I've been playing Mercenary Kings and realized most of the game is just shit padding...

I've been playing Mercenary Kings and realized most of the game is just shit padding, forcing you to do the same mundane shit over and over again to artificially make the game longer without any real effort on the developers' part.
Forcing you to farm for shit for hours is probably the most common way of padding your game, but this game is worse in that aspect than any other that I remember.
How many games do this and how bad does it get? And what games actually avoid this by being made properly.

Mercenary Kings is one of the worst games I have ever had the misfortune to play.

Play broforce instead. It's surprisingly fun with the environment manipulation.

just play Metal Slug

Look at how beautiful Metal Slug looks.
Now look at that piece of shit called Mercenary Kings.

It's this the one that also had retarded random boss spawning? I guess they never fixed anything majorly off(U+200B was here) about it.

Indieshit pixel artshit vs real pixel art.

I've played it for 30 minutes and it is truly fucking slow and boring.

To be fair there are a few games that could top Metal Slug art.

If you mean that it's random at which spot a boss spawns, then yeah. Everything in this game is retarded and pisses me off.

Mercenary Kings is a horrible game
bland
reload mechanic is boring
slow paced
shoot n loot 2D with horrible pixel graphics
mon hun structure where you go to missions to do bland levels

It's shit. just play metal slug instead.

The Metal Slug comparisons are inappropriate and shouldn't be made. The games just don't have anything in common. Messing around with the guns can be kind of fun and you can go decently fast with most guns as long you use two Sprinter coms. Still, the game is pretty bad and just not fun to play. It's still functional though so I don't think "worst game ever" is appropriate.

I've been playing Mercenary Kings and realized the game is just shit
ftfy

Why the fuck would you throw your god damn tank away like that?

You know it's fine when the core gameplay is good. I.e. when combat is good, enemies are good, levels are good, you just enjoy fighting in itself.
Which isn't the case with with Mercenary Kings obviously, because all of those aspects are bad in that game.
But something like Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star Online is built around the idea and it works great. Fucking Diablo is built around the idea and it works great.

My point is - don't blame mechanic, blame poor implementation of this mechanic.

when it came out it was free on PSN+ and had local co-op so me and some buddies tried it, the first like hour was fun until you realized it was going to use the same levels a million times over and over again

you really need the whole trifecta for it to work too, i remember trying valkyria chronicles 2 after really like the first one, and despite having a lot of technical improvements that were fun or interesting, the levels, and worse the repeating levels ruined the whole shebang

i guess that's the mobile-game mentality though where you just rehash some small levels a million times with different objectives, ends up being unpleasant most of the time. monster hunter really is some kind of lightning in a bottle

It maybe depends on a genre? In phatasy star games all levels are just flat surfaces with rare super simple mini puzzles there and there, but it still fun and replayable for hundreds of hours.
But if you compare Torchligh 1 and 2, I found 2 being super fucking boring because it barely has mazes, while 1 was mostly mazes.
Fuck I want to play torchligh 1 now.

Because it looked fuckin' radical, that's why.

I can imagine it working out for some games, especially when there's something about it that makes it addicting and feels like you're making good progress in something.

Visually, Mercenary Kings is quite nice. It's the rest of the game that's the problem.

I knew I wasn't the only one. Never played the first one, but 2 felt like such a drag.

Maybe I'll try the first one.