OK. So I see conflicting opinions about this, so I want to make this thread to get a clear consensus on this...

OK. So I see conflicting opinions about this, so I want to make this thread to get a clear consensus on this. Does Holla Forums think Kid Icarus Uprising is an example of good localisation or an example of bad localisation?

I personally think the localisation is good because, having compared the English version to the Japanese version, nothing has been changed except for the names of certain characters and the jokes. And whether you think the humor is funny or cringe, Sakurai stated that this was a result of the original script being "something that takes advantage of the nuances of Japanese conversation, and not all of it works directly in English,".

Does Holla Forums think this was a good decision or a bad one? Should the translation have been more literal or was Treehouse right in making the script sound more natural?

Its like 3.5 humans that own 3ds and kid icarus actually relevant on this board to create this shitty thread.

It was definitely a good decision, KIU is one of those shining examples of a localization pulled off stunningly. Probably the most important part was they seemed to get voice-actors that quite liked their job or liked the job given, nobody sounded bored or unenthusiastic for the role.

Frankly people who think the script should be absolutely 1:1 with the Japanese script are delusional; that would just produce an incoherent and overly-intricate mess that's boring, bordering on painful to read. The important thing is you get along the general gist of the original script without changing any major details and only taking as many liberties as necessary to ensure you convey the same message to a different audience.

Also Medusa is best, her voice gives me ear-ragers and Palutena is shit.

baaaw shit threaaads instead of actively contributing i'll shit it up even fuurtheeeerrr why are you posting in a shhiiiiiiitt threeaaaddddddd baaaaaw

I just beat it last week. It was a very solid and enjoyable game with cute cheesy dialogue and fun characters.

The controls suck on the original 3ds, but it was a great game especially because it came out when the 3ds had none.

I thought it was fine, but they definitely should have kept Palutena's woman-lust for Pit.

I heard that the localization was done by SNL cast. Whether that's good or not is up to the individual. Chuggaaconroy liked it.

Typical nintentoddler speech patter.

I remember hearing the localization was done by The Onion writers, myself. Whoever did it did a decent enough job with the material given.

You sure showed me, user. I don't know how I can ever save face after that wicked-sick burn that I've already seen a million times.

That's because Cree Summer did her voice, and Cree has one of the best sounding voices in the industry.

This game and possibly a few other games really need localizations like this. The performance of Hades and Medusa were great, but we did lose the teasing that Medusa gives to pit in this version in comparison to the japanese version, same with Palutena, but I think they got Viridi/Nature spot on. I will admit it was rather hard to tell with the other characters since they didn't get that much screen time. Though I will say, all of the stupid name changes they do still baffle me.

1:1 scripts work better with larger games like RPGs, since localization will fuck up the story narration and dialouge, lest you have a situation like Silver Star Story 1 with all of the stupid Austin Powers references that were shoved in for no reason. And for a 'good' localization effort being lost, they are so few and far, better off just sticking with the faithful translation, sometimes those funny quips or lines that are found in those games can be rather clever memes.

Fuck you and fuck your parents for bringer cancer into this world

It's the only example i can think of where the localization was better. t. faggot who sent NOA and NOJ a physical letter over Xenoblade X

I have no choice but to call you a faggot for siding with a blatant evil bitch with ugly ass hair just because you find her voice sexy.

Ted Woolsey my nigga

Definitely. This is what we should see more of, but can't until we take out the trash trying to push femishit or other tumblrtardation.

Hades has to be the most shining memorable result of this. I can't even compare him to The Joker or another legendary Hades from Hercules.

What examples aside from the all seeing eye skit? I need to see them canonically fuck after all the shit he went through for her including hers and everyone else's relentless bullying.

I thought Nioh had a good translation. People actually spoke the languages from the countries they came from. William never new Japanese as he pretty much either had fairy magic translate for him or the people he spoke to knew english. And I loved how the Japanese people who spoke english weren't english voice actors dubbing, it was the Japanese voice actors trying to speak English. I wish more translations are handled like Nioh's.
It really bothered me when playing snake eater and everyone in Russia was speaking english. And there was even that part where Snake was talking to Sokalov and then he compliments him on how well he speaks Russian although he was speaking English the entire time. How do you fuck something up that badly?

*William never knew Japanese

The localization was better up until the very, very end. The final boss never quite felt final due to the dialogue and the ending quotes felt a little awkward. Still, it was a satisfying enough finish.

I think it'll go down as the last good localization from Nintendo and one of the extremely rare occasions a localization was better than the original.

his FF6 work was okay at best. He fucked up Breath of Fire 1 though, real hard, and I think messed up Chrono Trigger to some extent.

Uh, I think your post was meant for

You're a bit retarded but I don't blame you, Kojima is a hack.
It was play pretend, in various instances it is mentioned that snake is actually talking in russian most of the game.
I think they just left it in english to waste less money.

I really loved KI: Uprsinig actually. Lots of people gave it shit for the controls, but honestly I loved them. I'm actually left-handed so it, logically, should've been more difficult for me but I had a blast. It's been forever since I played it, but the gameplay was awesome & I thought the localisation was really fun.

Game was fun and voice acting was done well. Don't know if the script was better or worse then the original. Many complained the original Japanese script was pretty generic, lacking and pretty shit so the localization ended up being an improvement. Typical Samurai Pizza Cats example. The controls would have heavy benefited for a second fucking button, or even letting the user use their pinky on the additional face buttons. Even one more button would have helped. The game does a decent job 90% of the time when you want to run or dodge, but it will fuck up every so often when you wanted to run, but Pit dodges, or when you wanted to dodge put Pit runs into a pit.

Game seemed like it was designed for the Wii in mind but got changed mid development. The wii-mote nunchuck would have been perfect.

Overall though, still a pretty good game, and you should play it.

Yeah. I can see now how divisive this can be.

Anyone can learn English.

Depends if it changes it for the better.

If you want a perfect example of how a bit of localisation can be a good thing, Twin Snakes' script was more accurate to the original Japanese, proving that pretty much everything the original changed, it changed for the better. The "war is ugly" scene stands out to me in particular. "War is ugly. There's nothing glamorous about it" is a good line. "War is meaningless. Nothing comes out of war" sounds like something a retard would say.

It's a Japanese game, If I don't understand what they're going on about then why the hell am I playing a Japanese cultural product
I've never seen a burger game localised to nipland changing hamburgers to sushi

Because it's a game about Greek mythology that has nothing to do with Japanese culture.

It was an abstraction of how knowing multiple languages works. Snake is a native English speaker. He thinks in English. When he hears Russian he's translating into English as he listens and that's what we hear.

It's an old war movie thing. There used to be an understanding that a group a Germans speaking English to tech other are actually speaking German. It's just conveniently translated for the viewer's sake.

Then what about shit like Fire Emblem Fates when one kingdom was clearly Japan

I don't see how that's relevent to Kid Icarus.

Also, as I said in the OP, the game's script "takes advantage of the nuances of Japanese conversation, and not all of it works directly in English,", so I can imagine translating it more literally would make it sound more awkward than one may think. It isn't that the Japanese script is unfunny so much as that most of the humor won't be funny to English speakers.