How can we stop Gamestop?

Why don't the big video game companies just bypass Gamestop altogether by either going full digital or setting up their own retail outlets to sell their merchandise and games? Heck, it's not like I need to go to Verizon or T-Mobile if I actually wanted to waste money on an iPhone, and even Disney has a fairly successful chain of stores scattered throughout American shopping malls.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/tt7Dl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't like GameStop but digital only games are basically just long term rentals. Still, those are what will kill GameStop soon,

Use Ebay, faggot

Why do you even care? The only people who go to gamestop are the normalist of normalfags and minorities.

digital games and 1 time use codes have taken huge chunks out of FUCKING gamestop, and i believe i read recently that they're posting much lower earnings than usual but i could be wrong. it's sad that the only way to really fight them is to either beholden yourself to ebay scalpers or digital distribution where as user said above they're basically rentals, but it is what it is i suppose

They're using steam and other sites like GOG.

lol

archive.is/tt7Dl

They're closing 150-something stores, maybe more.

You are aware that GameStop is neither the only place to get video games, nor is it the place where most get video games?

Besides, Microsoft already has Microsoft stores where they sell Xbox merchandise, but companies are not going to abandon their business partners and set up their own shops en masse when it's much more cheaper to have stores sell your merchandise for you.

The only thing that sucks nowadays is that GameStop is the only major video game store in America, whereas 15 years ago, people had a choice between GameStop, Electronics Boutique, Software ETC, Babbages, FuncoLand, etc.

there will probably always be a role for physical copies though. I highly doubt that digital will ever become the sole format.

Fuck you

Gamestop is shit, but they're not that shit.

That's stupid. Even when you buy the disc, it's not really the disc you value, but the content the disc gives you access to. Considering everything that goes into a retail price, your basically paying 20 to 30 dollars for the actual game and another 30 to just cover what amounts to nothing more than a more glorified form of shipping and handling

I get by with Amazon for most games and Play Asia to import nip shit. Only gone to EB Games once in the last year to use a gift card I got for Christmas and it was a pretty sad sight.
Its already pretty obvious they're suffering since they've shifted focus to selling funko pops and "nerd apparel". More shelf space is used for that shit than actual video games up here in Canada.

Well, with a company like Nintendo, it doesn't really make a bit of sense to me why they even bother with Gamestop anymore. Gamestop barely sells any Nintendo shit and you actually will have better luck finding the Nintendo games you want at fucking Walmart. And considering the nature of the Nintendo brand, it's a wonder to me why Nintendo doesn't just start opening up a bunch of Disney style "Nintendoland" stores.

I'm aware Microsoft does have their own stores, but it's not like when it comes to distributing physical media such stores haven't become more present. Microsoft's a huge fucking company, it should hardly cost them anything to start opening up retail outlets in more places and cut out the middle man, especially when said middle man is probably making more money selling used Xbox games, off which Microsoft doesn't make any profit.

Sony seemed to have wanted to go full digital all the way back when they made the PSP-Go, which only failed because the market was and still is in the mindset that games are something physical. But if that's the case, I'm sure Sonyggers would nut themselves if Sony started opening up real live Playstation stores throughout America, complete with membership deals.

Imagine it Holla Forums, a world where all three companies has its own separate chain of stores.

Why do you want to stop them?
Only Turks and Niggers use it.
Or do you secretly hope that Turks and Niggers will vanish if Gamestop is no more?

amazon is already stopping gamestop

As a dedicated, borderline-obsessive Nintendofag, you're wrong.

Nintendo routinely partners up with GameStop to offer exclusive stuff, like that Player 2 Cloud Amiibo variant. On top of which, Nintendo always seem to partner up with Best Buy and Target the most. Hell, Target did up 650 stores in Mario Kart stuff to promote the new Mario Kart game, and in between 2013-2015, Nintendo hosted events nationwide at Best Buy stores to demo out games that were out at E3.

In short, you're full of shit and have no idea what you're talking about.

By just looking at them collapsing onto themselves, they are already closing +200 stores

Because that sounds like an absolutely horrible idea. Firstly why would anybody want games to go full digital? Its already happening and everyone agrees its cancer and you're getting Jew'd by content delivery services and DRM. Second of all, why would you rather get directly Jew'd by the publisher who is able to control the prices of their shit directly instead of having a middle-man distributor? Did you seriously not think this through and just wrote down an even worse scenario than we have today? What the fuck user?

Nobody goes to Gamestops outside of malls anymore. Fuck not as many people even go to malls anymore. Wait a few years and you'll stop seeing the stores.

nigger gamestop is basically an upscale and more annoying pawn shop. they will always aggressively push their own overpriced used games over brand new every. single. time. i don't disagree that physical distribution has a place but gamestop is not it, at least not until they stop fucking devs, publishers AND the consumer at the same time by lining their own pockets and selling/reselling the same fucking piece of merchandise several times, cutting the actual creator out of the loop permanently

no, you're stupid. digital licenses have been revoked. physical ones however, never have. There's a defense for physical, you're supporting anti-consumer practices.

Having publishers control the supply is just as retarded. You need to think these things through before going full retard. What we need is to bring small mom and pop game stores back from the dead. We need to give Gamestop some fucking real competition and when I say real competition I mean not general purpose retailers like Walmart who do the same shit.

Didn't some memo say they were switching from monthly to quarterly reports to shareholders because shit is so bad?

If you buy a PC game from gamestop nowdays you just get a steamcode and no disk

Gamestop shakes down all the video game companies for "exclusive deals" in some way or another. It's how they stay in business. Also, how does a couple exclusive amiibo deals disprove the main point that Gamestop is not as good as Walmart for your Nintendo needs? Every Gamestop I've been in is practically devoid of Nintendo games and hardly has any more nintendo merchandise than any other major retailer.

I don't get why you're throwing Target and Best buy in my face though as "Walmart is better than Gamestop for Nintendofags" doesn't mean "Walmart is the best place for Nintendofags, better than Target or Best Buy" when I neither said nor implied nothing of the sort. And really you're just proving my point that Nintendo probably has the least need for Gamestop since Target and Best Buy make far better partners.

GameStop is dying a slow, painful death anyways. They're shutting down a ton of their stores and preorder numbers are dropping like crazy. With youtube imploding now that the megacorps are pulling ads, there's going to be very few ways for the marketing department of most major studios and publishers to benefit from the kind of fuckery that GameStop helped create in the first place.

We have IDs you know

It's already happening OP. Have you been in a Gamestop lately? Half the floor is "NERD!" merch.

Fuck man they just closed 150 stores last month.

ignore me i think Holla Forums is having issues, I thought the OP was being an autistic samefag

What you're talking about is DRM, not whether you purchase a separate storage medium for the game to come on or whether you store the game on your own, current storage media.

Why would you stop it? Let the used games pile up in the streets and in the end they will beg us to save them.

People will just sell them on fecesbook or ebay like they do now.

Gamestop is dying anyways so it doesn't matter

Once upon a time the games industry tried to make digital downloads the new way to get games, they tried to do that, and GameStop bandied together with all the other retail outlets and basically they gave the video game industry an ultimatum. Either you make digital download games cost just as much (or more) as physical games, and you can only make a small portion of your library of games digital download, or they'd stop selling the hardware needed to run said games.

This was back in the 2000s, when online shopping "existed" but was still a very niche market. Nowadays, your average consumer between the ages of 11 and 39 buys most of their stuff online. But back then buying things online was more a possibility than a norm, and a lot of products simply weren't online.

The problem is, the precedent has already been set by companies like Microsoft. Reminder that at one point in time game makers did free expansions and DLC for games, but Microsoft didn't like the precedent that it would set, so they forced Valve to start charging for DLC on console versions, and it went from being a free download to being a $15 download that wasn't available on day 1 like it was on PC.

Originally digital download games only cost the price that the game publishers charged the retail outlets to buy copies of their games (games actually cost retail outlets between $11 and $40 a copy, the $30-100 price you pay at POS is markup). So now publishers cut out the middle man and keep the lion's share of the profit and charge the same price as retail, while providing you with none of the benefits physical copies used to provide. And to cut down costs even further, publishers now make POS copies shittier. No inserts, in some cases no discs, just a fucking code.

And as to GameStoppo, I'd never buy from those kike bastards. They've been involved in so many scandals and controversies, that I only wish they'd fail. There was a game (Deus Ex, maybe?) at one point that offered a digital download code for Steam alongside the physical copy for console, and GameStop got caught opening game boxes and removing the codes.

So yeah man, fuck the retail behemoth. Between gougers who resell old games at exorbitant prices, shitheads who buy up copies of games they have 20 copies of to artificially inflate the value of their collections, and kikes like Microsoft who turned the digital download industry from something great to something shitty… The only ones left who I feel like they should get my business are GOG and Steam.

No, its pretty obvious he's talking abouabout physical ownership which superseceds drm. If steam revokes a license to indie platformer 63: even more minimalist edition which is a drm free game, if you didn't have am existing copy you are fucked. Licenses expire based on time for console games, but never in the past has anyone confiscated or intervened in someones ownership of that copy. Its protected by being physical.

Valve has revoked licenses before.

Such as?

And to help your cause, for your sake, don't list me Sniper Elite 3, Wasteland 2 or any other stolen game codes.

Aye bought my new china phone, wait a few days for DHL to ship it and I'm done.

Stores are so 2003.

amazon
ebay
etc

Pretty similar situation here. The walls are mostly video games, but the other displays are 90% "nerd" merch and 10% vidya.

Do you realize how much that costs? They've found it's far easier to just do something underhanded like preorder DLC than setup an entire retail chain.

Also retail is on it's way out. Gamestop has been dying a slow death for a few years now. It's why they've had to double dip into selling mostly merchandise and phones/tablets.

Man electronic stores and especially independent phone stores are closing as well. If Gamestop thinks it can save itself by selling phones and laptops they'll be just as dead as they would if they stuck to selling videogames.

Retail in general is fucking dead unless you have some kind of special niche.

Electronics is all consolidating into just big hubs. Like Best Buy will likely just be where you buy all of your hardware apart from very specialty things like network cables.

This upstanding citizen gets it. The nose knows.

We stop GameStop like how we stop any company: We stop giving them money. Unfortunately, the common consumer isn't going to think along the same lines we are, and will probably still end up going to GameStop either out of brand loyalty, convenience, or simply because they don't know any better. Brick and mortar game stores are feeling the sting of online sales and digital distribution services, as well, so perhaps it's a matter of time before GameStop can no longer compete against them.

We've received reports of armed attacks on shipments. There's not enough amiibos to go around, and the nintendrones are starting to get desperate.

It's very fucking simple. Stop going there and tell others alternative and CHEAPER places to buy their vidya.
Bonus: Get them to use actual pawn shops to sell their vidya.

Gamestop is slowly on its way out as it is

Sure, but it won't be a huge role.
There is still room for vinyl, but its a collectors item now. And the same will be true for all games.
Digital is just handier and will keep on being the better format in many cases. Of course its too bad that you don't get a nice shiney box with a physical game (although most are cheap shit anyway, few have any good shit like cool booklets nowadays). But most people do not care about those things. So the majority of game sales will become or already are digital. The biggest thing holding back digital is probably how horribly shit ISPs are in many countries.

While I like my game boxes, they aren't really that special. My GOG edition of UT2004 is in my opinion more usefull than a boxed edition. Its easy to install and can be installed on as many PCs as I wish without any problem. It can't get damaged either. Many digital downloads are shit, but they don't all have to be.

The saddest thing about digital downloads and their associated platforms is, in my opinion, the loss of versions. Some may consider this a good thing because it means all players are on the same version, but your old favorite versions may get lost forever. For example I doubt anybody here will think the most recent Ace of Spades is better than its older 0.75 version or even its 0.52 or probably older rifle only versions.

I have personally bought the CD of a rather niche MMO that died so that if I ever have the ability to do so, I will be able to make a server emulator on a good version of the game. It has however become nearly impossible to find the good versions of these games anywhere online. I had to buy the CD version for a better one than the last version.

Sooner or later every game will have these problems. Holla Forums should really start some archiving project or something, with several versions of a game and all its patches and maybe most importantly, player made content.

Have you ever even been to one user? These days gamestop is just a vidya tat store, there are locations that don't even sell games.

I'm pretty sure Gamestop is failing though.

WOAH HEY THERE

GameStop would have been fine had they given a portion of resales to the makers but no….

here

Yeah you'll have these big retail electronic stores on the outskirts of the city next to Ikea. Low margin low service stores.

Its that simple

1.Stop going to Gamestop
2.Go to Alternative stores that sell vidya like Amazon,Walmart, or some Mom and Pop shop that sells used vidya if your that cheap.
3.Become PC Master Race which offers games at affordable prices while your on Steam.

Oh man that reminds me of when I went to gamestop a few weeks ago.
They had merchandise on fucking clearance. Yellow tag and all.

The best part was it was Skyward Sword merchandise and a shit lode of Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival Amiibos

How much money do you think I could get on ebay if I stole the Mario and Luigi covers for the balls outside?
How much time in jail for stealing Mario and Luigi stone ball covers?
Also why the fuck does target have those outside their stores for?

/thread

As has been pointed out many times, a lot of people actually like owning their games. I'd rather pirate instead of purchasing a lease for a game.

I feel like you could have done a much better job with the mix brush.

Because gamestop knows most people still buy physical and barely anyone buys from bigger retailers.
You threaten to stop stocking at gamestop?
Threaten not to cut shit for Preorder bonuses?
Guess who's losing a massive chunk of their consumer base.
It's you

Use them as banks instead.

Oh and bonus
They'll continue selling your games used forever at no extra money to you.

And don't forget those Brand new Digital storage games are totally going to rot away in value really fast!
Trade them in for more credit sooner!
Why do we want a product that's rapidly deflating in value due to wear and tear that it's totally experiencing?
Don't ask!
And Don't ask why we are destroying these old cartridges either! They're already broken!
Only at gamestop

At least in Nintendo's case, considering that Kimishima is trying to expand Nintendo to be something more like Disney, complete with a theme park and in-house animation studio, I could easily see him expanding Nintendo with a larger chain of specialty stores.

Microsoft already has their own stores, so it's really just a matter of expansion along Apple store lines.

you mean you didn't hear of the 2012 eula change? It was a really big deal at the time.

Nintendo has their own store too dummy. One in Jew York and I believe also one in Southern California in Irvine I believe

hence the word "larger"