Holla Forums Weekend Gamenight Thread May 5th - May 6th: Dystopia

SEVER OPENS FRIDAY AT 2PM EDT/7PM BST

Come play a rad as fuck Cyberpunk Sourcemod from the days of great community mods for videogames.

Ready to jack in? Here's the information you'll need for joining in on the fun.

Download
store.steampowered.com/app/17580/Dystopia/
Once you install that, right click the game and click on Properties. Press the Betas tab and in the dropdown menu select "previous - The previous release" as the version of the game you want to use.

Game Info
Server name: Infinity Gamenight
No pass required right now. If a pass is needed, it will be set as infv for reference.

Other urls found in this thread:

hlrally.net/hlrally/downloads/
web.archive.org/web/20091127064520/http://www.hlrally.net:80/hlr_manual/
moddb.com/mods/natural-selection
moddb.com/mods/hostile-intent
moddb.com/mods/gangsta-wars
store.steampowered.com/app/253530/Fortress_Forever/
moddb.com/mods/firearms
moddb.com/mods/day-of-defeat-31-beta
moddb.com/mods/science-and-industry
moddb.com/mods/front-line-force
store.steampowered.com/app/50/HalfLife_Opposing_Force/
store.steampowered.com/app/4920/Natural_Selection_2/
gamebanana.com/skins/136671
gamebanana.com/skins/129691
gamebanana.com/skins/125157
fileplanet.com/145820/140000/fileinfo/Half-Life---HLRally---Lost-Maps-Pack
won2.net/.
store.steampowered.com/app/17550/Eternal_Silence/
facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1412945
dystopia-stats.com/index.php
dystopia-stats.com/server/play-by-play/192.168.1.2:27015
dystopia-stats.com/player/opponents-rgraph2.php?communityId=76561197960266785
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

FAQ

I crash whenever I try and join the server!
This is due to a bug with the current version, make sure to revert to the previous - The previous release in the betas menu.

How do I activate my implants?
There are active implants and passive implants. Passive implants are active automatically, active implants need to be activated before they can work properly and drain energy when activated.

How do I refill my ammo?
You can refill your ammo using an ammo refill station. These are marked on your map as an ammo icon and appear to be a table with a vertical ring hovering around it. Simply stand next to them and you will refill your primary and secondary weapon ammo.

How do I heal myself?
In order to heal, you will need a MediPlant or be near someone who has a MediPlant. Only light and Medium classes can use the MediPlant. It is an active implant and is automatically on when spawning, it consumes energy only when healing you or nearby friendly players.

How do I hack/get into Cyberspace?
You must be equipped with the Cyberdeck or Enhanced Cyberdeck in order to hack. Only light and medium classes can use the decks. Find a computer terminal (marked as a yellow cube on the map) and activate your implant or press the use key on the terminal to jack in.

How do I do objectives in Cyberspace?
To do objectives (hack turrets, disable/enable doors) you will need to find the node in Cyberspace to activate. This is usually a button in a room and is often fortified with ICE firewalls, passwords, and encryptions. You will need to break these systems and activate the node by pressing the use key on it. Programs to create and destroy Cyberspace defenses can be ran by both teams but also cost valuable energy.

How do I grab ledges?
In order to grab a ledge, you must be facing the edge. In order to begin grabbing the ledge, move forwards towards the ledge. The height that you can grab a ledge is very short and not much taller than the player so you may need to jump up to grab it. When paired with the Legs Booster implant, this can make a deadly parkour build.

My view is twitching when I spawn.
If that happens, simply crouch to fix it.

Wasn't rFactor supposed to be this weekend?
Yes, but an issue occurred involving hosting and a general lack of interest in the game. We'll schedule another racing game in the future.

Someone should tell /cyber/, it's probably the only notable cyberpunk MP game.

This server is based in the USA, you should be ok if you aren't an Australian.

IIRC it was in the UK last time? I should be fine then.

Is there a version that doesn't require Steam?

No, it sadly requires Steam to play. However, the game is free, there is no cost to download it.

East Coast this time so yes, pings should be fine for everyone from West Coast to Estonia.

Sadly not, it's a sourcemod and all. It is free though.

This game is fucking garbage

It's a mod user, not a game.

Can't wait to deck you faggots. Also put up UTC times next time.

BST is +1 UTC, EDT is -4 UTC. It's ==6PM GMT/UTC== just in case you prefer that system.

Also apologies to anyone who was looking forward to rFactor, a bunch of issues showed up at the last minute and we had to scramble to get a replacement game (originally Exterminatus, that had its own technical issues) and didn't have time to find another racing game + available hosts. If anyone has suggestions for a different racing vidya to replace it with I'll try to fit that into the schedule ASAP. Also we'll try to fit rFactor into an off-weekend.

This server is based on the East Coast USA. Unless you're from Central or Eastern Europe you should have a decent ping for tomorrow's event.

welp, I guess I'll see you guys on the Battlefield 2
I hope it's going to be hosted on the Revive servers.

Could we play neotokyo instead?

Sounds like the install corrupted or something like that. Verify cache if you can, if not press the Play Game and hope it prompts to reinstall.

Netokyo was a close second choice, but Dystopia won out due to a lot more people mentioning it. It'll hopefully be in the rotation in the future for sure.

That's probably coming in a few months user.

Are you using Windows 10 or something?
It will be.

Also did you restart Steam when it asked to?

Win7

Never asked to restart steam. I did "sign up" for the previous- beta

Hm. Could you try it again and restart steam before launching the game? If that still breaks I have a suspicion as to what might be causing it.

If it's really fucked just delete Steam\steamapps\appmanifest_17580.acf and Steam\steamapps\common\Dystopia and do a fresh install.

This is a good call.

Why no Unreal Tournament?

We just did Xonotic two weeks ago, it'll be a while before we do another arena-fps. Here's a list of the current games that are likely to show up.

About goddamned time!
Don't forget to sign up for the "beta" in order to roll the game back to the previous release.

Has anyone else has similar technical problems to this user?
I'd like to know if it's an isolated incident.
Also does anyone here go on /cyber/? Is it alive enough to be worth inviting them to play?

I like both Neotokyo and Dystopia. Hell I like every sourcemod.

Just wondering, did anyone suggest Empires yet? It's a fun HL2 mod with FPS/RTS mechanics.

same shit happens every time, here's what I've tried:
Reinstalled, restarted steam
Reinstalled, checked cache, restarted steam
Manually deleted the mentioned files from steam folder, reinstalled

it's dead jim

Yes, in fact we were discussing it as an option after both rFactor and Exterminatus had to be shelved for this weekend. It's definitely an option.

That's extremely strange. Does it happen with the non-beta version of the game too? You should be able to revert to that the same way you swapped to it.

That is Empires is definitely an option for future gamenights. Pretty much any sourcemod that's likely to work with 20+ players is a good candidate.

I am done trying to launch it tonight. 5 hard resets in a row can't be good for a computer. Besides, my balls hurt, I'm tired and have work in the morning. Maybe I'll try something tomorrow.
Thanks for the help anyway.

Fair enough.
It's helpful for you to test anyway incase other anons get the same issue. I'll have a bit of a search and see if I can turn something up.

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend

Where the hell do you live user?

There's Half-Life Rally if you want racin vidya.

Fuck yeah, I've been wanting to play this game again for years but the servers are never populated

Why the rollback?

How easy is it to install and host and what's the max player cap? It looks like fun.

The game crashes when connecting to a server otherwise. I think it's to do with updates braking the version of the Source SDK the normal installation needs but I'm honestly not sure.

I've never set up a server for it or installed it, so I couldn't tell you.
If it's anything like the other Half-Life mods, the max player cap should be 32.

Here's the site to download the game & manual
hlrally.net/hlrally/downloads/
web.archive.org/web/20091127064520/http://www.hlrally.net:80/hlr_manual/

I'll look into it then user. It seems to require HL1 but if the installation isn't too complicated it should be ok.

This looks awesome, I'll install it tonight.

It's probably just installing Half Life and putting the mod in the Half Life directory. That's how things like Syndicate Black Ops (the predecessor to EYE) or Half Life Decay are played.

I'd hope so. How to set up a server is also a concern. If you've got any relevant info about the game (more links, custom maps etc etc) it'd be good if you could post it on /radcorp/, we use that board to store details more permanently. >>>/radcorp/

In fact I'll post it on /radcorp/ since all we've got is a few links so far. >>>/radcorp/375
I'd like more suggestions for racing games too if anyone has ideas, the more options the better.

July 14th game night suggestion
All GoldSrc games have a 32-player limit and require Steam (Half-Life 1)
>Natural Selection, FPS/RTS, space marines v. aliens, source code was released for it over 3 years ago, moddb.com/mods/natural-selection
>Hostile Intent, Insurgency on GoldSrc, moddb.com/mods/hostile-intent
>Gangsta Wars, moddb.com/mods/gangsta-wars
>Fortress Forever, store.steampowered.com/app/253530/Fortress_Forever/
>Firearms, guns galore, limb damage, bleeding out, moddb.com/mods/firearms
>DoD 3.1, paratrooper maps, bleeding out, better sound effects, better weapon models, moddb.com/mods/day-of-defeat-31-beta
>Science and Industry, doesn't look special but some anons spoke fondly of it, moddb.com/mods/science-and-industry
>Frontline Force, realistic artstyle and point capture gameplay, moddb.com/mods/front-line-force
>Half-Life: Opposing Force, I don't need to explain this one, just make a CTF 24/7 map, store.steampowered.com/app/50/HalfLife_Opposing_Force/
>Natural Selection 2, the first game but standalone and on a new engine, store.steampowered.com/app/4920/Natural_Selection_2/

I found a few mods for more cars & maps such as Mario in his Kart & the Initial D AE86
Mario
gamebanana.com/skins/136671
AE86
gamebanana.com/skins/129691
Ducati 1098 RS09
gamebanana.com/skins/125157
Lost maps pack
fileplanet.com/145820/140000/fileinfo/Half-Life---HLRally---Lost-Maps-Pack

I'd like to avoid doing too many games that require anons to buy things first (i.e. HL1 even though most people should own that or at least have torrented it).
That said looking at the current schedule we've got Warband then Ace of Spades so something more generically FPS would fit well. Of those games that's probably going to be DoD, Frontline Force or OpFor. If we were going to do Hostile Intent I'd have thought the original Insurgency Source Mod would be the same type of game but less of a hassle to get working.

Come to think of it are you sure they all need Steam and a legit copy of HL1? Surely most of these mods pre-date Steam anyway. I suppose the server browser might well be Steam only.

Dystopia is still downloading, I live in the eastern hemisphere so I'm going at 1mb/s.

I'd throw Firearms, Gangsta Wars, and Natural Selection into that queue.

I think it just needs Half-Life installed and to get the game booted up on Steam depending if the game's current version updated to where that's the only way to boot it up. Everyone has Half-Life 1 though and if they don't they're fucking weird.

Actually, you can probably roll with WON Half-Life for them, I can confirm it works for OpFor and we even had a thread 1.5-2+ years ago for OpFor CTF using WON and it works fine. Uses some unofficial updated version of WON, titled WON2. I don't see why it wouldn't work for a majority of the mods providing that they support WON Half-Life.

Well not all in a row, there's also got to be a night fitted in for Project Reality and one for Shattered Horizon at some point soon. It'll also depend on how easy the games are for anons to get into etc.
Many anons don't like using Steam and you'd be surprised at what games people don't own. I'm willing to throw a few mods that have requirements like that in but it can't be too many (or they have to be spread out quite heavily).

If you can find a list of supported titles please post it somewhere on /radcorp/. Additionally is WON pirate-friendly? Assume we'll run out own server so we can disable some of the CD-Key checking.

What I meant by queue was the voting pool. And WON is a dead service no one gives a shit about anymore, and pirated games had little-to-no distinction from their commercial variants, it'll work, won2.net/.

Yes, completely. In the thread I mentioned OpFor was uploaded with Half-Life and it worked fine. I've even tossed it up for others for some dm and it's worked fine for them as well.

What if I'm asutralian?

Ah, fair enough. If image editing user is around he can add them to the catalog at some point. Posting the games on /radcorp/ with as much info as possible and an image to represent them is the best way to help with that.

Nice. I assume it isn't compatible with the legit Steam version? Regardless that makes goldsrc games and mods a lot more attractive to host.

It might lag a bit, however there's fair odds that some of the local fauna and/or flora will have killed you before that becomes an issue so don't panic. Really though it should be on the upper end of playable. Source games don't suffer that badly from lag despite Valve's crazy attempts to compensate for it resulting in shooting faggots round corners.

Also I'll be going to sleep in and hour or two and I believe OP, our host for Dystopia, will also be away at that time. If you post something ITT (technical issues, future gamenight suggests etc) and don't get a reply then don't worry: it isn't being ignored (similar for anything posted on /radcorp/).

For the game night selection chart I suggest a new icon for scumbag devs and good devs, and grouping all (Gold)Source mods under 32 players, dedicated servers, pirate friendly, and toaster friendly.

Seems redundant considering the state of the industry today.

Suggest it also in the relevant thread on /radcorp/ (resources working thread), I'm not the user who does the image-editing. Frankly I struggle to use paint effectively.

Sadly true. There are few good devs who are still around, of the games we've got in the catalog perhaps only Croteam.

Going to give this one a bump through the night. Server will be starting in just over 12 hours from this post.

You can join by IP with non-Steam HL though.

holy shit i almost missed this, dystopia is tits

user you're not being very creative with your multiplayers.

Host your own then.

I think I've played that mod a long time ago, I might join you later.
Also there was a mod that was taking place in space, you could participate in dogfights or boarding the big ships, I wish I could remember the name but it could be added to the list.

If you don't like FPS you're free to sod off. Although some older RTS might be fun too.

Zombie Master.

If you read the OP it was originally going to be a racing vidya but that fell through at the last minute for a variety of reasons. We'll schedule another one to replace it, as has been discussed in this very thread. I agree too many shooters in a row is bad, Warband at least won't be an FPS.

Eternal Silence, it's on the catalog.

Yes that's the one I was thinking about.
store.steampowered.com/app/17550/Eternal_Silence/
ok

Server up?

Pretty sure you're an hour early user though it might be up already.

You are indeed early. There is a tutorial if you want it and are bored while waiting but pretty much everything was explained in the images above.

I thought that it was up already, fuck.
Well, it's friday so I can play all night. I'll just wait it out, see you in game.

This game is a bit more complex than your average multiplayer shooter, and it's been dead for a while so a chance to play it again is very welcome

Looking forward to it user, I've not played this in years. I redid the tutorial for nostalgia and it really makes me wish they'd made a single-player game to go along with it.

I've never played it.
Sort of reminds me of a mix between Fortress Forever, PlanetSide 1 and E.Y.E.

Conceptually speaking, the content in this game was really strong enough to merit a full commercially-released title with more MP content and its own singleplayer campaign. Unfortunately the devs fucked off and made Blade Symphony and some shitty arcade-style game

The same goes for Neotokyo, except the devs got abducted by aliens or some shit and nobody seems to know where they went

Through in a bit of Deus Ex and you're not far off. It's good fun, even if you don't do the cyberspace hacking you've got the meatspace implants to mess with. The Heavys really benefits from their teammate Mediums supplying radar and healing, for example, but you can build yourself in a bunch of different ways.

Ah, I didn't follow the mod-team itself. It's a shame as it's one of the few mods where they even bothered to do a bit of custom voice acting that wasn't shit. They also really managed to nail a solid cyberpunk feel without going too cliché.
I think I read somewhere that a fair few of them got hired by big developers. A lot of modders mod as a portfolio to get hired after all. It's what killed Wormwood for CoP.

you jews are aware that you need the [previous] branch for it to work, right?

Yup, it says that in the OP. I fully expect at least 3 anons to fuck up, forget to do that and post ITT about it crashing when they try to join anyway.

They did okay with Blade Symphony - it was a competently-executed swordplay/fighting/dueling game that reminded me a lot of the dueling scene from Jedi Knight 2 - but after that it sort of went downhill. They released that Galacide game that nobody actually wanted back in 2015, then hit some serious financial trouble and dropped off the grid for about a year. They just posted a "We're still alive!" blogpost and threw up a recruiting link a few months ago; no idea if anything will come of it, but I doubt we'll see another Dystopia-style game from them.

Blade Symphony and Galacide are both MP only also?

SERVER IS LIVE!

Find it in the server list, connect, and join in on the fun!

I'm coming in now.

50% of me wants to try, and the other 50% wants to keep away due to actually never playing this one.

heh.
Way to attract the reddit crowd.

It's fun user.

Sourcemods normally work on Linux, why doesn't Dystopia?
There was no way around that user.

Guess I'll give it a download while I watch some Ex-Aid. Haven't bothered with an 8/v/ game since TF2Classic

Already at 15 though I think one of them might be a confused member of the mod's development team.

I hosted that one as well, before you know what happened.

Running without a password on is hilarious. We should do it more often.

User called crawlin who keeps crashing when connecting: did you set the game to the previous version as it says in the OP?

I could host a Mario Kart server, granted it'll be the switch version but a bit of change won't hurt.

FUCK OFF MARK NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY MARIO KART ON THE NINTENDO SWITCH

Spoiler that shit

Well there are too many FPS games as it is, I don't mind a little change here and there.

I gotchu fam

Well we can't do mario kart for a full gamenight (low player count, switch only) but feel free to run it on the off-weekends. Anyone can do anything then.

Well there's a tournament mode that allows you to play with 8 people at a time, but only with people who put in the password. I was thinking I would make a private room and then everyone would join with the people switching every four rounds.

I still don't think that would work well for a gamenight, we've tried swapping servers/rotating people in the past and it doesn't go well. That works well in the off-weekends though since you've generally got less players but they play for longer individually.

Very well, mind if I ask when you guys usually finish? I was thinking of doing it on a Sunday or something.

Late on Saturday evening or sometimes Sunday afternoon if the game is really popular.

I have the server set to automatically close around the time when most anons will be getting off Saturday night unless I shut it down earlier. You'll have all day Sunday to do something if you want.

thinkgen of /aus/ servers

You should be ok even with 250 ping, it's a source game so it isn't too unplayable.

Fuck you Mark
Your belly looks like your ass

I'm single ;^)

can you fuck off kike? no one likes you
and can you stop shilling nintendo? thanks faggot

not really feeling this game tbqh, maybe i just don't get it.

It's a little bit more complicated than most FPS games but you should pick it up quickly.

joint ops was my favorite weekend

I made an Australian server. Any settings I should change from defaults?

be sure to flip the maps so they appear rightside up for you

You might want to turn alltalk on, set the round delay time to 15 instead of 30, and the timelimit from 20 to 15.

Also, if you're feeling saucy enough, grab PLR and load the plugin on the server to increase the playercount from the default 24 all the way up to 128.

yeah max that shit out

PLR?

nvm found it

Joining now, someone on?

Hell yeah, those nights were good

Wasn't PLR broken in 2011?

Yup, though not as many as were on earlier.

No idea. I just turned it off since I got a bogus id error on joining. Thanks for the heads-up!

Scratch that, that's pretty much us for the night. We'll be on again tomorrow in a new thread. If anyone got any oc sticking it here or on /radcorp/ would be a good call (I'll ask again after saturday).

Well I was wrong, there are still a handful of anons left on the server. Ignore me.

Correction two: there are plenty of anons still on. I was entirely wrong.

There's some fix or something in this Facepunch thread:
facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1412945

I need this.

Come play next time JO is on.
Dystopia is still up and populated if anyone is wondering.

dystopia-stats.com/index.php

oh shit I didn't even realize the leaderboards were still up and running. that's awesome.

look at this data autism:
dystopia-stats.com/server/play-by-play/192.168.1.2:27015

dystopia-stats.com/player/opponents-rgraph2.php?communityId=76561197960266785

I am proud, but also confused

Confusing game, but had fun. Will play tomorrow.

we still have some niggas dickin around if fags wanna join

you really need to go back to cuckchan

at least i have 20 ping

/radcorps/ is back bb!
On a side note, how many of you play Insurgency?

the mod or the standalone?

standalone.I was never one for multiplayer shooters that weren't arena shooters but goddamn, that game has grown on me

Anyone playing?

I'm playing it right now. But not the PVP since it's so shit.

I definitely have to say that the game has two flaws: The scarcity of ammo means you're cycling back to spawn every 2-3 fights, and armor makes it impossible not to trade kills with the enemy constantly, even with a medic.

The former has heavies spending minutes at a time just waddling back to spawn because they start with at most 2(+2) magazines that take several shots to kill with, and even mediums will find themselves frequently running out of ammo in extended firefights within a single respawn wave when enough players are present. It would be nice if there were a kind of ammo-carrier/scavenger implant or if you could open up team-locked resupply points closer to combat zones, but as it is the frantic and fun shooting is littered with grocery store trips for more gun food.

Armor on the other hand makes multiple/repeated engagements an absolute pain, as I haven't found any way to restore it outside of dieing. Whereas health can be healed frequently and independently, Armor cannot and for some classes makes up a very large portion of their survivability– It's incredibly easy to lose most, if not all, of your armor even as a Heavy in a single firefight against a single individual (in fact 2~3 headshots with the Medium's rifle will drop it completely) after which point you're about as difficult to mop up as a spilled cup of water. It's next to impossible to win a firefight with someone who has armor when you don't short of either nailing them with one of your two explosives or getting the drop on them completely.

That said, it's fucking radical and fun, and that's all I really want aside from the servers to not be dead. If I'm just missing something and these two aren't unmitigable, call me a retard and explain what flew over my head.

Shit yeah, co-op ftw. The netcode is awful in pvp

go to where the file is and delete it and restart steam and reinstall it

you never played when servers were full
its constantly a stalemate in levels where cyber action is required because of poor level design you run out of juice too fast

I've already done that.

Does a native europoor born but considers themselves a full expat count? I'l be able join in the morning.

Yahtzee?

Nope,just another no name fag.

we going again tonight or naa?

Yes, these are the two largest issues. The ammo one, in particular, is confusing since you don't even spawn with full ammo and have to walk past an ammo machine. Knowing this helps a bit.
I'd agree with what you said completely though I don't think ammo is quite as big an issue (it does depend on which gun you pick mind).

I've got this sorly over rated sleeping thing to do but everyone else feel free to go on without me.

Enyo you sneaky fuck. Real men don't run around invisible hitting niggas with swords.

THE RAD CONTINUES TODAY
Just hop in to the game, and continue the rad all day Saturday!

Here's the new thread for Saturday, come continue the rad here:

get in here faggots