Hidden Japanese Gems

I've heard of this game called Baroque, and screenshots from the game make me very reminiscent of Shadow Tower Abyss, another highly underappreciated gem.
Anyone here played it?

Other urls found in this thread:

unseen64.net/2008/04/08/landstalker-psp-cancelled/
youtube.com/watch?v=NB-0Qvpzn3M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(activist)
techdirt.com/articles/20130805/08553424069/pat-robertson-sins-committed-video-games-same-as-real-life-sins.shtml
archive.is/rMJbc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, really. Its not, its pretty popular roguelike that got re-released on ps2 and wii after saturn version.

So you made a thread about a game you never played?
Its nothing like Shadow Tower Abyss. Play the King's Field games if you want something like those.
Baroque is just a 3D roguelike.

I made a thread to see if there is similar stuff that i also missed.
I wish this was translated too.

HEY GUIZ LET MAKE ANToHER UNDURRATED GAYMS THREAD

Fuck off, we've had like a dozen of these threads this week.

this was weird as fuck but I loved it

that was a really shitty adventure-game.

hardly.

its just a bunch of shit happening and then you die. i agree on ST:A, that was an amazing game, but baroque? no. just no.

This. Everyone and their dog played baroque.

It runs on AESTHETIC.

Rengoku 1 and 2 for psp are pretty similar, and somewhat less known.

If you want to play weird but shit japanese games give this one a whirl.Its only 3-4 hours long.
Its based on a japanese movie and the director of the movie directed the game too. Its a really obvious PS1 game hastily upgraded for PS2. If it was released for PS1 it would've actually been a hidden gem on the console but as it stands, its a mess.

Treasure of the Rudras is the last square SNES game

and it's great, as good as Live a live. the effort in spritework is excellent.

流行り神
Really awesome series. Haven't played the Vita ones yet as I don't have a Vita. I'm working on a translation of the first investigation of the 2nd game, but it's just a hobby, so it's not like it's going to come out soon.

This was also a pretty awesome game.

I played the fuck out of it and beat it. Love every moment, and it is easy.

Who will die?

Who will die?

I do not want to die.

Then I shall die.

Oh I posted before I saw your post. This was a great series, I think there are 4 or 5 games in it (5th being the one I'm going to talk about). Despite you thinking the last game was for Dreamcast remember Squeenix got rights to it and made some shitty mobile/psp game for it quite a while ago like 2009 or something.

sage for double post

Actual fan-translation patch, or just a translation script to follow?

I've seen that often on Japanese PSN. Sell me on it.

Wizardry XTH Academy of Frontiers
Wizardry XTH Unlimited Studies
Generation XTH Code Hazard
Generation XTH Code Breaker
Generation XTH Code Realize
Meikyuu Cross Blood

All those games were made by Team Muramasa (and michaelsoft, how they were called before) before they became incredibly popular thanks to demon gaze. Code Hazard has english translation and an english remake (which is shitty and i don't recommend).

All games are very cool intermix between SMT themes and wizardry gameplay.

silly anom, by "gem" people mean great things

even the popular well know japshit games are pure garbage

Made by the same guy that made Silent Hill, the story is cool but the game is a walking simulator with everyone looking as gay as possible

I wish for that company to die.

oops.

don't forget this little game that got an even littler release.

I actually ordered myself a copy a couple of days ago.

>Supporting Vic "edit the lolis in [email protected]/* */" Ireland

Shame on you.

Oh my god, stop posting misinformation you stupid fucking niggers. Landstalker is owned by Sega, they had some remake in the works for PSP that got canned.
unseen64.net/2008/04/08/landstalker-psp-cancelled/

Climax closed in 2015 because they haven't made anything of note. Square had nothing to with it. Goddamn, I fucking hate how you niggers can't into basic ass research.

… I don't know about any of this. I figured with this being a more obscure game that came out before all the outrage culture it would escape that nonsense.

Greetings reddit.

pretty sure we've used that term for a fucking while now. Don't know why it triggers you to thinking I've been to reddit when I don't even know how to post there.

What happened to Class of Heroes 3 anyway? It's probably cancelled by now.

Hello millennial
Things have been bad since the beginning and barely got any better.

last update was in July and they said they were finishing it up for the western release.

It's still a psp game, but they could always market it for the vita.

Pretty sure "outrage culture" is a politically correct cuck term used by faggots to describe "entitled gamurs misogynerd gamurs on the chans" to make themselves feel morally superior.
Sure you don't go there, >>>/reddit/

depends
90's were mostly christian moms throwing a fit, but vidya developers never paid much attention to them and usually mocked them… aside from Nintendo.

Then you had the early 2000's where things began to get better and localizations were pretty decent,

then we move into the current trend where everything is rotten and the SJW movement has its fingers in everything making them worse than the 90's moms ever were.

pretty sure your wrong and it targets those idiots who pretend to be offended by every little thing to virtue signal and put themselves on some moral high while shaping society into their own twisted image. Fuck off with your autism.

Wrong, pic related.
So you can feel better about yourself being content with a flawed product.
Which is what cucks like you do to show off how content you are with eating shit so you can be on some moral high ground because you're such a good little cuck for not making a fuss.

Fuck off with your faggotry
>>>/reddit/
>>>/somethingawful/
>>>/cuckchan/

top kek
Also Working Designs and Atlus had been shitting up PS1 localization too. Square Enix wasn't doing all that hot either.

oh yeah, Atlus did do the whole "diversity" thing in Persona didn't they. I forgot about that.

And I guess I just always saw Nintendo as beta as fuck when it came to standing by their creative visions… well, aside from that nice period around 2007 before it all went back to shit.

also, I don't remember Square doing to bad with their localizations up until recently with Type-0 being the major quality drop.

Hey cuck, goon acknowledge that is was the democrats and not
"duh ebul wight wing christuns" who started infecting this industry?

That is because you are a stereotypical millennial who doesn't know jack shit but will spew trash regardless
Even Sony shat up its games in localization.

I'm still mad at how they butchered Grandia.

sent a chill up my spine as a lad

Dunno why you faggots are so stand offish

I mean, what else do you want to have a normal conversation. I just wanted to talk about obscure Japanese Dungeon Crawlers in the first place, not prove that I know what I'm talking about with shit we agree on.

Get your own personal blog if you can't deal with a public forum
Sage for off topic

and what would that be? If I wasn't certain on something I made it pretty clear.

Thousand Arms seemed uncucked, though I sidelined it for Path of Radiance.

Definition of hidden depends on who you talk to, but here are some japanese games I like.

Is it really hard for people to know what a roguelike is ?

Somewhat. Because the original definition is still widely contended about which interpretation is accurate, it allowed for other games to be pulled into the discussion as well. So games with procedural generation, permadeath, and item identification can be considered rogue like even though they aren't turn based.

the definition is also dogshit. It has a grandfather clause that allows literally anything to be a roguelike no matter what, conversely everything by the same clause is also not a roguelike.

Which definition? There are at least 3 major ones in the community. At the end of the day rogue like got vague as more games that divulged from the original framework were made. Is something like Hoplite a rogue like despite not item identification and very minimal procedural generation? Is BoI and Spelunky less rogue like because they are real time? I gave up on the community years ago in that respect and just go with my own interpretation.

Each and every single one include a grandfather clause, simply because there's enough variation in what people consider the core roguelikes to make such a thing difficult.
Not to mention roguelike "community" is hilariously anal retentive about what is and isn't a roguelike, so they'll never settle on a definition like "captures the spirit of rogue" or something super easy like "first person game where you shoot".

Except you said with certainty
Along your bullshit narrative about localizations.

Go back to >>>/cuckchan/ you fucking faggot.

By the makers of EDF, and universally acclaimed by nips. Never localized or translated.

you're either shit posting or you're in a bad place where you believe anyone who says something slightly (and I do mean slightly) different than your beliefs is some shill. For your sake I hope it's the former.

That was a heart breaker. I wonder why they haven't done a sequel yet?

another fun tidbit

Try facts nigger, of which you don't know any,

Ikaruga?

I have no skill or ability whatsoever in coding or anything like that, so far I'm just working on a script. If I can find someone to pop it into the game, I would love to do it. Right now, though, it's more of something to do to keep my JP sharp.

It's a visual novel style game where you play as a police detective assigned to the Unsolved Case section of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police. The main theme is 都市伝説 or urban legends, obviously with a focus on horror. Each investigation has two paths: the scientific and occult. While most of the game is reading, there are choices that you get to make that determine the out come of the story (sometimes even bringing you down a dead end and killing you). There's also a Logic system, so there are two parts: one is where you think about the evidence that you have acquired and make a decision on what to do (this usually, but not always) determines what path you'll take. The other is where you get pictures of all the people in the investigation and you have to match them using key words, learned during the investigation, and try to figure out their relationship to a place, object and/or each other. Failure to get a certain amount right, and you fail and it's game over. I'm assuming that you read Japanese, so I'll just say the story is great. The first 3 games are all connected and if you play them in order are really enjoyable to see the progression of characters and features that change with each game. The soundtrack is also amazing, probably one of my favorites.

Sounds interesting. I notice there are PS2, PSP, and DS versions, is there any major difference or can I just go with the PSP version? And is Shin Hayarigami a remake or just a different series?

HOLY CRAP
i've been trying to remember this forever i always thought it was a FromSoftware game ,that's why i couldn't find it

I haven't played the DS versions, but I would say if you are emulating the game, the PSP version is much more available (I was only able to find the first game for PS2) but if you are going to buy it, I would go with the PS2 since the resolution is much better than the PSP.

Shin Hayarigami is a new series, I haven't played it, but from the videos that I have seen there is little to no connection with the original series, other than the return of gameplay mechanics from the first 3.

Cool, thanks.

it's fun, but not being able to understand shit makes a certain part impossible for me, about 5 hours in

Great taste.

I tried the game on my modded Wii. Shit runs at 15fps and is an eyesore

are you high or just retarded? Localizations have always been shit. The only real exception I can legitimately think of is Sega late genesis and post.

It wasn't called landstalker at all, I'll have to look it up again as I saw it on youtube. But I could be confusing it with alundra or lufia for some reason.

The mobile game is for AU phones is called レディストーカー 迷宮のワルツ (Ladystalker: Mysterious Waltz) and is a completely different game and has nothing related to the SFC Ladystalker game. What you are right about is that it's not made by Square-Enix, it's made by Digital Zone and published by Climax.

Oh wait I confuse it with Alundra because of the very similar character designs and gameplay….

Hello Gotcha Force user. Still find a bit odd that Lost Kingdoms I and II got picked up by Activision, of all companies, for western release. Also seems a bit odd that I see maybe six or so copies of Lost Kingdoms for every one copy of LKII when I'm out at stores (with the prices also ranging from a pretty reasonable for a GC game $12-15 for LKI, while LKII is $40+). Not sure if LKII sold really poorly in comparison, or merely didn't get nearly as big a shipment.

are the psp armored core ports a good way to experience those games? i don't have any way to hook up my ps2 these days but i wanna see what the pre-ac 4/5 games are like

The controls are terrible in a way even the PS2 versions can't match
Outside of that they're pretty good ports.

If you like that there are a few other good visual novels for PSX like 夜想曲 (やそうきょく)、死者の呼ぶ館 (ししゃのよぶやかた)、and one for SFC called 月面のアヌビス (げつめんのアヌビス)

I'll keep those in mind.

Reminds me of this game.

Underrated post

You will never fug friday

What happened?

Wait, you're telling me that kikes were the source of a problem? No way.

To add to the list of Japanese games that will never get translations, there's Kuryuu Youma Gakuenki Recharge (九龍妖魔學園紀 再装填). It's a cyberpunk Egypt-ish themed first-person dungeon crawler with a jazz soundtrack.
Here's what I think is a let's play of some sort. youtube.com/watch?v=NB-0Qvpzn3M

Baroque is great, we got the inferior version though. The remaster dosen't have the same atmosphere. It's nothing like Shadow Tower though.

It's not that obscure, has a western release, and was very well recieved.

I've heard Lost Kingdoms II is the better game, unsure about production numbers.

Hi back Wild Arms guy

Demolition Girl.

Might be wrong, but Baten Kaitos strikes me as perhaps more the sort of games to steadily grow in awareness over the years online. Origins in particular seems like it sold especially poorly, given it was like the second to last non-shovelware/licensed game on the system and the Wii would be out just a few months later. I wouldn't be surprised if there's people that did indeed know of, if not play, the first game who are unaware that there was another that was made, let alone brought over in the Gamecube's twilight. Actually had a discussion with someone the other day (in a Circle K, no less) where the games got brought up; other party said that back when the system was current they could never find anyone in person around here, aside from them, that had played the games, let alone heard of them, though I suppose that's possible hearsay to a degree.

Additionally, "well received" does not always mean that a game sells well, or that potential buyers wind up all that aware of its existence. Look at Otogi 2, where places like EGM, despite declaring it a good game, wouldn't give it much coverage or review space at all, using the excuse that the potential amount of people that actually cared to know about it here was "relatively few". As a result, the game is pretty hard to find these days in person (admittedly Internet as a marketplace makes finding stuff easier), and from what I've read in the past a mere 40,000 or so copies were made for sale in North America.

Admittedly I still need to play them myself, but I've heard similar over the years myself.

Really hoping for more news soon on Naruke's Re;Fire, and that some kind soul acquires and dumps it once its out, assuming it's not something being freely uploaded straight to the internet for fans to enjoy.

First I heard of it. Did you find anything besides that promotional video on the website? It's all in moon.

Was checking for artwork somewhere and saw a mention of it there. Was how I first found out about it.

Running the text through Google Translate, the site text itself says something about it being a sound project delivered to fans of Wild Arms for the series 20th anniversary, and to keep tabs for updates on the site and twitter. Nothing that couldn't already be derived. The video itself is some text about keeping a fire lit, no matter how small it might get, and something about it being essential for wasteland heroes to hold justice and regards for what they do, or something.

The twatter feed is a bit interesting though. Naruke posts that she met with Iwadare for a dual 20th anniversary fan celebration of Wild Arms and Grandia back in March.

Also, one of the new year's day ones comes out to this:
Sounds like it's been in the works since late last year and will continue through this year as well.

They could've been right wing jews.

Some quirky games I don't see a lot of people talk about

Tried playing some of Contact myself. I want to like it, but maybe I'm just not quite understanding what I'm doing, or how to tell when I'm ready to try to progress further in an area. It's just odd going from one floor of a dungeon where enemies do scratch damage and you can't really get much in the way of skill levels from them at that point, to the next floor having enemies taking out like 10 HP per hit (when you have maybe 130 health or so) and forcing you to either dodge fighting them (and thus be weak in skill levels for the boss), or blow through your consumables (and thus be low on recovery for dealing with the boss).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(activist)
techdirt.com/articles/20130805/08553424069/pat-robertson-sins-committed-video-games-same-as-real-life-sins.shtml
www.conservapedia.com/Video_game
www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90159-Christians-Attack-Gay-Agenda-in-PC-Game

Now fuck off with your historical revisionism. Just because I hate SJW feminazi shit doesn't mean I want to fucking hail Hitler or start blaming leftists who want to dismantle large corporations for things large corporations did. inb4 you post that one stupid picture with the guy in the mask.

Treasure of the Rudras
live a live

Guess we just have to wait and see. I was reading GoG reviews about Grandia II's PC port and was sad to hear bugs were introduced. Hopefully they've been patched out.

Prior arrangement projects for the series (admittedly not having been by Naruke) turned out pretty decent, and Naruke herself has done pretty good arrangements for Wild Arms ACF and Smash Bros prior, so I've got faith it will turn out well.

Can't really speak of Grandia II myself as the only way I have right now of playing it would be the PS2 port, which I heard was pretty bad. I'd like to play it sometime, but for now it's one of those games I'm just going to have to write off.

Anyhow, if you're curious on it, it might be worth asking next time there's a Grandia thread (or GameArts one; seems more frequently made as to expand discussion to both Grandia and Lunar) if the anniversary edition might have been fixed up, or dig around some and see if there's any patch notes regarding it, if it has even seen official patches.

I wanna fug that snek so bad.

Oh, and I'm also still kind of hoping for a second "very very bad salute of guns" thing, as the prior fanbook for the tenth anniversary was before the casts of WA5 and XF existed.

Yeah I heard the same about Grandia II PS2 port. I'll ask about PC bugs in a general. I found some links attesting to Brigandine GE's censored fan translation if you needs em.

Looks pretty awesome. I haven't heard of Kuryuu before, I'm going to see if I can find a copy. Thanks!

Sure, I could use those. Namely since I've seen at least one user in a thread a week or two back make a claim that there was no censorship in the fan-translation, and whoever made the initial claim (I'd first heard about it years back on half/vr/, shortly after the initial patch release) pulled it out of their ass.

What system is that for, out of curiosity?

I could have learned Japanese in the 4 years Gideon has not been publishing the translation for this game.

Let that sink in.

So why didn't you?

Because I kept thinking that he would deliver.

You shouldn't put your faith in SJWs.

I don't pay attention to anything Gideon does to know if he's actually an SJW or not. All I know is that this guy takes on too many projects, and because he's an established name the odds of someone sniping a translation from him are low. Wasn't until last year that I gave up on getting If… anytime in the current decade. I guess I will start learning Moon. Not like my life has much going for it anyways.

He's not even a translator anyway, he's just an editor.

Funny thing is that SMT if… and Romancing SaGa 2 were priority projects. RS2 they at least seemed to be having some notable technical difficulty with (and with Square officially bringing the remake over for phones and Vita, it may very well be cancelled), but I'm not sure what the excuse for if.. has been. Seen some people speculate that they lost the work and aren't telling anyone. Though, it;s not like his site's had any progress updates posted for close to two years now.

Anyone know what this game is?

mobileshit

PS2

Just because Gideon is an antagonistic dipshit doesn't mean other people can't complete the projects themselves if he wants to continue being an autistic fucktard. That's what Dynamic Designs did, and he quickly shitted out his own release because he got salty as fuck.

Cool, thanks.

For Mystic Ark I assume?

Reverse image searching suggests "アヴァベル".

The battle system was unique, and I loved how they had different dialogue for party members that were traitors if you maxed out their affinity, and how the game's story changed the more times you replayed it.

Aren't they just called rougelikes because they are like a game called Rogue? Basically another "Souls-like" or "Metroidvania" situation.

Also figured I might mention that while I could find the game listed here with the moonrunes, searching with that romanization wouldn't bring up much pertinent. Apparently the proper romanization (as far as, say, finding a place with the ISO uploaded) is "Kowloon Youma Gakuenki Re:charge".

This is the main link:

archive.is/rMJbc

If you want more search romhacking.net for "brigandine censor*"

?

Thank you. I have put this together from that for reposting purposes.

This is why you learn Japanese.

What kind of weak-willed retard thinks "well my religion doesn't allow magic so if I just SAY it isn't magic then it'll be ok, r-r-right?" Do these people seriously think it's THAT easy to pull the wool over an omnipotent and omnipresent deity's eyes like that?

You don't get to just pick and choose the parts of religion that suit you. A large majority of Japanese titles deal with elements that don't jive with traditional Christian values, so either accept that you don't actually believe the fire and brimstone spiel (Seriously, risking eternal damnation over video games? What the fuck is wrong with you?) or embrace your dogma and fuck off out of the hobby.

It is an unforgiving, unbelievablt difficult game with little fake difficulty and a story thats interesting if hard to find.

Dark souls is a lover that expects you to listen to its demands and know how to perform them based on how she is moaning.

Baroque is an S and M mistresss who will fuck you in every hole before letting you lick her feet and then ride your dick till its raw and bleeding

thank you back, that's handy

You're welcome. Might add a cap of a chain of RHDN comments I found as well, but considering that was hearsay, compared to this tale of someone that had delved directly into the game to try to restore things, I'm thinking that prior cap might fulfill what evidence is needed better on its own. That's just my own thoughts though.

Just cuz they allowed a gender bender hack doesn't make me want to write them off. Were you just trying to avoid drama? Or are they worse than I know?

That Spoony user posts in RHDN as well. That link I gave you, I had found posted there first. TalkingTime is cucked, as far as I can can tell. Saw some niggers bitching about anime tiddies or some such.

Perfect
You're talented
It's like they even planned it this way.

Has a pretty good soundtrack, I'll say.

Mainly just avoiding potential derailing, yes.

The Great Blaze happens on May 14. Going to replay this game to celebrate.

Yes at first, but questions have been raised on whether or not Roguelikes should only adhere to what Rogue did or if; a game that has sufficient similarities but some differences, should also be considered roguelike.

Using this game as an example; the point of contention for "real time roguelikes" which violate the "Turn-based/Grid-based" paspect of the original Rogue. So even if the game still has permadeath, is exploration based, has item discovery, and is hack & Slash (All of which Baroque had) it somehow is no longer qualified to be called a Roguelike. That's really rigid for my tastes and while I still love Baroque regardless of it's status as a Roguelike, I think the genre could stand to lessen restrictions in this area of movement.

Come to weeb vidya to discuss stuff like this and without normalfags
>>>/wv/

Going to be honest, I thought that was lost in the hack. Or at least, it hadn't been recovered last I checked.

Every single "weeb" and "otaku" community is full-on normalfag and anti-Japan.

Also calling yourself or your community "weeb" is a sign of being ironic and not really serious about what you're doing. As expected.

One can be self-deprecative, you know.

Generation Xth gave me such a headache at the start trying to understand all the parameters. The sewers map is one of the best maps I've explored across all drpg.

its a term used to describe the phenomenon where people butthurt over nothing, such as you are doing.

if they embody everything thats disgusting about jews then they are jews.

This is almost loss.

what the fuck was he thinking with that stupid ass mustache?

There's nothing in the bible against telling stories about magic, though. It's fucking nonsensical.

What would you call it then? EyeoftheBelolderlike? Wizardrylike? Adventurelike?

Roguelike is the popular term for it because it's the popular term used for it, not that it makes sense.