Why hasn't a single RPG come close to this experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/arx/ArxLibertatis
wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Running_the_original_editor
wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Development_snapshots#Windows
homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=4159
arx-libertatis.org/
arxendofsun.solarsplace.com/bBeen
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why

Skyrim with mods. Jokes aside all games will become mmo clones soon anyway.

any game that could even begin to compete with Bethesda's lockdown on the first person RPG market must either die prematurely or be smothered in mediocrity. the monopoly demands it.

Because people are retards and French faggots no longer make good games. Very few game developers go for niche market, they all want the bigger slice possible; Funnily enough, a lot of niche game end up becoming appealing to a lot of people. In the end, this is the biggest flaw on market research: It can only tell you what people knowingly want to play,

more like what people knowingly wanted to play. you can never guarantee that what everyone liked even a year ago will do as well the next year.

I think it's more the painfully obvious untapped potential the player can see pretty much at any stage is what makes Arx so appealing. The sequel could've included surface exploration. But even having several underground kingdoms would've been great.
Also surviving dwarves in other settlements would allow to expand the lore even further.

They aren't built for lots of exposure. Games today are reliant on fan art, youtube videos, and streaming to become widely popular. If you were to make a game like Arx Fatalis to today's standards, it would take at least $300k, and you would be lucky if it broke even.

I heard this game was open-source or some shit right.

t's a really good game but supposedly the balance shits itself later in the game if you go for melee only build it's gonna be hard. I played it a year ago, got stuck at the puzzle in the crypt haven't played it since. I tried setting the shapes that were in the rooms corresponding to the direction but I couldn't figure it out, I refuse to look up a guide. I

The engine is, the assets aren't.
github.com/arx/ArxLibertatis

It came out years after. That's why.

I really wanted to like it but the rune-drawing was just too inconsistent. I swear I'd draw the exact same fucking rune and it would work once but not the next time.

Let me know when there's a mod that allows for reliable rune drawing.

It only becomes hard if you try to be good at everything. Pure strength with close combat or pure con with defence is almost as ridiculous as pure magic build later on.

Reminder that they were planning to make this Ultima Underworld 3, but couldn't get the license. As such, if you want a similar game just try the Ultima Underworld series.

Desperately needs modding support especially a toolset to allow people to add custom maps, I really love the setting of Arx too, I desperately want a sequel and would make one myself as a sort of expansion pack but the tools simply don't exist, I even made high detail replacers for the Gobblers a while back but even the tools to decompile/complie characters don't exist for the game.

What do you think of my idea for sequel/expansion.

Body left behind by Hero is now generic human form, no features, reanimates on stone slate, memories and previous powers are gone, player builds character and starts on a new journey, for the most part it's non linear allowing the player to explore into newly opened sections of the underground or even visit other places via the surface, no real idea on the story, don't care, just wish the tools existed to allow me to make this.

It's so fucking archaic that replays make me cringe in fear.

Now as much as most other games of the time at least.

not as much*

I just looked to find a mouselook mod for it and can't find shit. I swear I played through it with one.

Did it really get an SDK release, or just a .fgd file for Hammer?

Unless they make it an ASSCreed knockoff I doubt they'd ever bother.

Why Ubisoft? Arkane is owned by Bethesda now.

For what purpose. Better just a guy who joined a trading caravan. The good TES games were about nonames who stumbled into the right place at the right time, for example.

Might've been a patch. Something like 1.3 changed the controls section of the settings to add a checkbox related to mouselook. I distinctly remember this because how out of place it looked among key bindings.

they're practically the same anyway

I wonder if there's any hope for Underworld Ascendant. It looks like they're still working on it.

I don't have any hope for reboots of classic games. Maybe I will be proven wrong.

It's being developed by some company made from an ex Looking Glass guy in Massachusetts. Now I don't know how bad the whole SJW shit is over in MA but I can't imagine it's as bad as your average San Fransisco or Quebec shithouse.

Yeah, I don't know either. For starters I'm not really into the look of it. I think that's one thing Arx really nailed.

Arx libertatis has a new rune drawing system
The problem with the mouse recognition in Arx Fatalis is that its poorly designed. The game was not meant to run at high framerates and resolutions so the rune drawing doesn't scale well.

Well, they've taken on Spector as a studio director so I'm wary. They do have a number of old Looking Glass people, maybe they have what it takes but trusting past names has proven to lead to nothing but disappointment so far.

oh, nevermind then.

Did anyone else really love Arx Fatalis at the start of the game and like it less and less as time went by? Early on it felt like it had a cool survival/exploration deal going on, and felt a lot like Thief with a dash of Wizardry. As they revealed more plot details and you started getting into the backtracking and running around, and as it turned from "one dude just trying to get the fuck out of these tunnels and find your way to human civilization" into "you are the hero now save us from this evil god" stuff, I felt my enjoyment decline considerably.

Still a good game through the end but I liked the early parts a lot more and I would have liked it better overall if it was a lot more linear in its progression (I don't mean linear maps but rather, not tons of backtracking - the backtracking led to getting too familiar with the maps and no longer really feeling like you're in a strange, unknown, dangerous place) and was just about a guy trying to find his way and not about saving the world.

Also, the crypt section was shit. Dragged on way too long and was way too generic-fantasy.

You don't need mouselook for Ultima Underworld, in fact you don't even need a mouse. It's much more simple than something like System Shock.

I meant for lateral movement. Yeah you don't ever need to look up or down.

Yes. I really liked the start of the game, but once you're revealed to be some kind of angel or w/e I stopped caring.

I guess you're right in that aspect, it would be better to give the players a character with a completely undefined history, but I wouldn't even make it a guy who joined a trading caravan, maybe someone being delivered as part of the caravan even leaving whether they chose to or were forced into the caravan as something up to the player.

Then again I really liked the idea of the opposite of the protagonist of the original, a character who has no fate or purpose.

I'm sure Bethesda owns Arkane, however Jowood the company that published Arx Fatalis were purchased by Nordic games now known as THQ Nordic. However it appears that Arkane self published Arx Fatalis to PC themselves and the company that published Arx Fatalis to Xbox were different so it probably is now owned by Bethesder.

With a modern rig you need to use Arx Libertatis. I also suggest applying the mod from the nexus (there is only one), some good adjustments that don't affect the vanilla experience too much while making things more rational and interesting.

Not mutually exclusive. Willingly leaving with the caravan - wanderlust, unwillingly - fucked the princess that was supposed to be given to the snakewomen and has to run very far now.

I would love a sdk for Arx Fatalis but at this point it doesn't seem like there's any interest in doing it.

I tried to play this game in 1080 resolution and the resolution didn't match my screen so I was annoyed but I could still see parts of it. The long them problem was the inventory couldn't be properly accessed which made me lose like 40% of my inventory. I refused to play the game like that and Arx Libertatis didn't support 1080, though it might now do so/

They aren't but it just goes into a character who is the opposite of the avatar, a character who was created with a purpose vs a character who came into existence with no purpose, that was really the only interest I had in such a character. Okay so sure technically every human pops into existence with no purpose but it's more they are both divinely created, and the idea of the Avatar returning to find his former self would be quite interesting itself.

Not entirely true, I was just talking to one of the devs and managed to get the blender plugin working so I can actually make some progress on what I wanted to do initially which was to make higher detail character models, I initially thought that the world in Arx was assembled similar to games like Quake with a bsp system but it appears that the map is build in 3d software and then stitched together, so it will be possible in the future to make new maps.

It supports 1080

I want. I've always wanted to see new equipment like armor/weapons for the game. When I was younger I really wanted to see something like the Soul Reaver from Legacy of Kain as a weapon.

The game was made with a map editor called "DANAE" which stands for DAmnable but Necessary Arx Editor. It wasn't released until the source code was and is apparently very broken in terms of how it functions.

Arx Fatalis is a game I would adore being able to map for but it's disappointing it'll likely be years til that happens.

Another aspect of Arx I'm disappointed hasn't been reincorporated is the Original Xbox spell system. Arx Fatalis on the Original Xbox had a more hotkey based spell system. You had a more generic spellbook and you binded spells to a key to cast them. I found I actually preferred this to the "draw runes to cast spell" system since I could actually rely on casting spells in a pinch far more.

Oh yeah, those runes can suck my dick, I hope that gets fixed at a later date, and yeah an editor would be great, I wasn't aware that the editor's source code was released, and if it isn't well then fuck. it's taken around 4 years between the previous patch and the upcoming one and the upcoming one doesn't have a release date so the editor will be around by the time I've retired.

Why hasn't a single game with dragons recaptured the feeling?

wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Running_the_original_editor

Dragons are the bad guys and you have to kill hem.

Is doing a stealth run decent in this? All the videos I looked up is just a guy getting onto a cliff then picking off enemies hp.

Stealth is the most underdeveloped aspect of the game. It isn't adequately fun to do and you really need to cheese huge segments of the game.

The game also has very clear boss fights against some big giant monster so making a less fighter oriented character isn't recommended.

I guess that's something, the dev I was talking to said that they planned to build a blender plugin for the editor suite, probably just to edit and build the maps and the content within them, but that's probably miles off, even the blender plugin is a mess, I can only import from the c: drive for some reason and I can't fiddle with animations, I won't be able to get any of my work in game apart from statics and weapons.

I found that stealth sucked, I put all my points into it and it was still useless, couldn't sneak past dick, had no hp and did little damage, maybe I was missing something.

idk why my last post saged. That sucks. I really liked the stealth in Dark Messiah. It reminded me a ton of Thief and there really aren't any games like that.

EVEN THOUGH ITS BEEN ALMOST 20 FUCKING YEARS AND EVERYONE MEMES OFF IT

The fire extinguishing spell is your best friend in this. Haven't tried with invisibility, but it should work.
Backstabs are absolutely insane if you level your character right. Also backstabs stack with crits.

Sneaky characters in Arx are supposed to heavily rely on poison. Just look at the rat assholes and copy everything they do.

Also, the stealth skill is Hide + Move Silently. Armour affects the latter part. There's a reason "thief-specific" garb is enchanted leather.
And it goes without saying that the games stealth system is much less forgiving than those modern games tend to utilize.

Less of a Boss fight more of a fucking puzzle. Oh, and the damn is fucking with you the entire time.

That's not really whats making me skeptical. I'd rather do stealth in something like Stalker or Farcry 2 than a new stealth game like dishonored or Styx. I just don't want it to be shit like the elder scrolls where the stealth classes are just fighters who depends on magic.

In Arx if you want to be good at something you specialize. You pour as much attribute and skill points into it. So Dex and Stealth. Dex gives you passable Close Combat too.

Bumping from the bottom of the pile

Arx Libertatis has been getting updates but an official release has not been pushed out since 2013, you can download the latest nightly which contains a few more fixes

wiki.arx-libertatis.org/Development_snapshots#Windows

Version 1.2 features improved rune drawing, the ability to "resume" your latest save from the main menu, support for fullscreen window, hud scaling and a few more features, there's also a ton of bugfixes available, if you want to play Arx I recommend playing using the latest Arx Libertatis release 1.2 nightly.

What would make Arx perfect for me is the Xbox controls/hud and the sdk

unfortunately I don't see either happening. At least not for another 5+ years.

I like the PC interface, is there anything else special about the Xbox one?

Are there giant spiders in Arx?

It's a bit cleaner, the UI is more reminiscent of Deus Ex (especially in the inventory). It's a bit more modern in general. It also reminded me a bit more of Morrowind which was a plus in my book. It's something I miss when I play the PC version now. I'm not the biggest fan of the player's stats/spells being in a book

Oh yeah. There's a big one really early on you have to either kill/avoid

I started rebuilding some of the assets for Arx Fatalis, this is the one closest to completion the female base model, much cleaner topology, better definition, much better for animating than the original, but at the current point in time I can't export rigged models, so until the blender import/export tool is finished all I can do is hoard higher detail assets.

The lower poly model is actually in the game itself along with the textures but I don't think any characters use it. Looking at the character models it appears that every movement is animated via bones which explains why the characters have a generic speaking animation instead of lip syncing, I'm hoping with these updated character models I can inspire the dev team to pick up pace and support the features I want.

The male base, Goblin and Goblin Lord are coming along too but I'd rather show ones where the model is complete at least.

I prefer the book and belt strap look in the PC version, but they could do a better job, the interface isn't as easy to interact with as it could be.

I would love to discuss this sort of thing on Discord. I love this

What being afraid of Spiders, I mean I guess they are somewhat scary but I never got that fear everyone seems to have of them, and I used to live in Australia. I'm going to be gone for a few hours anyway.

no the models

I was sort of kidding, I'm going to be gone for a few hours anyway.

That game was mind blowing when it came out, i bet most faggots here only played it years later when it became a meme

Most reviews of Arx at the time compared it somewhat negatively to Morrowind. Since Morrowind had a much larger world and also was on the xbox at around the same time. However almost everyone unanimously agreed Arx had better combat.

I didn't play it til I found out about Gog. It's the same reason I discovered Arcanum.

Arx has never been a meme. It's always been fairly underrated and little-known.

I played it back when I saw the review on Home of the Underdogs.
homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=4159

Holy shit user, that brings me back.

my nigga

The original site is long dead, this is just a backup I think.

By what metric? fuck off retard.

What did you want to discuss particularly anyway?

Wow you're so cool user ; trips totally not wasted on a dick munching cockgoblin

Those two things aren't related, what is that thing at the bottom anyway, I only recall that the lone troll had sculpted it but I don't recall meeting what he had sculpted.

If he got trips, that means Kek blessed his posts and not yours. It isn't 'wasted' just because he made you cry.

You're an idiot.

Bumping once more, it appears there is little love for Arx Fatalis.

I have the male base where I want him I'm probably going to re unwrap the UVs and increase the resolution of the textures by 4x dimension wise giving me about 1024x1024 for body textures and 512x512 for the face textures, the temp ones seem to work for now but I want to improve the visuals wherever I can. The poly count is much higher now allowing for much better animation, facial animation and even morph targets for character customization, both for the body and face, but these are engine side features that the Arx Libertatis would need to support, even then the game itself is quite short, especially when you know what to do, so it wouldn't be particularly valuable.

To match the female base the male one is now completely nude, but I want to add in the leather underwear as a piece of clothing that the player can equip, the only shame is that the NPCs in the game don't have any lines talking about the pc not wearing any clothes. Arx Fatalis itself is sorely lacking in diversity, clothing diversity, I don't recall once finding any robes for a magic build which is a real shame since a magic build is not only completely viable but completely OP, yet the game doesn't offer robes or anything like that, I will definitely fix that if my work gets anywhere.

So currently I'm working on the Goblin, the Goblin Lord, the Troll and Snake tits, I don't plan on making nude Troll and Goblin variations but I may make a naked Snake tits, I hate their outfits and there's a really cool piece of concept art with a naked one and they look much better, but having a nake Snake Tits in the library in Arx would be strange so I will be making a clothed variation, but I also hate the snake tits outfit so I will make a new one.

I started replaying Arx Fatalis recently and I really enjoy the how interacting with the environment is typically not done via just a menu, I think for a sequel this could be greatly improved on like handing NPCs items and getting reactions, but also having unmarked quests, like giving a character a potion that cures ailments after the player deducts that that NPC's coughing is a side effect from a disease, so much fucking potential., I fear a sequel made by Nu Arkane, the Arkane that wouldn't have nude women in their games.

Do it.

I'm not a fan of how they look in game, I think they could be improved but at the same time I'm not sure if people would like how far I'm straying, especially with my Goblin's looking very close to the original games Goblins.

Is that the real reason Zenimax bought out Arkane?

I'm nearly finished the Goblin, just need to do the hands and the head, the head will probably be quite hard since the structure isn't very human, the Goblin Lord will be much easier, texturing these guys would be hard though, their skin looks like it's really rough like that of a toad, that really just means a fuckload of work would need to be put into the skin.

Using the importer tools I've managed to import levels but yet again these can't be exported, I was sure that the levels were created using the brush method used in Quake and Half life but it appears that large portions of the level are actually created as discrete geometry in a cad tool, I was even initially sure that the furniture was placed within the level separately within the games SDK but based on this importer furniture, torches and even books are just level geometry, it appears that the only things that aren't level geometry are interactive objects, of course minus things like seats and fire sources that can just be points for npcs to interact with.

So far the Blender plugin appears to be able to import level geometry, level lights and the navmesh, no support for script activators, or cutscenes or even the placement of interactive objects, at least from my observations, the plugin also imports some things incorrectly generating quads incorrectly.

Playing the game it's easy to notice errors in the level geometry, especially in the Goblin fort where the stairways have angled bricks, Still a shame that the blender plugin is quite early or else I could easily create fixes for these and have them done in a matter of hours, I could even look at adding in new content, wouldn't it be nice if the city of Arx had more civilians and houses?

What a joke, why even try when you're going to be ruined by someone with one one billionth the talent but 10x the marketing.

This game has my favorite type of aesthetic in vidya. Really creates an atmosphere that sticks which is why I remember it so many years later. Absolutely classic, gonna try to make it run on my ubuntu laptop today

that is a lot of woman right there

arx-libertatis.org/

no way thats real

You faggots need to keep an eye on this fan project arxendofsun.solarsplace.com/bBeen a year since the last update but they are still working on it

Arx Libertatis fixed that. Best way to play it anyways.

She's a big girl. Get Libertatis has native linux support.

I played it about a year ago, and I didn't have too much trouble in the runes, except for (Z) Movis. It would not accept it as an input no matter how precise, slow, or fast I drew it.

What version of AF were you using?

Thanks, got it running now, everything seems to work flawlessly. 10/10