Why are japanese devs more comfortable with doing crossovers and collaborations

Why are japanese devs more comfortable with doing crossovers and collaborations.

there were times when western and jap devs collabed like having L4D characters in RE6 or having a spartan in DOA.

but the last western crossover i can think of where both IPs weren't owned by the same company was spyro being in crash twinsanity

also what are some other good collabs

People forgot how to have fun.

I can't think of two similar enough western franchises for a crossover to make sense as much as Akuma in Tekken.

Like most problems with copyright law, I'm going to assume it's Disney's fault.

Western companies still think their IPs matter, while Nips know their shit is in fact shit and consequently don't care.

Japs are less likely sue you for every single thing.

Good, I hate crossovers, they trigger my autism.

Oh, user, sweetie…

Don't you know how toxic Japan's culture is? We're simply not compatible with them anymore. I mean it's 2017, and they really need to grow up and get with the times.

But don't worry! They don't have anything worth crossing over with anyways. Everything you need is already right here :)

spyro and crash are both owned by universal studios sry fam

wait i just remembered a western one.

now i know why it doesn't happen

But how else are you supposed to see two of your favorite characters from different games fighting together or against each other?

Skyrim x Fallout crossover when

I don't want to see that, like I said it pains me. It's like "what if goku fought super man" I don't like it.

I know you're shitposting but you're reminding me of my aunt, who uses the "dahhhrling" thing over and over again and it makes me want to die.

Please stop.

If Goku fought Superman, it would be in an eating contest, and then Goku would get reamed out by Chichi because Superman has a respectable day job on top of his saving-the-world gig.

Anywho, the real reason we don't have crazygonuts crossovers in the US is because of
𝕯𝕴𝕰 𝕵𝖀𝕯𝕰𝕹!

Pretty much, all to keep that fucking mouse from becoming public domain.

I can see it,

Because it'd be damn near impossible to even tell the games had crossed over. Most major Western products are identical in appearance and offer similar garbage gameplay. Japanese devs don't view each other as competition to wipe out either, they see each other as rivals who they need to out perform and measure themselves against. It's a crucial difference. The west has an ideology of destruction or absorption. There is no room for competitors here.

Get a load of this cocksucker

Japanese devs understand that different types of games appeal to different people and that people can and usually do purchase games they're interested in independent of whether or not they've bought other games recently. They don't see an issue in things like Akuma in Tekken because they acknowledge that people who like both Street Fighter and Tekken will buy both games and one being good won't necessarily detract from people buying the other, same for the costumes in Gravity Rush and Dante in SMT.

Western devs, or probably more accurately western publishers, are more prone to seeing everything as competition for a limited pool of consumers and as such try and tie up as much of a buyers time in one franchise with multiplayer modes, DLC and that kind of retention based shit. Activision and Microsoft don't want to put Halo stuff in CoD and vice versa because they see both as competing for the same "FPS audience" and think anyone who buys CoD isn't also going to buy Halo so there's no merit in making a competitors game more appealing with a crossover. This doesn't hold true when you get down to the indie devs though who do shit like putting Shovel Knight in Yooka Laylee for a recent example.

Jak, Ratchet, and Sly had quite a few easter eggs to each other, but they didn't crossover until that PS move game with was probably shit

also Doom guy is playable in Quake

You have two very good reasons, user.

First one is that Western games prize too much the setting and tone they go for, crossovers ruin that for them.
Not to mention that pretty much most of AAA isn't even worth mentioning on it's own, let alone reference in another game.
And by this I don't just mean quality, I mean that you need overlaping playerbases to make references actually work.

For instance, Doom guy being playable in Quake makes sense, players of Doom will likely try Quake as well.
But a Space Marine showing up in Borderlands really wouldn't make sense, those playerbases don't interact or intersect at all.

Then you have a second but bigger issue: lawyers.
Do consider that Zenimax is more a lawyer firm than a videogame publisher who prefer to make money out of suing everyone and everything or making shady deals to enslave small studios.
Now consider the massive potential for legal ass rape there would be to have a character showing up in a game that is not owned by the other company. Imagine if you will that Telltale games made an NPC called Ulfric Stormcloak that is fighting against the Empire.
It wouldn't matter in what game he'd be placed, he could even just be a propaganda poster behind a secret wall, Telltale would still be sued by Zenimax.

Only way this could be avoided would be with several agreements between both companies that likely would involve paying royalties, something nobody wants to do since it's more costs for Dev time.

So basically, it's not worth the trouble to risk legal repercussions or "renting intelectual property" to make a cameo that your playerbase isn't likely to recognise anyway.

Because kikes love their copyrights.

To be fair, that's the bottom of the barrel as far as cross-game things go.
Even promotional TF2 hats are a step above that shit.

What Western games cross-over would you want Holla Forums?

Because they have iconic characters to cross over.

Because Japs actually think about what their fans want from their games while western devs just look at tweets made by mad feminists who don't actually play games and base their every action on it.

Serious Sam x Duke Nukem, made exclusively by Croteam.

Because western games lack personality. You can take any two western characters from any two western games, swap them and won't notice the difference.

Copyright law.

Because most crossovers these days are just devs shilling for other devs, see Payday 2.

A lot of people have answered the two main reasons correctly:
1 - westerners like to sue the fuck out of everything in order to "protect their IP." Western companies are paranoid about how their IPs are used and keep an iron fist clamped around it at all times. A great example of this is how Disney has banned any and all mention of slave Leia. Western publishers would be unwilling to let anyone else ever touch their IPs even if they were seeing 50% or more of the profit.
2 - westerners would be extremely unlikely to agree on a profit split. The publisher whose in house devs would be actually making the game would want the biggest piece of the pie, but the other company or companies would also want at least half the profits on the grounds that the project wouldn't exist without their IP.
Japan has neither of these problems. Companies are generally willing to work out a compromise on profit splits, and they don't see their IPs as sacred cows that everyone is looking to rape. Even companies that are in direct competition in the same market are willing to work together to make money. Pic related.

The entirety of Super Robot Wars.

Same reason there is no western dev name associated with any game.

Who is behind God of War? Who is behind Halo? CoD? Ass Creed? (yes they tried to pass it as Jade's work). And right there's the guy that did Gears of Wars but he's a wigger cocksucker.

asian jews only care about money

Quite the contrary in this case though, it's the fact America is full of jews that makes everything a trademark nightmare.

But nobody's talking about China

PSO2 is just too good for this world tbh.
I am so happy there was no western release.

Because they know they're all the same

id made Doom and Quake, more of a cameo than crossover

In other words…the US copyright and intellectual property laws are the reason why we rarely get Western crossovers?

Copyright law.

Hotline Miami did a crossover with PAYDAY 2 awhile ago.

user, you are aware of Postal Redux, right?
You can coop Postal with Not Important and Postal Dude

Remember how Microsoft views vidya competitors.

I heard BJ and Doomguy might appear in Quake Champions or something
Also, can we forget that PS move heroes or Sony Smash were ever a thing?

NO MAI
NO BAI

Most of crossovers have same company behind both of the games.
Plus western developers try to be overly too serious and have no characters that could be used as a mascot for cross over.