solarus-games.org/
beta.unity3d.com/download/a2454d41e248/public_download.html
beta.unity3d.com/download/8bc04e1c171e/public_download.html
forum.unity3d.com/forums/linux-editor.93/
patreon.com/CloudMeadow
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

application dev > game dev

Prove it, nigger.

Still working on my gynoid sculpture, the helmet is done, following the advice of a fellow artist I refined the lips a little more, now I have to come up with one or more style of paint jobs to make her look sexy-creepy (at least for this head), any suggestions?

I know my topology sucks, also, ignore the polycount, it is using the total count including the base body I am using.

BTW, I am thinking of making some small parts for the head just in case, you know, ear cylinders and those kind of stuff, feel free to suggest any of those too.

If you want the clang audience, model a head that has no mouth.

those lips look really hot indeed, nice

Any reason UE4 won't let me call a C++-declared BlueprintImplementableEvent on a BP that inherits from said class from another BP?

Basically I got
UFUNCTION(BlueprintImplementableEvent, Category = "Attack|Events")void AnimNotify_Attack(bool bAttackBegun);
in Creature_Masterclass.h, and then PlayerCharacter_BP that inherits from said class. Now I can place and use the AnimNotify_Attack event inside PlayerCharacter_BP no problem, however when I try to call if from the animation blueprint, it won't show up. I cast the reference to PlayerCharacter_BP and ACreature_Masterclass, no dice. Only way it shows up is if I disable context sensitivity in the BP menu and then put the node down, but that will attempt to call it on itself, which obviously won't work and isn't what I want even if it did.

Should I just use BP Interfaces?

yes… YES

Haven't posted in a while. JRPGs are one hell of a drug.

Anyways, I think I have a good variety of enemy parameters. Might add one or two more later.

what engine do you recomend to make a digimon world 4 clone?

extra points: linux

Now that is a mouth I want to kiss tenderly.

New Speebot mechanic!

This turned out to be WAY more fun than I expected.

that's looking pretty fun user

Looks like I am on the right track then.

Not exactly the clang audience, more like the "this moaning expressionless thing gives me a weird boner" kind of audience.

YES YES YES

Items, inventory and equipment have been implemented into the game. All that's left now is to add more of them and implement their use. I've been thinking about a tier system for equipment and weapons based on material, something like this:
rusty > copper > bronze > iron > steel
my problem is that I need more materials, ideally 10 in total, but I've completely ran out of ideas. Does anyone here have any suggestion?

that should be
rusty < copper < bronze < iron < steel, not the other way around

Why don't you ask in the unreal forums that are specifically dedicated to answer questions about that sort of thing? :^)

The white outline around the item is still too THICC.

Wood, stone, glass, bone, ceramic

ahem

rusty < copper < bronze = iron < steel

what a nerd

I should've specified, but I need materials that will be better than the current top tier. I might add bone to my list though.

do you have any source on that? I'd love learn more about it.

Better than steel? Just make up some fantasy shit. Special metals, materials from mythological animals, bound spirits, small bits of concepts.

Looks good man.

How about Damascus Steel?

I thought iron was worse than Bronze. I remember a lindybeige video where he talked about how they casted swords, and if they did it with iron it would just shatter like glass.

This might be a really off topic question, but how do you do text? I tried looking it up for OpenGL and the answer was "Either use a gigantic pain in the ass method or use a library"

I generate a bitmap font using a third party utility (lots of them online), which I then parse in my engine. A single bitmap font consists of an image with all the characters on it, and a text file, which describes the width/height/kerning of each character. Each text field is a separate mesh, the geometry is generated whenever text changes.

It's pretty straightforward and AFAIK the most performant way to render text. Not something I'd use a library for.

It's not a pain in the ass to do, but you might be thinking of dealing with font files directly, in which case it probably is.

So what, do you have a drawable texture per text box quad or what?

Pissing on floating blocks is my favorite subgenre.

No, I only use one texture that has all the characters in them…

In my text field each character is a quad. For example, a text field displaying "Hey" would consist of 3 quads. I compute the geometry on CPU once and store that in buffer until the text changes. One text field takes one draw call to render. The UV coordinates of each vertex can be computed based on the coordinates and width/height of the required character in the bitmap font's data file. Sometimes, depending on the file format, the bitmap font's data file already contains UV-ready values for each character.

Faerie Slavedriv- I mean management system is progressing well, you can now make and destroy rooms

Now implementing the effects of each room/job

Titanium < Damascus (it was a special kind of steel)
And if you want some fantasy stuff in
Mithril < Orichalcum < Adamantium

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I've good a fairly good idea of where I'm going now. One last question though, where would you place silver on

I've been thinking of adding it as a fairly low tier material that would deal extra damage against some supernatural enemies, but I'm not sure on how it would compare to other materials.

silver would be weaker than bronze, so unless its magical you shouldn't use it for weapons

A lot of this information is online, you just need to do your research. Silver is worse than copper.

This is correct, iron is softer than bronze, but it overtook bronze because it was easier to find and process into something usable.

Using Vickers hardness test
Bronze: 60–258
Iron: 30–80

I want to play finished amateur video games. OR If someone wants to throw their unfinished project on this thread for me to play go for it.

No feedback or critique will be provided, you're pretty much throwing it into a black hole.

I made a story for my rpg.

Games are meant to be played for the story so thanks for saving me the effort ;^)

mother says "hey dnt rape your sisters kay. not like they got any other dick to ride"
cycle breaks
credits roll

I rate it an edgy/10, would not enter your magical realm.

You're missing

Item tiers, melee weapons and armor are in, and they now actually affect combat. Everything is now completely unbalanced but at least it's working properly.

I fucking hate you

Any particular reason?

I want to be your friend

What about me? Can I have a friend?

sure

stone < copper < bronze < iron < steel < mithril < orichalcum < adamantium < obsidian < meteorite
Also add some special in between shit with special effects, like silver weapons that are weaker than iron but good against undead and werewolf, or bone weapons that have low physical damage but high magical properties.

joj

Lost. Please tell me which shitty place you got this from, because i need more for cringe and giggles.

Usually contains iron and if it contains something better its highly impure.
You could make steel more easily from iron than you could make something usefull from meteorite.

but dude
videogames terraria lmao

You need to add BlueprintCallable and make sure it's public.

BlueprintImplementableEvent just means that the functionality is provided by the blueprinted class.
BlueprintCallable means that it will be exposed as a node you can place in Blueprint graphs.
Then there is BlueprintNativeEvent which works like BlueprintImplementableEvent, but allows you to specify a default implementation in C++ that is used when your Blueprint class does not provide a custom one.

Now that's the kind of gynoid I can get behind.

Seconding this. A metallic look like Pepsiwoman or Sorayama's robots could be interesting.

>adamantium < obsidian
Please look up what obsidian is and stop basing it on minecraft.

I prefer my clang to either have eyes with no mouth or be completely faceless. Mouths look ugly as shit.
By all means, do what you wanna do, I'm just rambling about my preferences.
Make the mouth look more like apart of the head itself. Currently it looks like a person wearing a dumb helmet rather than a gynoid.

I already forgot, what engine are you using?

One he built himself.

Oh, you fucker.

lel

Your hate only makes me stronger

Well i gotta admit, the first hit of an obsidian blade would be deadly, but a single hit is all you get from it

You know meteorites are made of normal stuff right? like carbon and iron and shit

Better but your topology is still ass, I could have sworn you said you knew how to model, or do you only know how to connect the dots? too many tris fam, you don't need anywhere near as much as you are using.

I'm going to enjoy this.

That's one of the many possible looks I would try to partially recreate.

Is not full clang.

I always try to reduce more as I go along, but I am pretty sure nothing I make will be to your liking, is a miracle you gave me a useful hint this time around.

You mean it's only half-robot, like Haydee?

Neither, full clang would be full mechanical look, the fact that Haydee is half human doesn't make sense to me, in this case my gynoid is supposed to progressively get more human like or more clang depending on what the user goes for, right now I am going to the middle point, but for all intents and purposes is not human at all.

Let's just say my premise is the following, in the near future gynoids are a thing, still far from perfect but good enough for certain people, some may embrace the clang while others try to get a more human-like companion, part of the art direction in my little project is just a small degree of customization, still, the middle point between clang and human-like is supposed to be kind of unsettling, yet alluring.

I gave you a useful hint the first time, the topology is shit and here's a good reference for basic facial topology, loops and poles are important, have you considered that the mask even if it is the face on your model needs to look like it's sitting on top of the face, I get the feeling that her cheeks are kind of flat and that her face doesn't round off naturally, do you have a high detail face you are using for proportional reference? Look at how unevenly spaced the quads around her mouth are, I'm sure you can rerout some to avoid that ugly topology around her chin.

I think you can do a better job.

You're going to have fun modelling her pleasure receptacle, the topology there, much harder, less reference.

Does unity have a way to check if the input received was short or long?

I'm trying to get my character to turn to a direction he wasn't facing without moving and can't seem to find a way to do it.

just check how long you were holding down the button

You only move in the direction you're facing (with some tolerance). First you rotate the player toward the input direction a bit, then you move.

Rotate player toward input directionif (player is nearly aligned with input) move

I tried this, very bad.
Unfortunately my camera works like, say, Mario Sunshine, where if the character runs to the right or left they rotate around the camera. That means that when running sideways the direction they're facing is almost never the direction the stick is pointed at.

I also don't think Unity can keep up with the calculations which results in a lot of weird skidding and lagging

Trying to do this, but all the Time functions can't be reset.
I might need to make a way to count time I can reset myself I guess?

You wait for the player's body to be facing the direction of your input vector, not the camera.

That's a bold claim.

...private float startTime = 0.0f;private void Update() { if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Space)) { startTime = Time.time; } Debug.LogFormat("{0} seconds have passed since you pressed space the last time.', Time.time - startTime);}...

just add deltaTime to a float until it passes 0.5 or whatever
are you stupid

Yeah I know, the problem is that the character never faces the input vector if he runs to the right or left, he's constantly rotating.

It's not, I just tried. It fucks up my movement real bad

Yeah I forgot about this and tried it.
Dunno it feels weird to play, still a lot of lagging once the input stops.

The two vectors on top of the character in the scene view are the forward vector and the direction of the input

They are out of sync. One of the vectors gets updated after the other is processed. You need to know when to use which:
and

It depends on how you set your character and his movement up.

They're not, they're all in the same function.
that's how it's supposed to work.

Okay, now I'm confused. Can you explain what
My brain doesn't really function right now. I'm tired.

Basically, as of now, even if I press the movement stick for a second, the character will start moving in that direction while rotating. Which is not good.

What I want is that if I press the stick for a very short amount of time, he'll rotate in that direction but not start running.

Who cares, it's a fantasy world with kobolds and shit, obviously the composition of these materials is different than in real life. Let's just say obsidian is some mixture of vulcanic stone and strong deep earth metals, while meteorite contains even stronger and unknown metals from space or something. I mean mithil, orichalcum and adamantium doesn't really exist either, so there is no problem with bullshitting more.

Good luck selling the game to geologists
You're shooting yourself in the foot here, you're gonna make a lot of people VERY mad

Then you want to do what said. If it's not working well it's more likely down to your implementation.

Then the solution is exactly what I posted in . The keys are that you only move when the player's model is more or less aligned with the input vector (dot product) and that you rotate gradually. If it takes one whole second to turn around and you release the stick in under a second, the player will stop turning before he got a chance to do his first step.

sure buddy like people got so mad at minecraft for using non existent metals and meteorite for crafting
and of course every geologist needs to have perfectly accurate everything to enjoy a game right.

Then just give the character a vector LastInput that it always rotates towards?

Nigger I was joking

Oke, I'll try again then

Make the turn rate absurdly slow for testing. Then you can reliably test, if it works properly.

Damn, you're right. Totally forgot it's current year and everyone on tumblr wants realistic games now.

Basic paint job for now, I will have to heavily work on it I guess, any other suggested paint jobs and maybe artifacts for the helmet are welcome.

I'm getting some bootleg Power Rangers vibes from this.

Unity is also an absolute nigger when it comes to button imput, your problem might lie with the fact that you're using update() instead of fixedupdate() or the other way around. I had to put all my button inputs into update(), while vector/character movement and rotation into fixedupdate(), because otherwise the buttons weren't recognized correctly, or the movement was jaggy or any another problem. Keep that in mind.

is this a Super Sentai/Power Ranger?

I am currently using Fixedupdate for both vectors and movement.
I'll try this out, thanks.

I liked better. Make it a skin? It can be more subtle if you want.

It's not a workaround. That's what you were supposed to do in the first place.
You read your input in Update(), not FixedUpdate(). You may react to input in FixedUpdate(), but you still read it in Update(). In that case you need to store it.

Kind of, yeah, sometimes I was browsing some Japanese pr0n and was curious about some female "ranger" stuff, sadly what I was looking after was never there, you see, in every video the girl was always naked in the end, including the helmet which on the covers always gave me this whyboner I am trying to channel onto my project, the idea of an artificial face with no expressions in a sexually charged situation.

Why not have her body suit be tight latex then; tight enough that you wouldnt need to remove it?

that is of course, if she is human

hue

That's just another option, I am still planning to do some other different takes on the sentai helmet.

I guess so, but Unity devs barely point that out. They don't even do this in the examples i know of, i only came to the idea of putting movement into fixedupdate(), when i stumbled over the small update() tutorial, which is probably the only place where they shortly mention fixedupdate(). I mean for such an important thing they should stress it out way more.

Docs are your friend
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html

Yeah, I also fell into that trap. It does make sense, if you understand how the physics engine ties into your game's main loop though.

transform.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp (transform.rotation, Quaternion.LookRotation (movementRotation), rotationSpeed);

In this movementRotation is a Vector3 created with hotizontal and vertical axis values.

What's the best way to keep the Vector3 at the last input values before it goes to zero? right now it only updates when the character is moving so that the vector doesn't reset, but I don't think that's gonna work with other stuff I want to do

You're not a native English speaker, are you user? I understand those words, but still have no fucking clue of what you're trying to say.

I'm not, no.

I don't think it's that, it's just that I can't explain what my code does well in words. Oh well

You know, this is actually kinda fun.

Okay, let's try the analytical approach.
transform.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp (transform.rotation, Quaternion.LookRotation (movementRotation), rotationSpeed);
Fair enough.
What's the best way to keep which Vector3? at the last input values before what? goes to zero?
right now what? only updates when the character is moving so that which vector? doesn't reset to what?

I think he is saying that he wants to keep the vector that he is going to use in the quaternion at the last non-zero value it had but still wants to update it when it changes.
He also mentiones that he changed it to only write to the variable when the character is moving to solve this but he also believes that there are cases where this method will miss a change in value so he is asking if anyone knows a better way.

At least thats what I think he is trying to say

movementRotation
Once the axis values go to zero (when the character isn't moving), movementRotation becomes Vector3(0,0,0), breaking the rotation script and resetting the rotation of the character.

The line of code only updates when the character is moving, so that movementRotation doesn't become Vector3(0,0,0), and doesn't reset the rotation of the character to what it was originally.

I'll probably reach that point soon, because I have no idea how to organize my code.

This user gets it

it's only a matter of time
quit while you're ahead

I gotta try.

Alright nevermind, I got it.
Not sure if it's good code but it works.

I know.

World 2 is halfway done…

I'm aiming to create a Greenlight page for Speebot in a week or two. If I keep up the pace the game will likely be finished in a couple of months. Hopefully I can finish the game before I burn out.

Does analog stick handle better yet, you punk?

I-I see. It's not l-like I wanted to h-help you anyway, user.

// Make sure that TargetAlign and CurrentAlign are always unit-vectors!// Initialize in Start()!private Vector3 TargetAlign;private boolean IsRotating = false;private void Update() { // Check if we're supposed to rotate if (IsRotating) { // Rotate toward TargetAlign UpdateAlignment(TargetAlign); // Check if we can stop rotating // Tolerance should be somewhere between 0.0f and 1.0f if (IsAligned(TargetAlign)) { IsRotating = false; } } // Check for input if (xInput + yInput != 0.0f) { // Initiate a rotation IsRotating = true; if (IsAligned(TargetAlign)) { // Move character } else { // Finishes the alignment while character moves UpdateAlignment(TargetAlign); } }}private bool IsAligned(Vector3 Alignment, float Tolerance = 0.01f) { return Mathf.Abs(Vector3.Dot(Alignment, CurrentAlign))

I'm sorry user didn't mean to make you work for nothing
I'll try it out and see if it's better than what I have

It's okay. As I said, I haven't even tested it. Just opened Notepad and typed away.

If I were to replace a model for my main player character, would I really have to remake the whole Animator thing from scratch?

Or is there some way to change the animations and leave the transitions as they already are?

just use the same skeleton/avatar

On my to-do list

user, you give me hope in life.

looking good so far.

where's the ice

Here you go, user.

That hook looks like it feels great to use. In fact, the momentum of everything looks pretty spot-on, and I'm picky as fuck out things like that.

Yes and yes.
You can re-use the skeleton, but state machines aren't tied to avatars either in case you need to change the skeleton. Just change the animations in the states, and you're done.

they're tied to the animations that are tied to the avatars
if you're using the same skeleton, you don't need to do anything other than reuse the avatar that the animations are using

Yes, if user just imports the modified skeleton as the same avatar asset, and exports the animations again with the same skeleton, things should work with no modifications.
The real problem is having to remake the player prefab because it's not going to contain any bones you might have added. It's not hard, but it's tedious.

Guess I should give this devving thing a crack.
Let's see how long it'll take for the horrible depression, desire to give up and the general feeling of hopelessness to kick in.

Is there any way to change the animation speed to a variable?
Seems like it should be a pretty important feature

I'm fucking gay, nevermind

i'm pretty sure there was an option to multiply a state's speed with a variable
should show up if you select a state
but i'm not sure if it was only for regular animations or for blendtrees as well

Yeah you can select it from the base layer, it doesn't appear in the blend trees themselves

Why you do this?

Maybe you need Gayaway

It's fucking nothing.

How autistic is it of me to use the characters and plot of my game as basically a blog, a way to talk shit about everyone and everything in my life?

Faeries now lay eggs if there is enough food and housing
Most passive effects of job rooms have been implemented, now to implement special events

if its fun no one will care

My diagonal speed is faster than it should be.
What's the best way to fix that without normalising?

Using Unity

learn 12th grade geometry

Trigonometry nigga

what kind of nigger school did you go to?
try seventh fucking grade.

we only do math up to trigonometry in school, vectors/matrices were in 12th grade just because we're gonna need them later in university

Pretty sure running both a sin and cos function is slower than running a single normalize one, not that it'd even matter in any normal situation, so I see no good reason to not use normalize in the first place.

I've never learned this in school.
Can you point me in the right direction? What exactly should I follow?

Normalize means that my character only has two speeds. Stopped and really fast.

basically this.
apparently i don't remember it as well as i thought i did

v3.normalized() * current_speed

Every time I leave this thread to look at the rest of the board it feels like the cancer is at least 2x stronger than I remembered.

Don't you have to use sin and cos to normalize if your direction vector changes?

I know this, but I still have no idea how to make it into a Vector3 value

This doesn't exist

why do you even need sin and cos
if this is a game we're talking about, he should have the forward and right vector relative to his character
diagonal=(forward+right).normalized*speed;
or diagonal=((forward+right)/((forward+right).distance))*speed

Is it my thread that gave you cancer?

That's what you get for relying on school for your education.

That's what I'm trying to fix now

I still can't use diagonal in any of my movement though

user, are you mentally challenged
what are you not understanding
movement=curposition+direction
where direction=forward*forwardinput+right*rightinput
now if you want to be going slower/faster diagonally you're gonna need to check what the inputs are to know when to multiply the forward/right vectors

Pseudocode:
float norm = abs(Input.x) + abs(Input.y) > 1 ? 1 : Input.Length();x += (Input.x / norm) * speed;y += (Input.y / norm) * speed;
Assuming Input is a vector2 that ranges from -1 to 1 on both axes.

Should be < 1, not > 1. I am off to bed.

What's this supposed to be for?

I need two numbers to feed directly into the Vector3 to apply to the velocity of the object.
I can't use a single number

I guess it depends on what you're doing rotations with.

Like in an RTS generally the units can only be rotated on one axis. So giving each and every one of them their own rotation matrix would be a waste. Even a quaternion seems like it'd be a waste to.

what

What do you think Normalize does? It just returns Vector / Vector.Length();

Normalized vector = vector / its length. It scales everything so the length is 1.

But then this brings me back to the initial problem where using .normalized meant that I couldn't do any speeds inbetween -1 and 1

Or no? I'm sorry I'm getting really confused

nigga multiply the vector

Not with my pseudocode, no. Read the first line really carefully, it sets norm to the length only if the length is greater than 1, otherwise it sets norm to 1. And dividing something by 1 means you don't divide it at all. So it only normalizes input vectors that are too long.

Fuck, made another mistake. Fixed pseudocode:
float norm = abs(Input.x * Input.x) + abs(Input.y * Input.y) < 1 ? 1 : Input.Length();x += (Input.x / norm) * speed;y += (Input.y / norm) * speed;

I still have absolutely no clue what to replace Input.Length with
Assuming Input.X and Input.Y are my controller axis, neither of them have a length parameter

nigga calculate it
VectorN.Length=Sqrt(x1^2+x2^2+x3^2…+xn^2)
or in this case
Input.length=Sqrt(Input.x^2+Input.y^2)

Seriously, go watch already.

It kind of worked.
Instead of having a massive difference I have a difference of about 0.4 m/s between my speeds

On second inspection it didn't work at all
welp

how are you possibly fucking this up

I wish I knew, this seems like what you're doing in your code
float norm = Mathf.Abs(moveHorizontal * moveHorizontal) + Mathf.Abs(moveVertical * moveVertical) < 1 ? 1 : Mathf.Sqrt (Mathf.Pow(moveHorizontal, 2) + Mathf.Pow(moveVertical, 2)); moveHorizontal += (moveHorizontal / norm) * speed; moveVertical += (moveVertical / norm) * speed; movementRotation = new Vector3 (moveHorizontal, 0.0f, moveVertical); rb.velocity = movementRotation;

Maybe I'm tired, maybe I'm just fucking gay
I don't know anymore

That's 1077 chapters in? Looks like I was right to drop that series.

you're not supposed to multiply them,
and even if you did, why would you put Abs in there, -1*-1 is positive you dumb nigger

You wrote this
what do I change it to

no wait, i'm dumb you do need to multiply them for whatever reason
i still don't see any point in the Abs though, they're positive no matter what

where the fuck is your forward/right vector
i'm only seeing numbers

That wasn't you, nevermind

This is my vector the values are getting fed into
movementRotation = new Vector3 (moveHorizontal, 0.0f, moveVertical);

alright
assume you have Forward=(0,0,1) or whatever the forward vector of your character is depending on his rotation
similarly we have Right=(1,0,0) or relative to the rotation
we also have Input.Vertical (float) and Input.Horizontal to know whether we're going forward/backward or left/right
so
Direction=Forward*Input.Vertical+Right*Input.Horizontal;
transform.position+=Direction*Time.deltaTime*speed; //assuming that you're doing this every frame

now if you want to mess with the speed of certain directions
Direction=Forward*Input.Vertical*ForwardMultiplier+Right*Input.Horizontal*RightMultiplier;

if you only want to change diagonal speed:
if(abs(input.horizontal)>0&&abs(input.vertical)>0)
{
direction*=diagonalmultiplier;
}

No see you're assuming I'm using transform position to move my character.
I'm moving it by changing the velocity of its rigidbody, whch only takes one Vector3 value.

I can't use any of this

I found a temporary solution btw, I'll come back to this tomorrow. Thanks for helping user

how about you move it correctly, you little shit

I dunno man that fucks up a whole lot of other things, changing velocity is the best way

docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Vector3.ClampMagnitude.html
ClampMagnitude is similar to normalising, but only does it if it exceeds a certain magnitude, so it can be below the distanceFloat but never beyond it. Very useful for analog controlls too.
Unity can do a lot of useful functions/calculations for niggers who can't into math.

var Speed
var diagSpeed = Speed - (Speed / 3)

vector3(diagSpeed, diagSpeed, 0)

I don't use Unity, but I guess you could adjust it to it.

that fucking picture man

Hey fagmotron, still waiting for that round ground circle shadow

Here's another meme game from imgur

http:// imgur.com/gallery/VJnHXzn

Isn't the background here the one the UE4 team uses to show off fancy shaders and stuff?

the joy of free open source assets, once you make one good one it ends literally everywhere

In this case you would need
instead of
But whatever, just use
I don't know shit about Unity, so didn't know they had a function for it.

Here's the sword, textured and in engine. I still haven't figured out a good name for it, I can't just call it GC Sword.

Aside from that, next on the list is a sub-machine gun. If anyone has any good suggestions I'm open.

A little smoothing on the hilt edges and that's it I guess, the blade is a little too thin for my personal taste, looks like a mix between a gun and a ninjatto.

Call it rootie tootie stab'n'shootie assuming it's a gunsword from that hilt

wait the first one is godot engine?

What's the best method for dealing with 1 axis for rotation and direction vectors? I was thinking of reading up quaternions again just to avoid trig functions but it seems like it's unavoidable.

I added a bevel and widened the blade ever so slightly. The bevel really helps a lot thanks.

GC is a gun company, but this sword ain't doin' no shooty.

you can get around that using simple tricks

godotengine.org/article/godots-new-renderer-progress-report-3

Way better, just do some smoothing on the bevel part via texturing and it will look quite smooth.

What are you looking for in terms of a sub-machine gun?
Easily one handed or dual wieldable?
Calibre?
Compact or meaty?
Era?

like?

I fiddled with the normals of the mesh instead.

Doesn't matter. The player is going to be able to one hand it regardless of real world feasibility.
Preferably higher than 9mm.
Doesn't matter.
Modern. I want the option of spawning it with or without a holographic site.

nice

Better.

Sculpted some rocky terrain, baking to a texture now. Anyone know if it's possible to set a height map's height to something higher than 0.8? (In Unity)

The value stored in the texture is generally RGBA (8bit in this case, could also be R, RG, etc), so 0-255 is the actual value that's stored.
However, when you sample/convert it to the heightmap format (in Unity) it's in a range from 0 to 1; thus you can use the output to convert it to any range you want (output *= scale… thus scaled output).
Also… you can of course use any simple formula you want to store your heightmap values you want that falls within that 0-255 range (blit to a texture, save tex, use your custom formula for getting values).
e.g. the actual method of converting to/from, thus have "inverse of function"*, the RGBA format to your desired value can be anything you want.

So… CPU side you'd use sample pixel then apply your custom simple formula, or GPU side you'd use the UV coors to get the pixel and do the same.
The easiest solution is best here, just sample, and scale.

professional quality, nice

also, slight correction to avoid confusion:
>The easiest solution is best here though, just sample, and scale.

I meant that the multiplier for height in the standard shader only goes up to 0.8.
I'll get to writing my own shader code sooner or later, but I wanted a temporary way to show my assets in game while I work on other stuff.

Rock looks really pretty when shiny.

what's the total range (actual min/max)?
Also for clarities sake that's .08, not .8, which isn't good (a range from 0 to .8 would be acceptable imo)… it should go from 0 to 1 in total.
I generally bake my own shaders so yeah not sure on the default shader's setup.
It could be that they're setting the min/max manually for the heightmap with clamp, or it's your stored format, and the conversion formula from RGBA to the heightmap range is only getting min to .08 (f.e. val/255 for converting to the heightmap value, your heightest value being 20.4… e.g. 20.4/255 = .08, thus to fix set your heightmap ranges when exporting to be from 0 to 255), etc).

slight autism correction
well it would be bits… so 20 would be the value stored… so ~.08

Sorry, my bad, it is 0.08.
I hope I'm understanding the terminology right, but the max range i set in xNormal was -12 to 12.

ah ok gotcha, try to set the range of values to 0 to 255 in xNormal when baking the heightmap texture, and check the min/max in Unity.
The main issue is just having the stored values in the heightmap texture matching the shader's method of extracting those heightmap values (with their simple formula).

Where would I set it to that, exactly? Setting it here is just giving me black.

Ok, first image is a UMP-45, usually chambered in .45 ACP. Second is a P90, chambered in 5.7. Then there's the MP7 and CBJ-MS which are both normally 9mm, but are modern-ish. I suppose you could chamber them in whatever you like with a little poetic license, or just upgraded parts.
If none of these tickle your fancy you could take a gander through modernfirearms.net/smg-e.html

ok, try, -1 to 1, reason being that the output was maxed at .08.
So, what they're probably doing in the shader is:
half res = 1 / sample2D (heightmap); (which is .08, due to being: 1/12 = .08).
So… if u use -1 to 1, it should output a range of -1 to 1; due it being 1 / heightmap value.

if that still doesn't work, copy and paste the shader here (just the first iteration of it).

Here's a few that might fit the bill.

heres something that lends itself for low-poly

the pernach is a full blown submachinegun in pistol size, the other blocky piece of shit is intended for concealed carry and opens like a butterfly knife

Anybody got a good Inverse Kinematics tutorial to suggest?
Unity's surprisingly barebones on explaining how it works.

I don't understand if I can use it together with my animations, if my current skeleton is good to work with automatic foot IK and if I need a script or if it's automatic.

Help?

you didnt post best configuration CBJ

Is that a LMG for poorfags?

nah for sweden. its actually pretty underrated. it's a secret win laser in BF4 that nobody uses cause it looks funny

That thing fires rounds capable of piercing 9mm of armour plate, which means it can pierce APCs (such as BTRs) and make any sort of bodyarmour basically useless.

Download built in shaders for your version.
Copy the standard shader to your assets. Change what you need. Rebuild.
If you want to modify the shader's internals, copy over the includes in this pic as well. The reason why you need all of these is because they often include each other as well, which can make the compiler use the internal includes instead of the ones you have in /Assets/, overriding your changes.
If you modify the inputs in any way, you'll need to clone the StandardShaderGUI and account for them in there.
If you're running deferred, clone the deferred shader and the deferred reflections shader. Put them in the same folder as everything else because they also use the aforementioned includes.
And lastly, if you make any changes to your gbuffer layout, you'll need to modify the effects in your postprocessing stack which use the buffers. (like SSR)

holy shit it's almost a game

Game Maker?

Make the cowboy a transsexual Mexican drug dealer, turn the red squares into ICE officers and publish a kickstarter.

you know attack on titan has a thing like that? also you know a gun handle has fundamental different needs than a sword, right? like when we stooped making swords we where making them for literal millennia you think that we kinda just had it down right?

Yeah, been trying to learn it since last week. It's easier than I expected, since I tried learning it 2 years ago and ended up frustrated.

Naw, setting's gonna be the old west. I already have a pretty decent idea of where I'll take it, but I'm kinda wary of the scope being too big.

I can tell by the default font. See it practically daily in testing variables.

That's pretty funny.
I'm pretty happy with how (relatively) quickly I got the basic stuff down. Hoping I can plug in the animations and tiles I have so far and make a shooting range demo of some sort soon.

half of the fun is figuring it out

in the video you see a cube in the middle of the character right?
this is what is happening
the camera consist of three parts the base which only rotates left and right and the camera which renders and turns up and down and the look_at cube(its actually just a 3d point the cube is for looks)
most of this happens every frame.
the camera matches the player position
the cube zeros its local position
we check for input and construct a vector based on the player input (left right forwards backwards)
apply that vector as local position for the cube, since the cube is child of camera's base it shares the same rotation and thus gives you camera relative movement
get the cube's global position minus the player's global position, this is your direction
now move your character towards your direction
as it is now diagonal movements will make you move faster so normalize your direction then multiply for a speed variable.
if you want to spice it make the speed increase every frame the cube is not zero and decrease it every frame it is. this will give you acceleration and sliding

i'm doing this from memory so some of it may be wrong or incomplete

been working on my pixel art a bit since I last posted

can I get some thoughts on this ak-67 I drew? I'm thinking I made the clip too short.

A UNMISTAKEABLE AYY-KEYYY FOURTHEEN-SEVEN.

you cheeky shit, your gun carrying handle is too tall so you can't see down the crosshairs

huh, guess you're right. I'll have to fix that.

How do you analyze character design in animu.
every tutorial I went to was all about the silhouette and figure shape but anime girls usually have a relative hourglass figure.

Do I study the shapes of the clothes and hair they have? and make individual silhouettes of them?
how do I gain the enlightenment of full autism

Yeah, I'm still considering that feature, but it's possible that I won't do it. Blob shadows would definitely not look good, and I'm not convinced of their usefulness either.

I recognize that someone might have issues with distance perception (and general visibility of the surroundings for that matter), but I alleviate that with careful level design, fixed camera angle, dynamic shadows and water reflections. I've considered all this before I even started designing the actual levels.

I'm still trying to think of a better way to handle this, but got nothing so far. Suggestions are welcome.

Yes. As well as what they hold, like a weapon. That's about all you can work with if the body shape is relatively realistic.

okay made the carry handle a smidge shorter and included the forward masher-majig. I hear it makes it so the bullets fly out faster and kill more effectively. I can't believe these things are legal.

it doesn't have to be a blob shadow.

I don't think you'll be able to go by shape since anime is mostly all the same, unless you do a super deformed One Piece type of design. It would help if you make a layer with horizontal lines so you can get the height just right.

hair clothes and equipment are what will form the silhouette rather than actual body shape

Why do my animations feel slidey?
I've been playing with the speed for hours and I don't think it's that

How do I make them not feel shit?

post webm

These are test animations but they're not that terrible.
I've looked into animations from the Unity Store, and in their previews the animations actually move forward, while mine just kind of stays in place.

Is that the problem?

For one, your torso stays completely motionless which looks like crap. You're missing a lot of secondary motion to make the animation a lot juicier.
As for slideyness, it's really easy to figure out: look at the animation from the side in-game, see where the front foot hits the floor, and make sure it stays at exactly that position until it leaves the ground during the backswing.

It doesn't seem like it'd work for units that don't have cameras like NPCs.

Basically my problem is I could potentially have 1000s of npcs that only can be turned on one axis. Which means you only need to store one float for rotation, the downside being to get the direction vector you have to use trig.

Alright I guess I'll just wait until I get the final animations, try to make them work right and if it's still slidey I'll come back
thanks user

Oh shit son is that a Bone game? Try following an animation guide. The head has way too much movement, unless you're playing thrash metal.

I didn't make the animations, tbh I wasn't sure if it was because they were stiff or because of something else.
Just wanted to be sure.

I just wanted to make games.

let your dreams be dreams

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you didn't say app.

Why does it seem like every existing model that I download to play around with has a million different problems with it that take forever to sort out? Didn't mean to spoiler my image last time.

It's not really that surprising honestly

This model is a rip from Crisis Core. Say what you will about Square's games, but their asset teams are top fucking notch. I'd be surprised if management allowed bullshit like this without there being a reason. Maybe they do something with it in-engine.

Shaders.

It's just an alpha texture.

And tessellation

model and textures are ripped like they are so they're fine, but without the official shader or shaders that emulate the original shaders, it will always look different.

Thank's I appreciate it.

I will look into these. I may end up doing what I did with the shotguns and make more than one. Many of these are different enough I wouldn't just be cloning them.

This sword is running on aesthetic choices more than realism at this point.

What's with all the gay lions?

why didn't any of you fags tell me animating sprites is literally the worst thing ever? This takes fucking eons and i'm not even close to finished.

Not bad, but you need an expression like pic related

Charging handle needs to pull back farther and the bolt looks a little low. Looks solid otherwise, my dude.

the charging handle needs to go further back and needs more frames. The charging handle returning to its point needs less frames, that'll give it a much better sense of weight

Did you ever implement a function you wish it will never have to be triggered?

I made the killFaerie() today…

hum, i think i would just have to play with the eyebrows to achieve that one

The charging handle and bolt need to go further back. Bolt itself also needs to be higher.

I didn't draw it very well… It's like a smug sneer, with the brow muscles contracting upward and inward

Rename it to DestroyEntity(int index)
Problem solved

In my game, you have the option to sleep with the furry.

But if you do, you get a special place in hell at the end.

So you get elevated, special treatment? Good job

Hum, nice idea, getting a hidden bad ending if you bully your faeries too much
But im not sure my game will have an ending, it will be a farm sim, so you can keep playing forever

Hum, maybe i could add "Smug" as a trait and give fairies with such trait a different mouth and eyebrows matching

deep inside you still know what it does

okie dokie, i'll get on that.

Well, it doesn't have to be an ending.
Maybe they just start fearing you. Run away, even, if you're extremely harsh.

Your farm sim should have a bad end where you get rich, have a big and healthy family, a loving wife, and a loyal dog only for the government to come in to burn your lands, take your grain, and have to resort to eating your dog to survive.

Silly user in my game's universe there is no such thing as communism
If i ever add it will be just for lore, in a book about a civilization that disappeared just a decade after adopting a mysterious new ideology, and in the ruins of such civilization you find strange items called "helicopter ride tickets"

Access to the faerie village will probably be cut permanently for the protag, easy to implement

Every time I try to make a game I end up making some kind of procedural generation crap

Yeah, that's why it's not surprising

What are you afraid of, user?

Spending another 10 hours making no progress because I haven't got a clue what I'm doing

Spending those hours will be progress in on itself You'll either create something good or learn what is bad. Also, let go of your fear of failure

Which would be?

Making it fun

Redesigning my graphics methods to work the GPU way (with vertex meshes and shaders instead of just drawing images).

NO PAIN, NO GAIN

World 2, level 36… one of those short but tricky ones.

Welp I guess I am going to use Slade now for map editing, it kinda buggers me that it does not support 3D sectors yet so that I can finally make a multi floor house where even the roof is accessible. It also annoys me that Slade won't let me move objects and sectors at the same time because when one of those sector got slope object on it then I have move it manually.

mfw when I procrastinated several days and I didn't made much progress because the depression overwhelmed again, welp Also as modeller I find it jealous that map editors don't need UV unwrapping at all

Have you shown off your level editor yet? I can't recall seeing it or if you have one.

Most map editors do actually. Everytime you change or scale a shape in the map editor it generates the UV for seamless textures.
You can actually do the same in Blender, it's called cube projection.
You might also want to look up triplanar mapping for whatever engine you use, which is based on world position and often used for things like seamless terrain texturing. Don't kill yourself and your time with outdated map editors.

I have a map editor that I'm using, but the interface is pretty dirty right now. I will redo the UI later and it will be accessible from the main menu.

What would be the optimal engine for a 2D (sprite-based) turn-based RPG? Would Love2D be serviceable?

(checked)
Oh so thats what this thing is for since I never bothered using it since I am stuck with engines that supports only 1 diffuse texturing.
For Skullcrap 3.0? heh I can forget about that already.
Since I am on Loonix I am practically forced to use Slade now which is for me the most current map editor available and Eureka seems to be more geared for Vanilla/Boom styled mapping so meh. I tried to get GZDoom Builder running under wine in several ways but it never worked out for me since it always resulted for that it either did not installed properly or it just spams a error message after another one.

haxeflixel.com/

use a better engine? thus better editors?

oh hah yeah, that sorta cuts your options down… good luck :^)

hmm admittedly I do like prefer a having better editor since I am not really found of having a semi 3D map format which is not really great when I want to do interior mapping as well.

I dont know mayne, Unreal Engine 4 sounds attractive with demn blueprint but they are also heavily owned by the chinks now and other issues such as that it is a bit too bloaty for my taste since it is geared for high-end PCs. If Godot or any other FOSS 3D engine really has something that is similar to decorate I would try toying with the other engine. But for now I am stuck with Skullcrap 3.0

Some decorate examples:
zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Chaingun
zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:HealthBonus
pastebin.com/f6GQ6By6

Use the amazon engine

Amazon Lumberyard doesn't support Linux, so if you want a Linux support on a high-end engine you're better off with regular Cryengine or UE4. Most other 3D engines for Linux are either general purpose scene graphs with few built-in rendering features (since they expect you know how to implement these yourself) or specialized engines designed for very particular genres like RTSes or FPSes.

Doesn't Unity exist for Linux since version 5.3 or something? It's good enough for what you want to do and not as bloated as UE4. Anyways if you want to keep using Skullcrap, why not just build the mainpart/mesh of the level in Blender first, and then add the game logic related things through Slade or Skullcrap 3.0 afterwards? You can build primitive levels really fast in Blender, especially with tools like boolean operation etc. to fuse everything together.

Unity can export games for Linux but the IDE doesn't have a Linux build.
The suggestion would be great if he was using almost any other 3D engine.

I can't even get the first part that well

http:// imgur.com/gallery/Wglws

I see, that sucks. He could pirate Windows 7, but since he is using linux in the first place i doubt he is willing to do that.

Why? If it's a format problem, he can reformat/export/import to the right format with blender addons or other programs, doesn't matter if .mdl .smd .wad .dcm or .qa, a quick google search will even find you a blog/forumpost that shows you how to do it.

You sure? I remember doing some Doom map refomating years ago. Or maybe i am confusing it with later Doom titles or even Quake.

New to programming and gamedev here, I've always wanted to make a game that basically amounts to a Zelda 1 clone and I've suddenly found myself with the free time to be able to take it on. I know a lot of people recomend Python for a first language, but every tutorial and example I've seen of something made in Pygame looks like hot trash, but I'm not sure if that's Pygame itself or what. So my question is basically will I be able to make something that amounts to a polished NES LoZ clone in Pygame or do I need to learn another language?

you mind as well just learn c++ or c#, they're more relevant than python for vidya

Quake or Doom 3 maps can be made in Blender, perhaps you're getting those mixed up.

Why bother when the Solarus engine already exists? You'd just be duplicating effort and getting worse performance in your custom Pygame solution.
solarus-games.org/

Godot basically uses python, it's open source free software, and it's 2d side is pretty well developed with many good tutorials to get you up and running.

WRONG
Version 5.5.3f1: beta.unity3d.com/download/a2454d41e248/public_download.html (released a day later than 5.6.0f3, might be more stable I guess?)
Version 5.6.0f3: beta.unity3d.com/download/8bc04e1c171e/public_download.html

Entire unity forums section about the linux builds: forum.unity3d.com/forums/linux-editor.93/

Okay I have two ideas for a game I could make over the next few days that I have off and I know I won't but that's besides the point

The seams/edges/corners feel the most difficult to handle. Imagine if each face had a tree growing from it, it wouldn't feel as contiguous

The first one sounds like it would take longer than a few days.

Not really. It'd just be cellular automata for a few different things.

I don't know, when I see shit like patreon.com/CloudMeadow I just get depressed, knowing that I try my best, accomplish nothing, earn nothing, and then some scammer blowhard makes 14x what I do by doing nothing

Not just any furshit, but one who failed a previous project and fucked them twice

The price of degeneracy.

Those two are completely different
Team Nimbus gets their money due to popular support from degenerates.
Hitler got rejected by professors and rightfully so as he was a really mediocre artist. Only his architectural works were pretty nice.

He is 100% sure. If I want any interior in this cathedral I need to fiddle around with 3D Sectors which Slade doesn't support at all and something about Portals which I have to check if Slade support that at all. GZDoom Builder has a support for importing .obj which is limited to heightmap slope terrain which is a bit different then the regular 2.5D map format.

The 2 other screenshot is from Unreal 1 map editor which is a proper 3D map format hence all 4 views are available.

the slog of learning programming foundations with c++ is long but sorta fun.
Some of it's really interesting. During other times, feels like my head is getting kicked in by boring minutia.
Just feel like jumping straight into gamdev right away to relieve some of the monotony, but then figure I don't have any solid ideas I want to see or I still don't fully understand what to do at the same time. It's a weird kind of frustration, I guess.

That's bullshit tbh. Germany in Hilters time was a modern equivalent to San Fransisco where modern artists shitting on canvases being "Art".

You're right though, they are 2 different cases I guess it'd be closer to walking simulators in unity and depression quest getting tons of press vs someone on /agdg/ actually coming out with a quality but unrefined game.

If someone from /agdg/ got out a quality but unrefined game and something like depression got more press that would be like if some guy in prison made a painting using toothpaste, stolen paintbrushes, and the pigment you get when you hold skittles in your hands for too long but they didn't get as much recognition as a trust fund kiddo riding their parent's money through art school.

I say that because (1) we have a stigma working against us and (2) we don't have many resources.

Thats a bad analogy. I doubt the SJWs dump much more resources than us. It's more likely they have teams of like 3 people with rich parents money to buy assets. Especially in depression quest's case, because that took 0 resources. They're also notoriously lazy.

It's closer to starving artist of any genre vs trustfund kid in the modern artist clique.

Fair enough.

There is a difference between work done while studying and after graduation. Furthermore back then standard for applying students was much higher than now.

If you were familiar with works artists you show as examples of graduating despite creating shit, you would know that in times of their education they did proper studies. Only after they became skilled painters they started experimenting with those weird and often disgusting styles. In other words they first had to become professionals before doing weird shit. Pic rel

The wave of shit like Depression Quest and so on is made by the people that know nothing about fundamentals of their craft, be it gamedev or painting. They skip the learning part and instead jump right into self-indulgence and experimentation.

The recognition they get is due to message.
Murdoch Murdoch is an example of this from a different side. His animations are a shitty collage of stock photos and modified memes, he often makes "camera" work mistakes, though his writing is pretty funny, but he is still pretty successful as an artist because he found niche that lack it's own television show.

Damn, got me. Classic case of not to believe the shit you see online.

This is a half-truth though. You cannot deny there is a clique amongst the sjw-indie community with journalists promoting their friends constantly. Like shit cliques, they all have to follow the same rules and shit which is why message is related. I mean the only reason anyone really knows about depression quest is because the fact that the creator was sleeping with a guy writing articles for it got leaked. There's even cases of people being game designers JUST because they want to fit into this clique.

With shit like game journo's pro leaking I don't see how you could think otherwise.

Kind of ironic how fucking with the art medium indirectly led to the first nationalist uprising, while fucking with videogames, comics and other current media will probably lead to the second. This is why you should never fuck with autists and their hobbies.

I've done some tinkering with multiplayer, but it seems absurdly complicated without a central server; Something trivial in single player mode seemingly becomes impossible with two people.

pls advice

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

oke

It's really Brianna Wu in an attempt to do the biggest false flag of all time

I learned my lesson user, I'll do it from now on

Also shouldn't someone make a new thread?
What was the page limit threads had to reach?

13, just like it is now.
Someone get on it, I suppose.

Anyone here have any audio that needs mastering? Sort of bored today.