Swimming in videogames

Is there a single videogame where swimming controls and water-based levels aren't a pain in the fucking ass?

Why are they always so shit, and has there been a game that made swimming anything besides a painful experience?

I like water levels in Donkey Kong Country games, also

As for 3D games, can't think of one.

2D games have it easy in this department, since you don't gain a new dimension to move in when you enter water.

Best casual filter of all fucking time. I LMAO at every faggot that was too big a shitter to make it through the water temple

Nigger it was the most fun in the entire game.

Primal

Spyro 2/3 had good swimming mechanics for the most part, thanks to the charge attack making you swim fast.

Duke Nukem 3D had cool water segments in its levels.

Zora form was pretty cool. The egg fetch quest was worse than the bug hunts in Twilight Princess.

Vertical movement is still a pain.

Yes but that was mostly in human form.

I sure love going to the inventory and sitting through cutscenes and unskippable animations every 2 seconds because the levels are designed to make you switch back and forth between shit you don't have enough hotkeys for constantly, and play stupid animations that you can't speed through. Zelda dungeons are neat, but in practice they're too often a pain in the ass to play through.

I played through Majora's Mask recently and holy fuck I got tired of the fucking transformation masks and songs. You need to use them constantly but then also equip weapons unless you want to get raped by some homosexual bats or dragonflies or something, and you may also want to use the bunny hood a lot of the time.

Only if you don't need to touch/interact with anything next to you or be near any kind of walls.

Transformation mask animations are skippable, and on a button so you don't have to switch to the menu to activate it. They also made the menu faster.

Also can I speak nicely about Skywards Sword for a minute, for letting you climb ladders and vines super-fast, as well as having the 8-way item selection menus that don't pause the game?

Fair point but it's in the part where you get Zora form and, in general there's not enough opportunity to use it in the game.

git gud cuckold. niggers like you have no place playing video games

I only figured that out after the wood temple, but it's still frustrating to use one of the only 3 available spots for that shit and the cutscene still takes a couple seconds even if you spam to skip it.

I played the n64 version, maybe they improved it for the NDS or whatever new version.

The boss design in that game is also the worst I've seen in any game, every single boss is fucking retarded in one or all ways. I think they redesigned/replaced most of them in the updated version though.

Monster Hunter does it pretty okay.

I normally fucking hate water levels but the level in Tomb Raider II where you go diving for some shipwreck was one of my favorite parts of the game, so I guess I'll pick that one.
>the part where you're chased by a great white while trying to find a way into the wreck

Pic related.

Turtle my ass!

In Mario Sunshine and 3D World games you just get a "go up" and "go down" button when in water. Works well enough.

I love underwater exploration but too few games offer any kind of it.
I actually liked it in the Elder Scrolls games
Also
Always avoided water after that in hl1

I think the original Tomb Raiders had pretty good swimming. Most games get swimming wrong for some reason.

I don't usually have problems with swimming controls since I expect it to be different than fucking walking, mostly what sucks is how retarded some games make the camera behave underwater.

Maybe in the 3DS version that shit is fun af

You just posted it.

The Zora mask actually enhances the way that you move. That's how swimming should be done.

Wew
It does it so okay it was in one game only and nobody's clamoring for its return.

The underwater combat was actually better in tri vanilla than 3g. When there were dedicated ascend and descend buttons it was actually pretty fun.

This shit right here is pretty good nigger. Of course you do play as a dolphin and the entire game is based on the ocean. I think in most games like open world sandbox shit it's developed as a padder instead of something that ties into gameplay.

Subnautica

Bullshit. It was just like every other Zelda dungeon, long, tedious, and boring. I bet you think desert bus is a casual filter too.

Crazy Bus is a better casual filter.

GTA V had great swimming.

it was alright in mario 64. at least, they never pissed me off. i used to dislike them until i got the timing down for maximum swimming speed.

i honestly never understood why the water temple was said to be particularly frustrating. maybe i was motivated by the prospect of fish pussy and was able to actually focus.

Because binding controls for unrestricted 3D movement is hard as fuck.

I hate water in games too, but to be honest, I am afraid of water in real life. Honestly, water can suck my dick. It's fucking dark, you can't see what's in it, it can kill you. It sucks both in real life as well as in games.

It was the iron boots. You had to go in the menu to use them instead of normal items and it was how you "swim". The constant going back-and-forth between the menus gets old and slows the game to a crawl. Shadow temple has the same issue with the hover boots, but nowhere near as bad.

i liked the underwater combat.
It wasn't AMAZAH 10/10 IGN
But have you ever tried swinging a giant sword underwater, in full armour? i'd be hard.
So, it had a sense of realism in the combat.
i hope it makes a return, i really like ocean vistas and water based monsters.

Subnautica just had an update for the Cyclops sub, and UI.