There will never be a city building game as comfy as black and white 2

Black and White Thread, I guess

Also feel free to prove me wrong and recommend me a city builder. I am fine with it being difficult, Black and White 2 with it's unfinished and completly 100% broken AI is easy enough.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/48c7bc/amd_radeon_software_crimson_how_can_i_deactivate/?st=j2544fpz&sh=303ca42b
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I remember playing black and white1 when i was a wee lad. good times

Plenty of comfy city builders around.

Even if it's incredibly easy with basically no challenge at all. Even if the enemy AI so fundamentally broken, that they are severly underpopulated and end up in a death spiral (even if you permanently change the time of day to night and give them more villagers through deliberately sacrificing yours to the Siren).

Even if there is no Sandbox mode, no auto-generated Islands and no Multiplayer.
It still is so incredibly comfy and you rather think about making an aesthetic city than autistically being compelled to maxing out productivity and other stats.
All other city builders just 100% concentrate themselves on the city building aspect and production chains. Those would be nice in Black and White 2, but it also has a basic military system, which is fun to use imo.
I don't want to play strategy games that focus on the multiplayer experience to make sure every single thing is "balanced", that mentality is what made War for the Overworld sacrifice their potential. Dungeon Keeper 2 is also a fun game. Popolous too. All games from Peter Molyneux that no one ever managed to copy.
Feel free to correct me and prove me wrong.

From Dust is a fun little PUZZLE game. :)

My problem with B&W2 is that the game had no chalenge, you literally could not lose in that game.

The last time I played the game, I actually tried to lose. I let the inital Viking raiders in the first proper mission into my city and they just attacked the buildings.

They didn't even try taking my city. I still don't know what happens if they take your city, because even in later missions they always just attack my buildings.

BW1 >>>>> BW2

In bw1 you had a proper monster with nice ai.

That might be so, but I like the citybuilder aspect of 2.

(I never played 1)

Oh man, 1 was so much fun, you usually couldn't reach the enemy lords territory with your influence so you had to bounce fireballs off of hillsides to reach him. Your animal avatar was your only agent outside of your zone and you had to train him, he behaved completely like an animal and he developed quirks for himself. Try out BW1, the ai was much more complex than 2 and you could lose. Oh boy could you lose.

Also your animal could grow taller than a mountain in 1. About 5 times the max size of BW2s. If you fed him right in childhood. There was a guide to max out his size.

I remember my wolf would always shit on people's homes and then throw it around. Never could get him to stop. Then he learned lightning level 3 and things got out of control.

BW1 is best for the pet AI
BW2 is best for content quantity and building aspects

Both great, neither too "hardcore" but 2 is specially challengeless, at most you could be set back a couple times, making the game longar than it should be.
But playing as a god and casting miracles or just tossing shit away with your giant magical hand? What's not to like?

Also, can both be played on win7? I tried with my copy of BW2 last time and there were all sorts of graphical glitches, I think I read somewhere that there was some fan compatibility patch for the first one, but don't quote me on that.

I managed to get it to work. Do you have an AMD graphics card? I looked it up and I actually had to manually experiment a bit to get it to work. To my knowledge I am the only one who ever posted the solution. You should find it in the amd/radeon/whatever subreddit. My username is verinio.

I will definetly play black and white 1. The graphics are really shit and I kinda like the citybuilding aspect of 2 more.

God, why can't they just make games like this anymore?

reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/48c7bc/amd_radeon_software_crimson_how_can_i_deactivate/?st=j2544fpz&sh=303ca42b

Here I just searched and found it for you.

Have fun.

Gaming college courses are training dipshits to replace company devs, along with them hiring pajeets, women and beaners on visas for cheap.

Liberal, progressive dipshits.

You don't even need a degree to make good video games.

Move aside, plebs.

Why does Peter Molyneux make Godus instead of a worthy succesor of Black and White 2?

I mean he is old-school, he made industry-defining games. He made classics like Dungeon Keeper and Popolous.

What's wrong with HIM?

His spirit was crushed by microsoft.

Well that's the thing, college has been a progressive ponzi scheme since the 60's. It's another disease of the market.

Thanks, it sounds exactly like my issue, so I'll try that solution

Peter isn't Bullfrog, Bullfrog made those games.

Not the market, government.

At what point should we start blaming him?

I don't even know if he's the George Lucas of the gaming world and the success of his old games was due to other people, who are just not known.

like that, exactly

say "thanks daddy"

fuck you, you could have at least kept my thread alive

do you maybe wanna post about your progress in black and white 2?

Chill, the board isn't that fast, it's only been 2 hours.
Went to do some other chores and only a while ago did I reinstall and try that fix, it seems to work so far, no epileptic textures or models popping in-and-out so I guess that's as good as fixed.
Time to make a monkey pet and have him fling his shit around.

I was telling a friend about B&W1 a couple of days ago. They really don't make crazy games like that anymore. It's pretty sad that we might never see creature AI this good again.

you are forgiven if you say "thank you for the fix, daddy"

Really need to play this again, but the backlog is fucking me up, being a Lawfag with a giant turtle was fun.

Peter Molyneux can't even prove that he isn't just an ideas guy with Godus, the dream is dead.

God this game looks like total garbage, glad I never had shit taste like the rest of you plebs

stopped reading there

That's because you don't have taste and just likes to play the contrarian role while buying and playing hot garbage like cod.

Where can I get BW2? does it run on modern systems?

Stay butthurt fags

Tropico is good fun, the first two games are the only ones with actual difficulty though.

I though I'd never see the day
I fucking love these games, the atmosphere they convey is unreal.

why do you have a clickable name with an underlined name then?

Neutral = best

You know what bothers me though? When you're evil and all your landscape gets turned into lava, everything looks ugly. Everything is the same terrain type then. If you're good and neutral you have some diversity.

Really a bummer that the evil route objectivally makes your whole area look like shit, because it all gets turned into one texture.

Man, I really wanted to like that game but limited ore really screws it for me.

You have ore rocks around that you can use for a quick boost and then you have mines where you can send miners. Thing is, they run out eventually!
There's a single exception in the tutorial but that shit really pisses me off. Ever tried to go full military style?
If you happen to lose your army in a fight, good luck rebuilding it after you spent all your ore that you also use for some buildings.

This really made no sense to me as both Food and Wood are infinite resources, gathered in the same way and you can spam wooden houses to win "diplomatically" if you want.

I also wanted something more interesting with the standard base building other games give you, diseases for spending too long on the mines, hospitals to care for them, tax collection, actual culture with theaters and the like.
It was comfy but flawed.

I also prefered the pet from 2 simply because you could actually see it's stats and what you were training instead of being this mystical thing where you didn't even knew if what you were doing had any effect on it.

How does someone as new as you even know about namefagging?

The game probably just crashes.

you are using an emai right?

same with fable

I have never lost fable either. Fable 2 and 3 makes dying impossible, because you just come back with less experience. But I think even Fable 3 did away with that and you just get scars? Not sure.

Build a few smelters for unlimited ore, noob.

yeah and it's very much possible if you build smelters, dude

They can refine ore and they can also refine ore that is already refined.

I never had problems of running out of ore, because I never used it all up so my smelter could always give me more.

Same with grain silos. If you don't build them, you can't do stuff like making 35% of your entire population into soldiers.

lets get some caesar 3 in here and finish the trifecta of almost the same fucking game with a different coat of paint. on that note i really hated pedestrian pathing in these game or lack thereof where at every crossroad they pick a random direction to go
"time to go work across the street, lets spin in circles and where im pointing when i stop is where ill go"

one of the things that bums me out from BnW 2 was the promise of being able to create weapons/armor for creatures to wield in battle. Too bad it was another Peter Molyneux promise on that.

That was actually one of the best points in SimCity Societies, people on the street actually did things, had a routine, visited places, etc.
Too bad it failed with a lot of other things, but otherwise it was a neat idea.

Part of the reason it's so comfy is that you don't have to build on some unnatural, flat grid like 99% of city builders.

God I just got reminded of how shitty the throwing mini-challenges are, it requires some millimetrical-precision movement of your mouse, else you overshoot, or just drop it in front of your hand.

well of course, because you can throw items any direction you want with different amounts or range

OF COURSE YOU CAN NOT ONLY HIT WHAT YOU INTEND TO HIT, BUT ALSO EVERYTHING AROUND IT

How fucking boring would the throwing mechanic be if you would always throw things the same amount of distance? Do you want to give it a crosshair as well?

there is some sort of issue on your side

That never happened to me.

B&W2 was trash. God games need a comeback but jesus fucking christ if some dev even for a second thinks of modelling their new game off B&W2 because of OP's reddit-tier nostalgiafaggotry then there is no hope left for man.

wat

the AI is not retarded, it doesn't exist

the only AI that is functional is the army AI

it was good enough in the German version

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU!

If you only want to play the same trash and never play truly innovate new gameplay mechanics than just replay old titles, you fucking retard.

Black and White 2 is a relatively basic citybuilder but more fun than a lot of the "pure ones" who autistically force you to maximize efficency, instead of actually encouraging you to create an aesthetic city.

It's more than just innacurate, a very minimal difference in how much I move the hand can mean throwing it from across 1/5th of the map or just a couple meters in front of me. It's easier to calculate with miracles and rocks, but the barrels from this particular challenge just don't like having consisten physics.

Are you sure it's not a DPI issue? I don't recall ever having this problem.

Used to have the same issue back in the day with a ball Mitsumi mouse.

what has Holla Forums come to?

My guess is that it's tied to the acceleration of the hand, rather than the distance it travels, but the movements have to be so precise, because if you go just a little bit too fast it gets propelled into oblivion, teensy bit too slow and it moves a more reasonable (yet insufficient for the challenge) distance. It only occurs with lighter objects though, like I said, miracles and boulders still behave with reasonable predictability.
I ended up getting the challenge in the end, waited until I had increased the range of my influence border so I could throw it from a better position/angle.

Playing Black and White with Holla Forums sounds fun. Literal shit flinging, and dick moves using creatures all around, good times.

Being OP makes you a fag, newfag.

Also, speaking of god games.

Holla Forums has come to their senses? Fucking fag, Minecraft creative mode was a better God game than this nostalgia-faggotry. MINECRAFT

Fuck off microsoft. You couldn't be more obvious.

you lot don't even know about Settlers

Peter Molyjew pls go

I pirated B&W2 once. Absolute garbage game.

Wait really? All I remember from Black and White 1 was: CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, CRASH, oh by the way saving doesn't work so you keep starting from the beginning each time, CRASH CRASH, CRASH CRASH

Until this user posted this video. I remember this now, and it was great.

We're never getting B&W3, are we? Best we can hope is some indie aping it but then it won't be the same most likely.

>tfw God games are dead and Spore killed them.

best feel

stopped playing after that one timed misson tho

this comment was so gay, I almost felt like this user opened my pants and fondled my crotch

believe me mate, I had a sort of love-hate relationship with him, but when I took a step back and looked at what he created, he really makes innovative games unlike any others

FFS He created the God Game Genre. The most popular games in that genre are all his creation. After Popolous, Black and White and Dungeon Keeper you see people reaching to include very simplistic puzzle games like From Dust or Indy Stuff like Reus.

I am going to rape you

Oh right, Spore is the only other major God Game I can think of right now.

But honestly I don't like it.

I just have to ask, did anyone here actually teach their pet AI anything useful or helpful or surprising?

Yeah
I always taught my Monkey to shit on fields and Farmers.

I teached him to dance with enemy villagers and convince them to migrate to my city.

And then fling poo at them during their journey.

Yeah, my good pets usually learn that watering fields is helpful. They almost always start dancing with the villagers to boost their morale as well.

Evil ones are the trouble makers, you gotta fuck them off to the enemy village and then they are useful with the fireballs and stuff.

I taught my pet to eat people because it's cheaper and nutritious. I also taught it to cast Lightning at enemies and to bust their buildings or attack their armies.
I'd often be warned about an invasion by a loud roar has my pet was having it's breakfast and it even got to be a problem since he just wouldn't stop breaking shit in other's villages.

The best time was probably when I taught it to be a dick instead, shitting on other people's houses (but not mine, that's possible) and to throw random objects around.

I kinda wished the villages did more of their own thing so you weren't so dependant on them and felt like having your pet eat a few was actually screwing with you.

Bamo