Backing Up Console HDD

A few days ago, the hard drive in my OG Xbox died. Luckily it was modded so I was able to make a new one and replace it. But it made me wonder, what if the drive on my 360/PS3 failed?
Is there a way to make backups of these consoles? Or are they just a ticking time-bomb that will inevitably fail without any way to save it?

Also daily reminder to back up your shit

Ps3, 360, ps4 and xbox one don't store any information that can't be easily replaced on their hard drives. HDD failure doesn't mean its going to brick the entire console.

Well if they break that means the idiot that bought it has to buy a new one.

PS3 has a (slow as shit) backup utility, and has a standard, replaceable 2.5" hard drive.
360 supports external hard drives, and data stored on those drives can be backed up and archived if you preserve the file structure. It has proprietary packaged internal hard drives though.

I'm far more worried about when they'll shut off the PS3/360 online stores. I strongly doubt they'll keep it around forever. The OG Xbox had a handful of purchasable downloadable games via Xbox Live that you can't download anymore.

All hard drive fail, user. It's the nature of the beast.
If you bought your 360 and PS3 games on disc, nothing to worry about. Your transaction history is linked to your account on both platforms too. If you're paranoid about access to digital purchases (like you should be), the 360 can transfer everything over to an external drive just fine, the PS3 drive backup utility leaves out a few things (metadata, locked saves, video purchased from Sony, etc). I have yet to hear about either system denying access to the backups because the game was pulled from the online store.
If you y'arr'd your games and have your consoles modded, keep everything on an external drive.

The PS3 backup utility requires it to be online

At least what little was on Xbox live for the OG Xbox is archived and easily availible

Disc Drives fail as well. I don't know about the PS3 but at least for the 360 replacing the DVD drive is a pain because the drive is locked to the console.

The Blu-ray drive is locked to the PS3 too. You have to hack the console to fix it yourself.

Could you use something like pic related to make an image backup of your 360? And then restore it without any issue on an unmodded console

Nah lad, I spent a whole year autistically PvPing in DS2 as to preserve my build for all to see in the faggot ass leaderboards Champions of the some shit covenant and it fucking died once I reached 39th place. I was trying to squeeze some fun outta that dead shit and all that work for nothin', can't recover it or anything.

other consoles don't brick when the HDD dies

(heiled)
Easily replaced, until the companies decide to stop offering replacements.

What happens though when services go offline? I would like to preserve all that data when it happens.

Did Microsoft plan for the first-gen 360s to fail shortly after the standard warranty expired?

Not rocking the discretionary funds to buy 2+TB 2.5" HDDs, otherwise I'd back up and replace the drives in my newer systems.

Closest solution I can think of would be to pop the HDD into your computer and use imaging software to make a raw image of the disk. But then you'd only be able to restore it to a disk of the same exact size, unless the imaging software you use can recognize console filesystems and expand them to fit a new disk.

Are you autistic? Consoles have had HDDs for quite some time now.

I don't get the joke either. Don't blame the audience, blame yourself.

>imgur

you sniveling fuckwit, XBOX and PS2 really started the gravy train of HDDs being in consoles

hell, I've got an FMCB PS2 in front of me with a 500GB HDD in, a softmodded XBOX with a 1TB HDD in, a CHIPPED XBOX with a 160GB HDD in

next time you want to attempt humor, don't

it clearly failed, and is your own fault