Dwarf Fortress thread

I haven't seen one in a while so here it is. Post forts/stories/questions

I recently started a fort with the most macabre dwarves

My colony was ambushed by furry bait and they beat her until she could no longer survive by herself instead of killing her. Fucking amazing. No wonder the fort's most worshiped god is the god of war, death and suicide
By the way how stressful is for a dwarf to butcher 30 stray cats and dogs?

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how do i get stonesense and the game on my screen at the same time

The key is to do it before any attachment is made, otherwise you'll need to adjust the breeding rate of all your cats. Oh and changed the gay-straight ration to 3% it's unsustainable and the cats will die out if left unattended.

"stonesense overlay" in dfhack console window

Congratulations, you've created an imageboard in DF.

DorfFort9000

I've been wanting to try dwarf fortress, but I'm too scared.
How do I stop being scared of new things?

Yes the butcher chopped 30 kitten heads and he's only distracted because he was unable to practice a martial art he wants to keep killing

pic related

This might be the cause though

So is it every dwarf?

Are there any D&D based mods to add a greater degree of bestiary to DF?

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature
As if that wasn't fucking enough, there's also randomly generated shit

Why would you do this? Dorf can only run on 1 core, so modern CPUs aren't better unless you have an antique in your computer.

g3258 OC'd to 4.3 on air is probably the best value you could ever get

DF is single-threaded

I kinda want to make a fort where all Dwarves are children of the initial 7 with no migrants. The only problem is that it takes a long time for it to really pick up.

Another issue is that a 2x3 or even a 3x4 plot of plump helmets is enough to churn out like 1,200 alcohol and keep the fort running indefinitely

Oh yeah I actually wanted to post,

What's a better fort idea? Some kind of Aztec/Mayan aesthetic or treetop in a forest? I'm leaning towards the latter, and I can just flood everything.

there was one yesterday that got deleted in like a half hour because the op responded to shitposting with ebinposting

Get out of here elf.

Seems pretty Dwarfy to me. It's not what you do, it's the intent.

Weird, how I just downloaded it and was thinking of making a thread myself. Anyways, what's a good graphics pack and how does a retard like myself install it?

I like to shill my upscaled default texture pack with a few enhancements

Its an i7 7700K running 4.2 Ghz stock, OCable to 4.8 on air.
Currently best single-core performance of all CPUs meant for the consumer market.

Its so fast it may actually get bottlenecked by RAM first and CPU itself later.
However time will tell as its still in transit.
Thank fuck I almost exclusively play extremely CPU heavy games or I could never justify spending all those sheckels for a single game.

I know F12 makes a lot of the text easier to read like that, but it's often offset and there's still parts where the text doesn't get rewritten. I guess I'll stick with the default.

Default ascii is beautiful but you can try phoebus from what I've read it's the best graphics pack

As someone who has played for some 10 years now, the holy trinity of tilesets is for me is phoebus, ironhand and maydays. Maydays is the odd one out because it looks like clown puke but contrary to popular belief its EXTREMELY readable. Moreso than the other two.

Trips confirm.

It's easier to just use two monitors, since the UI is a pain in the ass to use through stonesense.

Masterwork pottery.

Why not just 0%? Unless you're conscripting all of the gays into the meatshield branch of your dorfen military, what's the point of them? You need breeding stock, not non-breeding resource devourers.

Because fags complain.

I don't see the problem.

Imaging fags flooding bay12 with complains.

Forums are designed to be containment for such forms of autism as homosexuality.

HONORABU VICTORY OR SUDOKU

gays are the best for military for that reason though
no attachments means i can recruit women as well without worrying about babies

Well since there isn't a dominions general and i don't want to make a thread for this i'll just here since we all like autistic games.
Have any of you guys played Illwinter's other series Conquest of Elysium? Are they any good? How does it compare to Dominions?

Gays were fairly common in ancient cultures, including greeks, romans, egyptians, and spartans.

Though in the military castes it was more of a no homo bromance, and otherwise was usually a master dominating his slaves

There's something in common with all of them, though.
They banned sodomy. Punishments varied from death to being stripped of citizenship.

Like pottery

First real fort after just having learned how to play the game.

It's pretty fun.

For(t) you.

rimworld > dwarf fortress

According to (((Mark Goldberg))) and other (((researchers))).

Its funny how you can tell how new someone is to DF by how horizontal is his fortress

Shaft fortress are best fortress

Different experiences. rimworld doesnt force me to constantly brew alcohol for a horde of dwarves

That fort triggers me

I've never seen such a messy fort layout. It's even messier than the generated ones.

Give him a break, its a new guy
Soon he will be making glorious deep fortresses with magma contraptions

I forgot to ask:
When I start a new game, the area I select to play is half forest and half mountains for example. When the game starts, on most cases the area that was represented as mountains on the world map is actually a huge mountain plain, no altitude changes but there are no plants or trees. Only the areas surrounded by several layers of mountains on the world map have real altitude changes. Is that normal?

I have to re embark several times because I end up on a huge flora empty plain where there should be mountain (it's not a mesa, I can see the change between mountain environment and the regular plains with tress and there's no altitude change between them) I imagine that trees and plants should grow all the way until the cliffs start rising. This is really fucking annoying because I want to have trees nearby, or a river, and nothing's ever close to the real mountains. I end up building a surface fortification to guard the entrance to the fort but it ends up covered in vomit because dwarves dont like sunlight

mountain biome is usually barren wasteland and it expands far beyond where the actual mountains are
you can find lots of altitude variation on any biome, specially forest, you can see the rough terrain map before embark

I don't know why exactly, but something about that fort makes me very angry.

Recently got back into it and both my forts died a horrible FPS death in year 6.

Try dfhack fixes. But it makes game unstable so remove dfhack afterwards.

Is there a mod or something that makes it possible to see what minerals are available on a location before embark? I'm still searching for the promised land with an iron ore, flux stone, trees, coal, and an economic ore like silver. Shallow Metals isn't really descriptive enough, and just missing parts of the steel making process isn't really difficult as much as it is annoying and tedious.
My experience isn't improved by having to wait a whole year for a shipment of flux stone that I'll burn through in a month just in time to do it all over again.

DFhack has a command for that

might wanna start thinking about that trading depot. and remember trading wagons require 3x3 to move.