I want to make a mix of a 2D fighting game with a 3D hack and slash in unity

I want to make a mix of a 2D fighting game with a 3D hack and slash in unity.

But I need ideas.
Give me ideas.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ToaQtt89eHA
youtube.com/watch?v=6zqHYityHdU
youtube.com/channel/UCxin7lE4MzV7pB5yE7n7CKQ/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=0&view=0
ca3games.itch.io/input-buffering-demo
store.steampowered.com/app/266430/Anarchy_Arcade/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why?

Can't still figure out a proper way to blend the 2D gameplay of fighting games with the 3D axis of hack and slash?

Pokken way?
A button to switch between 2D and 3D movement?

Which one?

Are you just an ideas guy?

Post in AGDG, not a separate thread. Unity is for hacks.

No, but need ideas.
I can do everything.

That sounds like Tales of __ type of combat post 2D. Or dragonball.

was thinking more on pokken.

Is there any 3D tales pre ps2?

What is a lock-on system?

got any examples?

Just make a clone of Final Fight/Streets of Rage. ezpz

more like Power stone.

I was playing it lately.

Are you retarded op?

you don't have imagination fag?

I'm asking how do I mix power stone 3D with street fighter 2D.

I can't decide between automatic like pokken or let the player switch like a lock on system.

>xxx spacing

Apparently you don't seeing as you need to ask how to make your game.

I've made games, like I said, I can't decide between doing the switch automatically based on the character distances or make it manually.

Like what?

Code ideas or setting ideas? For code, go ask aggydaggy.

like what what?
I'm already making a question.

Not really, I can code and do everything, simply can't decide how to mix 2D gameplay with 3D.

You mean like Tekken Force mode?

youtube.com/watch?v=ToaQtt89eHA (tekken 3)
youtube.com/watch?v=6zqHYityHdU (tekken 5)

Your problem is more one of perspective and where you place the camera to reflect what you want.

What you can do that's actually a pretty good idea is to use 3D for mooks and minions and 2D for bosses and generals.

Have a big ass area that the player can travel around, fighting against low minions in an hack&slash way.
But the moment you engage an officer\general\boss, it switches to a sideview and you fight him with traditional 2D controls.

You can think of it much like Musou games, but you get a proper lock on and fighting mechanic when engaging the officers.

What are some games with good lock on systems?

downloading

Maybe R3 puts camera behind back, L3 puts camera in profile view? Other than that let it be freely rotatable. That way if there's stuff you want to be 2D, people can easily click to it.

The problem is I want the game to be versus, like a real fighting game.

Like I said, I want to mix power stone with sf.

And I wanna mix Pong with Tetris but I can't very well just go on Holla Forums and ask them to make it for me.

We need a little more explanation of just what the hell you're going for. Are you trying to make a fighting game with 3D movement? Are you trying to make a hack & slash with 2D fighting controls? What kind of game are you trying to make? And not just "it's a mix of X and Y", I mean what is the genre or the goal of this game?

For this specific case? None, because they never switch from 3D to 2D gameplay that I know off.

The best examples I can give you for something similar are DMC3 and DMC4 that has a neat lock mechanic and if you don't take into account side-stepping, it's pretty much 2D (although games like Tekken do use side-stepping)

There's also Zeno Clash that you definetely should check out.
It's a melee FPS where you brawl in first person with a lock on in your foes that you can break to run around. Probably the only FPS melee ever done well.

You said you made games, I was asking what did you make?

Mix 3D gameplay as in power stone, soul calibur with 2D gameplay as in kof and SF.

The goal is a more deep fighting game.

pottery

Oh shit nigga, its you!
ABANDON THREAD!

Fun threads.

kek

I fucking knew it was you, I almost want to make a fighter in godot just to piss you off

I could made my game right now, since I have the skills, but I've keep posponing making it, because I think I need to improve my skills.

Remember that one part I said about "don't just say it's a mix of X and Y"? If you're trying to make a fighting game with 3D controls, just say so.

Looking at your projects though, I really doubt you have the skills you claim to have. I mean, seriously. Your low poly models are worse than a San Francisco indie dev's. You haven't even finished a 2D fighting game, and you're using MUGEN.

and I knew how to make my dream rpg until i tried it
by mixing separate systems that i already know how to do into a whole

seriously, start smaller

Maybe I should make a test and see the results.

I keep posponing my game, since I keep spending more time waiting to improve than the time It would take me to finish it.

I've made a 2D fighter demo before, and remade several times diferent demoes of fighters in unity.
ca3games.itch.io/input-buffering-demo

Oh shit, it's the nigger loving fuckhat who takes criticism of his shitty art incredibly personally. Everybody out!

kek.

I know I need to improve, been doing some realism latelly.

No need to be scared.
I'm not that faggot.

Embed says otherwise. I remember you.

that was some weeks ago user.

Are you saying you've grown as a person since then? I think not.

dunno, I like to think I'm trying my best to improve everyday.

I don't really think that's enough time to have improved your skills dramatically.

Here comes the wannabe "dev" drama. Grab the popcorn, guys. I know I am.

I only need to master realism though, some people learn it in a year or two.

Have you finally accepted the fact that blacks love fried chicken and watermelon you fucking bigot?

I don't care, the original question was some fag complaining that people will call him a racist if he used fried chicken, and me explaining he can be more original.

Long as this is essentially an ideaguy thread, I wanted to ask about this one thought I had, and whether it's really feasible from a programming standpoint.
To keep the basic idea simple, and not fill it with extraneous details, it's a virtual arcade with NPC movement. At maximum, there'd be like two games running at once, the virtual arcade itself and whatever arcade game you may start playing, and ideally these wouldn't just be dirt-simple minigames; they'd be simple maybe, but enough to actually look like a proper arcade game. The game and its assets load in when you activate the cabinet, and then it unloads when you leave. But while you're playing a game, things still happen outside in the arcade itself, things like time progression and moving NPCs.

My main question is, is something like this really possible? Like, from a programming standpoint, without using up a fuckton of computer memory?

you could load just one game at a time and simply keep an animation on the games you're not using.

I'm going to bully you.
If you really want to do this, then why do you need more ideas to justify it?

Game dev takes a long-ass time and becomes work, as in a true second job, the second you finish implementing the basic mechanics that you're interested in and are left with the grind of actually producing the game.

If you're asking for inspiration, then you don't believe in an idea, and you don't believe in an idea because you don't have an idea in the first place. If you don't believe in an idea, then you won't have the drive to make it happen. If you don't have the drive to make it happen, the game will not come to be. Any game of appreciable size will, at the very minimum, take months of full-time labor to produce. You're not going to make that happen if you don't genuinely care. Game studios get people to care through paychecks. Individuals only have their interests and dreams to keep them caring, and nobody can give those to you but you. You have to conceptualize what it is that you're making that's so damn important to you that you need to spend so much fucking time making it happen.

The questions that you've asked so far are ones that, if you really intend to pursue game dev, you need to be able to answer on your own. If other people are designing the game for you, then you're just making the games that someone else wants, and if you're not going to pursue your own dreams, then you're better off getting a job doing it so you're at least getting paid. You're practically the inverse problem of Ideas Guy.

This is a thing:
store.steampowered.com/app/266430/Anarchy_Arcade/
So I'd say yes, you could probably do far, far more than that.

Thanks, but I've found usually trying to explain my shit to others really helps to solidify your thoughs.

That was basically the plan already, but again, the arcade itself and any characters moving around inside the place need to still be active while you're playing the game. Under some circumstances, they might be able to seek you out and/or interact with you while you try to play. yes this is a completely intentional element.

Nothing's really going on in the 3D arcade area. It's just a virtual desktop that loads in shortcuts.
…Maybe it would work.

why do you need to spend cycles on just something that an animated texture will do better?

You mean on NPC movement in the background? I probably don't need to animate all of them, but there would be characters who need to be able to seek you out and interact with you, because to be completely clear, there's more going on than just a virtual arcade.

most people won't realize it and you can trick them with a simple animated texture.

I'm not quite sure how that would help with characters approaching and interacting with you.
Like, let's say we've got player A, and dickhole with bad breath who wants to know what you're doing B. B thinks he's A's friend, so he's gonna chase after A and try to ask what's up if he sees him. How would that translate if A is playing a game at that time? Having B just not interact isn't an option, so would we have to somehow keep running his script in the background, or would there be like a simple mini-script that randomly determines if B will find you and shove his dumb face in your business?

have simply the NPC code execute his loop until you interact with him, if he needs to go and play a game do it only when the player is watching him, unless you need to interact with the game the NPC is playing, you could simply play some animation instead.

I just don't see why is so important as to render several minigames at the same time.

Simpler solutions are better, in that example, just use a timer or some delay.

I got excited because I thought you were proposing Arcade Tycoon but that just sounds kinda gay.

I'm actually kind of surprised there's only one arcade tycoon game out there. That it's terrible doesn't surprise me, but the fact it's only been tried once…

You've already fucked up.

Aren't there a ton of gook MMOs like that already? Soul Worker or something and all those others.

have you thought about 2.5D?
it looks like 3D even though its just 2D

It's you. Again. The same idiot who makes constant non-vidya threads and can't take criticism for his art, and has no clear style, and is just making generic trash.

Do something interesting. Don't just be "it's _ + __," make an actual fucking game.