I can't remember for shit when a retail/commercial game became FOSS...

I can't remember for shit when a retail/commercial game became FOSS, for as much shit as EA and Valve have turned into they at least had the common decency to make a cherrypick of their games open-source.

Other urls found in this thread:

cncnet.org/download
redalertpp.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Before you dumb cunts lamblast for saying TF2 going free-to-play was good they released the beta/2007 source code a while back. As for EA it's odd they made TD, RA1, and TS freeware.

It's trash son.

as someone about to actually grab it, what's wrong with OpenRA? Did those niggers fuck with the balance or something?

it's missing like 90% of the content of the original vis a vis campaign, some music (as far as i remember) etc. basically it's multiplayer/skirmish only

There's also CnCNet but the biggest fuckup was them getting butthurt at an engineer rush which made engineers useless and the game pretty fucking boring.

Wait, an engineer nerf? What did they do to the engineers? And how did CnCnet do that? Did they make their own special patch or shit?

You know the original game CAN be modded without OpenRA and it is by itself open source, right?

Allies get hinds. For some reason.
Engineers are useless as fuckshit because of due to requiring 2 seconds of wait after getting to the actual building just to get inside, asides from needing 3 of them and each still costing 500$, plus they're slower too and can be instagibbed by tank weapons now because they changed their armor value from "casual clothings" to "target practice paper tissue".

Soviet shit when using Russia is much, much cheaper now. A heavy tank costs like 750$ now which is 50$ less than an allied medium tank(which still requires battlelab to produce) and they now get super souped-up Flaktracks that outrange every other allied vehicle including arti. They also get snipers, spies and a bunch of other shit too, asides from always being able to have Air Superiority in both anti-infantry and anti-tank/structure roles due to Allies not having an AA vehicle and not having any air units other than Longbows and now soviet hinds? Why are the fucking Allies given hinds? I don't even
What's the point if soviets are the only ones who get fucking SAM sites? Allied static AA is fucking shit compared to rockets fucking retarded nigger shit faggots.

It's fucking garbage.

Just get the real Red Alert game, updated and patched by the fan community.

cnc-comms website is down, so get it from cncnet's website.

CnCNet doesn't even change anything about original unit behaviour unlike ORA faggots, you misread the text due to a lack of punctuation as he was talking about ORA and not Cncnet. The most they(cncnet devs) did was add a DDL hook that records match status (like number of kills and units utilized), new renderer engines like DDdraw and a hacked-in spectator mode.

Though they COULD have changed damage values and other things, they haven't because they're purists who hate any kind of change that isn't entirely QOL and because the community would crucifix them akin to what the OpenRA devs have been experiencing since they decided to change "balance" with the competitive community.

Ah, so OpenRA is made by faggots who can't handle the fact that they're bad so they're trying to drag everyone down to their level. That's pretty fucking gay.

Pretty much. One of the devs is known to do nothing but Yak spam, so therefore all tactics and gameplay revolves around spamming Yaks. Yaks are the endgame only unit you need.

They can play the game videos and the music from the CD now but the balance sucks because of shit like and autists getting mad over how to balance a 20+ year old game. The pace is slower than the actual game even if you increase the game speed and shits harder to navigate because they modernized the interface for modding but the original actually fit the simplicity of the game.

At the time of the freeware thing, they were quite busy trying to shill C&C 4 and RA3, iirc. It would make sense they'd try to milk publicity from games they're not even profiting from anyway.

That actually sounds legit. I don't actually mind the notion that a game can be balanced further, but in that case it would be better to make that shit optional instead of doing "balance" patch shit. How good is cncnet's mod support anyway?

They already have, look at the bottom of this page: cncnet.org/download There's mods for Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 permanently hosted in the CnCNet lobby like Twisted Insurrection, Dawn of the Tiberium Age and Mental Omega.
There's also some mods for RA1 that are map-specific that are supported too like DDay and Tesla Tower Defense, but aren't really significant enough to be announced in the frontpage unlike the TCs mentioned before.

CnCnet by itself is just a multiplayer networking client for the original games, really. The games themselves are modular enough to allow certain hooks like ARES DDL to modify their units, terrain, graphics and you can edit the rules.dat/.ini files to alter unit behaviour. Though it doesn't have an actual modding api, it does support multiplayer for said mods.

fix

You don't know what FOSS means.

Arx Libertatis.

Some guy is actually working on a FOSS version:
redalertpp.org/

I wan't all the classic c&c games to go open source, especially renegade. But, EA will never do it.
I FUCKING HATE THEM SO MUCH I WANT THAT ENTIRE COMPANY BURNED TO THE GROUND AND THE EARTH SALTED

I wan't all the classic c&c games to go open source, especially renegade. But, EA will never do it.
I FUCKING HATE THEM SO MUCH I WANT THAT ENTIRE COMPANY BURNED TO THE GROUND AND THE EARTH SALTED

Then how about enlightening us, no sarcasm.

Thanks cunt.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are the last games I can recall going open source that were previously pretty sizable games in their day.

wtf is up with this shit site
It kept giving me flood detection and errors so i connected to different vpns untill I could post.

Servers have been wonky lately due to maintenance.

Free Open Source Software, nigger.