Pretend that VGX was a serious event, do you think this deserved the GOTY? If not, what would be your nomination?

Pretend that VGX was a serious event, do you think this deserved the GOTY? If not, what would be your nomination?

The year was 2012, in case you forgot, don't want to remember, doesn't know the game, etc.

Absolutely not.
Dragon's Dogma, Ys Origin, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 or La-Mulana

Take a moment to appreciate the fact that the final villain was some guy you never saw before who you had the opportunity to do no wrong to, but it makes no difference since he treats you the same either way.
The beginning of the fifth episode is so totally anemic if you opt out of cutting Lee's arm off, which serves as an apt metaphor for most of the choices in the entire series: choose the cool, dramatic option or else see the issue limply resolved a little later, or even just skirted around.
It just goes to show that making the decision making the primary source of gameplay in anything is an enormous risk, and even though people largely consider the first Walking Dead game to be well done, it's still only barely above your average Choose Your Own Adventure book, where selecting option B instructs you to flip to page 253 whereupon the protagonist dies with little fanfare.

In conclusion, the only thing that sets The Walking Dead apart is something that Alpha Protocol already did ten times better because the choices you can make in that are less ambitious in scope and more immersive in consequence.
I award it no points, and may God have mercy on its soul.

I don't remember what else came out that year, but yes, TWD was great. Season 3 in kind of shit, couldn't care less about any of the characters, even clem is annoying me with her obsession with that nigger baby.

What is this fascination with fucking lists? I'm autistic so I have problems with normalfag behavior so it is probably on my end but I always just play games. GOTY?! Does that mean you're only allowed to play one game per year or something? Why single out one game though. It seems entirely arbitrary. Every year there are games that I enjoy coming out and I can just play them all without having to choose.

Fuck it I don't even remember what I played back then. Likely some obscure weebshit journos don't care about.

(checked)
u r breddy gudNice analysis.

(combo checked)
I didn't even start playing season 3, a trustful source said that the final decision was completely ignored in it, and you know, it was THAT decision, THAT decision that polarized every community that bothered to discuss this game. Telltale clearly lost it, if the fact that it managed to make a popular game wasn't an accident in the first place.

Isn't fascination with specific things a symptom of autism? Sorry, I really suck at psychiatry, even in a board populated by your kind.

No, not really, the original idea was to pick up the most successful and well-made game in a specific period of time and praise it, today is mainly used for marketing purposes (hence Overwatch winning last year, a game that I see no reason to be played in the first place).

My GOTY for 2012 would probably be Dragon's Dogma, I invested so much time into that game so fast.

Good post.

delete this

or else

Wasn't even a good walking sim, let alone a "game".

Any GOTY award in 2012 not given to Dustforce is shit so that means pretty much all of them are shit

The only thing it got going for it was the 'father-daugher- archetype story. Remove it, and you're left with a repercussionless story and a game bereft of anything resembling gameplay.

Prove me wrong faggots

Probably Hotline Miami. Hotline Miami was good.

No one's arguing with you, man.

Decision-making games are possible, it's just that no developers have put in the effort of having so many branching paths. I'm hopeful for the day someone takes the initiative and delivers well on it.

Anyone with a brain would stop taking these awards seriously when a not-game wins a game-of-the-year- award

No and no OP. I've realized how Mass Effect was/is a big game industry darling and they worship it for the story. ME3 would've been selected for 2012 if not for the massive shitshow over the ending. This was their backup plan, since it's the same CYOA where the choices don't matter, but it has shallow father/daughter bonds so that makes up for it. The entire game is reduced to the binary choices from ME, only QTEs and conversations break it up, and this tree was the best Telltale could do. I don't know what writing disease has spread, but almost every narrative focused developer seems to be in love with "your choices don't matter". I'll never get over how the yearly throwaway CoD had more branching paths tacked on as a side thing while games dedicated to that feature in the same year are more linear. Unbelievable.

My personal GOTY was FTL. I didn't back the kickstarter.

Holy shit, is that second chart really CoD? How the hell did Telltale get chosen over that?

Yeah, it's Black Ops 2. Released in 2012, same as the other two. I'm only guessing, but it seems to be due to them pushing narrative heavy games that require no effort and choices easy enough for drain dead journalists to make. Even for CoD, I'd imagine it's a lot easier to fuck up on the easiest difficulty than ME3 or TWD. Plus it still adheres to gameplay more, however poor that gameplay is. Look at shit that gets pushed to the top like Bioshock: Infinite, The Last of Us, or Fallout 3/4. They're always going to go for shit that is story first, gameplay afterthought with some parental drama since it writes itself. Witcher 3 was a coincidence considering the gameplay holds up better than those other games, but you get what they really value in gaming by looking at it in the same light. Plus I bet it plays itself on easy.

It was only for Black Ops 2 and people hated it because of the Strike Missions and since they hate any CoD set in the future.

Well game journos are total scum, there's no secret about that. They're the rejects from every other media platform.

And yet that should be the standard for a game that emphasizes story over gameplay. The fact that CoD singleplayer, a script heavy campaign from the get go, has more choices than your 'groundbreaking' story telling game should be a wakeup call.

Telltale games tug on the heartstrings more, I guess. Black Ops 2 handled choices better than any RPG I've played, other than possibly Fallout NV. It implemented some choices in very organic ways, too. For example, whether Alex Mason lives or dies is determined by whether you shoot him in the leg or in the head before his identity is revealed.

Thank you Thomas Jefferson.

who runs the VGX? like who actually owns it? did anybody ever checked it to see if there's any conflicts of interest?