How about it Dr.Freeman?

What did he mean by this?
I mean, what was the intention of the writer for the sequel that will never come?Does it imply Freeman was put up for hire by G-Man on a intergalactic transdimensional version of craigslist?
And did somebody buy him or did G-Man just let him loose to fuck with the combine to get a better bargain position?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/HhrIr
archive.is/q14pk
lambdageneration.com/discussion/half-life/5-intriguing-things-breengrub-teaches-us-about-the-half-life-saga/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The G-Man was GOING to sell Gordon off to the Combine, but then the Vortigaunts stopped him and episodes 1 and 2 happened.

he was probably just talking about the black mesa days, the story in the half-life games might retroactively use it to justify something. They're really obvious written this way.

G-Man has unknown "employers" to whom he sells services by the likes of Gordon Freeman and Adrian Shepard. Dr Breen obviously knows at least some extent of Freeman's "contract" and tries to get Freeman on his side so his dream of transhumanism won't be destroyed.

It's pretty simple, G-man travels the universe hooking people up with augs and nanomachines to serve as special interest mercenary units he beams into the right place at the right time to do the most covert damage possible.

Half life 2 had him use Freeman's infamy to become a Messiah figure in order to undo combine rule under whoever the fuck has special interest in earth.

Fuck you valve and fuck your steam. Release a book at least, if you dont want to finish the game.

it's art, open for interpretation haha

He wanted his ass!

After Freeman fucked the Nihilant, G-Man hired him to be his agent. G-Man then sold Freeman's service to an unknown party (but probably Eli) and the fucking up the Combine on Earth is Freeman's first job as G-Man's agent.

Skull fucked, to be precise.

Nihilanth did nothing wrong

Even if they do complete the series, it's going to be in the shittiest way possible because most of the talent has left.

If they complete the series it's going to be single player CS:GO jesus christ how horrifying.
If they write a book it's going to be full of dank meems.

In my mind, G-Man is a representative or employee of some group that opposes the Combine. He sees all of humanity as a weapon to be used against them. That's why he supplied Black Mesa with the energy crystals. The wormhole had to be opened so the war would be brought to Earth, so humans could have a shot at winning it.

He just want that gorgeous ass!

I think the last of the original HL writers have left valve.

Breen did nothing wrong. Without (literal) plot armour there was no way humanity was defeating the Combine, better to have the species survive even in a terrible state. Hell even when you consider Freeman he wouldn't have been much use for liberating humanity if humanity had already been wiped out for not behaving.

Freeman would've just been put in the right place at the right time if Breen wasn't playing the good goy. And is it really better for humanity to live like cattle that can't even produce more livestock?

Better do die on your feet than live on your knees, faggot

How come nobody ever mentions the fact that Valve copied the design of Dr. Breen from Sean Connery and the design of Eli Vance from Morgan Freeman?

G-Man is a pimp.

user there was no reproduction though.

Breen was designed after Roger Guay and Eli after his VA, Robert Guillaume.

personally I think these guys had something to do with it

Suddenly this thread got a lot more interesting.

you know gordon had a lotta loyalty for a hired gun

He was a big earning employee.

There are 2 timelines. 1 where bane seizes the cargo and uses it for his dumb bomb plot and 2 where cia uses dr. pavel to create a interdimensional space/time portal. Since CIA is mortal and also a man of wisdom he sent his subordinate the "Gman"(g for government, government for CIA)

We aren't talking about the French resistance and political domination we're talking about the complete death of humanity, servitude (hopefully temporary) is a small price to pay to not have the entire species wiped out. Also rebels would not exist if humanity as a whole did not, if we follow the logic that refusing any collaboration results in extinction then Breen and his ilk are necessary.
And again, without Freeman any rebellion is doomed to failure. The Combine removed the entire military in 7 fucking hours. Freeman only succeeded due to mary-sue plot shit and even if we discount that his arrival could not have been predicted. Breen's actions are rational given the situation (to not take his path requires advance knowledge not only of Freeman showing up but of his wildly unlikely success).

Strictly speaking Breen claimed that the Combine would allow it if humanity 'matured'. Honestly though I think that it was a pretty big plot hole to have the Combine be so stupid as to ban reproduction outright - it's just a lazy way to make joining them objectively the wrong decision for humanity instead of exploring the opportunities it would give. Additionally it makes keeping humanity around pointless. Think about it: if humanity is of so little value as to not be worth being allowed to reproduce there's no point keeping humanity alive, feeding them, policing them, putting up with rebels etc. Simply exterminating as many as possible and starving the rest out is cheaper: hell they aren't even used as slave labour apart from a handful of stalkers (which you could still make with mass-extermination anyway and I doubt could not be replaced with vortigaunts or what have you). Even the Combine human troops in-game are apparently only used to police other humans.

Half-Life 3 will be release tomorrow.

Unironically one of the most boring singleplayer experiences with the most utterly lame maps and shooting mechanics. The only way to have the slightest amount of fun in HL2 is by modding the crap out of it. Glad it's dead

I was pretty sure that his face belongs to some hobo.

Hey now, HL1 was Quake with a storyline. HL2 was the one that was a series about a tech-demo.

I'd sooner bump into the valvenigger that turned his head and almost made me shit myself for real.

It is implied that the Combine is at war with another force (or facing rebellions) and they have a MASSIVE logistic problem, they cant open portals in a reliable way, they cant help isolated worlds if their main anchor gets wrecked and thats what the rebels did.

They didnt open a portal to Earth to attack, the humans did during Black Mesa incident and they seized the chance, poured through, conquered Earth and stabilized the portal.
I believe if they didnt wipe out humanity or completely assimilated as mindless drones is because the Combine desires the portal technology the humans developed (or at least is what the game implied).

Don't forget G-man, we don't know how powerful he's but he continually helps Gordon and watches his progress. He might belong to some other race which has similiar people that do the same thing against Combine. Seriously Half-Life plot so doesn't explain anything, everything is possible

The portal technology onboard the Borealis is also completely unspecified; hell, if they go with Portal's explanation that Aperture Science only really managed to develop a room-to-room portal system that only works reliably on surfaces coated with lunar dust, the Combine's fucked regardless and all that time and mystery was spent on a waste.

All we really know about G-man so far is that the Vortigaunts and himself use the same set of powers, ie the "Vortessence", since those vorts that got high on bug-shit were able to completely block G-man's influence for a time.

Makes you wonder why Gabe thought hl it was a mistake, huh?

I do believe he sided with the guys who were opposing the Combine first (not Earth but wathever the Combine is facing) and helps Earth to avoid Combine getting their slimy appendages on portals technology and to put a thorn in their back, dunno if he is a mercenary contactor (tough implied too) or a member of said opposing force.

I think its the Aperture AND Black Mesa stuff, after all humans on BM were cappable of opening portals in a scale the Combine can only dream with way shittier tech and resources.

P.D. All of this is just conjectures, obviusly.

That fat fuck thinks HL was a mistake because he can't pump it full of microtransactions and he let Episode 3 go unreleased for so long that it became a meme. He's the same guy who claims modders need to be paid for their passion-projects (through Steam Greenlight/Workshop which means he gets a cut).

Unsurprisingly he became a greedy fuck, unwilling to put any effort to legitimally gain his salary. Instead he is happy to leech off money from the successes of others.

This

Half-Life probably would have the "deepest lore" if the jews of Valve didn't obsolote the franchise…

It's the curse of Steam getting too big combined with Gabe getting stuck in his happy little bubble instead of interacting with the community. Steam is almost completely autonomous now as a result of how big it's gotten (hell Steam can be conflated with "the PC market" in general nowadays and it's really not that far off of a comparison) and Gabe's long since learned that it's just flat-out easier to not acknowledge the community whatsoever than it is to actually try and pacify or even toss an occasional message to every so often. They fuck up, they don't even have to pretend it happened, they still haven't acknowledged that whole server shitfest last Christmas where everybody was logging into other peoples' accounts and payment methods were visible (home addresses were visible as well if you'd ordered a Steam Machine or Steam Controller through Steam).

HL1 had a bare bones story which works great because the game almost never stops to tell you plot. So you feel like you don't know shit because how the fuck would Gordon know shit.
HL2 the game constantly stops to tell you plot and the plot is awful, completely fucks up whatever plot the original had and the episodes only further fuck it up putting dumb cliff hangers that you know will never pay off.
HL3 it was purgatory all along, Gordon died in the reactor.

wHAT Ded BE meme by Des x :DDDDDDDDD

Breen likes to boast that everything he's doing is for humanity's sake, that he's some kind of hero and that the rebels are dumb, misdirected people who can't see the big picture, but he's really only in it for himself. As soon as major trouble started, where it looked like the Combine might actually be defeated, instead of switching over and helping the rebels, he immediately starts begging for the Combine to save him. And it's not like humanity's future is preferable under the Combine. Look at every species and individual that has been taken into the Combine's fold, and they've been reduced to nothing but slaves and tools. They're draining Earth's oceans with no concern about how it will affect the environment. They stopped human reproduction and put shit in the water to make people forget life was anything but living under Combine rule. Humanity wouldn't "evolve" like Breen likes to claim, but be all but destroyed. The Combine aren't offering trans-humanism. They're offering enslavement where all your guts are replaced, any unique physical features are removed, and you're completely brainwashed. Breen's just doing what he's doing so that he gets a lofty, cushy position with the Combine elite. Remember, this is the guy whose order to push Black Mesa's machines way past safe operating ranges ended up causing the Xen and subsequent Combine invasion in the first place, only for him to accuse Gordon of being the one responsible, when Gordon was just the poor lab tech following standard procedure. Not only is it Breen's fault that the Combine wrecked humanity, but he took advantage of it while simultaneously denying any responsibility.

Do you realize that this guy went from "Black Mesa CEO" to "Administrator of Earth"?. The guy must have done some kind of deal with the combine forces to trigger the resonance cascade in order to open portals all around the world. Maybe the combine knew that the Xen crystals could be used a some sort massive teleport device or some shit. He just pulled that shit off to get good boy points from the combine. So pretty much everything bad that happens in HL2 is because Breen pushed and schemed the resonance cascade for personal gain. He can be seen talking to G-man at Half Life 1 at Sector C. But that's just my theory.

Also, why City 17 is the only city that has a citadel?. I guess that there are some other cities around that work as concetration camps somewhere in Eastern Europe. Hell. what's going on the entire world?. How the fuck are things at North and South America, the Middle east and Asia?. Does the combine control those areas? Why the citadel is considered like a combine wordwide capital?. Are other places of the world overrun by Xen/other alien races wildlife, like the Amazons filled with Xen lifeforms?

This one of that mayor plotholes in HL2, this aspect was a lot better at HL2 beta, where you can see adult and children working on factories, at least the combine used them for something. The only explaination for this is a birth control policy that the combines does this to harvest humans in order to produce more human Synths in the future, just like Stalkers for citadel maintenance or Combine soldier if they need mobile troops for controling certain areas of the world that have been infested with Xen wildlife (or an invasion to another planets if they need certain types of troops for different tasks. Maybe the combine used different types of Synth units at the 7 hours war whicht aren't shown at the gordon timeline at HL2.)

Sage for doublepost

It isn't, part of the invasion strategy was dump citadels on major population centers (cities) and use them as bases of operations. They came full of Combine troops as you can imagine.

Then the resistance didn't accomplish shit at the end of Ep2 by destroying the portal that worked as a helipad for the outworld combine forces to land on earth. If City 17 housed the "Administrator of Earth", then it's pretty reasonable that they have somekind of combine "White house" at City 17. If seem that by destroying that one citadel, they managed to win a big battle but then if there are more citadels, that victory is pretty fucking small, unless there's some kind of worldwide resistance in all combine occupied cities. The only known foreing resistance group might be the resistance base at the arctic, but it seem they got raided, as seen in Ep1.

City 17 citadel might have been special, I don't know.

Also shit was going down at other Cities, remember the NPC said at the start of the game ”Dr. Breen again? I thought we had seen the last of him at City 13." I don't know if it was 13, but you get the point.

Eh, maybe Breencast was broadcasted in all the combine occupied cities, who knows. HL2 is filled with a lot of Sci-Fi bullshit, anything could be explained with sci-fi bullshit and make sense,still.

They where in development of HL3 during the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco. After that they took a long hard look of the effects a lackluster ending to Half Life might be on Steam and Valve and decided to can production. Taking on the opinion that it is better for the audience to guess "what if" than deliver disappointment.

Didn't he have a job at Microsoft? I don't think he really cared about video games just like Carmack, the only difference is Carmack loving programming and Gabe loving money. I'm not starting to think Valve only made Half-Life mods into official retail games was to get more staff and money.

City 17 was Breens base of operations so pretty much Earths capital. Also i might be mistaken but the portal over C17 was the only Portal and collapsing it cut off the combine for good.

Episode 3 will be F2P with crowbar skins.

I am ashamed to ask but what is the source of this pic? I still don't know after all this time.

the G-man is one faction, there are other races that are overlooking gordon.

the combine are an alien species that have conquered multiple universes and worlds.

The combine didn't care about Humanities reproduction, They were set to completely wipe out the human species and capture whatever they could and turn them into tools. they would have taken our planet and its resources and looked to the stars to conquer our galaxy and universe.

THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR

hl3 was episodic content, just like hl2:ep1 and hl2:ep2 They were fucking extreamly short and had only small content. they are not going to produce episodic content anymore they are going straight to hl3. this requires a completely new Engine, content, lore and possibly gameplay. valves employee's work on whatever content they want, so most of them are working on microtransactions or l4d3 or portal 3, there is a small team that is working on hl3.

Also if any of you are interested in HL lore but never read anything by Marc Laidlaw's writings, I suggest you do. Because HL makes sure you're Gordon Freeman and don't know anything GF wouldn't, and because the franchise is pretty much dead the guy explained a few things on the internet. I learned nearly everything about Nihilanth from his texts. I suggest checking both of these links
archive.is/HhrIr
archive.is/q14pk

Ditto on that

The Jew of Valve, you mean, with a big J because he is one fat motherfucker.

You deserved it.

You deserve to get banned for voicing an opinion? Oh wait, he deserve a ban for being le /leftypo/ boogieman?

its the truth

He worked at Microsoft in the 90s before leaving it to start up Valve, yes. Gabe was clearly passionate for the work at the very start, at least, going by coworker stories in that Raising the Bar art/conceptbook. Probably being able to kick back and relax without having to worry about doing anything is where Gabe stopped caring.

Not just deleted, apparently completely wiped. I can't even find any record of deletion of those posts in the board-logs.

Please do shoot yourself like your selfie suggests.

I got ya.

yes it is a matter of opinion, I and my friend here have the opinion that you should fuck off retard.
since we outnumber your truth we should be assumed correct.
Fuck off retard

And to think i whipped out my dick and started jerkin it midway throuugh

Fuck off Holla Forums.

Did gordon fuck up black mesa on his first day at work?

Wipe em out. Better the last memory of us be good than to become like domesticated dogs or cattle.

Cuck.

He's had time to settle with a locker and have his own designated suit, so probably not.

I think you should kill yourself along with the rest of Holla Forums. Now the score is tied.
Fuck off Holla Forums

I think they dont want more humans, they want the stable portal technology the humans created and to get it they dont need kids or regular people, they need the guys who did it int he first place (Freeman, Breen, Eli, Kleiner, Magnusson, Mossman and the rest of the dorks wo survived Black Mesa).

I believe once they have it humanity (or at least humans who do not adhere to the Combine are doomed).

And they only wrecked that portal because of Freeman mary-sue bullshit. It'd be trivial to guard that portal against the rebels who have little-no effective heavy weaponry. And again if logistics are a problem occupying earth and keeping the population around + fed is fucking stupid.
I am aware of that. That makes their defeat of the combined military of the world in an afternoon all the more impressive.
Then they're doing a pretty shitty job of finding out about it. Offering scientists a way out (collaborate to save the human race or what have you) and things are different but frankly i was under the impression that advisors could suck knowledge out through your fucking brain so if that's all they desire you've just got to round up a few scientists in the opening panic and reverse-engineer the available tech to fill gaps in knowledge.

'We don't have to explain it' is not a valid way to remove plot holes.

The point is that without Freeman's arrival and plot armour the options are either to obey the combine or be wiped out as a species. In a realistic setting a handful of fuckers out playing rebel in the woods are not going to win a rebellion (those rebels, by the way, seem pretty reliant on food and weapons stolen from the occupying forces). Given this dilemma Breen made the logical choice: go for a chance at survival, however slim, over no-survival at all. On that note consider that if humanity had refused to cooperate at all and been wiped out there would be nothing for Freeman to even save: Freeman's success was in fact reliant on Breen's groundwork. His personal motives in gaining power are less relevant when we're talking about the fate of the entire species.

G-man was responsible for the resonance cascade, not Breen. G-man is not aligned with the Combine.
Valve are bad at thinking things through. And as says a lot of what they did think through was cut as development went on. HL2 is like, say, Fallout 3 in that it goes for the trappings of a setting (in this case pseudo-SF dystopia) without thinking about how that world would actually function outside of the plot.

G-Man probably it's just a Shu’ulathoi free from Combine control.

lambdageneration.com/discussion/half-life/5-intriguing-things-breengrub-teaches-us-about-the-half-life-saga/

Could you two fuck off to your own personal hugboxes?

I see you haven't posted the updated version.

There would be no memory of us, at best perhaps a footnote in Combine history and some scattered ruins. Honourable last stands are not a practical way to go around doing things. If you look at how previous Empires in actual history functioned your best bet for survival is to bide your time, act like the good little colony to gain as much tech and information as possible and wait for the inevitable collapse. Those nations/peoples that keep fighting because >muh honour got fucked hardest of all (injuns, for example) and still achieved nothing. There are also advantages to being part of the dominant force in the area. And again, Valve's lazy one-dimensional writing makes the Combine a lot more ebul than they need to be.

Combine troops as seen in HL2 are made from humans, if anything they're auxiliaries or a paramilitary police force. They cannot have arrived with the citadels. Now you can claim that the citadels came with whatever troops the Combine used to conquer the world (Synths most likely of which Striders and Gunships are examples) but they are clearly designed with humanoid-sized corridors, essential rooms, barracks etc. These were possibly for Vortigaunts but that seems unlikely given how central they are to the Citadel's functioning. The only really satisfying answer is that they were built after the start of the occupation. The real answer, again, is that a lot got cut and that Valve don't think things through they just go with what sounds cool.

you're both equally autistic but leftypol is at least responsible and takes its pills when it comes to throwing out autistic ideas.

but what if he was hired and they already had his dimentions when he was hired during orientation for the suit and he went to his locker on the first day.

Half-Life's story isn't particularly interesting and the gameplay is forgettable, so I'm indifferent whether the Jews at Valve ever do anything with the IP again.

You said Breen did "nothing" wrong. Yeah, negotiating humanity's surrender was the right choice, but every choice he made afterward was wrong. He knew what Freeman was capable of, but he still sided with the Combine.
Those are effectively the same fucking thing. Serving the Combine would mean having everything that makes us, us, gutted out until we're all sterile, carbon copy, squeaky-clean efficiency machines.
No he wasn't. Breen was their administrator at Black Mesa. Breen was the one who ordered the resolution be turned up far beyond recommended bounds. The machines wouldn't have malfunctioned and caused a resonance cascade, otherwise.

The Combine's logistical issues are pretty much the only reason Humans had a chance at all with or without Freeman, all the stupider decisions Overwatch and Combine forces on earth commit to is primarily because of Breen since he's pretty much commanding them on the Combine's behalf.

Freeman wasn't a factor until ~20 years into the occupation and even when he showed up it'd be irrational to assume one man could do anything to change the balance of power.
That's as much a flaw with Valve's lazy writing as it is the Combine as a whole.
G-man being responsible is well-established user, Breen was at best an idiot that helped the plan along with sheer incompetence. Particularly when you consider the meta-knowledge that Breen wasn't even a character until HL2.

True, it just makes their decisions even less logical though.
Why give Breen so much power though? Breen wouldn't even be necessary if you intend to just remove humanity anyway.

Because Breen's diplomacy skills is that good, if it wasn't for him the Combine would of just wiped life on Earth right out and strip mine the planet of resources.

That's the thing: if they don't want humanity there should be no argument that convinced them to do anything other than wipe out humans and strip-mine. That's why I think it's more of a plot hole than anything else. Though Breen being so damn convincing he persuades them to give humanity a chance sounds like a nice way out.

What plothole? The Combine gives zero shits about Humans, however that doesn't mean they're actively malicious in wanting to exterminate them. Do you hold ants in contempt when you fill their colonies with cement? Wiping life on Earth out is just a matter of convenience and efficiency, all Breen had to do was convince them that the inefficient way was better because Humanity has something of value to provide all he has to do is prove it.

You imply that Breen was unintenionally buying time for Freeman, but G-Man decided to drop Freeman at that specific point in Time.G-Man could have inserted him at any other time if necessary, years earlier.

I tried playing HL2 again recently. The game is so boring. I got up to the vehicle section before Sand Trap, on the little car, and its one of the worst sections of 'Miss a jump? You die!' Before that, I didn't even known Father Grigori could die, but wouldn't you know it, three headcrabs seems to be enough.

this

And what value could they provide the combine if not humanity itself? And if it was humanity itself why prevent breeding?

Freeman would not have succeeded without the rebels + their advanced network and without various other conditions, the right man in the right place and all that. And I seriously doubt Freeman could have turned things around if the Combine decided to go full on genocide, even Valve wouldn't give him that level of plot armour.

Because they're a massive multi-dimensional empire, and humanity is just some numbers to tally for paperwork. It's on Breen's shoulders to justify it, and he somehow did.
Because they're selectively weeding out humans for assimilation into the Combine, and otherwise giving zero fucks. You don't need to breed when you can clone and be made into disposable whatever, your need to breed and irrational emotions are unnecessary.

Still sounds like a plot hole to me, he has to have convinced them with something.
That works, I suppose. It's still something Valve should have addressed.

He was the head of Black Mesa and they were working on portal tech, and other goodies. All he had to do was throw something at them until they chomped at the bit, even if it's just a "give me time and I promise you, you won't regret it" promise. It's also shown that the portal gun styled tech was pretty much the exact moment the Combine decided to up their game.
.That works, I suppose. It's still something Valve should have addressed.
Did you even play the game? Seeing what happens to the Overwatch and Human Combine soldiers and those workers, and even Breen's inevitable fate, clearly points to an outcome of assimilation and everything else being exterminated.

alright mate

Just imagine though

In the end he says it's a bad game but a good game so he suffers from that reddit syndrome where the world is roses but it really isn't and he goes through mental hoops to try to explain it but other than that he pretty much sums up why hl2 is a bad game.

Like we haven't heard this one 50 million times.