Dragon Quest III

Why do people think Final Fantasy III USA is a better game than Dragon Quest 3?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OfjLTYJ8Z2o
romhacking.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=o3oi11tplh0ng92u2amgfqlke3&topic=14879.120
boards.4chan.org/vr/thread/3951734/why-are-old-jrpgs-so-much-better-i-honestly-didnt#p3955836
archive.is/8KsRQ
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Cannon
romhacking.net/translations/341/
romhacking.net/translations/340/
romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14879.80
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wouldn't a better comparison be DQ6 as opposed to DQ3?

or wouldn't it be better to compare DQ3 with FF3 in japan

bad comparison.

That makes it even worse because FF still couldn't get shit right by the 6th game while DQ had it figured out at III.

Are you also a girl gamer?

Why are RPG titles always so generic that I can't help but think it's ironic. Like some bad TV show has a cameo with an RPG game in it so they just made the most generic sounding name of an RPG game they could think of. But it's real.

because westerners are story fags. FFV is vastly superior as a game but people prefer FFVI cuz "muh story". They don't care about mechanics at all

At Least compare FF6 to DQ6, keep the arbitrary comparisons making some sense.

Or compare the DQ and FF games that came out in the same year. Since DQ III came out in 1988 that would be FF II.

That would not be arbitrary comparison tho, that would be fairly legitimate comparison.

Congratulations you found out that Final Fantasy was never good and basically only FF7 and FF9 are the only "good games" in the series, though they're only considered good because people enjoyed the stories.

Looks like we need a timeline. These are jap dates.

DQ1 - May 27, 1986
DQ2 - January 26, 1987
FF1 - December 18, 1987
DQ3 - February 10, 1988
FF2 - December 17, 1988
DQ4 - February 11, 1990
FF3 - April 27, 1990
FF4 - July 19, 1991
DQ5 - September 27, 1992
FF5 - December 6, 1992
FF6 - April 2, 1994
DQ6 - December 9, 1995
FF7 - January 31, 1997
FF8 - February 11, 1999
FF9 - July 7, 2000
DQ7 - August 26, 2000
FF10 - July 19, 2001
FF11 - May 16, 2002
DQ8 - November 27, 2004
FF12 - March 16, 2006
DQ9 - July 11, 2009
FF13 - December 17, 2009
FF14 - September 30, 2010
DQ10 - August 2, 2012
FF15 - November 29, 2016

FF8 is a mechanical wonderland
Its subtly broken in many ways so you can basically play the game how you want

FF12 is also pretty good, if you removed a bunch of the story. .. itd basically become Monster Hunter lite

FF1>DQ2
DQ3>FF2
FF3>DQ4
FF4 and 5>DQ5
DQ6>FF6
FF9>DQ7
FF10>DQ8
FF12>DQ9
FF14>DQ10
FF15>DQ11

Its settled. Final Fantasy is superior series except for two installments.

You fucked up your comparisons a few times. You should used the closest date.
FF1 and DQ 3 are only two months apart, while DQ2 and FF1 are 11 months apart.

FF1 = DQ3 to me. They're both great.

You should compare DQ8 to FF12, as the distance is only a year and four months, as opposed to three years between FFX and DQ8.
Similarly, it's actually DQ9 vs. FF13 and I think everyone knows how that goes, given how DQ9 is actually a pretty solid game, if bogged down by social crap.
DQ11 isn't out yet but I guarantee it will be much better than FF15, if for the gimmick alone.

FFVIII is shite. Yes you can play in any way you like, as long as it's spamming limit breaks and physical attacks because you don't want to get weaker by casting magic or wait 2 minutes for a summon to end. Also it's one of the worst paced JRPGs ever

Too bad DQ3's combat is dogshit with no variety
Arbitrary item limit with items that cannot be tossed away taking up space which are otherwise useless.
Bosses which are immune to status effects for some reason
Enemies which take up disproportionate amount of effort and resources compared to what they give.
At least its not DQ4 where you can't even control your party members.

The gimmick being ability to switch between 3D and classic 2D modes?

false, in fact Baramos is a million times harder if you don't Stopspell and Surround him right away.

go back to Paper Mario.

I wonder why people overlooked a game where the hero's name is Butz, you get a pirate dyke for a companion and fight a magic tree from beyond time

Baramos is a joke boss that is a push over without any spells beyond healing.

Gee I don't know

List invalidated, and I say that as someone who prefers FF. X is cinematic trash that laid the groundwork for FF13

Yep. It is kawaii uguu.

Now I'm really curious and autistic.

Megami Tensei 1 - September 11, 1987
Megami Tensei 2 - April 6, 1990
Shin Megami Tensei - October 30, 1992
Breath of Fire 1 - April 3, 1993
Shin Megami Tensei 2 - March 18, 1994
Shin Megami Tensei if… - October 28, 1994
Breath of Fire 2 - December 2, 1994
Chrono Trigger (Xenogears PW ep. 6) - March 11, 1995
Wild ARMS 1 - December 20, 1996
Breath of Fire 3 - good ol' September 11, 1997
Xenogears (Xenogears PW ep 5)- February 11, 1998
Wild ARMS 2 - September 2, 1999
Chrono Cross (Xenogears PW ep. 6 cont'd) - November 18, 1999
Breath of Fire 4 - April 27, 2000
Xenosaga 1 (Xenogears PW ep 1 [intro] 2[after])- February 28, 2002
Wild ARMS 3- March 14, 2002
Breath of Fire DQ - November 14, 2002
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - February 20, 2003
Xenosaga 2(Xenogears PW ep 2 cont'd) - June 24, 2004
Wild ARMS 4 - March 24, 2005
Xenosaga 3 (Xenogears PW ep 2 cont'd)- July 6, 2006
Wild ARMS 5- December 14, 2006
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey - October 8, 2009
Xenoblade Chronicles (Xenogears PW ep 1 gaiden) - June 10th, 2010
Shin Megami Tensei 4 - May 23, 2013
Xenoblade X (non-canon faggotry) - April 29, 2015
Shin Megami Tensei 4:A - February 10, 2016
Breath of Fire 6 - February 24, 2016

As we can see, Feb 2016 was a particularly shitty month.

But user you must understand

its a straight line with a fixed path.
The mantra system in DDS2 is better

Daily reminder Dragon Quarter was the best BoF game ever made, and people just didn't like it because it was different from the previous (unbelievably generic) games in the series.

OH yes and I mustn't also forget

FFX is trash. The only people who like it are fags who played it as their first RPG.

It is a great fucking game, most people can't get through the two hour or so learning curve. It begs to be mixed with the hex grid and tools system from Wild ARMS, that shit would be amazing.

FFX is trash. The writing is so fucking cliche and obvious that when I was over at my friends and he played it I could basically autotranslate what the al-bedh were saying because its the same shit you've seen thousands of times before.

Mantras in DDS2 are great but remember how shitty and linear they were in DDS1. The expert sphere grid is a bit better, but it doesn't change that the game has no traditional dungeons until Gagazet and is a completely straight line. Everything FFX tries to do, later PS2 cinematic RPGs do better, most notably Shadow Hearts 2 as a whole and 3 from a gameplay perspective, as well as Xenosaga 3, all of which use the tick-turn based system popularized by FFX. It's a bit of a shame that the genre immediately committed suicide upon hitting the PS3/360. I don't think the major JRPG companies have figured out how to make a big budget RPG that isn't just an open world game with pause.

ff5 is the only good ff

I really enjoyed the monster arena and status effects were really useful in FFX. I prefer pure turn based over ATB anyway. I liked FFX despite the garbage story and the shitty dungeons, because each character besides Kimahri had a use for most of the game, unless you took Kimahri up Auron's path early on.

Shin Megami Tensei :Devil Summoner - December 25, 1995
Persona 1 - September 20, 1996
Shin Megami Tensei :Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - November 13, 1997
Persona 2: IS - June 24, 1999
Persona 2: EP - June 29, 2000
Digital Devil Saga 1 - July 15, 2004
Digital Devil Saga 2 - January 27, 2005
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army - March 2, 2006
Persona 3 - July 13, 2006
Persona 4 - July 10, 2008
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon - October 23, 2008
Persona 5- September 15, 2016

As we can determine from these dates, somewhere between July 7th and 11th 2016, JRPGs started to suck.

*July 12th.

The only game they're not that important in is 7, and even then the majority of enemies can be toaded or confused.

I've played FF5. I still dislike it because most jobs are trash. I think it's underrated but personally I can't go back and play it. Too few useful job combos.

Sweet summer child.

Berserker and Geomancer, sure. Monk come lategame, sure.
But that's three out of what, thirty?

You can sweep the game with hunter/ranger 4xattack/rapid fire. It suffers from the same problems that everyone else is bitching about in ff6, being able to sweep everything with no effort. Throw mystic knight buff (whichever class gives magic weapon) onto that and just faceroll. It's not that deep.

Sure, right up until the GBA bonus dungeons. Why don't you give rapid fire a whirl on Neo Shinryu and tell me how that goes?

on a regular playthrough it's a pretty simple romp, but the game becomes a lot more interesting on Fiestas. For example, try to beat the game using thief zerker BM and dragoon, it gets pretty intense.

Also, this. Limiting yourself to a handful of classes (or even a handful of classes while doing a single character run) makes the game crazy deep.

Nope. BoF was total shit after 3, and even the best games in the franchise were mediocre as fuck.

Never played GBA version, I just remember that they changed some class and skill names and forgot the ones in the old translated rom.

Try to do a no sphere grid run of FFX then.

BOF4 is fantastic on a technical and aesthetic level. The gameplay is fine but fuck if it doesn't waste your time in the fucking middle.

Aw shit dude, you're missing out. The game expects you to know shit like mini with the genji shield giving 100% physical evasion, dual wielding flare spellblade rapidfire, and doublecast quick into five meteors just to have a fucking chance at anything once you hit the postgame dungeons.

Fuck, there's a boss whose first attack is an unavoidable and nonelemental full-party instant kill.

You're entitled to your opinion but I thought it was an abomination.

How do you get around that? In 6 you'd just use the Jump summon.

There's actually a ton of different ways. You can jump, sure, but you could also do stuff like having a bard hide while a zombie with a reflect ring hammers on itself with any weapon that casts spells on attack (flame lash et al) or killing it before it gets to do anything.

you're shite kid.

8 is the best of the series

What would be the purpose of that? I get that Zombie reverses damage/healing and what Hide does, but why the effect item and reflect ring?

You're either baiting or you've never played any of these games.

I never played 8, how is it? I know it's pretty weird and nonsensical.

The plot is full on retarded and takes itself 100% seriously and the mechanics are hilariously breakable. I love the game the same way you'd love a retarded puppy.

I could forgive you if you die a few times on your first playthrough, but I can very easily start up a brand new game from scratch and finish it with zero restarts. Just learn the mechanics, play conservatively, and you're good. Artstyle is subjective and I won't fault you for your opinions, but in terms of gameplay, literally just git gud.

fuck storyfags

There are hints that the Bravely team is working on FF5 and FF6 remakes.

Zombies cannot be killed except through holy water. The boss will focus all it attacks on a target that it cannot kill.
Zombie attacks party members with flame lash.
Only valid target is itself, and it cannot kill itself.
When it attacks itself, it can trigger fire 3 on the target it is attacking.
Fire 3 reflects off the reflect ring and hits an enemy target at random.

Now if you were to compare Dragon Quest III and the ACTUAL Final Fantasy III for the nes. You would get a totally different story. As for FF vs DQ. I really don't see a different in either. I prefer Dragon Quest cause Final Fantasy takes itself way to seriously sometimes and the music varies from both. Can I like both?

As for underrated jrpgs, faggots here really need to play through Romancing Saga III on the snes. It puts Chrono Trigger and FF6 to the test. You would be very very surprised the depth that game can go too and how casual Chrono Trigger and FF6 really are.

Seems a bit odd if you ask me, given how Square had Matrix Software work on FF III and IV DS. That said, Matrix Vision seems to have gotten away from being Square bitch (particularly in terms of being stuck making mobile ports for years), so perhaps that might be why Square's looking internally.

uggggh.
is this Final Fantasy 3 with the Job system and Luneth?
Or Final Fantasy 3(6) with Kefka?
I fucking hate square for that.
can't you just like both of them and not think either is better?

Dragon Quest III for the snes and Final Fantasy 7 are still considered by Japan as the best RPG's they have ever produced.

relatedly

Storyfags

FF6 story isn't even fucking good, that is what pisses me off the most.

We already went over this. That is not chronologically accurate.

FF3 has to be compared with DQ4 or DQ5, as they are the closed released DQ games.

FUCK IT TO BUSY WATCHING BATTLE OF THE NATIONS

Why would you compare DQ3 and FF6? If we are ignoring release dates and systems, it should be DQ3 vs FFV (both had job systems) and DQ4 vs FF6 (ensemble party collection). And yes, DQ4 is much better than FF6.

I didn't know what that was until just now, holy shit that's awesome.

Berserker with either Monk's martial arts or Knight's two handed weapon thing demolishes a fair chunk of world 1. Monk is actually pretty useful early game too, as fists scale way beyond early weapons (not to the crazy degree they did in FF2, but still pretty good)

Where's that thwomp?

Final Fantasy 6 had some difficult moments, until you figure out how to get certain weapons and abilities/tools early on, like the CHAINSAW.

Berserker has lower speed and strength than either knight or monk and their speed is so low they lose out on DPS versus any other melee class. Axes, the berserker unique weapon, have terrible accuracy and excessively random damage, and only outperform knight swords against a handful of things with unusually high armor due to their armor piercing properties. Unless you're underflowing their magic power with a giant's glove and thornlet to achieve massive damage with the gaia hammer, their best weapon is the assassin dagger almost solely due to its base accuracy of 100%.

And that's not even getting into the fact you lose control of things like running away or using items or changing rows. Berserker is shit.

Monk demolishes world 1, yes, but is useless lategame.

Brawler's attack power is: Attack = 3 + Level*2 + (0..(Level*2/8))
Sword attack power is: Attack = Weapon Attack + (0..(Weapon Attack)/8))

Come lategame when knight has access to weapons like Excalibur and the Brave blade, their attack power is 110-150. The monk would have to hit level 50 to compete with a knight, and even then wouldn't be able to equip armor or shields, both of which are phenomenally useful. I usually see people finishing the game around level 35, so grinding out 15 levels just to get the monk on par with a knight is a testament to its lategame worthlessness, even setting aside that the Brave Blade and Excalibur are both available at the start of world 3 when you've got even fewer levels.

You could theoretically give the monk kaiser knuckles to give it an extra 50 attack power, but then it would lose out on hermes sandals and therefore have its damage halved.

Monks are TRASH lategame. Their only real use by then is getting mastered so their max strength and hp are passed along to freelancer and mime.

or figure out vanish+doom lel

Monks are godly in FFT as well. Although my favorite build ever was a Gun-using Knight with Samurai as his sub and ignore height, with his stats and equips spec'd for speed and move. He would bounce around the field, breaking equipment and debuffing speed while everyone else mopped up.

I will never understand this.

Chicken Knife is a better weapon than brave blade because of the STR+DEX calculation than the pure STR calculation from the blade. Also, running away will increase the knife without having it's power reduced by winning other battles.

They had no plans to rerelease the games at that point. The first FF1 remake isn't until what, the Wonderswan?

Why would you say something hopeful like that? source pls

The entire rest of the world was trusted to not have an aneurysm from the Japanese numbers, only the US was considered too stupid to deal with it. Don't patriotically defend that.

Dude you are building the dumbest false dichotomy in the world. Who fucking cares?

Because it is.

False patriotism is still patriotism. Screaming "American numbers are better!", even when you know that they're only in place because the whole world believes you to be stupid is proving their point.

Its had nothing to do with America being stupid, it had to do with it being a new industry and Japan being to poor/bad marketing. Fuck off nip weebshit sucking faggots.

I think it was because the States didn't get FF1 till 1990, and the SNES was to come out next year, so they didn't bother doing 2-3 for a console that was gonna be dead in a year.

You're Holla Forums tier retarded dude.

Welcome to 95% of Holla Forums now, the place is a joke to Mark and his goons

Or it's summer and all the dumbass college-fags are starting to pour in. High school seniors are finishing their shit up as well, so quality won't start to go back up to pre-election levels til late august.

It sure is, and the ragnarok is only marginally worse than the brave blade.

The brave blade has an attack power of 150 at best and zero randomness, but the ragnarok has an attack power of 140 + (0..(140/8)), which averages out to a functional 147.

3 points of attack difference.

Eh, I hear this alot and I use to agree. But phone posting is now a staple and these fucking inbreds can post and are on their phones 24/7.

They already did that; why it's such an overrated Final Fantasy

The gimmick of actually having content and not cutting out parts of the story to make DLC.
They seem to be using ATB kind of shit with the option of moving the main character around like in DQX in the PS4 version.

Sounds like it doesn't have that melodrama FF fans can't get enough of.

They're going the skill grid route with DQXI.

If you enjoyed FFV and FFVI; you wouldn't see that as hopeful.

Fucking mutant.

Well I didn't play Bravely default, but I thought it got pretty well received? And what's wrong with liking both FF and DQ?

I mean I prefer Dragon Quest and will go back and play them once in awhile. Not with Final Fantasy though, I just have no hate for it.

I broke the game too easily and now it's not fun and the story is shit unless you're actually struggling in the gameplay.

Not educated, I see.

The Bravely games have a really good battle system and a lot of great quality of life things (such as the ability to turn off/turn up the frequency of encounters at will, the ability to reduce gold/exp/jp to nothing while grinding to prevent overleveling if you want to play a low level game. But they have the bad habit of making you play the same fucking content over and over again. Bravely Default has you awaken the four Crystals and fight their bosses four fucking times, meaning you have to run through the same fucking dungeon (as the temples have the same layouts) sixteen fucking times. All with the majority of the same dialogue and a fucking awful button mashing minigame. The boss fights are good, but you fight every boss four times (at least) and by the end it wears out its welcome. Bravely Second is a lot better in this regard, you only restart once, and it's a **new-game plus where the characters jump back in time from the failed endgame of the first run through with all their foreknowledge and completely fuck the villain's shit up and redo the plot so it gets a good ending, without much repeats the as villains get their memories too, so everyone knows what's going on. The new jobs are also really cool and mix in interesting ways. In both, it's insanely easy to get max exp/gold/jp per battle because you can choose to fight another encounter at the end of battle.

So they've got a bunch of good ideas, but fuck up a bit in the execution.

FF3 had the greatest soundtrack of all time

youtube.com/watch?v=OfjLTYJ8Z2o

That's bad game design. A game should be deep and challenging without the player placing arbitrary limits on themselves.

I didn't play BD but I kept hearing the games go to crap halfway through.

FF fans only really care about story and graphics, DQ fans enjoy finding out the story for themselves and the gameplay that got them into the series; they're polar opposites.

My classes always went through until the end of May. Nice try, user, maybe if you keep acting condescending you'll finally hit on an accurate statement. Spring started last month.

I've played FF 1-13. I'd say I liked 1-7, and 9. I've only played DQ 1 and 8. I've been meaning to get into the series, but I've heard most translations are pretty pozzed. Which ones should I play, in what order, and what versions? I've heard some have gotten non-fucked fan re-translations.

You know, I've played DQ1, 5, and 8, and I always felt like FF had deeper gameplay mechanics. Granted, the only one of those I beat was the grindfest that is DQ1, but something still felt missing from the mechanics. I'm not saying FF is deep, not at all, but the DQ games I played didn't feel very deep either. Their intended simplicity just comes off as too simple and they just made me want to go play Strange Journey.

I must be missing something about the series here, what's the best mainline game with the most depth?

I've heard DQ7 is the hardest.

Difficulty does not necessarily imply depth.

I wish they just had put in a newgame+

No, but its fucking long and boring.

This, Treasure of the Rudras is good too.

That one too! A different take on things. Really makes you realize how the Playstation just took old undetected snes rpgs and put new graphics on them. Fuck Sony.

Do you not understand how greentext works

Final Fantasy:
Has a story.
Has gameplay.

Dragon Quest:
Has gameplay.

DQ has a story, it just never bothers trying to act like it's some kind of high grade literary work. Its only desire is to be fun and interesting.

Add to that that the area I live in is hot as fuck in the summer and until high school we only had outdoor campuses.

As far as I've heard rumor on, part of the issue is that Square seems to have it in their heads that Dragon Quest can't sell at this point without "Oy mate it's eight bong" style accents ("culturization"), but considering how much more editing (and thus costs) that requires, it's made them leery of bringing stuff over for a while (there was a gulf of about eight games between the end of the DS games we got here, and starting to get them again on the 3DS). If they'd just cut the crap and try bringing them over with a standard translation they'd probably see them sell about as well if not better, and have much lower costs for bringing them overseas, but it's apparently something they don't want to risk, leading to them both not wanting to bring stuff west, and fucking the scripts up when they do.

Anyhow, if you want to avoid the current trends for the western releases of the series (which as far as I know stem back to Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2, with subsequent teams adopting Honeywell's style), with the first three games, you can play the original NES releases that did come overseas, GBC versions (which also got cleared to come west), or the fan-translated SFC versions. The GBC ones have more content, while the SFC ones have better graphics and audio. Dragon Quest IV had an NES original and a PS1 remake, but the latter hasn't seen a fan-translation effort, perhaps on account of Dragon Quest IV for the DS having come overseas. With Dragon Quest V, both the SFC original and PS2 remake are fan-translated. Dragon Quest VI had a fan-translation project for it on the SFC, but last I checked it was still a "v.0.9" or something so I'm not sure if it's actually 100% finished/polished. Dragon Quest VII has a PS1 original and is notoriously lengthy (and apparently the game does NOT like the eboot format if you were to want to play it on a PSP or something). Worth noting as well that no classic Dragon Quest that came west has a VC or PSN rerelease; Square apparently really fucking hates old games Enix used to publish, and to my knowledge only ActRaiser has a digital rerelease.

The japs like Dragon Quest for the reason we like games with Okami. They just want a cute little adventure in a setting that is foreign to them. Final Fantasy is a higher energy octave.

The accents started with DQVIII which had voices forced into the game which caused lag in the gameplay. It sold well which should've been attributed to the drought DQ fans had before its release and the FFXII demo instead of the Brits they got to voice characters. The best part of them taking DQVIII and using it as an example as to why accents should be kept in is that years ago they used it as an example as to why DQ is dead in the west.

There's someone working on trying to fix the DS version: romhacking.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=o3oi11tplh0ng92u2amgfqlke3&topic=14879.120

Square hates everything that's not Final Fantasy with an especially hard hate boner for DQ. Yet to get thearhythm or any of the Monsters games when we ended up with FFs thea game and monster raising game.

DQ's stories are actually pretty decent. They're only video games I've played that captured the same feeling as the 12th and 13th century Arthurian romances. Some of the episodes would fit perfectly in the 2nd or 3rd Grail continuation.

Thanks for the link, I'll keep tabs on it.

That's sad considering how I thought Enix made better games.I even found EVO somewhat fun to play

Found out about myself when I was starting up on playing the whole DQ series instead of just VIII and IX. Sadly my comp's a toaster so I'm gonna have to use my Wii for the PS1 games. Sucks I haven't heard of anything on PS2 for Wii or 3DS so at that point I'm gonna have to upgrade my comp.

From what I've seen (I wasn't big into vidya back when the merger was current), there's a fair amount of debate about who caused who's downfall in the act. Either way, Square can now use the popularity of stuff like Dragon Quest out there as a battery to offset whatever ridiculously blown budgets/potential flops of games they actually want to make, and still keep trucking.

Enix was a publisher, not a developer to my knowledge.

Consider a PSP with CFW and look into eboots. I'm really not sure how good PS1 emulation on a Wii actually is.

Consider getting a fat PS2, an HDD (IDE preferred), and a network adaptor, and set it up to run games via loader from the hard drive if you don't want to actually buy PS2 games at this point. Lets you play games on the actual system without paying beyond that, and even bypasses region locking.

It was 50/50 sometimes, but yeah Enix usually highered third party companies to co-make game. I always saw Enix games until the Ps1 kinda the under dog/ against the grain kinda rpg maker. They did make some good action rpgs with good concepts. Lets not talk about Actraiser 2 though.

Enix is also responsible for Valkyrie Profile.

Enix didn't make Valkyrie Profile though. Tri-Ace developed it while Enix published.

So will I be fine getting the European version of DQ VI on the DS?

They both shit

It's staring you in the face, you're just willingly blind.

Actually, it does have a difference in story, since Dragon Quest actually has story that you follow in EVERY game.

Final fantasy tells you it's story through long ass cutscenes, while dragon quest has short ones and the story is told through the NPCs which you need to talk to anyway to gather information on your surroundings.

DQ1 and DQ2

DQ3 i suprisingly have not gotten around to play, someone cover for me

DQ4

DQ5

DQ6

DQ7

DQ8

DQ9

DQ10

The difference between Final Fantasy's story shit and Dragon quest is that the story is mainly told outside of cutscenes, by the NPCs you talk to. But honestly, Dragon Quest is just better designed in gameplay, and it doesn't focus on being melodramatic, it in fact EARNS it's dramatic scenes and never has a character become incapacitated by the loss of a town.

Dragon Quest is full of characters who are proactive and resilient, while Final Fantasy will have characters who mope around a lot.

I much prefer Dragon Quest considering that it actually cares about difficulty and isn't inflicted with the cancer that Final Fantasy got fucked with. The main draw to final fantasy is that each of their games did something different that changed the whole game, while Dragon Quest was about building up a strong foundation and adding changes to the formula that only benefited the game.

Final fantasy got far too experimental and they're riding on brand loyalty at this point. Dragon Quest will never not be good, so long as they keep their development philosophy stone solid.

The OP is a repost from cuckchan:

boards.4chan.org/vr/thread/3951734/why-are-old-jrpgs-so-much-better-i-honestly-didnt#p3955836

they're different IPs for a reason, not in name alone. FF6 is good in its own merit regarding story for its time, music, nice character development and broad party with no main character. Paper mario is an easy as fuck game too, that doesn't mean paper mario is bad. It's still enjoyable in its own right.

I agree Dq3 is more patrician and it oozes much more gameplay for true jrpg fans but FF6 is still worth playing at least once because it is still a game birthed from effort and quality.

Why the fuck are you on cuckchan. Get the fuck out.
Thanks for the head ups

isn't that detrimental considering your level up stats depend on your materia? or whatever the fuck theyre called.

A retarded puppy that plays amazing music.

Yeah, but to be fair it's not really explained much at all how your stats work in game, plus if you're overlevelled anyways it's gonna be a cakewalk.

Yes it is, Espers have clearly delineated level up stat bonuses in the damn menu. If you level up too much before Zozo/the Factory, you'll be massively underpowered for you level by the time the world of Ruin rolls around.

in DQ3 you father is supposedly dead but not really, except he dies in front of you when you finally find him

NO MAIN PROTAGONIST! YOU ARE THE ERDRICK!

Oh yeah, and it's actually a prequel to DQ1 and 2

So much fucking death….

Still had a story. If I heard right; one of the expansions was about the monsters making their own chosen to combat the current one in DQX.

Horii, Sugiyama, and good Toriyama will die in your lifetime…

archive.is/8KsRQ
According to the archive's timestamp, the halfchan post was 3 hours later. Meaning OP was from here and is a cuckchan faggot trying to make it look like 8ch is just taking posts from shitchan.

Actually I'm retarded and the crapchan post was about 2 hours earlier. Forgot archive's time and my time are different. Nuke the thread.

I don't see why it's a big deal; at least on this occaison. There's rarely ever a DQ thread and even rarer for one that doesn't die quick.

Dragon Quest threads actually used to be kind of frequent here, at least back when that one user was playing through each of them in order and making a new thread between each playthrough. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall those having gone well enough while they were active.

Kind of thought of doing that myself for some of the JRPG series I've opted to play through for the first time (such as .hack, as of now), but given the state of them for the most part being dead as of now, and certainly not being all that well known anyhow compared to some other more mainstream ones, I'm pretty sure they'd have just rotted in the catalog without much interest (meanwhile shitpost threads can readily hit bump limit if the topic is interesting enough). Thus I generally just wait for a more broad thread to try to get a bit of discussion on them in, which unfortunately can be a long wait if no one makes anything applicable.

I played several of the .hack games a long time ago. My memories of them are vague, but I don't remember them being good. Seemed extremely basic mechanically with growth being dependent on massive amounts of grinding (Becuase you're playing a game taking place in an MMO! There has to be lots of grinding!), getting good RNG drops from massive amounts of farming, and even more those two things in the post-game. Levels are all randomly generated, so there's hardly any design and slogging through gets boring as mud real quick. I think people liked them for the story. I remember some sort of pig breeding minigame I enjoyed though.

I should note that I played both the trilogy of games about the blue hair shonen protagonist named Kite, and the trilogy of games about the Edgy McColdsteel grey haired protagonist who was "jack of all trades" class. I think there may have been more games.

Yeah, that was me. Dragon Quest threads are usually fine, but you can only talk about the series so much and the new stuff are all side games not the main series. Recently I have been tackling other snes games. Apparently this is the hardest game for the snes? I beat it two nights ago.

We need something that everyone can focus on; hopefully DQXI can eventually be that.

I've currently watched Sign and Liminality, played IMOQ, watched most of Roots (up until I've heard where there's spoilers; odd thing to have in a prequel meant to be seen first/alongside if you ask me), and am partway through Rebirth right now. I've found them reasonably good (and pretty interesting), if repetitive and not for everyone. G.U. does have a number of improvements on the technical end, as well as spending more time on actually making The World seem like a more believable MMO where there's more for players to do than autistically grind.

Haseo himself is definitely "edge" material, but from what I've seen of his history, his habit of spending all his free time grinding and hunting Tri-Edge (usually culminating in hunting PKers for information and then slaughtering them) seems to stem from him not knowing of any other potential way to help his comatose friend (unlike Kite, he's not given Data Drain right off the bat to use in his own investigation). Aside from that there's been jack shit he's actually able to do for her.

And yeah, while the first two subseries of games came west (or to NA at least; in G.U.'s case, PAL got shafted as usual), there were two more games that remained Japan only: .hack//Versus (a fighting game included with the blu-ray of a movie), and .hack//Link, a PSP game which has an ongoing fan-translation effort.

If it's a possible SFC JRPG of interest for the future, Song of the Angel is apparently entering early playtesting of the translation patch.
Just figured I might give a heads up, though the mention of "Liana" makes me a tad worried.

You just explained why in your OP. DQ is a shitty grinding game.

are you one of those fags who constantly run from battles or something?

I thought you only do that if you're trying for muh super hard low level runs?

Well, when I was a kid I would run away from every fight and rush through the dungeon then proceed to get my ass beat by the boss, needing to grind to proceed. Then I stopped being retarded and started actually playing the games

Feels good being the type to fight and explore.

My strategy when playing abnormally was to save, go to a dungeon way above my level, run from everything, grab the high level equipment in there, leave, and destroy everything that's around my level.

That's what I'm all about now

This is pretty fun but it feels like you're skipping parts of the game, so I try not to do it

DQ1 was the perfect game at the time, never played anything like it coming off mainly arcade and arcade type games. The first game I skipped school to play. For 3 months faking illness

I'm going to play the SFC version of DWIII with a fan translation. Turns out I had already played DWII a long time ago and had just forgotten. I'm trying to come up with a party strategy.

Hero: Sexy
Char2: Valiant Fighter > Cleric > Warrior
Char3: Smart Cleric > Fighter > Sage
Char4: Sharp Thief > Jester > Sage

Is this retarded?

Like I said, during abnormal runs. Obviously if you're doing it you're already familiar with the game.

Figuring out the rhythm of old games (having to actually make exploratory runs and turn around halfway to resupply rather than just rush from save-point to save-point) has made me "over-level" in pretty much every RPG since the mid 2000s (Nocturne and the DDSs being the last two hold outs) simply but not running from shit/engaging every enemy on the map.

Oh boy, can't wait for that censorship

wait

people play Final faggot for anything other than the story?

are you fags mental? all thats left is the mindless grinding

Yeah, shame they'll have to change the Sambo class you get from the Earth Crystal to something like "Urban Jiggaboo."

That's pretty good actually. Sexy is the best personality you can have for a female hero.

Is this information incorrect? I keep getting clerics with 4 or 5 strength, which according to this shouldn't be possible. Also, if the minimum bonus is 2, wouldn't it make more sense to raise the base of each class by 2 points and say the bonus ranges from 0-8? Are the base stats listed accounting for the minimum 2 point bonus, or are these numbers just incorrect for the SNES/SFC version of the game? Is there something I'm mssing?

From some save stating it looks like the base stats match the chart, but the bonuses range from 0-3 for secondary stats with 3 being very rare and 0-4 for primary stats with 4 being very rare.

When I get to DQIII, I'm going for Tomboy

Maybe I'm just unlucky. I just got a cleric with 9 strength, but I'm having trouble getting wisdom higher than 8.

Patrician taste, but as personality affects little other than stats or so I'm told, though pic related has me thinking otherwise I'm inclined to pick what feels the most efficient.

I have my imagination to help.

That explains a lot.

If the personality quiz says anything interesting about you being a tomboy, be sure to post it.

Until the Sex Wars end with the PC community literally fucked to death

Okay, after much save stating I have:

Team of females?

Of course.

I demand sauce on that pic.

what. sexy and cute are in english, "なの?" as a sentence ender makes it interrogative, they're saying "is it sexy?" and "is it cute?" (or possibly "am I" depending on context, I don't know the characters)

One of the best games that gets shit on because it's part of an ongoing series.

Find it yourself you queer

(2) and I still demand the sauce of that pic.

I'll always prefer Dragon Quest over FF because it doesn't force you to load your save file if you die. Please provide source, google reverse image search fails, and since DQ is only mentioned there's really no guidelines on what to search here.

If you go on the panda and limit your search to mangos, tomboy, tanlines, english, there are only three pages of results. The girl is on a panel in first page of the mango doing a jumpkick. That's all the help you get.

If memory serves, /rec/ here has a stickied thread for trying to get people to help find sauce on stuff that that can't be found via google reverse image search, IMDB, etc.

And to favorites it goes, thanks.
It never occurs to me to search tags like that, only genres come to mind when I think of searching stuff there.

If I could change one thing in this game I'd make it so a tomboy can equip the boxer shorts.

I just started a dual class run of FF3.

Basically used a random number generator to pick two classes, a primary and a secondary, for each character that I'm going self impose they only use.

Really a great way to replay the game.

Got a:

Samurai/berserker
Summoner/geomancer
Blackmage/fighter
Timemage/ranger

Just made it up to the soul cannon. Having the ranger as my only healing (nightengale) is proving to be a challenge.

It's pretty great since you get to try jobs you would never really use. The geomancer has been putting in crazy work, never really used fighter as a total tank but it can be really strong intentionally having low health teammates and having Guardian/elvenmantle.

Looking forward to getting into bravely default at some point.

???

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Cannon

sap+aging is killing me.

This is fun.

you can destroy it before it fires by breaking a bunch of Thunder Rods.

Well, with Samurai aboard I doubt anything will stop you for long.

what

This is true, Luckily he is primary as a samurai and secondary berserker.

Not sure If I'll ever use axes/hammers for the samurai but maybe.

Anyway, good luck. There is also a similar challenge called the four job fiesta.

Type heavy, only LV5 Death works

why would you call it a challenge run then

That's like not using Time Magic or Mix because they're too good.

Well, it's your game so you can make your own rules, but you know what I meant. Why would you abuse broken stuff if you want to challenge yourself?

LV5 bypasses death immunity anyway

Talking to her gets me different random garbled text each time, and also breaks the game unless I restart or load state.

I found one more and this supposed "Sabrina"

didn't mean to upload those images again.

that's what I was saying. It's probably the most broken spell in FF5.

you call that a glitch?

Well DRAGONU QUESTO sounds better in Japanese than Dragon Quest does in English
Same with FIRNUR FANTASHE to Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy is actually really slick sounding.

So why do the arguments I hear about FF8 boil down to "Dumb story, too hard to understand!" and "the system is broken." like that is a new thing to the fucking series.

Try just "Dumb story."

Talk about warped expectations~

Worse than the usual.

At least we can agree that Dragon Quest >>>>>> Final Fantasy

If I'm never going to change personalities, should I just sell all the books and personality changing accessories?

(chekt)
You mean the first ones, or the franchises?

Good luck with that fighting the Intangr or the Bracchiosaur, faggot. Otherwise you've got something resembling a point.

That was a random encounter right? Wasn't it vulnerable to some debilitating status effect?

Fucking millenial trash get out and stay out

Provided it didn't party wipe you with Meteor (Or Meteo—believe it was the only other enemy in the game with Meteo) in its first attack. High HP value, pretty brutal counters, privy to act fast and stomp a mudhole in you were you dumb enough to actually head straight to Gau's father's house the instant you got access to the Falcon.

And yes, of course you could Vanish+X-Zone glitch it, but only faggots and people not farming for Economizers do that.

I guess we truly know which franchise is superior now. :^)

Maxing through the Bannon River isn't a strategy, fag. It's autoplay.
But go ahead and try to last long enough to Imp it right after you unlock the Falcon. Good will hunting. :^)

Final Fantasy Tactics is better than all Dragon Quest games put together.

It's not possible to be more wrong

Most overrated FF is VII and the most underrated DQ is VI.

FUCKING PEDOPHILE TRANSGENDER MARXIST SJWEEBS INFILTRATING MY GAMES
GET OUT OF MY FUCKING FAN TRANSLATION PATCHES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
:^)

It also leaves you about as powerful at 99 as a properly leveled level 40 character through the conventional method, so it's not even worth it.

agreed
6 was as good as 4 and 5 in its own way.

of course

How is are DQs super bosses? I never played the series much outside the original when I was younger, I'm to much of a retard who wastes time on FF games still.

Right now going through the obnoxious grind of spheres to max stats in X for the Dark Aeons fights.

Just use Yojimbo.

Oh

The fuck do you mean by that?
Final Bosses
Secret Bosses
Post game Bosses

You might be retarded if you can't figure it out on your own.

Having beat old school NES-DW3
best party is:
hero
soldier - easier to farm money/buy top weapons & armor
pilgrim - basically cleric, and you can turn him into a sage later if you want
wizard - top black magic

kinda like my FF1 group from back in the day, fighter-fighter-whitemage-blackmage

The first time I beat FF1 I used Fighter-Black Belt- WM-BM

Is there any optimal level to change classes in DQIII? I just changed my thief into a dealer at level 30.

That is literally the default setup the game recommends you.

And?

Good also but you had to exp grind that blackbelt/master

What? Just because they require less exp to level doesn't mean they take it away from everyone else. Are you retarded?

Also, you say nothing of the thief.

OOGA BOOGA WHERE DA WHITE WIMMIN AT?

My first Final fantasy was VIII and I really enjoyed how you could absorb spells from monsters and also the story was kind of cool

Mine was IX and I too enjoyed VIII
If FF hadn't turned into such a fucking disgrace I would've probably tried playing all the games before IX

What kind of autistic logic is that?

on my first run I turned Thief into Sage and got my single most powerful party member, basically invincible due to Agility and with a fuckton of MP

I don't wanna feel sad if I end up really liking them. I was lucky FFX and FFXII happened before I even could become truly attached to the series.

I don't even feel bad considering you don't get shit, at least the Trema fight in X2 had a point.

Because of the ridiculous idea you can take Toriyama's art seriously.

Yeah, that happened to me, and I wasn't using save states at the time because I wanted to be hard core, so I had to start the entire game over again.
You need the 1.1 patch, you're using the 1.0 patch.

It's not better than Rocket Slime.

Literal retort of a casual. I bet you don't even have a spreadsheet.

wat

Will getting the next patch get rid of my save data? Each of my saves has a black bar over the save location by the way.

Step up your fucking game.
Actually, it's true that you're the only real person here and everyone else is a simulation. Our program just fucked up

Actually, the site got maintenance and reworked IDs. As a result, all IDs of posts already made were set to a template ID.

Why not have them just in case of issues outside of the gameplay?

It shouldn't as long as you make sure all the DQIII files in your save folder have the same name as the patched game.

Because he's a weak willed faggot that wouldn't be able to resist the temptation save scum if the saves were already there. Really though, I can't blame anyone for savescumming in JRPGs when they often rely on shit RNG.

Because Dragon Quest has shit art and Toriyama should be publicly executed.

I keep a save near critical points because fuck finding my way back in the first two DQs. Fuck DQ IIs slots.

Didn't expect that because the game was based off a 2D version. Pretty nifty.
Fucking how? I just woke up.

Were cute sorceresses with huge bosoms always a thing?
How did I miss this.

the battle bgs in that version look really nice, my favorite is the ocean battle

I'm really liking it so far. I was surprised the slimes don't have flat texture only mouths.

If I manage to beat the spooky castle in one night, will my dad magically never get sick? Would I get any kind of reward?

She really likes it. Last DQ game she tried playing was 7, and I don't think she even got halfway. Only DQ she's beaten is 8.

FFX was okay. I mean tidus was a worthless faggot who should've been deleted but the game was alright.

isn't she the most beautiful thing ever

Only in DQ because Toriyama and the lolicon fantasy game.

FFX started the corridor shit in FF which took away the overworld that made it feel like I was in a world.

People sure do love impregnating their daughter.

best daughter

He really does ruin it. The character designs aren't even that bad, it's just the shitty faces.

Did he design the monsters too? Because those designs own way more than his boring human designs

Yeah, Toriyama can't draw more than 3 human faces but his monsters are awesome.

Is this really how they localize these games?

Yes, but that specific shot is from a fan translation. Not sure if it's just a text insert, though.

FFX is just one long hallway with nothing to do besides watch cutscenes. It's absolute shit.

Nah, because unlike 13 its battle system is good.

People do these gimped runs solely because they did LIKE the base game so much they want to challenge themselves. I've never done low level or single character ones myself but I can appreciate the autism it takes to pull off some of that shit.

this happens

It's really pretty good. DQ3 really puts the effort into the main game that is usually found in post-game FF stuff.

eh. It IS long. Class system is wonky as hell. I'd say DQII but I imagine in all reality it is NES DQIV for some reason, even though I haven't played it.

I love this game.

the fuck?

What translation are you using?
romhacking.net/translations/341/
romhacking.net/translations/340/

What, were you gone last week? Codemonkey was messing with something and for whatever reason every post made prior for certain threads had the ID default to the OP's.

No joke, My internet was down for a week. My house was hit by lighting.

The game being talked about there is DQIII. You just linked DQV SNES patches. I'm already done with DQIII anyways and am playing DQV PS1 patched.

PS2*

It's a much more enjoyable game with better characters and pacing and 1000% less grinding.

this meme needs to die

Unless you want to play the boring way with a team of ill equipped incompetents who will need to overlevel in order to compete with class changed character, you need to class change.

I know the translators were probably just following the shitty modern DQ convention of giving everyone accents, but
WHAT THE FUCK? WHY IS MY SON SPOUTING SHITTY MEMES?

he's probably referring to the sabercat

Skimming the thread I couldn't see anything about it: is he also restoring the party chat function? That being cut due to 8-4's incomprehensible laziness is one of the biggest things turning me off from playing that version. It still fucking infurates me to this day that the JP cart has a 95% complete English translation with no cancer and 8-4 was paid to do nothing but rape 30% of it and delete the rest.

I think he wants too and it was also said that another group is working on their own fix for party chat. Maybe if we're lucky, someone will fuse the two scripts into one if the guy never fixes party chat.
romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14879.80

Also, it wasn't from laziness; it was from them spending so much time retranslating text into accented crap that they didn't have time to do party chat.

I've waited 10 years already, I can afford to wait a bit more.
still surprised it took so long for someone to try considering the near-finished translation on the JP cart

DQ3
-useless merchant class
-goof off
-grind,grind,grindgrindgrind! They even included a dual class option to ensure copious potential for the grindgrindgrind.

FF6
-all classes can be used effectively, the only one that's particularly shitty is the berzerker
-story
-characters! And no need to lean on any main character

Read the fucking thread. The OP is a literal copypasta from shitchan and the comparison of the games needs to made within the context of their release years.

Played through DQ1 last week and now just outside Hagons castle in DQ2. Iv gotta say seeing the evolution of the JRPG genera like this is really cool. Its hard to believe that there was only one year in dev time between DQ1 and DQ2 as DQ2 is so much more than DQ1 in every way. Im looking forward to DQ3 and seeing how things grow yet more (job classes etc)

What is the best version of DQIV in english at the moment? The partially complete fanpatch DS version?

See

But they are both the third flagship CRPG that nips deemed suitable suitable for unloading on 'muricans.

So? They could both be the first but if they came out 6 years apart, and especially at a time when the genre was growing rapidly, the comparison is apples and oranges. See >>12449204.

OVER A DECADE OLD SHITTY MEMES AT THAT

How cucked up is the 3DS release of DQ VII?

And this was a fan translation. The meme might not have been as old back when it was made, but it shouldn't fucking be in there in the first place.

When is the fucking RNG rolled for whether or not you catch a damned monster in DQV? I just want a restore slime/king cure slime.

fucking got it. nearly 200 tries.