What has the best turn based/action timer RPG combat

Dropped Persona 5 because of the trope filled writing and the horrific combat. A lack of jobs or typing meaning most characters differences are just what move they use on the protagonist who can use anything, and the braindead once more system.

Been trying to get into these types of games but been having a hard time. I grew up on Kingdom Hearts so I'm more of an action guy but my tastes arent restricted to that. What one has the most intense combat?

Be careful before insulting the game of the moment user.

I can personally only stand turn based combat if it's almost instantaneous like the older SMT or Dragon Quest games. Can't believe people think a game like, say, FF13 has "fast combat" when there's a fucking par time for each random encounter and they're like a minute or two minimum.

Yeah long animations playing out without player input is one of my most hated trends in both RPGs and fighters. I want third strike supers and quick but satisfying attack animations in RPGs back. KH works because the longest animations are tied to multiple inputs.

well it's not just animations but also enemies shouldn't have pointlessly massive health. leave that shit for the boss fights.

Maybe Fate/Extra? At least in terms of forcing you to apply the occasional amount of thought.

Darkest Dungeon. If you can handle the RNG, the combat system is really tight and involved.

lol no.

I remember enjoying the combat of that but hating the dungeon crawling. Could always give it another go

any other suggestions? I wanna go pretty old school like pre 7th gen if I can.

Look up combat for those on youtube or something, maybe that's what you mean.

Chrono Trigger

if you're fine with a little slower action based turn battle system, check xenogears. And its 100% certified not kosher ;^)

Also this, make sure to not play PS1 version, as it has ridiculous loading times. Play snes one.

Not sure what you're trying to pull there, but while Xenogears is pretty fast paced for a turn based game, it's just poorly balanced, filled with mechanics that are redundant or just don't work. It's also not finished and poorly localized.
It's MGS5 of video games

pay a bit more attention to the story your next time through. also read a bit on the scrapped 3rd disc. It goes full space jew genocide

Fate extra takes so fucking long for random battles.
not to mention it's near impossible to lose after you fight the enemy 6 times or whatever it is.

I'm afraid Holla Forums has eaten your brains, friend.
You're playing as the penultimate jew trying steal glory and reaches of rotting not-roman space civilization and succeeding.

But where does Chrono Trigger and Cross fit in with the Gears' remnants along with the saga trilogy?

Starting with the more traditional turn based systems and moving on to more 'real-time' systems down the line:

This system has a bunch of cards/spheres/icons in a lineal arrangement which shows turn order. Actions will send your character's icon further back depending on how 'heavy' the attack is.
Other attacks can activate timecards, which are separate instances of activations (such as a healing spell that heals 3 times, once every 10 icons).
Enemy and player actions can be cancelled via breaking - hitting a character long enough can break their icon, making them lose turns until they snap out of it.
Also, certain characters have skills that break the fourth wall and directly interact with the icons, such as Roxis' card management skills in MK1.
Skills also have ranges, but characters and enemies usually can't move, positions are determined on battle start.
Support system from MK1 onwards let you switch the back-row members into the front line, either as attack support (replace the character who just took action by supporting with an attack) or defense support (quickly hit a button before the enemy launches an attack to a character, protecting said character while replacing him or her). This system also allows chaining more and more attacks as long as the back row is able to switch in (or there is enough support gauge points in later titles).
MK games also have a clock system (dungeons go through day and night, but days don't actually go on during them) and it's tied to battles. Each card/icon that passes represents one in-game minute.
Pretty much every Atelier from MK onwards initiate battles via direct contact with an enemy on the field.

Position based - skills can have different ranges of effect (single, small circle, big circle, line, fan spread, whole field), slight real-time aspects when it comes to charging spells. You can cancel enemy attacks just like they can cancel yours. Players and enemies move automatically when using skills or attacks, but there is an evasion option that allows moving a player character.
Each Grandia title has its own spin on how to learn skills, but the way turns work in the games is pretty much the same across the series.
Battles in Grandia games are usually initiated by contact with an enemy in the field.

Turn based, each player or enemy has their own turn, but said turn is in real-time. Each turn is 4-5 seconds long and allows free movement in the field.
Skills are of two types: light and shadow based - they become usable depending on where the user stands. Battlefields have several obstacles which provide shadows or moving objects that do the same (such as clouds).
Game is pretty difficult later on, especially some bosses. Also, the system starts relatively simple but as the story progresses the 'party level' changes, which changes some rules of the battle system and allows new kinds of attacks/supports. NG+ allows the player to set any party level at any time.
Battles are random.

Fully real-time. 3-4 characters on the field at the same time, the player controls only one at a given time but co-op multiplayer is possible (and really damn fun). Combo system present and each title has its own gimmick (elemental rings in Abyss, linking in Xillia, fusing in Zestiria…).
Most titles have battles initiated by contact with enemies, but there are exceptions which use random battles instead.
Definitely gets intense, especially on harder difficulties (changeable at any time outside battles). Definitely recommended to try out co-op.

Also for what it's worth, the upcoming FF7 remake seems to have a KH-like system.

This is the best reply I've ever had for anything. Holy moly thank you.

You're welcome, user.

Adding other lesser-known types:

Turns are linear like most typical RPGs, but every action requires hitting the Ring. Normal attacks have one button press, hitting a special region lands a critical, while missing it entirely nets you a miss or a very ineffective attack. It's basically a small rhythm game inside the battle system.
Other kinds of actions can allow for multiple presses, and the more precise they are, greater effects are obtained.
Aside from HP and MP there is SP (Sanity). If SP reaches zero in battle, the character goes berserk and you lose control of him/her. It restores once battle ends.
Battles are random.
High point of the series aside from the Ring lies in the world building and story/characters. Prequel of the first SH is Koudelka on PS1 - it mixes Tactics-like 'board game' battles with a traditional classic FF-like turn system.

Series born from the team that developed the original Tales of Phantasia before Namco modded the shit out of it.
Very similar to classic Tales, but movement is 3D-like instead of the classic 2D LMBS from Tales.
4 characters on the field - player controls one a time directly, there's a combo system and skill system that not only affects battles but also other systems such as item crafting or effects such as getting discounts on shops.
Simple special skill system that allows a few skills to be set on specific buttons. Each character has wildly different kinds of normal attacks/skills. Magic is limited to a few spellcaster-type characters.
Regular attacks for most physical based characters are affected by distance between them and the enemy (short/long system, which displays on screen).
Player can stop time by opening a menu, which allows using items, magic (for spellcasters) or changing control to another character. In long boss battles switching between characters is essential to get some of the weaker ones away from danger, or to use specific skills.
Series is known for its multiple endings depending on relationship levels between characters. Also, parties aren't fixed. You usually get 8 slots - some characters are obligatory and others are not. Some characters block others from joining, or serve as requirements for another. Once they join you can't switch them for others for the rest of the game so you need to choose your party carefully. Very replay friendly since having different parties heavily affects outcomes.
Latest title, SO 5 for PS4 is pretty meh, you can skip that one.

Oh, and battles are random in SO series.

Would legend of dragoon/legaia fall into the shadow hearts category?

The DS port wasn't half bad.

It is similar, but the Ring is more versatile and many skills add special 'spins' to it.
But yeah, the concept is spot on - you hit the button when it's right for maximum effectiveness.

Best fucking thing in Shadow Hearts is getting so good at the endgame you can use shit like seventh rings with the accessories that make the ring or indicator invisible. Fucking swept all of SH2 by getting good at Anastasia's rolls.

Why are you having a conversation with yourself?

Get on our level.

Something went wrong ITT.

What am I missing?

What the fuck is happening right now. Why are you samefagging an entire thread.

Dissociative Identity Disorder. There was a bug a few minutes ago that caused everyone to post under the same ID in a bunch of threads, leading to confusion.

of the turn based system grandia will probably always be my favorite, it wasn't perfect and stuns became completely broken later in the game. i haven't come across a game that properly copies it though some have done a fair job.

What the fuck is going on in this thread?

No, fuck you. There's no "the best" this or that. it all comes to a subjective taste. In fact, there's absolutely no objective way to know what videogames does one particular thing that well, specially if it's related to something so abroad such as "gameplay".

Honestly, it would be better if one were to ask what are the most interesting or fun gameplay systems.

what is this thrade
oh gods

Yeah OP you have shit taste.

For a second I thought something was wrong with my browser. No one man could be samefagging this much. Then other ids started showing up.

site's broken. blame jim.

The shit is going on in this thread?

You are correct. I guess I figured asking everyone what "the best" is is an easier way to get a consensus.

Yep, came here to mention Shadow Hearts. It felt pretty satisfying and like you were getting one over on standard dice rolls.

Could it be? A collision of IDs?
I'm wall-of-text-user here, but now that I notice pretty much every post before yours appears as a1e55c. I'm quite sure this wasn't the case last night.
Must be the board tripping balls.

All me

I'm the OP pick provided. I didnt even notice any of this till now. That's hilarious. Does this ID glitch happen often?

First time I've seen this kind of glitch so far.

Please there are no SMT fans left after 4 and apoc ruined the entire mainline series.
Demi-kids please come back and deliver us from 4/apoc

It's not a glitch but rather the site now hashes IP addresses, so IDs from before the recent downtime to add the hashing feature have become that of the OP of the thread the posts are in.

Oh, so that was it. Is there a thread on /sudo/ about it?