Gaming Laptops

Well Holla Forums, I'm heading off to college soon. My PC has served me well, but I'll need to be able to study and work and such on the go. I hate tablets, and I don't want to give up gaming, so I need a quality high-performance laptop.
My budget sits around $2000. What's the best gaming laptop I can find?

Other urls found in this thread:

xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-clevo-sager-notebooks-ct-95-51-162#!/dir=asc&limit=100&no_cache=true&order=price
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Alright here's a list of good gaming laptops:

Get a Lenovo Thinkpad T420 for like $300 tops

You could buy a shotgun for less than that and blow your brains out, redditor.

You could steal anything too

Don't get a gaming laptop for college unless you have a grant and a useless degree.

oh and btw 87% of college degrees are worthless in america and canada.

Just don't. As someone getting a STEM degree entirely for free, even I think college is gay as fuck.

Ebin comments, but unironically use this:

xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-clevo-sager-notebooks-ct-95-51-162#!/dir=asc&limit=100&no_cache=true&order=price

You can spend around 800 dollars for a portable ride and be able to play basically anything. The problem is that you'll likely get stuck with Win 10 OS if you don't build it yourself with your own parts.

None of those are good.

Why?

That razor one that uses an external card.

But they're fine though.

It's a complete waste of time about 90% of the time. You're better off getting some kind of certification or learning a trade. I don't have a choice because you can't really be a scientist without going to college.

I need a laptop, but I also need an upgrade from my shitty desktop rig. Yes, I built it so poorly that a new high-end laptop would be an upgrade. I'm too retarded to build a new computer (tried it with this piece of shit and it doesn't run nearly as well as it ought to, plus it's cost about twice what it's worth for having to fix all my fuck-ups). Even if I was capable of building a new PC, I can't afford to both build a good PC and get a shitty laptop, and I really don't want to deal with having two computers anyway.

I don't know what exactly I want to do, but it sure isn't a trade. I'm going to study mathematics, probably get into some kind of applied statistics. Actuarial science looks cool.

Depends on what you're going into tbh. It just tends to rely on what people find rewarding and what they want to do for the rest of their life.

You should look at if you're tech retarded.

But they aren't.

Then you're too retarded to use a computer. Leave, faggot.

also
Wew

b-but i get good grades

jesus i should fucking kill myself

I want to strangle the marketer that came up with this bullshit

Have fun buying new fan for your gaymer laptop after 2 years for thrice the amount you'd normally pay and don't forget that nowadays those kikes solder ram to motherboard so you can't change it.

Fuck that caught me off guard.

it's a weird feeling to be acutely aware of the fact that i'm deficient on raw brainpower. that i'll never be as intelligent as i want to be. seems like most people are content with their own intelligence or at least deluded enough to believe that they have some bullshit hidden potential. you're born with your mind, there's no escaping it. no such thing as really getting smarter.

Faster than my six year old desktop tbh fam.

Shouldn't be instant?

a high-performance computer is a high-performance computer. if it's got the specs, shouldn't really matter if it's a laptop or desktop

This is honestly the best option. With $1500, you can easily put together a computer with a 1080 and a 6700k and all that good shit, get a thinkpad, and have money leftover.
OP, how does it feel to be so retarded that you can't even put together a computer? How does it feel to be so retarded that you can't follow instructions on how to build a computer or use google?

Sager/Eurocom/Clevo.

So many laptop designs cannot even be opened up & cleaned unless you pretty much disassemble the entire thing potentially breaking about a dozen fragile clips & components. Clevo designs usually have one big panel on the bottom that opens giving access to all fans for cleaning. Also make sure the thing has multiple fans, as many as possible within your budget. Gaming laptops tend to get hot & have terrible battery life. They must be plugged in at a destination & have lots of fans.

All of this. The best option for OP is to fucking kill himself.

Everyone, remember not to bump shit threads.

i feel powerless

gaming labtops

this is a fucking meme, where is pic related.

Putting together a PC is as easy as baking a cake. Why the hesitation and the feeling that you can't do it?

have fun being in debt until you're 40

Do you niggers even install gentoo?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

because i built my current rig, wasted about $600 in replacing badly-chosen parts and failed attempts at fixing an issue, and it doesn't run games nearly as well as it ought to, presumably because i fucked something up

What did you do, buy the wrong RAM, and intel cpu and an AMD motherboard, and a tiny case? That's shit you got to check before you buy the damn parts.

Get a refurbished $300 laptop and buy a console.

A mediocre laptop can play all the PC games you'll need. Pick up a $20 lap cooler.

case was slightly too small for the cooler. decided to use stock cooler and planned to sell the one i bought. computer starts randomly shutting down, figure it's overheating, new case to fit the original cooler. starts shutting down in a different way, realize PSU isn't enough because i didn't overestimate enough. new PSU. computer's still randomly shutting down, no conceivable reason besides overheating; bad airflow because new case was still a bit small and i'm shit at arranging the cables and whatnot. decide to invest in liquid cooling. still shuts down randomly. for some reason, when it randomly shuts down, it doesn't like to post on reboot, monitor doesn't always like picking back up on the input. so i find myself wrestling with this thing, turning it off and on with the power button trying to get it to work, until i must have pressed it at a bad time, because the thing completely craps out. waste money on fry's tech support just so they can confirm my theory that the motherboard's busted. new motherboard. still randomly shutting down. realize that my build is pushing one of the RAM sticks in a weird way, take out the RAM stick that's being pushed, shutdowns finally stop. now i only have 4gigs of ram so things don't run as well, replace with a single 8gb stick because it's cheaper than getting a new mobo. games still run worse, probably because i'm using only a single RAM stick, but i'm not spending the money on a new mobo just to find out if 2 sticks would run better.

just a long series of mistakes that wouldn't have happened if i wasn't a fucktard

I grabbed a T510 from a secondhand shop for like $150 and it plays Fallout NV, Stalker, and CSGO just fine.

The solution is simple. Stop being a fucktard.

you can't just stop being a fucktard. a mind is something you're born with. either you're stupid or you're not. my brain lacks the raw power to be intelligent.

Dude, PC Part picker literally puts a list of compatible parts for online shopping so you don't fuck up all the sizes and shit. Building a PC today is so easy even a 13 year old kid could do it. Here's a video of some blindfolded fag telling his tech illiterate gf how to build one. As someone who fell for the gayming laptop meme, don't buy one, the parts get outdated after two years and you can't do shit about it. Learn how to build a PC, or if you want to get someone to do it for you if you're too retarded, I mean you have 2000$.

part picker told me it was all compatible. maybe i just put it together wrong, then. and yes, i watched tutorials and shit. no amount of online tutorials can make up for sheer ineptitude, it seems.

What's wrong with buying a cheap laptop? OP wants portability. There is no point buying an expensive laptop.
Unfortunately you're missing the entire point of the thread.
did you reply to the wrong person?

Mistake #1

Mistake #2

Who told you it was a good idea to go to uni anyway? Your parents? Other old people who never had to look for a new job in 30 years? College is a place for people who know what corporate butt kissing field they want to specialize in and find a gullible wife while you're there. It's a waste an you are definitely better off getting a networking, computer, or trade cert than going there. If you waste any time at college you are throwing money down the toilet and if you don't have a play day 1 that's what you'll do. Don't go, get a cert in 8 months and spend 1/16th the price, then get the same exact or better paying job than a college grade when you're done. Kids today are so fucking stupid, the job market doesn't require degrees anymore.

I'm speaking from experience here and from people I know in the same boat. I got a degree, ended up working retail for 3 years, got an electrician cert, got a job that pays 65k right as I left the tech school.

Stop making excuses. If you have a problem with yourself, fix it. Don't make excuses for your flaws.

Sorry, I didn't mean to reply to you.

Read the last part, bring all your stuff in to a store like abt or Best Buy where they could build it for you. Also they usually have warnings at the bottom if there's problems with case size, they just don't point it out too well. Also you sound like you're really sad so I'm putting a motivational video in for support :]

Listen to this dismissive anime girl. College today is a trap, and not the fun kind.

If you're not going to be a doctor or engineer kys right now.

First of all, if you're going to college to actually be a doctor or engineer you won't have time to be gaymen. Second of all, gaymen laptops are trash and you should kys.

what degree did you get

This is false. I've only met one engineer who didn't waste at least four hours every day watching Netflix and other inane shit, and that's because he's an ROTC person who spends his time doing that, while managing straight A's. Which is much higher than you really need.

Pre-Med students on the other hand are a variable lot. I've seen some who waste a lot of time, and others who just sort of cruise along. It depends on the actual major they're in, and their year. The freshmen and sophomores tend to be more stressed out, but once the weeder classes get to the herd, the ones remaining have it a lot easier.

just get a cheap laptop and play 2hu or doom or some other toaster-friendly game on it.

Here comes the STEM tard. Most new engineers end up working in finance because there are no jobs in engineering.

bs in mechanical engineering
it's worthless

There are none. Either take your desktop with you and get a shitty netbook for browsing and typing or do the same thing without your desktop and take about one and a half thousand dollars and flush it down the toilet.

I would like to know how they asked the test subjects how painful it was to be killed.

Wow, for that much your laptop might even be able to play TF2 at acceptable framerates. Until Windows 10 forces a few (((important updates))) on you and performance tanks.

Been gaming on a $1000 Acer laptop for three years now and it can run anything just as well as a mid-line desktop. The only thing to take extra care about is to clean it once or twice a year. My specs are:
I took a more powerful processor than the graphics card because I enjoy GSGs

so if my plan is already to go into finance, i guess i'm on the right track

You die pretty much the instant you get hit by a train if you're not unlucky. I don't know where they got most of these duration figures, but the agony numbers seem right.

You literally don't need a laptop. Ever.

Small form factor PC and monitor. If you lack the room to setup a tiny cube and a monitor- You don't have room to put a giant heat belching abomination of a laptop up either.

If you're wanting to piddle around on something on a flight then just fuck with your phone- You're not gonna do anything productive for 2-3 hours in the air that is worth a 5 year money sink.

It's cheaper to make your own.

You'll REALLY not be lazy when you have to look up specific fixes, driver versions and other garbage to accomodate mobile hardware and it's inevitable failing.

Gaming laptops are a fucking farce.

You are wrong.

Nice counterargument fat controller.

Which part is wrong.

How about you start by saying what's wrong with a laptop? I've been gaming on a laptop for three years now without an issue, enjoying being able to travel with it anywhere I please immediately.

Also as a self reply followup.

Unless you're rocking trust fund cash and can buy one of those 3-4K abominations.

You're gonna end up with a mobile GPU. And a mobile GPU is weak as piss compared to desktop equivilants until you get to the 1080m. (IE: A 980m will get shit on by a desktop 970)

There's also throttling as a problem unless you live in the arctic. You'll never get the full power out of your setup because it has to temp throttle the CPU and GPU to not burn up.

You paid for a closed off box that will fail on you faster than any desktop hardware that underperforms in all facets. If you're fine with doing that then more power to you.

It makes more sense to have a good desktop or small form factor PC and just having a cheap bang around laptop for traveling if you're some sort of truck driver or eccentric businessman who gets sent on trips weekly.

Otherwise if you're a "Student" (lol) you're not really moving around that goddamn much let's be honest here. Same if you're an ordinary person unless you're an autist setting up a giant glowing keyed laptop in the mcdonalds on the reg.

Are you this short-sighted? Once you gaming laptop can't keep up anymore you need to buy a whole new one at the $1k pricetage they warrant. With a desktop you get a new GPU that's a year or two old or a newer CPU at $199 or so. Sometime down the line, like in 10 years, you will have to get a new board maybe but we'll see how that goes when the future comes. So that being said you are wasting money on a machine you can not upgrade and under-performs.

Already lasted three years, so this claim is untrue

Moving between two cities twice a week, plus I gotta bring my computer to faculty regularly

Spending $1k (actually, adjusting to the current conversion ratio between my currency and USD, it's $800) on a computer every ~4 years is acceptable and something I've been doing with a desktop anyway. The key is to pick out part well enough so as to have them to be good enough for those four years, but not much past that as to not overspend. Also, don't forget that old parts break down on a desktop too.

All in all, you can get a good laptop that can run games just as well as a desktop for under $1k and it'll last you for several years and has great mobility, which is what OP was asking about.

Regular cleaning + cooling pad will severely limit this.

in CURRENT YEAR you cant post >gaming >laptop anymore because our lord and savior nVidia(TM) has decided to put desktop GPU into laptops for the first time in human history
so if you buy laptop with the 1xxx nvidia card you will get the equivalent desktop gpu in your laptop

in a serious note i recently bought Lenovo Legion Y520 and it plays (for example) Dude Sex Mankind Divided at high details (not ultra) at stable 30 fps which is imho very decent for "gaming laptop"
it has some i5 cpu, 1050ti gpu, 250 ssd (in m2 slot and is pretty fucking fast), ips display
only downside is the god awful gaming design

How bout no

About the average intelligence of the Holla Forumsirgin.

Buy a cheap laptop for work and then spend the cash you've saved on a desktop for vidya. If you try to get a laptop that can play vidya you'll end up spending more than getting both separately and have inferior overall performance + no potential for long-term upgrading like you would with a desktop.

Why not?
There has been almost no good games for the past 10 years, any decent laptop could play everything before 2007 without problem.

You would think, but it still takes time for the brain to biologically "die". There is still residual oxygen and blood floating around up there. We have no conclusive evidence that people who have removed their heads are still aware or still think for any length of time, for obvious reasons, but we cannot totally rule out the possibility that there is some form of unknown cosmic anguish experienced in the last moments of a brain now scattered.

Also OP, take it from me: you don't want a gaming laptop in college. You don't want a desktop either. For the next 4 years you have no life, and every additional piece of worldly possession becomes a burden. Every single time you move, and you will move VERY frequently, you must literally lift that burden.

Get yourself a sandybridge thinkpad and the handheld of your choice (3DS or Vita). You won't have a lot of time to play video games anyways, and getting a decent thinkpad for $200 prioritizes durability and battery life – which is what you'll want when you're throwing that fucker into and out of a backpack every single day for 4 years. Wait until you graduate, wait until you get a job and an apartment and a chair and a desk, then use your new higher paycheck to purchase the monolithic gaming rig of your dreams.

This.

Playing post-2007 games on "gaming" hardware running Windows makes you the plebiest of plebs.

I just bought a regular laptop and played low spec games like Morrowind and Deus Ex.

lol

If yiou have $2000
then spend $1500 on a desktop and $300 on a laptop for word and internet usage
Problem Solved.
Gaming laptops are cancer and you'll probably just end up playing skyrim or some equally shitty post apocalyptic game when you should be concentrating on your studies.

so you're shitposting, ok.

Off yourself immediately.

Anything with a 1060, 1070 or 1080 is what you want user. Those laptops are high-end enough to where you shouldn't have to worry too much about CPU power, RAM, etc.
I recommend building a PC though, as I researched laptops for months and a PC just ends up being better almost every time, save browsing whilst lying down (which a notebook/ultra book would be better for anyways)

This happened to me. Got mech eng degree and was competing with the cream of the crop (as in the average mark is 99% or above). Plus the pay isn't that well for the effort I put in once I did get the job. Later took aircraft eng license that took me only 2 years and I'm getting paid almost double of what I did before. The worst part is the latter could've been achieved right after high school. You could also be a pilot for the same time period but I hate flying once I've learnt the percentage rate of mechanical failure in aircrafts. I'm curious about STEM course people are talking about here in case I need a change or broaden someone else's future choices.

Since idiots are going to bump this shitty thread for eternity, can anyone tell me why OP and retards like him put so many spaces after their sentences? People who obviously don't belong here started doing it like a year ago and I have no idea why. Drives me nuts.

Why are SJW posting in h8chan?

fixed it

The niggers on this board never cease to amaze me

The niggers on this board never cease to amaze me.

I took stock Electrical Engineering, but ended up getting a job in Software Engineering. The effort isn't super high, and the pay is only 64k, but that's more than enough for a single user like me and I like everybody that I work with. My degree was 75% totally fucking worthless for the job, but I did learn some programming in the degree and programming is what I ended up doing – so 25% was worth it in the end.

The thing is though I got a degree for more than just a job. I got a degree so I could make it my hobby. I will never ever not ever build a GPS navigation box or a nixie tube clock for my job, but that doesn't mean I can't do it for myself. And I've got dreams too. Dreams that go beyond money and bread and rent. Dreams of taking small steps towards the positronic brain. Dreams of a future filled with robot waifus

lol that game doesn't have any system requirementsthat anyone has figured out yet…

There are very few instances in which a laptop is needed these days. Desktop+tablet is a massive improvement over the Desktop+laptop format of yesteryear.

I have never once seen an instance where a tablet is better than either a laptop or a smartphone. Tablets are shitty middlegrounds between real computers like laptops and mobileshit like smartphones. They don't do either side well at all. Laptops are the pinnacle of portable computer if you're doing literally anything but mindless consumption, in which case the smartphone is what you need.

The desktop basically only exists for the sake of gaming and fringe applications like rendering.

Tablets are garbage for any kind of productivity. They basically exist solely for plebeians to stream video and play tapping freemium mobileshit.

Desktop+phone is best combination. A phone does everything you need that the desktop can't do, while also doing more than a tablet can do. A tablet has no meaningful advantage over a desktop or a smartphone.

I'm about to graduate with a degree in software engineering. How good are my prospects

lol

what about the screen size and specs?

What does it matter in your daily life?

well, I for one have really shit eyes
a bigger screen would be much appreciated
there could be a number of reasons depending on the individual

Surprisingly good if you're not a Pajeet. The industry is shifting towards iterative development and for whatever reason the Pajeet's cannot into iterative at all. Pajeets flooding the job market are all part of the old monolithic model where you got a project, spent months defining exactly what it was, spent 2 years developing, and then delivered something at the end and never touched it again. Iterative development is more focused on fast rough prototypes with fast feedback from the client so it can be constantly refined and re-iterated again. It takes a quarter as much time and effort and results in a better product that the client is happier to receive because they've been directly involved in the refinement process.

Why buy two things when you can just have one good laptop suited for everything

yeah I just did iterative development/AGILE with my senior project. Thanks, I was a little worried that I wouldn't have good prospects because I'm not a pajeet.

Suicide is the best option

I'm sure there's a ton of reasons that people might have wrong opinions, but for the general population, tablets are inferior.

We call that "Hell".

It's you who should suicide himself

t. /leftyleech/

Irrelevant since there is nothing you can do on a tablet/phone that benefits from a 2" larger screen and the viewing distance of a handheld device is massively dynamic. Just hold the screen closer.
Comparable between phones and tablets, but similarly irrelevant. God forbid your clicker kusoge take a whole extra 0.3 seconds to boot up. Quad-core is already overkill in mobile devices, since there's nothing to use all that CPU for except switching screens ever so slightly faster.

The convenience cost of lugging an extra non-pocket-portable device and another battery to keep charged far outweighs any perceived benefits of a tablet.

you faggots actually use a phone for anything other than calls and SMS?

lmao

Shameful. I have one too. Got it for free around 2007.

Free as in freedom?

Freedom aint free

you are fucking retarded

A very succinct and accurate evaluation

Free as in zero dollars.

Why are they publicly declaring themselves servants of chaos?

How does one be their own age 'ironically'?

Really gets the neurons firing

It's something I learned in school when I was young. Just looked it up; turns out I'm wrong. That's going to be a tough habit to break.