Why can't more games be this thought out? Is it perfect? No but fuck me is it close...

Why can't more games be this thought out? Is it perfect? No but fuck me is it close. It's just amazing how everything is put together. The music is fucking great too.

One of the only good things to come out of Kikestarter. Not to mention it never succumbed to DLC money grabbing and even put out free content updates.

Other urls found in this thread:

random.org/coins/
sites.google.com/site/broguegame/home
twitch.tv/billy1kirby/videos/all
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We need more games like this. The only one related enough worth mentioning is star sector. I couldn't get into it, but there needs be more creative space vidya like this.

something something kill yourself

Try Steamworld Heist, it's completely different genre but it has the same well-thought-out feel and it's just as enjoyable, no replayability though.

Hi, nu/v/

I missed that game on Humble Bundle a little while back. So sad.

Here's your (you)

Summerfag Holla Forums actually. Boards' currently suffering from a refugee crisis right now. Just warning you.

No, I don't want a fucking (You). Why do you keep giving (You)'s to dumbasses like that. Keep them to yourself.

It's definitely a well concieved game that had a fair bit of thought put into it. Too bad that it's procedurally generated trash.

looks like they're working on a new game

this looks way less fun. They should just work on expanding ftl and calling it a sequel.

post comfy webms that use ftl songs. I swear the game is comfy af

Looks like a terrible idea

would be a cool mobile game

Why can't more games be this thought out? Is it perfect? No but fuck me is it close. It's just amazing how everything is put together. The music is fucking great too.

Some people are able to do multiple playthroughs on hard without losing. So that's saying something.

You just suck user.

Maybe some people just don't like the concept of random number generation at all and you're overly-defensive? I see this point raised in defense of FTL pretty frequently and I'm never impressed. Your favorite let's player aside, can YOU do multiple playthroughs on hard without losing?

Not in a row, but I usually have pretty good outcomes.

I actually like rolling dice in real life. The clickity clack is just utterly orgasmic. Cum every time.

huh, they did a gdc talk

It's boring repetitive bullshit. I tried it for hours and couldn't find an ounce of fun in it.

RNG garbage

These people are boring casual twats who want video games to play the same every time.

This. I saw this thread and thought it might be fun to play a round, and holy hell I forgot how awful it is. In the third system I encountered a ship with 3 shields and all I had was my 3 burst laser, so I couldn't do any damage. The other ship also has missiles and could bypass my shields dealing direct damage. Seriously what kind of game makes it so you just can't deal damage to your opponent at all?

Go play Star Sector.

So what do rng-haters play?

It's not even just RNG, it's RNG pushed to the max bullshit. I have 400+ hours in TBoI and couldn't get more than 8 from FTL. Because in TBoI you can usually win your runs with skill if RNG doesn't shine on you, but in FTL one bad dice roll ends it all, or leaves you in such a sorry state that you're hopeless.

Is that why some guy has like 20 win streak in it?

I can get a 20 win streak at pachinko, doesn't mean I caused it.

Go ahead.

It's not the RNG, it's the fact the RNG in FTL replaces any need for skill to the point the game is literally just a dice roll.

Poor RNG roll in any other game: Player isn't completely fucked and can still get by using skills they've acquired through playing (albeit with inferior equipment).

Poor RNG roll in FTL: You're completely fucked and the final boss fight is unwinnable without decent weapons.

Give me enough time and I could.

Go ahea

Here, see how long it takes to get 20 heads or tails in a row. random.org/coins/

d.

Bemp for actually good game thread.

I'm hugely fond of games centered around managing and dominating a powerful RNG. This and Darkest Dungeon come to mind.

Anything else that really forces you to get deep into it to be able to shit in Fortuna's face?

better stay away from TOME and ADOM. you might learn a thing or two about risk management and find out there's people who can routinely beat FTL with only the rare RNG death roll

Git gud fuckwit. Always carry missiles, carry anti-missile drones.

Odds of striking 20 heads in a row is the same as odds of rolling specific number on a dice with 2^20 sides on it - slightly less than 1 in a million. After 1 000 000 rolls the odds of never taking 20 heads in a row is less than 35% and ever more rapidly decreasing. If you flip a coin once a second, continuously, it'll take a month to do 1 million flips, 8 hours a day.

My smuggest isn't smug enough for this.

If people are able to play this game just fine, but you suck at it, maybe it's because you suck at it?

The fact that perfect play can range between "You dominate the galaxy nd nothing can stop you" and "You're a bitch of the most basic ass pirates because we decided not to give you any tools to succeed" makes it unplayable to me. I've beaten it once, put it away. Just not enjoyable. Give me something like Flinthook, Gungeon, BoI, etc, where I can beat the game with the starting loadout with enough skill instead of something that just says "Try to get enough pulls on the roulette to get lucky and call it skill"

There's nothing wrong with shitty rolls, sometimes you just have to accept that the world decided to take a shit at you and tough through it. Games of pure skill become boring very quickly because it can be sharpened to very fine edge very quickly. Unless it's motor skill, and even minute variations can make a difference, in which case there's hardly a limit.

Some examples of skill-based games you've mastered, or are you still speaking hypothetically?

Chess.

You can get shit-ass rolls in the skill games I mentioned. Gungeon can shit on you and keep you in your basic weapon for several floors.
(Though, Gungeon's Coolness stat is a nice way to reward strong, skillful play by granting better drops as you play better, and I do mean play better as in not take damage: There's almost 0 items that make it so you don't actually have to dodge), Flinthook can totally fuck you with various difficult-to-navigate rooms that can end your run all on their own (hook-only segments fuck you) Binding Of Isaac can give you nothing but spacebar items…

The big difference between these is that if you're skilled at the game itself, you can mitigate these problems or ignore them outright. You literally cannot do that in FTL: Once the game decides you are fucked, you are fucked, and I really don't like that. It just ain't my jam and feels actually unfair.

There's a difference between a skill game and a solved game, nitwit.

Sounds about right.

Sure it's alright for a couple of hours or in small doses but perfect? Give me a break.

Chess is not a solved game you dumb shit. Tic-Tac-Toe is a solved game and for any position you can calculate optimal route. A human can't possibly fucking calculate chess, and a computer can half-decently play this game via sheer amount of brute force and pre-recorded scenarios lookup, the only computer that beat human players used same exact "strategy" except backed up by fuckhuge processing cluster with petabytes worth of data in it so it managed to do a better job in the time it was allowed to make a turn.

I'm not making an argument that it's a good game. I'm making an argument that you need to git gud.

Give a better alternative.

This thread got me in the mood to play a roguelike. Are there any good ones you guys recommend besides FTL?

Something more akin to Enter the Gungeon? I'm thinking about biting the bullet and buying it but there might be better out there. Flintlock seems ok too.

All time champ of the roguelikes for me is the binding of Isaac, but there's also nuclear throne and like you said enter the gungeon if you want something faster paced.

Vagante

It was okay for a while, but it's way too simple and you get fucked if you don't get lucky with scrap during the first few worlds.

What about Convoy? It's often compared to FTL.

I'm really not a fan of the RNG. Plus, I think it'd've done way better as a free-floating no goal game. Especially given that the only real challenge is the second and third jump, and the boss.
The boss shit, though, that's what really ruined this game for me. I've had times where I literally couldn't even fight the fucker, because I spawned on the wrong section of the randomly generated zone, and literally couldn't intercept the ship. But, most the time, I'll just take too much damage because I couldn't get exactly what I needed to defeat the thing while grinding the easy ships all over before said fight.

The game's trash. Not so much trash that it is irredeemable. Just trash enough that its potential shines through, causing a rather sharp glare of what could've been, thus ruining what we were given.

Played it. The large-scale strategy level is okay but the actual battles are boring as fuck.

It's a procedurally-generated twin-stick shooter reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Brogue
sites.google.com/site/broguegame/home

Mitigating the effects of bad luck is perfectly fine, but when you've got the only real challenge in the game coming at the very end, and entirely dependent on how lucky you were with your grind to be able to defeat the thing.

none of these are roguelikes, roguelites maybe

I don't hate RNG. In fact, I like a little bit of it. Something like Xcom always say well with me, even if it was a bit extreme in a lot of cases. Mitigating chances is part of tactics.
I just hate too much RNG, where the whole of the game is dependent on how lucky you are. And I really hate it when you combine that with an easy game over all, what ends up feeling more like a grind than any kind of fun adventure lot.

FTL would've better served as an RPG, incidentally. Rather disappointed they went with some dumb linear arcade style trash.

Holy fuck, nu-Holla Forums.
Go play Rogue Survivor and Unreal World. If you're such a fucking faggot that you can't wrap your head around basic roguelikes, go play DoomRL.

Also, if anyone here still thinks that FTL is "all RNG," take a look at the FTL videos by Billy Kirby. He's a pudgy autist who had a streak of 30+ wins on Hard mode, as well as wins without having to pause the game. He recorded them in 2015 or so, so you'll have to scroll back a bit if you really want to see them.

twitch.tv/billy1kirby/videos/all

Vagante

I already know about him.

Honestly watching him and playing some games myself, I am completly burned out of FTL now. I need something else.

I really haven't found a single roguelite other than FTL I enjoy. It's really a pity.

I don't want to control a single person or a party. Controlling a whole ship is what made FTL so exciting for me. Does anyone know games like that?

Where I control a village, a kingdom, a spaceship, pirateship, a little base, idk?

Overcoming bad odds on a roguelike is part of the fun, user. Even when you lose.
Looks like you have a severe case of gitgud-itis. Do you also go in dwarf fortress threads to complain about playing with aquifiers??

I wonder if I'm the only one who absolutely loathes the music in ftl