in DF.

You probably COULD if you enslave some elf traders who come along (and put them in a room filled with chopped wood, heheheh).

In all honesty, though, I've actually attempted to do very little with biters other than just killing them when they get in the way or start attacking too much. I once got a small one following me as a pet (his attacks did less damage than my shield regen), but he kept getting distracted and chewing up my stuff, so I had to put him down.

Now I want to destroy their settlements, take some eggs and get actual pets, which I have to feed, as well as cattle I can slaughter/use in experiments.

Way back a couple years ago, I proposed a better method for the whole "harvesting alien goop", that would result in a gameplay shift where, if you didn't go whole-hog with pollution and scorched-Earth, the biters would gradually become less antagonized over time, and you could farm them for their purple eggs. It would open up the possibility for playing the game "pacifist", building around biter nests and such, and they wouldn't attack unless you attacked them.

I suppose now that they've done away with purple science, you can still do this by playing on peaceful mode.

Was there a trick to making trains pick whatever stop is available, without trying to go to each one after another?

You can't set anything like "stop 1 OR stop 2" in the train schedule.

Just name multiple stations the same name, and trains will go to the closest one that is available. Although, just because the station is open when the train commits to it doesn't guarantee that another train won't be right in front of it heading to the same station. If it's too late to turn around when the first train gets there, the second one will still be waiting.

I already launched a rocket in this game a few versions ago, it it worth picking it up again? Any significant additions?

If you've only played vanilla, modded is a significantly more fun experience. If you've already played through it with your favorite mods, nothing much has changed in the gameplay department.

Now is the fun part

Nice ID.
Haven't checked the game for a long time. Not since 0.13.9. Might have to redownload to see how much has changed. Have some more autistic games to play for the moment though. Are cluster grenades and exosuits still as much fun as they used to be?

I got burnt out on 0.14 and hoped .15 would be fresh enough to reset it, but it wasn't. Still some nice additions, especially the space science bit so there's a reason to launch rockets now instead of just because.

Those clusterbombs are nice but the flamethrower is the once true god.

Are there any mods that let you make an automated offense?
and are any of them good?

Robot wars was neat but I have no idea if it's up to date anymore.

You make robots and they automatically form up into squads and launch raids at the closest alien hives.

For what purpose?

To actually finish it.

Research is a lot more expensive now so it'll take you a while to get those things.

You also have nukes now.

The science actually changes the game quite significantly. In the past I survived to endgame with just 1 iron smeltery line if I was patient enough, but now I have 2 + a dedicated one for steel, and I'm still struggling to have enough output and I'm only making 4 of the 7 science packs.