Nipponese Learning Thread: 金曜日 Edition

New thread. Don't forget to study every day. If you're new and just starting out, then learn Hiragana and Katakana. When you're done with that, learn vocabulary and grammar. Vocabulary will help you absorb Kanji and grammar will let you use the damn language. You have to do both if you want to be able to write, read, listen, and speak in Japanese. Some say there's no point in learning Kanji by themselves, but you can do this too if you really want. All of the resources are below, if you find something that you want to add to the list, then post it and make a point of saying so. Also, this list is not definitive, so if you think that something should be removed, then discuss that as well.

YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE
Resources
DJT guide: docs.google.com/document/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#
pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c
Anki and Decks
Anki: apps.ankiweb.net/
Core 2k/6k:mega:///#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
Core2k/6k content: core6000.neocities.org/
user's Japanese Learner Anki package: mega:///#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk
KanjiDamage deck: ankiweb.net/shared/info/748570187
Kodansha's Kanji Learner's Course deck: ankiweb.net/shared/info/779483253
Websites, Apps, and Books
RealKana: realkana.com/
Kana Invaders: learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/
Genki I and II (2nd Edition): mega:///#!aBF1TJYJ!D7Lkamt_oa6QlkMX4k0e7nDRu3qwacyyuoyxvbSego8
Forvo.com: ja.forvo.com/
Mainichi.me: mainichi.me/
Rikaichan: polarcloud.com/rikaichan/
GoogleIME: google.com/ime/
KanjiVG: kanji.sljfaq.org/kanjivg.html
IMABI: imabi.net/
Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese: guidetojapanese.org/learn/
KanjiDamage: kanjidamage.com/
KANJI-Link radicals: kanji-link.com/en/kanji/radicals/
Japanese Audiobooks: how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6241&PN=1&TPN=1
All Japanese All The Time: alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-all-the-time-ajatt-how-to-learn-japanese-on-your-own-having-fun-and-to-fluency/
Erin.ne.jp: erin.ne.jp/en/lesson01/index.html
R.A. Miller's A Japanese Reader:///mega.nz/#!aNoHDBRa!1q_JZWZnktl16rWZsSz1PHUxQbTvi5UU_VpSIogzxO8
[YouTube Videos]
Namasensei: youtube.com/watch?v=nqJ5wU4FamA&list=PL9987A659670D60E0
JapanesePod101: youtube.com/user/japanesepod101/videos
KANJI-Link: youtube.com/watch?v=nOXuIYVzyL4&list=PLE6S_Q0SX_mBtzG17ho7YER6vmzCPJ3B4
Japanese Ammo with Misa: youtube.com/channel/UCBSyd8tXJoEJKIXfrwkPdbA/playlists
Japanese VideoCast: youtube.com/user/LingoVideocast/videos

Other urls found in this thread:

realkana.com/katakana/
mega.nz/#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
realkana.com/
learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/
hukumusume.com/douwa/pc/minwa/
mint.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/english/1490543188/
umich.edu/~umichjlp/kana.html
ankiweb.net/shared/info/779483253
core6000.neocities.org/dojg/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Katakana_table_extended
youtu.be/fbSfPg1jnxs?t=92
docs.google.com/document/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#
sukebei.pantsu.cat/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reminder that nothing is stopping you from cutting out hipster faggot middlemen except your ennui

なぁにこれぇ

japan is a cultural mistake

貴様はミステイクだ。

While in hindsight adopting kanji seems like a mistake, you have to remember that China was pretty much the cultural center of Asia at the time.

I'll start… someday

s korea adopted it when it made sense as well then when it didn't anymore they threw that shit in the garbage and basically only really use their alphabet type letters

And we've all seen how well South Korea ended up.

START TODAY

You're not getting any younger, bitch.

I tried enrolling for a course because it helps if something else is demanding I do the work but I fucked it up

Just come to this thread whenever you need your ass whipped into gear.

i guess we should all speak in languages that take forever to learn because they're retardedly overcomplicated. why not go back to our roots and live in mud huts as well.

Now your talking.

That's a lot of big words for someone in favor of simplification.

Are you are watching/playing/reading anything Japanese?

Knowing katakana helps you read things that in lots of cases are directly from English. It's a great starting point and every time you see some on a sign or title, you will be able to understand it because the underlying word is still English.

realkana.com/katakana/

?

How do you download a mega file?

You just click the link and click download?

It isn't highlighted.
I'm talking about the mega:///[jumbled letters] in the op.

I can't figure this shit out.

Then just copy and paste it into your address bar. It's only not highlighted because there is no space before it.

mega:///#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU

Or maybe not, I could have sworn mega addresses turned into clickable links.

Links copied from the site turn into that. Some browsers let it work by pasting it like that, but others require you to edit the link like this:
mega.nz/#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU

You guys ready for your lesson?

>tfw no hot sex ed + language tutor

Thank you.

who is this messy haired slut?

It's from some harem battle anime of some kind.
Couldn't bother to remember it because it looked bland.

I don't speak Gook, but in Japanese kanji actually makes the language easier believe it or not. Try reading full paragraphs without any kanji. It's a shit.

Also this, the Koreans aren't exactly good role models for anything.

Rewatching Gundam Build Fighters and Try, trying to get those Japanese subs from the previous thread to work but they're being a shit.

Monster Hunter XX, Fire Emblem Echoes, Super Robot Wars V… I don't actually play anything not in Japanese anymore.

I should get around to those Mazinger ZERO manga soon.

dang

itskindaliketryingtoreadenglishwithnospaces

Bingo

I remembered it now, it's called sekirei.
Watch it if you want.

threadlier reminder

Pics of truth tbh

今日は聞こっている勉強ことが続けます

Does this say "Today, listening study continues.", because I'm pretty sure I can't use a verb like I am. I really need to practice production, reading is a lot easier what with having the context to fill in the gaps in my knowledge making guessing meaning a lot simpler.

I would just use 聞く, and rather than 勉強 maybe 練習

threadliest reminder

Cheers.

Some days, it would probably be easier to motivate myself if I had a Japanese friend. Not sure if anyone would want to be friends with someone with the linguistic prowess of a caveman though.

Everybody's gotta start somewhere, I guess.

We must cherish these eurika moments; they're fuel to keep us going.

If you speak English natively, they'd probably want to be your friend for that.

Reported for spreading misinformation

聞き取り is what you want to use to describe listening comprehension. You wouldn't say 勉強こと but 勉強すること. Nevertheless, just 勉強 is suffice here. 続ける is a transitive verb, so you generally use it about something actively being continued rather than something that's passively continuing, for which you would use 続く/続きます.

Reading more will also give you context needed to fill in the gaps. Not saying to neglect production practice though.

fixed 404

still 404s?

test

How the fuck do I remember Katakana? I wrote each individual character down over 100 times and I can't remember them.

RealKana: realkana.com/
Kana Invaders: learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/
Grind the flash cards with anki, or use these websites. I did these for about two weeks and I was pretty proficient at the end of it. Learn them and with daily practice they'll be a lot easier to recognize. It's just going to take some time.

If you can't even remember katakana then kanji is gonna be hell for you.

It's weird. I was able to remember hiragana no problem. Is it how they're shaped that's making me not remember them so well?

In a language where most words are homonyms.

is right, realkana can help you drill them in quickly. A useful exercise I did when I was studying the kana was to stop after every 5 I learned, then write down every kana I knew up to that point in order, from memory. Producing things without aid is the best way to solidify your grasp of the information.

Don't do that, you won't learn shit that way. You learn much faster by association. That's what i did:
I've learned nearly the entire hiragana in just one session thanks to associating them with things. A few days later i repeated that, and a few days later again, and now they're pretty much in my long term memory.
For easy association examples to understand what i mean, for me a ん looks a weird (n), a し looks like a ski(shi) board, a つ looks like a (tsu)nami and so on. Even if i don't always recognize the symbol at first glance, i do after remembering the association. Repetition is worthless when your brain goes AFK in the middle of doing it, which is basically what you've been doing by mindlessly writing them down.

Repetition is fine for kana since it is so simple and commonplace. Kanji is where you need mnemonics.

Sorry, not contributing to the thread at all, but kek

your best bet is to compare katakana with hiragana. Katakana is often simplified hiragana and as such has a similar shape. For instance, look at pic related. when I was learning katakana, I had to make a few abstract explanations for differences, but I was also able to learn Katakana faster than I learned Hiragana

For シ and ツ I just think that "shi" is a happy face because it looks upwards and you kind of smile when you say it.
"Tsu" is a sadder face because it looks down and you don't smile when you say it.

That's not as useless as you might think. When I first started anime opening credits were my earliest source of reading practice.

But…but シ is also smiling…

Why reading is such a bitch? Half the time i think i'm bullshitting my way through Yotsubato and Hanahira

I meant ツ, obviously.

-_-'

because u suck user
prove me wrong

Colloquial speech can complicate things. I've been reading the stories here:
hukumusume.com/douwa/pc/minwa/

As it's aimed at children, they use fairly basic grammar and plain diction so it's easy for beginners to follow.

It's only smiling to hide the pain of existence.

I can't, you are probably right ;_;

Might be good to try this

Just keep at it.

Literally just started and holy fuck is this confusing.
こんにちは I think that's right?

Does anyone know of any forum or such where you can acquaint yourself with some nips?
I'd like to make some more friends before visiting soon.
I also mean to go to comiket bit doubt I'd find much enjoyment out of it alone. So a place to meet some losers that aren't too awful would be great too.

It's been very fulfilling to learn this language. Being able to understand so much and being able to hold very basic conversations has made the daily studying worth it. I can't wait to get better.
How is your progress coming along, anons?

Is は Ha or Wa as a sound? Everything seems to point to it being both?

Literally just started but I'm starting to learn Hiragana.
I thought it'd be more difficult but I guess I'm still at babbysteps.

は is only pronounced wa when used as a particle.

Ohh cause I was getting confused in that I could only get it to show up by typing ha, when trying to type こんにちはbecause when I tried with wa I get こんにちわ

You'll always have to type it as ha no matter how it's pronounced. May be confusing at first but you'll get used to it.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Umm I think it's ありがとう?

頑張って!

Could always 2ch

>2ch
That's their community. Just like we don't want halfchanners and other garbage to infiltrate our site, I shouldn't infiltrate theirs. Besides, I doubt it would be an effective method of meeting people I could meet up with in real life.

Hiragana and Katakana are easymode. They each shouldn't take you more than a week.
What you'll probably realize soon enough is that the language itself isn't actually that hard. In-fact I sometimes feel like its quite primitive. The real kicker are the fucking Kanji. Having to memorize so many symbols is a pain.
If I had to write by hand, I'd probably even have difficulty remembering common Kanji like 元気 or 行. It's strange what I find myself struggling with.

That's why it's useful to practice writing too.

I wish I remembered the site you can send mails to nips in order to learn more japanese.
It is some kind of language exchange thing where you send mails in japanese and have nips correct and respond to you in english and you correct them and so forth.

mint.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/english/1490543188/ :^)

Do you mean lang8?
I do use it but the people tend to mostly just seek corrections. I have made a pal through that but most people don't seem open to that.

I do on occasion but i'm mostly focused on remembering words and grammar.

user, what is this?

That is what I meant.

I don't like memes, but…

Feels like a dead end since even when I do leave the house and talk to people it's the same basic shopping phrases and the like. I'm probably getting more comfortable speaking and hearing without thinking about it, but I doubt I'm picking up much new vocabulary.

Jesus Christ I thought learning Cyrillic was a nightmare.But you're telling me the fucking nips have 2 ridiculously large scripts, AND fucking Kanji? This is going to be fucking rough.

It's not that bad, user. Just get a routine down and take it all one bite at a time.

what is this?

It's more like one moderately sized script and Kanji. Hiragana and Katakana are two sides of the same coin, and Kanji is just like remembering the names of Pokemon. How do you know a Bulbasaur when you see one? Well, it's got a bulb on its back, it's a greyish green, it's got red eyes, and it has four legs. Easy. What about Alakazam? He's a golden yellow, he's got two spoons in his hands, and a long flowing mustache appendage. Point is, Kanji have attributes that you can notice in the same way that physical objects in the world have attributes that make them distinctive.

Oh believe me, I'm going to do this out of sheer hatred for my own country and desire to fuck off and go full bugman in nippon, But honestly this is insane.

Does anyone have any ways to remember all the hiragana? I wrote them all down in a nice chart and can kinda piece them together if I look at said chart, but it just looks like a bunch of fucking scribbles. That said at least they look like scribbles with meaning, that's better than I was 2 hours ago.

umich.edu/~umichjlp/kana.html
This site shows you the stroke order, and also has sounds so you can listen to the reading.

realkana.com/
This is a quick and dirty flash card system which works well enough for kana. I talked a bit about it here , but my routine went like this:

There are a million ways to study, but that should get you started. Don't worry if you've gotten through all of them and still feel a little shaky; you'll commit them to memory very quickly once you start studying grammar or vocabulary and read them a million times.

Have fun; hopefully passing this initial challenge will inspire you.

Just do realkana until you have >90% accuracy and >1000 correct. Do that every 3-4 hours for two days you'll be basically there.

Pretty much. It doesn't take more than a weekend to grind out kana.

Of course you will still need to practice reading a lot to be able to recognize them instantly.

I think I might give this a shot soon and I want to thank you guy(s) for putting this up :)

YOU CAN'T LEARN JAPANESE

YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE
PUT YOUR GLASSES ON
NOTING WILL BE WONG

That's why you need to make yourself begin to think in the language, instead of only using it when you need to.
or find a place online to speak with japs

Do this:

I'm a Germanfag. Here we start to learn english as a secondary language in 3-4th grade. I had one of the worst english skills in my class when i was 5th grade. Then my parents bought me a PC together with an Internet connection, and because most videogame sites/forums at that time were still in english i was forced to browse and understand them. Also i started playing Runescape and heavily used the chat in it, only having Google translate open in case i didn't know a word. After a while i even learned more advanced grammar automatically. I never even thought about "i want to learn english", i simply wanted to understand others.
This way, within like 3 months i had better english skills than my Brother who was in high school. Probably the best method without traveling to another country.

Does anyone else know what this is?

English truly will be the language of the goy before whites are exterminated

Kek.
English is more or less the international main language, it's rather useful in case you need to use it, especially for international business and traveling. In high-school people here even learn a third language like Latin, French or Spanish. Nothing wrong with being able to speak multiple languages.

Learning english like that might be a bit easier because it uses the same letters so you can figure out shit easier.
English is also my second language, and I learned that continue means to continue something and other kinds of verbs thanks to games.

(HH)
That's a meme language.

I just made a hashbrown pizza. How japanese is this? Is it good studying food?

That's fucking disgusting. How much do you weigh, user?

I need a sensei.
I can't learn this shit by myself.
I sort of know the following symbols:
あいうえお
かきくけこ
さしすせそ
Thats..that's about it and I forget them a lot…I've been doing this for 3 weeks..

It's only about two grated fried potatoes, two tablespoons of tomato sauce, two ounces of cheese with a few pepperonis. It's pretty much my breakfast and lunch, possibly dinner.
One time I made a PB&J Ramen sandwich and It wasn't that bad.

Well, you've heard of namasensei, right? He's all you'll ever need.

y tho

Morbid curiosity.

Nothing
No.

You are a lardass.

Havent you ever used ramen noodles as a substitute for bread because you ran out of bread?

user, did you give your lifes savings to the college jew?

jesus christ, dude.

What the fuck?
How would you ever run out of bread but NOT out of ramen? How much of that fucking garbage do you eat?

That's not how you spell obesity.

Bread was molded, too crazy and stupid to not try it.

It's not like I eat shit like that regularly, that was a one time deal. My sister ate toothpaste and earthworms and she's skinny as a twig.

user, I don't think you should reproduce.

Yeah no fucking shit.

What kind of fucked family do you have?

Never planed on 3DPD anyway.

It was a game of truth or dare. Don't tell me that you never had fun and did stupid stuff as a teenager before.

Nigger I don't give a shit if it was a TRIPLE DOG DARE. I still wouldn't eat earthworms

What if it was a ==QUADRUPLE DOG DARE== ? You can't turn that shit down, or else your a pussy.

Fuckin' weebs.

her philtrum is distinct tho

Could someone lend me a hand here? I'm trying to figure out what Kaguya (the girl with the hime cut) is saying in these two pages.

That sounds to me like an implied threat (Only think about me, or else you'll break), but the overall comic has Kagura being appreciative and friendly so that seems way out of character. It almost feels to me like she's saying something like, "You're only thinking of me, and if you don't do otherwise (I'm worried) that will break you," but then I worry that maybe that's just me taking preconceived notions of her character and trying to twist her words to fit that, if that makes sense?

Anyway, if someone could lend a hand I'd be grateful.

こらつ! 危ないでしょう
"Hey! It's dangerous, you know"
。。。て
今は私のことだけ考えて
"…But, right now my words are only thoughts"
She may be implying that she wants her to wait and listen to what she has to say

Some headpatting in the next panel, then
でないと永琳がこわれてしまう
"Without Nagarin I'll break down and die"
あなたのことだけ考えるわ
"Your words (will remain) only thoughts"
Maybe, she's softly trying to tell her, "Look, I appreciate your concern but I don't want to hear it"

Take this all with a grain of rice cause I'm still learning myself and I'm not sure if this is right.

Eirin. She's saying, "Without Eirin I'll break down and die"

"Right now, only think about me."

"If not, Eirin will break." (don't really get this part without context)

"Right now, and always, I am only thinking of you."

Oh and 嘘つき! is "Liar!"

Oops, I just realized you were asking about the same part I don't get either. I figured it was related to the rest of the comic or the 2hu backstory of those girls, if not then I am stumped as well.

what's up DUDES
can you guys hook me up with some mangos to read, there used to be a huge list in the OP of ones having anons rated
pic related is a good anime imo

what

何?

何やってんだお前ら

何もしてない…

ノリが悪い奴ね

ok now but really though, where do go for mangoes in JP

You can probably find everything you want on nyaa.se. For deciding on what you want to read, I don't know. Look through 2chan, maybe? You could also just read doujins on sadpanda.

I do that a lot to begin with, to the point I sometimes get stuck on how to say things in English because they're not quite right to the Japanese thought I had.

I talk with some of the Japs in the message board system of the pornographic card game I play

No idea what those are, but I get the listening everytime I leave the house anyway.

Pretty much what I do as is.

Gonna need a little more context to be fair, since it's obvious Kaguya's upset about something. Seems relationship related.

If anything I'm getting the opposite - "For now just think of only me, if not (I'm worried) you'll break." Basically it's either there's some other problem going on that Eirin's worried about that Kaguya doesn't want her to dwell on, or Eirin's banging someone else behind Kaguya's back.

If I understand correctly, you live in Japan. At that point, I'd say you just need to make more friends. Ask a lot of questions about them; your desire to expand your vocabulary should make up for any lack of interest you may have in the subject.

Yeah.

Honestly I'm just too much of a misanthrope to bother, anytime I'm out doing socializing shit I'm just thinking of how far behind I am on my backlog

tomorrow marks the day I really begin Kanji. I've spent the past 11 days studying radicals with a speed of 20 new cards a day, which means I should have the standard 2136 Kanji done by mid August. I'm not working to have these things perfectly memorized, my goal is simply to be familiar with them enough that when I begin Core 2k/6k, I have a pretty decent foundation to work with

Do you feel like you can't express yourself to the people you speak with?

Outside of situations like doing my taxes not really, but I'm sure my word choice at times is unnatural (best parallel I can think of is something like "I went to the grocery market" where any English speaker will know exactly what you mean but will still know you're not a native speaker.)

I'd say there's no reason you can't start Core 2k/6k now; the great thing about the deck is that it includes audio readings as well as example sentences, so you can practice listening comprehension even if you don't recognize the kanji being used.

I can see how that can be frustrating. I know I said you should ask other people a lot of questions, but conversation can be very tiring if you can't talk about yourself. People have a need to be heard, even if only for a little bit.

Are you concerned about how other people view you?

you're probably right, but I would prefer to have a working familiarity with the Kanji before I jump in to vocab and grammar and I don't mind the time investment

Kodansha's Kanji Learner's Course deck: ankiweb.net/shared/info/779483253

try this kanji deck

I've never really felt that way, but then I just don't like conversation to begin with.

As long as it doesn't lead to problems like being viewed as a pedophile or something, I don't care too much.

Welcome to Burnoutville. Population: you. Trying to straight memorize kanji without context is the fastest, easiest way to get frustrated and stop trying to learn the language because it's the single worst way to remember them. You have to learn kanji and vocabulary together because it gives the kanji context, which helps it stay in long term memory. Find a manga, LN, VN, or game that interests you, and use that to learn kanji and vocabulary at the same time.

At any rate, you language development will be stunted without actively talking to people. If becoming more proficient in Japanese is your goal, then you'll have to do it regardless of your feelings. You may find you enjoy talking to people more than you think.

like I said, I'm not trying to memorize them. I simply want a working familiarity. I already developed a working familiarity of the radicals specifically so that learning the kanji would be easier than without knowing radicals. during this time when I develop my familiarity, I do not bother using recall type cards.
honestly, I never had a specific reason to start learning moonrunes yet I'm still at it a month later and still have nothing of worth to show for it. this doesn't bother me and I don't think I will burn out. the simple act of having anki on my desktop will be enough to remind me that I have cards to go through and I don't want to fuck up my Anki repetitions.
after saying something like that, I'm sure you all will think I'm destined to burn out, but I really do think that Anki telling me I have cards due is enough to motivate me

That's definitely true.

Considering that's basically what I do for a living to begin with? Not a chance.

Just trust me on this; I'm in a similar place in my life with very few people I can talk to, and I have to force myself to socialize. I'm almost always glad that I did when it's over, even if I felt like I didn't want to.

Oh, I don't doubt that it's necessary if I want to be able to speak the language myself as opposed to just reading/typing/hearing, I just spend 40 hours a week doing the socializing shit already and I want to spend what precious few hours I have left working through shit like SRW and Gundam Breaker

What sort of work do you do? Assuming you teach English, can you talk to your Jap colleagues during your lunch break?

Maybe once a week pop down to your local izakaya, grab a drink and chat with the regulars?

English teaching, yeah. I usually go home to cook and eat during my break, and the one actual Japanese there speaks better English than I do Japanese, so inevitably conversation flows into that at some point.

Maybe at some point though I don't drink

It's fine as long as he isn't trying to learn the readings.

In fact, I recommend learning the kanji before anything else, even though that take a lot of time.

yeah I'm holding off on learning the readings since even the few others who learned kanji first recommended that I wait until I start Core

When I started out, I learned the meanings for all the jouyou kanji during my first six months or so. This was all while doing grammar/textbooks/etc… as normal. It was super-super helpful for me. When I started learning vocab proper, I was able to identify and remember words much easier because I could understand the meanings of the kanji in them to some degree. Then over time as I did vocab I naturally picked up on readings because you see the same kanji get pronounced in certain ways again and again.

Keep at it, user.

Learning a mix of related kanji and vocabulary is definitely the best way to go about it. Having some familiarity with them beforehand certainly would make it easier to learn them but it's time better spent just achieving a more practical knowledge of them instead.

In August with some familiarity of the jouyou kanji you'll be able to point to a kanji and say to your friends, "the keyword I use to denote this kanji is _" But learning vocabulary with it, in August you could have say 1000 kanji and 1000 vocabulary down. You'd be encountering a lot of unknown words you'd have to look up, but it's more than enough that you could be enjoying easier material in the language, which would give an unquestionable boost to your learning capabilities. Those 1000 kanji and 1000 vocabulary are a better foundation for learning Japanese than the 2000 kanji are. But good luck anyway whichever way you decide to go about it.

This is probably not good at all for my retention.

DO IT

There is no way for repetition to be bad

It's never good to miss a day. Just make sure you fully catch up before they pile up too much.

I haven't missed anything, just doing two days worth of work without sleeping is bad. It's because my sleep schedule is screwed, and I can't sleep well because the damned sun shines in my room so brightly.

At least I had a productive day today. Will probably go listen to some Nip streamers until I pass out.

Glorious Nippon.

S-sauce?

Reminder that you must first experience the pain of failure before you can attain the exhilaration of success. Don't get upset when you forget a word, or get the meaning or pronunciation wrong, or mix words up. It's all a part of the process. When those mistakes happen, take it as an opportunity to learn, rather than an opportunity to berate oneself for your ineptitude. You're a person, not a fucking robot, and unless you're a genius level savant (pro tip: you aren't), you're not going to learn everything so quickly and easily and without concerted effort and a good attitude.

This, so fucking this. The mistakes I've fucking made in learning…

Not to mention that nobody has a perfect command of any language. Even in English you forget a word sometimes or say the wrong one. そのうえ俺のチンコはでかいんだよ。

dunno, sorry

A reminder that the nukes didn't do shit; this is just classic 日本.

ナイスですね~

Never forget the brave men who lost their lives during the great fart war of 1810.
;_;7

I found this in the DJG entry for わけ

Forgetting about わけ which my head has decided it isn't going to comprehend today, I don't understand how も can be used like this; none of the entries for も in the DJG have any examples of it being used like this unless I'm totally blind. If someone could point out which も I'm supposed to be looking as in the DJG: core6000.neocities.org/dojg/ I would be grateful, because right now the closest I can comprehend the first sentence is as "Are you studying Japanese for three hours every day already?".

Should help you?

It helps. Not really related but I'm starting to hate how vague for the sake of politeness some aspects of Japanese are, especially the "do you maybe not perhaps think it's possible we could not maybe not go out for no dinner?" shit.

I'm a non-confrontational spaghetti lord, so it suits me just fine.

Holy shit.

Yeah, I see the appeal of their indirect way of phrasing things.

tfw I am getting decent at reading but I can't write or speak for shit

You won't cement your knowledge until you can produce it from memory. Better get on that speaking and writing practice before you start forgetting things.

I am pretty good at pronunciation but I can't read or write for shit. At least you can comprehend the language.

Are there any videogames in Latin?
Also reminder that this is what Uderzo thinks of nips

Today's phrase is:
毎日練習するのが必要なんですよ。
This means:
"DO YOUR FUCKING REPS"

今に見ていろ、ハニワ幻人、全滅だ!

I have always been terrible at reading the kanji in super free handwriting/calligraphy like that. There was an izakaya I went to in Tokyo a lot and the owner would write the menu every day with a calligraphy brush. I could never read her damn writing.

Looks like it says 俺がやらなきゃ誰かやる. "If I don't do it, someone else will"?

It does, too. I got so hung up trying to decipher 俺 that I didn't read the rest and get it via context.

I have a question: How do you drop the copula and add suffix particles and make sentences that are still valid? For example, this is a polite way to ask the time:
今、何時ですか?
Now, I know a more casual way is to just drop です
今、何時?
but I don't understand why the casual way drops the か particle and relies on an upward inflection to emphasize that you are asking a question. Why is that? Can't you say 今、何時か? or does a suffix particle always need an accompanying copula?

My understanding is you can add か in a casual sentence. But it generally gives the impression more of a rhetorical question.
Dropping it in casual speech is similar to in English where "Are you going to the park?" becomes "You going to the park?" if you're speaking with your friends.

Output practice is a waste of time when you want to remember things. Just continue to read and listen to Japanese productions. You'll eventually want to write or speak later on once you've familiarized with the language. This may take 6 months, a year, or 2 years but you'll eventually will become confident enough to write and speak.

Translating a lewd comic and there's a sign here in the band club room that's only half visible. It seems to be lots of reminders "don't do this", "remember to do this properly", etc…
I'd prefer to have a slightly more educated guess before I fill in the sign. Anyone have any better ideas than mine?

I wouldn't even worry about it tbh.

The shimau on the third line I think is 仕舞う, which means something along the lines of "finish up"

Even though I don't do a ton of it, I feel practicing writing has contributed well to my ability to recognize handwritten/calligraphic stuff.

It is but it's being used to mean put away (put back where stuff belongs) or clean up, not finish.

Due to real life circumstances, I took a month or so break from anki and all studying. I'm finally getting myself back into the swing of things, but now ITH is refusing to hook properly into this VN I'm trying to read. It's skipping kana, kanji, and sometimes entire lines at random and I can't figure out why.

I'm so fucking demoralized right now.

Why do you need a text hooker?

Because it has no/little furigana and I'm bad at nip.

Reminder that the process of demoralization is complete and irreversible.

Just power through it and you'll learn a lot more than relying on a text hooker or furigana.

This shit is beyond my level without the text hooker. My vocabulary is pisspoor.

I can't just divine the reading/meaning of words I've never seen before, you know? Unless the word uses super common kanji, or something.

Text hooker makes it easier to input into a dictionary. What is the problem with this?

Yes, that sounds like a golly good time. Instead of using a text hooker, which automatically pulls the words for automated dictionary lookup, I should slowly and painstakingly do it manually, instead.

This sounds like a very efficient and fun strategy and not at all flow-breaking. Thank you for your sagacious wisdom.

It actually is more efficient if you want to learn.

You're gonna have one hell of a time trying to convince me with that argument. Hope you've got the devils tongue.

You're not making any sense.
How is this any less efficient than
?

Dunno what's so complicated about this concept.

He didn't even mention Anki. If he was already practicing vocab in an Anki deck then there is even less need for a text hook.

Because every word is already in an anki deck? Do you disapprove of rikaisama's anki import as well? You're being stupid and you should stop.

It's worse when you actually break the individual steps down. "Take word," for instance, is a hell of a slow process if you have no idea how to read the jukugo on your screen. You can't type it, you can't just copy it out of some prearranged window; you have to write each individual kanji in some program/site then string them together for later pasting into a dictionary. A lengthy process, especially compared to on-hover definitions and whatnot. I can't imagine the retarded thought process that finds this somehow more efficient than automating that step, or any others.

Overall, doing everything by hand is slow and unfun, which is definitely not the place you want to be when you're trying to learn.

While not efficient to enjoyable reading, it can be efficient to learning. Making a conscious effort to write out the individual kanji you don't know can certainly be of benefit your memory of them. I would say it's good to do if you don't find yourself having to look up a ton of kanji, but if constant unknown encounters are sapping your motivation then a hooker could be a good idea.

Personally, I don't like relying too much on the ease of on hover J>E definitions as I feel I often end up focusing more on the English counterpart and continuing to read than on committing the Japanese word to memory. I'm sure that may be different for other people though.

It's also more efficient to enjoyable reading in the long run, since you don't develop a dependency for external programs or furigana to help you.

No, of course I know that. Everyone knows that. But there's a time and place for these things.

When you're trying to read and using it to practice grammar, general reading skill, and picking up unfamiliar and new vocabulary, you certainly don't want to frequently stop just to write and input words, or try to commit everything about them to memory right then and there. That comes later, once you get around to putting them into anki, and reviewing, supplemented with seeing those same words again and again in varied context as you continue to read over the days.

That is a danger I'm familiar with, but personally the thought of forcibly breaking the flow of whatever I'm reading to do some word crunching is a hell of a lot worse. You can adequately compensate on everything else later with Anki. That way, you can read easy, while still "properly" breaking down any words you see. Just a bit later, when you're not actively trying to read something.

Downloaded that for people

Nice.

If I may ask, why not make a list of the words you encounter that you do not know and look them up once you reach a stopping point rather than look them up while you're doing what you're doing?

That's exactly what I'm saying. But at the same time, you can't just continue to read without knowing those words at all. So you hover over, get a quick definition, and keep on. Then once you're done, you go add every new vocab to anki nice and proper-like, and continue to review from there over the days by seeing the words repeatedly as you do anki and continue to read further.

The only contention we've had in this string of conversation is the guy saying it's 'more efficient' to stop everything right then and there and manually look shit up, each time, rather than automating the 'look-up' part of things.

The obvious argument here is that if you need to look up so many words that you require a text hooker to not totally kill your flow, you should probably be reading something easier. What are you trying to read?

I can learn Japanese, but can I fuck that girl who says I can't?

sure

**no

fug

That's too true. I have no counter argument. I'm just a picky piece of shit who hates reading nukige and other low-tier garbage that'd be more appropriate for my reading level.

I was trying to read this. It just came out and it seemed pretty up my alley. No bully if it's easy. I'm rusty as HELL.

I wouldn't call it hard, but it's certainly not the easiest thing you could have picked. At least based on my experience with LC2 anyway. It did just come out though, so assuming your text hooker still works with older VNs, that's probably why it's shitting itself on this one.

(nice dubs)
Yeah, it's not easy going for me, but it's not mindbreaking. I actually (finally) managed to find the proper h-code pretty recently, which fixed 95% of the text hooking issues I had, so I'm chugging along nicely now. All is good with the world.

(nice dubs)

Sorry, little off-topic, but would anyone happen to have a Japanese billing address? I don't care what building it is, I just need this information so I can download some Japanese apps.

no

Newb here, what does the tiny o and e mean?

It's an あ and I'm pretty sure they're just used to elongate a vowel sound for effect. so it's sort of like naaaaaaaaaaaani koreeeeeeee

Right that is an A sound, I'm on a silly small screen.
And thanks for the explanation.

At least for hiragana that's true. For katakana they have a specific usage.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Katakana_table_extended

Hey gaijin, you think you can read this word: 外連?
Too bad, it's pronounced
けれん
because fuck u!

And what about 外道?

人、それを・・・「げどう」と言う!

youtu.be/fbSfPg1jnxs?t=92

Yes, it is true, there are words that have Kanji that are pronounced in different ways.
毎年 is both まいねん and まいとし
this 年 Kanji is sometimes pronounced the same as this word 都市 but they mean two different things. It's not as bad as English, which is inconsistent as fuck. In English, there are words that are spelled differently, but sound the same, and have different meanings, like "peace" and "piece". Then there are words that you think should be pronounced a certain way, but they aren't because fuck you, like "food", which has a double "o" that sounds like a short "u" sound, like the Japanese [う], but then you'll see a word like "wood" which uses the same double "o" but this time they're pronounced with an elongated "o" sound.

Asian countries in general like to jerk themselves off about how hard their languages are, but compared to the bullshit in english, it's nothing but image recognition and learning very consistent rules for grammar and pronunciation.

Most of my students seem to have this problem.

Agreed I just wanted an excuse to post Rom Stol quotes

Here's a, childish, way that I found helps remembering them. The strokes for ツ are up, up, down. Meanwhile シ's strokes are down, down, up. How this plays in is that you can remember it ツ like it's a sneeze. Pretty much "Ah (up), ah (up), ツ/tsu (down)."

Does that help anyone?

All the strokes in ツ are written starting from the higher point downward.

I didn't really use a mnemonic for them, just differentiated by more left to right and up to down strokes. I think that is a pretty great one though.

Stroke order literally doesn't matter. Quit wasting brain power on it.

After learning Kana, would it be best to start learning radicals?

Also, should it make me feel better that even Japanese people have trouble with Kanji?

Does it make you feel better that the average adult can't write proper English? Should we all use textspeak?

It makes me feel better that I can read and write better than most of the people around me.

the benefit of learning radicals is that it helps you learn kanji. I went the route of learning radicals then independent Kanji, and I am finding that the radicals really help me understand and retain this shit. according to my anki statistics, I press 'again' less often on new kanji than I did with radicals, so its obviously working. however, you should know that this path means you will be focusing on fundamentals instead of vocab.
that just sounds like a convenient excuse to give up, you gotta push yourself user

On the contrary, I'm using it as an reason to make myself better than 3DPD Japanese girls by learning Kanji.

I didn't study radicals extensively, though I did briefly spend time looking at KanjiDamage. I realized that other people have already taken the liberty of compiling dictionaries that utilize radicals as a method of organization. My method is simple; I learn vocabulary, and then when I'm learning stroke order for each new Kanji that comprises a new word, I will search for said Kanji in a multi-radical dictionary (like KanjiDamage) and briefly observe the radicals that comprise it. In this way, I can familiarize myself with radicals alongside vocabulary. You don't have to do this, but I think it would also be helpful to simultaneously learn numerous words that use a specific Kanji. In this way, you can familiarize yourself with its stroke order, its radicals, and the different readings that it may have.

貴様に名乗る名はない!!

シャキーン

剣狼よ!勇気の雷鳴を呼べ!

Also perfect file name

tell me if i'm wrong
Ah~! Takeshi-kun?

Correct

豕-This is the Kanji for pig
宀-This is the Kanji for roof
Together, they make "家 ", which means house.
Pig+Roof=House
Am I understanding this right?

Yes. Pig roof is house.

宀 is a radical, but yeah 家 means house/family.
Don't get too caught up trying to make literal sense out of how the radicals combine to make kanji. In a lot of cases they've drifted from their original meaning or the kanji itself has become simplified over time. Remembering 家 as "when you give a pig a roof, he has a house" is good for remembering when you first start out. But the Japanese aren't thinking in the back of their minds at all times that houses are pigs with roofs over them or anything.

I'm trying to read the Yotsuba reading pack and I notice a lot of stuff uses slurred words so it's harder to tell what grammar phrases are being used. Is there something I can use for reading practice instead that has more standard grammar spelling so I can grow more accustomed to it before I go into slurred words used as slang?

You never know, they just might be.

You're probably better off going with a textbook or something for a bit in that case.
I've read the first two yotsuba books and I seem to recall there wasn't anything too crazy. Mostly just the common things like じゃない becoming じゃねぇ; which makes sense if you sound them both out. Or そういう becoming そーゆー; which again, is just how そういう generally comes out if you're not trying to enunciate everything.

Alright, I just I'll just have to re-read Tae Kim if I want practice with standard spelling.

Yotsubato is the basics of the basics of 'slang.' If you're having trouble with the things presented there, then you can't.

You can't "yet." He'll learn, give him time.

It's not giving me too much trouble, my autism just wants to see things spelled correctly so they're easier to identify right away. I'm able to tell they're slurred, so that alone shows that I'm not hopeless.

Best give up that sort of autism boyo, or you're going to limit yourself to >1% of all Japanese media ever. Every single word in Yotsubato is everyday normal Japanese.

I never said I was going to avoid slang forever, in fact I said the opposite.

The best show.
I love the old clips where they went around having to order things while saying them slightly wrong. And アイスコーヒー slowly morphs into アイロンヒーロー.

ええよな、ホンマに

What is that show?

ダウンタウンのガキの使いやあらへんで!
Usually just abbreviated to ガキの使い (gaki no tsukai).
Highly recommend watching the New Years specials they do. Gives you exposure to kansai-ben and a really funny show.

I decided to finally put my moonrunes to the ultimate test, and started playing Zero no Kiseki.

Fuck 5 kanji vocabulary, but besides that I think I'm doing alright. I'm putting the really stupid shit in a spreadsheet for reference so I know what the fuck is what for later.

is this game mostly hiragana and Kanji?

キ is き?

Though just multiple words combined, the longest string of kanji I can remember seeing was "王国親衛師団第二特務親衛隊隊長" in ロッテのおもちゃ! I've seen more of similar length but it was my first longer chain so I remember it well.

おうこくしんえいしだんだいにとくむしんえいたいたいちょう looks much worse. It's a lot easier to read in kanji after learning some of the more common compounds like 王国, 第二, 隊長.

>>>/wv/

That's a lot of links in the OP. How many of them are actually useful, assuming I know nothing of this language?

All of them are useful to some degree, but here is a good place to start.
docs.google.com/document/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#

勉強する!

勉強は終りだ、だからビデオゲームをしている

そうか。日本語のゲイムですか?どんなのゲイムですか?

あいつじゃねぇけど、おりゃ今ガンブレ3やってるんだ。

いえ、 ゲームはアメリカの商品です
写真を見えな

限界まで押せぞ!

yay

いや、ゲームはほとんど日本の物だから、別ボードを作ると言うなら、洋ゲーボードの方が自然だろう?

バンプ~

just realized we're past the bump limit

Would anyone else like to join me in mourning the loss of sukebei?
(´;ω;`)

They've already got a backup running, バカ
sukebei.pantsu.cat/

from what I had read, that isn't up to date, unless they've got it completely updated

う、うわあぁ
スレが....